I had a 523 error after installing a 3rd-party theme. A kind member here let me know this could be fixed by using loader.exe to find and remove the offending module. I did this and my Berry was back to normal.

During the process, I removed the module for the problem theme, to which I hadn't made any settings changes including the wallpaper, and I also removed another theme I had installed earlier that day, and which was not a problem. I did it "just in case." I later reinstalled that non-problematic theme, but this was after the following problem appeared.

I went to back up my data using Desktop Manager (Version 5), and everything went well except for the "theme options" (or is it "theme settings"...?). I was rewarded with an error message stating that it could not be backed up ("0 of 1"). Just that one "database;" so far as I can tell everything else was backed up successfully. Theme Options is listed, but instead of having a number and a filesize next to it, the columns are completely blank.

I thought this might have had to do with the device remembering the settings for that 2nd, non-problematic theme I'd removed. So I reinstalled it, did the customary battery pull, and attempted to do another backup. Same error message.

See Attached Screenshots.

The only remedy I can think of is to restore theme settings from an older backup file that pre-dates the new theme even being installed. The only other remedy that comes to mind is the suggestion that I uninstall and then reinstall Desktop Manager.

EDiT: I used Add/Remove Programs for DM and selected the "Repair" option. I was prompted to reboot my PC, which I then did. After loading DM I did a backup and the problem persisted.

This is the problem; does anyone have a solution?
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 06-09-10 at 05:21 PM. Reason: Added Screenshots
    03-11-10 12:03 PM
    Hey Juice! I used to get the same Error message. I got it on my Flip and just a couple of days ago on my 9700. The Back up itself was successful?! I don't even know which one couldn't be backed up but as far as i concern I don't really bother. Device working properly. @ the beginning it didn't happened but after a few upgrade it started and ever since it was always there. (on my flip)
    03-12-10 06:39 PM
    I would suggest uninstalling the Desktop Manager and then re-installing it. Then try the advanced backup and see if it works. If it does not, I would do the only other thing possible, which is restore(advanced so you're only installing one thing) from an older backup. What device software version are you using??
    03-12-10 07:12 PM
    Device Software is 4.6.1.231, DM version 5.0.1

Times like these are when I'm truly grateful to be in the habit of regularly backing up my PC and BlackBerry data. It's a lesson no one should have to learn the hard way.
    03-12-10 07:33 PM
    As it turns out, you guys are the only two respondents, not only here but on at least two other support forums. The threads have views but no responses. Thank you both for at least making an effort.

What I wound up doing was wiping my Berry in utter frustration, and installing a fresh new beta copy of OS 6.

LOL imagine?

No really, what I actually did was use "advanced backup" to replace the problem "theme settings" database with one from a backup from a day or so before this all happened. It solved the problem, and my backups no longer produce any errors. The only thing is that it reset all the wallpapers to default settings in all my themes, but that's a small price to pay for solving the problem.

Like I said, every computer user and every BB addict should be making regular backups, daily if possible, and save them to multiple locations. For instance I back up certain folders on my PC to two separate external hard drives, and included in these folders is the one where I keep my daily BB backup files.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-18-10 03:47 AM
    As it turns out, you guys are the only two respondents, not only here but on at least two other support forums. The threads have views but no responses. Thank you both for at least making an effort.

What I wound up doing was wiping my Berry in utter frustration, and installing a fresh new beta copy of OS 6.

LOL imagine?

No really, what I actually did was use "advanced backup" to replace the problem "theme settings" database with one from a backup from a day or so before this all happened. It solved the problem, and my backups no longer produce any errors. The only thing is that it reset all the wallpapers to default settings in all my themes, but that's a small price to pay for solving the problem.

Like I said, every computer user and every BB addict should be making regular backups, daily if possible, and save them to multiple locations. For instance I back up certain folders on my PC to two separate external hard drives, and included in these folders is the one where I keep my daily BB backup files.

Daily backup files? U backing up daily? Why? What possibly can be changed in a day?
    03-18-10 11:18 PM
    A good question that deserves a good answer.

Pictures, memos, theme settings, contacts, web browser bookmarks...those are five of the data most likely to be updated on a daily basis. Also text messages and emails. The same can apply to my PC. Hardly a day goes by when I don't add at least one new contact, take a few pictures, or receive an important message that I need to archive. The small size of the backup files, or in my PC's case the fact that I'm backing up to two 500 GB hard drives, means that the benefits far, far outweigh the cost. And it has happened more than once that I've needed someone's contact information that I only had in a backup, or needed to refer back to a message that I'd deleted off my device. You never know when hardware is gunna crash, that's why I feel that I need to save copies of my work early and often. And I say this as a user of current hardware, not old secondhand stuff. Quality products too, not bargain builds. It can happen to anyone, anytime.

03-18-10 11:30 PM
    A good question that deserves a good answer.

Pictures, memos, theme settings, contacts, web browser bookmarks...those are five of the data most likely to be updated on a daily basis. Also text messages and emails. The same can apply to my PC. Hardly a day goes by when I don't add at least one new contact, take a few pictures, or receive an important message that I need to archive. The small size of the backup files, or in my PC's case the fact that I'm backing up to two 500 GB hard drives, means that the benefits far, far outweigh the cost. And it has happened more than once that I've needed someone's contact information that I only had in a backup, or needed to refer back to a message that I'd deleted off my device. You never know when hardware is gunna crash, that's why I feel that I need to save copies of my work early and often. And I say this as a user of current hardware, not old secondhand stuff. Quality products too, not bargain builds. It can happen to anyone, anytime.

Appreciate the answer. Here is what it is for me. U say pictures. I say it goes to the Memo card not on the device. Memos yes definitely. Theme setting? It has to be a third party app back up which is way more difficult. U doing it daily? Contacts? I have them on my SIM and in my gmail account. SMS? I don't have any important one, as a matter of fact I always delete everything after sending/receiving. I know i'm crazy. I try to save memory not messages. lol Emails? Going onto my pc so I don't keep them on my BB again. What else? That's it 4me.
    03-18-10 11:47 PM
    Er...browser bookmarks then? Lol. And I think I have more numbers than space on my sim card, it's filled! You make a great point about Gmail for contacts, in fact that's the reason I use the Gmail app rather than just put the account directly on my BB. But when I add contacts to my Gmail, I do it from the vCard files that I export from my BB phone book, so for me it's important to have the phone book itself backed up "just in case." I also regularly "export all contacts" via Bluetooth and save them in a datestamped folder on my PC. This gives me a current archive in a usable universal format. Which reminds me, I find it nothing short of deplorable that BB lacks native vCard support as such. I can import if the vCard is attached to an email, or export if I'm sending all contacts or a group, but what about the one-at-a-time import/export functions that seem so basic on all other smartphones? I mean for goodness sakes, even my old SideKick could do that.

What all this really shows, however, is that we each have a different approach to how we use our BBs, and what we do with our data, but that we're both right, because we each have the system that's right for us.

I hope you're doing backups of what's on your memory card though! lol!
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-19-10 at 01:37 AM.
    03-19-10 01:32 AM
    As it turns out, the error resurfaced after having a couple of days of nothing but error-free backups.

THE PROBLEM ISN'T FIXED AFTER ALL.

HELP PLEASE?
    03-19-10 09:22 AM
    Er...browser bookmarks then? Lol. And I think I have more numbers than space on my sim card, it's filled! You make a great point about Gmail for contacts, in fact that's the reason I use the Gmail app rather than just put the account directly on my BB. But when I add contacts to my Gmail, I do it from the vCard files that I export from my BB phone book, so for me it's important to have the phone book itself backed up "just in case." I also regularly "export all contacts" via Bluetooth and save them in a datestamped folder on my PC. This gives me a current archive in a usable universal format. Which reminds me, I find it nothing short of deplorable that BB lacks native vCard support as such. I can import if the vCard is attached to an email, or export if I'm sending all contacts or a group, but what about the one-at-a-time import/export functions that seem so basic on all other smartphones? I mean for goodness sakes, even my old SideKick could do that.

What all this really shows, however, is that we each have a different approach to how we use our BBs, and what we do with our data, but that we're both right, because we each have the system that's right for us.

I hope you're doing backups of what's on your memory card though! lol!
    I do. I even backing up my stuff to a flash drive in case my PC breaks.
    03-19-10 09:33 PM
    After Upgrading to OS 5...I STILL GET THIS SAME THEME SETTINGS BACKUP ERROR!

This is AFTER using Advanced Backup/Restore to CLEAR that database and THEN upgrading.
    03-29-10 03:03 PM
    After Upgrading to OS 5...I STILL GET THIS SAME THEME SETTINGS BACKUP ERROR!

This is AFTER using Advanced Backup/Restore to CLEAR that database and THEN upgrading.
    It would be a simple, yet smart thing next time you have an issue to let someone know, like the person who made the theme, so that maybe they can address the issue. I guess that makes too much sense.
    03-30-10 09:38 AM
    Dude, I left a comment on your site, on the page for the theme that did all this. Posted it the day it happened, no less. Ditto my original comment on the other thread. Made a lot of sense at the time, but nobody responded. I don't mean just you, I mean NOBODY responded. With the exception of a handful of replies on this thread, I haven't had much luck getting help with this. The thread doesn't even get views, let alone responses. After this length of time, and the fact that an OS upgrade didn't help, I'd started to become quite frustrated.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-30-10 at 11:49 AM.
    03-30-10 11:40 AM
    Dude, frustrated or not, you (or your trusted sources) never once reached out to me directly. I get a ton of spam on my site and can't get to every comment everyone posts. My email is posted and you could have sent me a PM here, but instead you wanted to be malicious and wait until I release a premium theme to trash me and my work publicly. It makes no sense to me.

The app error happens randomly from what everyone has seen. And it happens to a ton of theme builders. Blame RIM, as I always test my themes and have other test them as well. The one smart thing you did, from what I gather, is make a backup of your stuff. But if you want to continue to bash me and my work when other themers' themes have had this issue, you'll never get anywhere.
    03-30-10 12:17 PM
    Dude, frustrated or not, you (or your trusted sources) never once reached out to me directly. I get a ton of spam on my site and can't get to every comment everyone posts. My email is posted and you could have sent me a PM here, but instead you wanted to be malicious and wait until I release a premium theme to trash me and my work publicly. It makes no sense to me.

The app error happens randomly from what everyone has seen. And it happens to a ton of theme builders. Blame RIM, as I always test my themes and have other test them as well. The one smart thing you did, from what I gather, is make a backup of your stuff. But if you want to continue to bash me and my work when other themers' themes have had this issue, you'll never get anywhere.
    Floyd he didn't have the intension to trash you believe me. He did address his issue as soon as he ran into it. I read about it. Wendy gave him a solution to try out. Moon Juice is a nice guy besides I don't think it would trash yur reputation as a themer. Everybody knows u r a good themer with nice jobs done. Cuz one of yur theme gave some issue to one person it does not mean that anybody else would have it. Don't get upset, he didn't even blame u. He was just simply asking for a help.
    Just my 2 cents.
    03-30-10 12:38 PM
    Thank you. You're right; I'm not trying to "trash" anybody. As far as the timing with this premium theme, while it may be unfortunate, this isn't at all related. And how could it be? I'm not psychic.

Incidentally, I went back to the page for the Canvas theme...and it's been taken down.
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-31-10 at 02:10 AM. Reason: Magic 8 Ball told me to
    03-30-10 01:06 PM
    Thank you. You're right; I'm not trying to "trash" anybody. As far as the timing with this premium theme, while it may be unfortunate, this isn't at all related.

Incidentally, I went back to the page for the Canvas theme...and it's been taken down.
    In regard to your last statement, I have horrible theme/phone luck and i use his Canvas themes religiously because they work fastest and best on my phone. He took it down because if it causes issues for one person then it would be best to look further into the problem. Or leave it up for others to have an issue and not contact him directly? You still complain even after the right thing was done.

03-30-10 05:45 PM
    Everybody knows u r a good themer with nice jobs done. Cuz one of yur theme gave some issue to one person it does not mean that anybody else would have it.
    I don't agree with this statement at all and that's my issue with this guy. I spent years building my reputation and someone like this guy can destroy it instantly. Ive seen it done before. And again, the bigger issue is he didn't contact me directly so that maybe I can do him justice and work with him and possibly do a custom theme free of charge. I didn't even know until now that he had an issue so who knows how many times my theme was downloaded and its happened.

Thank you. You're right; I'm not trying to "trash" anybody. As far as the timing with this premium theme, while it may be unfortunate, this isn't at all related.

Yes Canvas was taken down, obviously because you had an issue with and I would hate for others to have the same issue. Because I know now that it may cause an error, I'm going to start from scratch. Again, I guess that makes too much sense. Maybe I'm obsessed with being smart and making good decisions.
    03-30-10 05:54 PM
    Dude, frustrated or not, you (or your trusted sources) never once reached out to me directly... My email is posted and you could have sent me a PM here.
    This is a good point. I had seen your responses to other comments on the theme page, so in good faith I figured that you'd see mine as well and comment back. I'll take the lumps for not trying harder to reach out to you in a PM or via email.

For the record, I'm not trying to "bash" you or discredit your themes. Perhaps it wasn't the best judgement to repeat what I'd heard, after all it's not like I was there, I never actually saw the other people's phones. I put it out there for the community at large in the hope that it would generate some kind of constructive feedback, not start a flame war.

You still complain even after the right thing was done.
    Complain? Where? I'm stating a fact. The page is taken down.

Let me just say that the reason I wound up on Floyd's site in the first place is because of all the good word of mouth he has around this site. I figured that with what I'd read here, there must be something worth checking out. After leaving comments here and on the Canvas page and hearing nothing back, it felt as though the issue were being ignored, and that didn't sit right with me. I don't know if it was intentional or not, and I've never claimed otherwise.

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and strike the hearsay from today's earlier post. Fair?
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-30-10 at 08:49 PM.
    03-30-10 06:08 PM
    And this, I think this is a wholly appropriate response to the picture of the vehicle.

Sorry lol I had to
    Last edited by Moon_Juice; 03-31-10 at 01:52 AM.
    03-30-10 10:04 PM
    Okay. Back to troubleshooting.

Used DM to clear Theme Settings DB - again - then battery pull.

Spent however long manually restoring things to the way I want them, arranging icons and folders on the first half of My installed themes. Device began to show signs of slowing down, so I used DM to back the theme settings up as they stood.

It worked.

I then continued as before, with the next couple of themes, figuring to do as much as possible before the next batt pull.

Attempted to make another backup - and it failed.

So I'm back to square one again, except that I have a usable backup file for a very small percentage of the themes I use.

04-06-10 06:22 PM
    Reloaded .411, then the next day upgraded to .592 . STILL have this problem.
    05-13-10 02:53 PM
    Wiped with CrackMem, reloaded OS, couple of weeks went by...problem returned.
    06-09-10 05:18 PM
    I have some problem as well. Hopefully MJ doesn't mind i"m high jacking his thread cuz i think it's related. I wanted to upgrade my OS w/ a device wipe. Did my back up, 3rd party back up etc. I have tried in the past using BBSak and JL_cmder. None of those would recognize my connected BB. So i been using CrackMem. With JL_cmder i get as far as type blackberry, the screen turns red but at the next step it goes back black and nothing happens.
    So i use CrackMem. Follow all the instruction, checking all the apps i don't want to include in the new OS everything is fine. I wipe my device, load OS, re-load back ups, apps and Voila! All the pre-loaded s*it is there again. It happened twice already. What the heck goes wrong?
    Any help is much appreciated.
    06-09-10 06:49 PM
62 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD