Hey all,

I have been trying not to use BB Desktop Manager because every time I do it duplicates my calendar entries, even though the manager does not recognize any calendars on my mac (it's a mess. I got so frustrated with it I just stopped using it all together, opting to just use Lookout [contact backup] and Google Sync [calendar backup] instead).

Anyway, the only thing I have used the Desktop Manager for is putting music on the 9650, but every time I do this, like I said before, my calendar gets automatically synced.

So, one main question: Can I put playlists on my BB without using Desktop Manager sync?

And one sub-question: If I can't get playlists on my BB without Desktop Manager, is there a way to stop it from syncing everything except the music?

Thanks!!
    08-01-10 08:04 PM
    You can just DL and use BB Media Sync. It will read your iTunes playlists and let you choose which ones to sync on the BB. I use it all the time. Works great!

http://m.blackberry.com/us/en/mediasync.html

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    08-01-10 08:34 PM
    You can just DL and use BB Media Sync. It will read your iTunes playlists and let you choose which ones to sync on the BB. I use it all the time. Works great!

http://m.blackberry.com/us/en/mediasync.html

Ahhh, see I always thought that BB media sync was part of desktop manager, didn't realize it was a program in and of itself. Thanks a bunch, I'll give it a shot!!

08-01-10 10:21 PM
    Enable Mass Storage Mode and without DM drag and drop them all at once. Takes a few seconds.

08-01-10 11:48 PM
    Enable Mass Storage Mode and without DM drag and drop them all at once. Takes a few seconds.

Yeah but how will that make it into a playlist?
    08-02-10 08:33 AM
    Yeah but how will that make it into a playlist?
    It won't. You need to use BB Media Sync.
    08-02-10 08:37 AM
    Thats what I thought.
    08-02-10 08:42 AM
    Yep, unfortunately for Desktop Manager on Mac, Media Sync is bundled as part of the complete package, which means I can't just sync media without syncing everything else. This leads me to another question for you responders:

When I initially ran the DM software, I seem to remember having the option to sync or not sync calendars, contacts, tasks, etc. I originally wanted to sync my calendar, so I chose two-way sync, but I've since started using Google Sync exclusively, as mentioned in my original post. I have tried forgetting my device and uninstalling DM, then re-downloading and reinstalling, to no avail. Still don't have the option to not sync my calendar. It says there are no calendars on my computer to sync (even though there are, in iCal), and then when it does sync (i.e., to add a Genius playlist to my SD card), it creates duplicate entries on my BB calendar. It happens every time, and every time I need to do a restore to a prior week's calendar through DM, then sync with Google Calendar again to get all the appointments I've made in the past week. There has to be a better way, right?

So, is there any way to get DM back to its original form, so I can choose NOT to sync anything but my media files?
    08-02-10 08:56 AM
    I did a quick google search and if you were willing to pay ($40) there are options out there. I found The Missing Sync: BlackBerry Sync Mac - Bluetooth sync for BlackBerry and Mac with iTunes, Entourage, iCal and iPhoto

Who knows. It's an option if you want to bag DM.
    08-02-10 09:15 AM
    I don't use the genius, but have dragged and dropped existing playlists from itunes and have all the folders and subfolders intact. They even play with the album art. You could always create your own playlists within your bb, but I guess that's too much work.

08-02-10 09:20 AM
    I did a quick google search and if you were willing to pay ($40) there are options out there. I found The Missing Sync: BlackBerry Sync Mac - Bluetooth sync for BlackBerry and Mac with iTunes, Entourage, iCal and iPhoto

Who knows. It's an option if you want to bag DM.
    I would LOVE to bag DM, ha. It would be awesome to just have one program to back up my entire BB, but it seems for Mac users, solutions lie with multiple programs. I currently use Lookout for contacts and photos, Google Calendar for my calendar, and DM for music and everything else. I'm going to do a bit more research before I drop $40 on the Missing Sync solution, though it does look promising.

I don't use the genius, but have dragged and dropped existing playlists from itunes and have all the folders and subfolders intact. They even play with the album art. You could always create your own playlists within your bb, but I guess that's too much work.
    Are you a Mac user? Were you able to just drag directly from iTunes to the finder (assuming you navigated to the "Music" folder on the SD card)? If so that would be fiiiiiiiiiine by me.
    08-02-10 09:31 AM

Oh and one other thing, I didn't use Genius until this weekend. I just decided to test it out because I was bored and it's actually a really cool little system. Basically just select a song in your library, hit the genius button, and then iTunes draws information from its databases and based on what other Genius users have put in their libraries/playlists, it creates a random playlist from your library. After it loads the playlist, you can save it just like any other playlist, so hopefully it can be dragged/dropped just like anything else.
    08-02-10 09:33 AM
    Unfortunately JMBB I'm a PC. Sorry to get you excited for nothing. My apologies.

08-02-10 09:42 AM
    Unfortunately JMBB I'm a PC. Sorry to get you excited for nothing. My apologies.

So do you drag and drop the playlist itself or do you go into the playlist, then highlight everything and then drop into the bb music folder?

If you do the playlist itself... So, it will copy all songs into the main music folder, but create a separate, new playlist for what you just added?

Just wondering how this works, as I've wondered how to make manual playlists without doing it one by one on the device.
    08-02-10 09:48 AM

Damn! haha. Welp, worth a try.
    08-02-10 10:43 AM
    Like I said Pi, I haven't done the Genius thing but rob my gf's itunes regularly. If you have Mass Storage mode enabled you pc sees it as a storage device ie: Drive E on mine. I don't see why you can't create Genius playlists then drag them into your music folder. Just highlight the playlists themselves. That's what I do when I grab the music folders. But since I haven't tried it no guarantees! Let us know how it pans out.

Last edited by albee 1; 08-02-10 at 11:25 AM.
    08-02-10 11:17 AM
    Like I said Pi, I haven't done the Genius thing but rob my gf's itunes regularly. If you have Mass Storage mode enabled you pc sees it as a storage device ie: Drive E on mine. I don't see why you can't create Genius playlists then drag them into your music folder. Just highlight the playlists themselves. That's what I do when I grab the music folders. But since I haven't tried it no guarantees! Let us know how it pans out.

I have a PC that I keep around in case I have to work from home, might just load my music on there and use that to sync with my BB. (Macs "just work", they just don't work with anything else)
    08-02-10 11:32 AM
    Naw they don't JMBB, just make sure and go to Menu/Options/Memory and turn on Mass Storage Mode Support and Auto Enable Mass Storage Mode and you won't need the DM.

08-02-10 11:47 AM
    I have a stupid question along the lines of a playlist. I've used media sync to get my music on my blackberry but now I'd like to create playlists from that master playlist.

If I sync two playlists that have duplicate songs, my blackberry won't create a duplicate file and take up unnecessary space? I don't think that is the case, just wanted to be sure.
    08-03-10 06:39 PM
    Um.. on a mac you can just select not to sync the other stuff..
    08-03-10 07:30 PM
    Um.. on a mac you can just select not to sync the other stuff..(sweet illustration omitted)
    Thanks for the heads up (and the sweet illustration), but I assure you that if this were a visible option in my Desktop Manager, I would have already taken advantage of it.

When I highlight the "Calendar" tab, it says something along the lines of "This computer has no calendars to sync", and does not give me any options at all. I stated this in my original post, and further explained it in my 08-02-10 9:56am post. I have tried uninstalling completely and re-downloading the original .dmg file and reinstalling, without any changes.
    08-04-10 11:30 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD