Okay..this might sound like a dumb question. I have an unlocked ROGERS phone on the FIDO network. When I look at the OS for my blackberry, it is V5.0.0.411 but, when I open the desktop manager I go to the update software, it says blackberry 4.6 upgrade is available...should i upgrade?? but it seems like it's a downgrade...
    05-17-10 09:11 AM
    Do not use the DM for upgrades. Do not use an OTA by DM upgrade..

When you do an OS upgrade use a download of the OS to your computer, remove the vendor file (if the OS is not from your phone company) then use LOADER.exe to do the upgrade.

Keep what you have:
    The OS that you have is as close to the current RIM official OS that you need. The current OS is the one listed on top of this forum.
    Last edited by mandony; 05-17-10 at 11:16 AM.
    05-17-10 09:32 AM
    i have the same problem... i tried doing an upgrade using CrackMem but nothing is working... i deleted the vendor file, i unchecked it... but every single time the same message pops up:

"The blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator"

the message comes up in application loader wizard when running crackmem...
    05-17-10 09:47 AM
    i have the same problem... i tried doing an upgrade using CrackMem but nothing is working... i deleted the vendor file, i unchecked it... but every single time the same message pops up:

"The blackberry desktop software does not have blackberry device software for the device that you have connected to the computer. Contact your wireless service provider or system administrator"

the message comes up in application loader wizard when running crackmem...
    It's not the same problem, you either don't have an OS installed on your PC, or you have the wrong one installed for your particular device.
    05-17-10 09:53 AM
    It's not the same problem, you either don't have an OS installed on your PC, or you have the wrong one installed for your particular device.
    what do you mean? it might not be the same problem.. i currently have v4.6 and i'm trying to upgrade to 5.0... the operating system i have installed on my pc is the 5.0 i just downloaded... every single time i try to install it, the app loader wont recognize it
    05-17-10 09:59 AM
    You might have some stuff on the PC that must be removed and reinstalled.

On your PC:

Using add remove programs: remove the DM (Don't worry, you will reinstall it later).
    Find the OS installed on your PC and delete them as follows:

Go to:
    programs> common files >research in motion > apploader > (delete all)
    and
    > removed files > (delete all)
    > shared files > (delete all)

On the PC remove all the temporary files by:

start menu > accessories > disk clean up (run and remove all temporary files)
    Reboot the PC

Install the DM new.

On the phone:

Use DM to backup the data files on the phone
    Wipe the phone using the phone:

tools> options> security options> security wipe

Install the current OS using the instruction:

Download the OS onto your computer.
    Then:

Go to:
    programs> common files >research in motion
    > apploader > and delete the vendor file (if the OS is not from your carrier)
    Click on loader.exe and you will load the OS.
    05-17-10 11:14 AM
    perfect! it worked... thanks a lot
    05-17-10 11:17 AM
    okay thanks..hmm

sounds complicated lol i'm on my work pc and i use a mac at home. so i guess i'll just leave it for now and just use the DM to do back ups.

Thanks for your help though! solves my question
    05-17-10 11:39 AM
    sounds complicated
    Actually. it is quite easy> Most steps are automatic.
    I don't know how to do it on the MAC but on the PC your time is about five minutes and the computer does the rest.

If you know how to do a DM B/U then this is just as easy.
    05-17-10 11:51 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD