06-27-12 11:56 AM
29 12
tools
    Get it here: https://swdownloads.blackberry.com/D...247A852FAD3647

I hope they fixed the disastrous issues that plagued 7.0 B44...

I'm a little scared to try it out, tbh.
    05-29-12 05:56 PM
    Same here. I'm losing my trust on it. If someone have downloaded and used it, would you kindly give us an honest review? I hope they've fixed "backing up smart card" freezing.
    05-30-12 10:36 PM
    Gave it a try.

Synced organizer data with Outlook (2007) with no problems.
    Win 7, 64
    bold 9900

Seems to connect faster to my bb too.
    06-01-12 01:20 PM
    This "update" is a total disaster for me - sync is failing with a variety of different error codes.

Quite staggering that they would release an update in this condition whilst pulling the previous stable version from their site.

I would recommend avoiding this one for now - it doesn't appear to change much functionality in any case (even if it was working).
    06-03-12 12:59 PM
    Any updates on this post? This is exactly why I'm not downloading it yet. The .44 release sucked and was hoping this one wouldn't. Updates please as it helps everyone.
    Thanks!
    06-07-12 04:51 PM
    Gave it a try.

Synced organizer data with Outlook (2007) with no problems.
    Win 7, 64
    bold 9900

Seems to connect faster to my bb too.
    Any updates yet Salexs11? I just saw the email notice come down from BB to upgrade but will wait to hear more from you/others. Thanks for any input you can give us.
    06-07-12 05:40 PM
    Well, I was "brave" (or dumb) enough to update without reading the reviews first and the software is giving me issues with my Outlook calendar sync, but oddly enough only when two way sync is enabled and I only have one calendar on my device (Outlook)...

Wait scratch that... I am getting the following during sync of the calendar:

"A program error occurred at line 140 in .\Error.cpp. Please report this error by sending a log to technical support"

So does anyone know how to contact technical support? I love new software...
    06-08-12 09:21 AM
    Hey @JC61 could you post some of the errors that you are getting? I can look into it. Also some environment information would help (Device Model, PC OS, Outlook version, etc...)
    06-08-12 09:23 AM
    @ShawnOST. You must call your carrier for initial troubleshooting and for them to create the case and transfer you to Tech Support. The number for AT&T is 800-331-0500 (7/24 availability) or
    dial 611 from an AT&T Device.
    06-08-12 09:27 AM
    This last build is so bad, when I tried to uninstall it, it somehow failed. I can no longer install any earlier builds as I always get a 'newer version already installed' message everytime, even after cleaning the registry or using software like revouninstaller.

Even more annoying, I can't re-install the 60 build as it always gives me a Error 1316. A network error occured while attempting to read from the file C:\windows\installer\blackberry desktop software.msi

Therefore, I am now softwareless...

Running win 7 64. Anyone else has that issue?
    06-08-12 01:01 PM
    You should download the software again, save it to your hard drive and run the installer again. You may also clean your Windows registry by using this tool CCleaner. Back it up before making any changes
    AJKendrick likes this.
    06-08-12 01:06 PM
    Done, and worked. Going to try re-installing 6.0.2 now. Even the 7.1 beta hasn't fixed the sync issues with Outlook.

Thanks!
    06-08-12 01:15 PM
    My pleasure AJKendrick... Do you have an specific problem with Outlook and BBDS? What can you please provide more details? Error messages, environment information? I could look into it
    06-08-12 01:26 PM
    Ok it didn't work after all, I still can't reinstall an earlier version as I'm still getting the 'Newer version installed' message even after running CCleaner.

What the initial sync message was telling me was something along the lines of a MAPI problem synching, telling me to change settings for an Outlook profile. DS 6 was able to sync with the hotmail accounts, but 7 cannot, apparently.

I just don't remember the initial error message, as I am still unable to get any DS software to even install at this point.

Running windows 7 64, Outlook and Office 2010 64 as well. The phone itself is a 9800.
    06-08-12 01:43 PM
    Ok, so I can't roll back to a 6 install, but it will take the 7.1 Beta install.

So the initial error (same error given in the 7.0 install) was

Synchornization Error:"MAPI logon failed. Please run Outlook with the profile "Outlook" selected and try again."

For Calendar and tasks.
    tdleon likes this.
    06-08-12 02:04 PM
    It is weird that is not letting you roll back to 6... I have tested this back at home several times and it goes through fine... Will see if I can find anything
    With the syncing issue this information should help

Overview
    When attempting to sync with the BlackBerry Desktop Software the following error message appears:

Mapi Logon Failed. Please run Outlook with the profile "profile name" selected and try again.

Cause
    Synchronization with Microsoft Office Outlook Connector and Outlook Mobile Service is not supported.

Microsoft Outlook 2003 and 2007 include an add-in feature called Microsoft Office Outlook Connector. This feature allows the configuration of MSN Passport to connect to web-based email accounts, such as Windows Live™ Hotmail. Microsoft Outlook 2007 includes an add-in feature called Outlook Mobile Service that allows the configuration of an email address to send Short Message Service (SMS) messages and Multimedia Messaging Services (MMS) messages to a mobile device.

As far as I could tell, there isn't a fix for this but you can work around it by following this knowledge article, is about creating a new MAPI (Messaging Application Programming Interface ) profile
    KB02083-How to create a Microsoft Outlook MAPI profile
    How to create and configure an email profile in Outlook 2010, Outlook 2007, and Outlook 2003

Then, you should connect your new MAPI profile
    KB03650-How to configure the BlackBerry Desktop Manager to use a new MAPI profile
    06-08-12 02:58 PM
    I posted my answer about 30 minutes ago but it has been moderated. Just gotta wait for it
    06-08-12 03:26 PM
    Ok it didn't work after all, I still can't reinstall an earlier version as I'm still getting the 'Newer version installed' message even after running CCleaner.

What the initial sync message was telling me was something along the lines of a MAPI problem synching, telling me to change settings for an Outlook profile. DS 6 was able to sync with the hotmail accounts, but 7 cannot, apparently.

I just don't remember the initial error message, as I am still unable to get any DS software to even install at this point.

Running windows 7 64, Outlook and Office 2010 64 as well. The phone itself is a 9800.
    This sounds a bit strange but I have had issues like this with other software not uninstalling properly, often it is a registry entry or software not being removed.

Uninstall BlackBerry from control panel/programs.
    Before looking at the registry check for any programs or program data in "computer" given that you have no other blackberry programs, To be safe any BlackBerry "backup"files (found in Documents-BlackBerry) copy to a different disk drive, external disk drive or usbstick as you may delete them if you need to go into the registry, do a search for any other BlackBerry RIM program entries and delete them.
    Go to downloads (C: Users/name/downloads)delete unwanted downloaded BlackBerry file.
    Run CCcleaner
    I would restart the computer
    This is the process which I have had to use when uninstalling simulators and also DM 7

This should allow a earlier copy of Desktop Manager to install

I am running windows 7 32bit office 2010, have 9810 and 32gb playbook
    Desktop manager 6.1.0.35 and device manager 7

I hope this helps
    06-08-12 05:12 PM
    I am bailing on this version. Checked Crackberry 2 days ago and no negative comments on it. just installed the upgrade and with Organizer Sync :

1) When I click to open the Filters/Field Mappings sections (Configure - Advanced), no fields show up and if I click OK it immediately closes Desktop Manager

2) Before I did the upgrade I did a 2 way sync with my previous version and it worked fine; When I ran the sync with the new version it detected 55 differences; I checked them all out and in many cases could see no differences so eventually I said sync from device; The Summary showed 2 changes to Outlook data and 5 changes to device data - that doesn't add up - so I cancelled the sync

3) Looking at the sync summary it doesn't indicate what type of record the conflict is on - Calendar, Task, etc. - so you have to open each one; However, once you close it then your selected location on the conflict list is no longer hilighted so you have to remember which one it is by date or something

Using WIN 7, Outlook 2003.

This is a piece of trash - their second in a row. It's hard to use, has obvious stability issues, and appears to have problems with core functionality. I cannot believe this, and I am at the point I hope a blogger reads this thread and trumpets RIM's poor performance to the masses; I paid good money for this device and am getting cr@p updates.

Sorry for the rant, but I'm disgusted. I hope someone reads this and it saves them the trouble I've just gone through - again.

- R.
    06-08-12 09:33 PM
    Update : Organizer Sync > Configure > Advanced now shows list of available fields and clicking OK works. I guess the first time you have to click Configure then OK to save initial settings or something.
    06-08-12 10:17 PM
    Another update after closing disconnecting Nerry, closing DTM and rebooting machine - no changes to data :

- 54 changes listed
    - Summary counts 54 changes, but 10 additions to computer and 2 to device; No additions had been shown anywhere else and I see no way to drill down from summary to see the detail

Will try again as I seem to be making a little progress

- R.
    06-08-12 10:47 PM
    Sync Preview : Shows 54 changes (see List of Changes - Tasks for reasonwhy 1 disappeared). See my post above for why I don't like the way this is presented, but at least it's there.

Sync Summary : Shows 1 Change, 10 Additions to Computer, 6 Additions to Device
    - I now see if you click "Show list of changes" it will display the list of Additions - not sure if this would also display Deletions as I don't have any
    - I wish the "Show List of Changes" had a checkbox beside it (standard imagery) instead of the box with a lightly shaded down arrow in it, but this is minor
    - It seems changes due to a conflict resolution don't show up in this screen, just the Sync Preview

List of Changes - Contacts :
    - Added 1 to Device, 1 to Computer; Was same Contact but field names were different as I guess the field names are different Outlook <> Berry
    - All the data was the same in both entries
    - No idea why it had to add an entry either way without the same thing happening to other Contacts

List of Changes - Tasks :
    - Background = During first sync I discovered the contents of the Note field for 1 entry in Outlook was being truncated during the sync (the content of the Note field was shorter in the Berry than in Outlook) so it showed up as a conflict in the Sync Preview) so I chopped half the contents of the Note field off and created a 2nd Task
    - Result seems to be the conflict no longer exists, the original (truncated) Task from the Berry is now being added to the computer and the new Outlook Task plus the older one from Outlook I chopped up is now being added to the Berry
    - Doesn't make sense to me - the original Task on the Berry plus the one on the computer I chopped up should show as a conflict; Something to watch for as this will create duplication which will need to be manually cleaned up

List of Changes - Calendar :
    - Add to Computer - all duplicated entries that were already there
    - Add to Device - Seemed to duplicate those already there but adjusted their times to match to StarEnd times of the appointments in the Outlook Calendar
    - Modify on Computer - No changes I could see

Summary of conclusions :

1) When initially installing, just click Configure > OK for each type of entry (Calendar, Task, etc); Go back in a second time if you want to edit the filters or field mapping

2) Realize that changes due to conflict resolution will show up in the Sync Preview (which is awkward to use) but NOT in the Sync Summary

3) Conflict detection seems to be improved - conflicts not detected in prior DTM versions are now going to show up (hopefully a small number! and many seem to be related to appointments created as recurring appointments or those created from Outlook invitations)

4) In Sync Summary, click the down arrow to the left of View Changes to see specific items and drill into detail

5) It seems like some data duplication will occur, hopefully minor and related to #3 as I experienced

Overall I thing it's slower than the older versions, I may come to like what I think is improved conflict detection, and I think/hope I will learn to work with the new UI but I don't like it at the moment.

I also wish RIM had better instructions (see #1 above).

Hope this helps someone.

- R.
    06-08-12 11:55 PM
    @AJKendrick, were you able to solve your issue?
    06-11-12 09:38 AM
    Thanks everybody for posting on this. I was hit on the B44 update and figured I'd check-in this time before taking the plunge. Glad I did.

RIM just doesn't learn, do they? Pulling all previous copies of desktop AND shipping a broken POS ..... *twice* is not good.

Remind me.... why do I want a BB10 device?
    06-12-12 08:54 AM
    Actually, I'd like to make it clear that I finally decided to stay with this upgrade.

It has some benefits in that the overall process seems faster and I "think" the conflict detection has been improved. Having said that, I don't like the UI as much and it's trickier to implement, though that may be because it's picking up errors the earlier version missed.

Overall, I think it's worthwhile. I just wish it was easier.

RIM has GOT to learn how to make their stuff easier and more bullet proof for the average consumer. Quality isn't just measured in results.

- R.
    06-12-12 06:21 PM
29 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD