The other day I installed the lasted OS 5 on my friends Storm 9530, now as you can see I'm a curve user, so I have OS 5 for curve installed on my computer. Now I did the whole install OS(for storm) on my laptop and etc... Now because I wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up I uninstalled my OS(for curve). I have BDM 5.01 installed,and I tried the IP Modem before and it worked great with my curve, now when I uninstalled my OS and and installed the OS for storm and tired to do the IP Modem on DM (the icon is there) it gave me a message that it was unable to detect a modem and that it could not configure( it said all this while i was using the storm) so I tried it with my phone and the same thing happened. Now when I got home I tried it again with my phone(curve) same thing again. So I uninstalled the Storm OS from computer and reinstalled my curve OS5 opened up DM and everything worked fine again! Just putting this out there, cause some are having problems with the IP, so maybe its the OS some have installed causing the problem?
    11-07-09 01:17 PM
    On Verizon and this change worked fine. Thanks OP.
    Anytime. Glad everything is working for you.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-07-09 03:20 PM
    The other day I installed the lasted OS 5 on my friends Storm 9530, now as you can see I'm a curve user, so I have OS 5 for curve installed on my computer. Now I did the whole install OS(for storm) on my laptop and etc... Now because I wanted to make sure I didn't screw anything up I uninstalled my OS(for curve). I have BDM 5.01 installed,and I tried the IP Modem before and it worked great with my curve, now when I uninstalled my OS and and installed the OS for storm and tired to do the IP Modem on DM (the icon is there) it gave me a message that it was unable to detect a modem and that it could not configure( it said all this while i was using the storm) so I tried it with my phone and the same thing happened. Now when I got home I tried it again with my phone(curve) same thing again. So I uninstalled the Storm OS from computer and reinstalled my curve OS5 opened up DM and everything worked fine again! Just putting this out there, cause some are having problems with the IP, so maybe its the OS some have installed causing the problem?
    It sounds like you don't have the standard modem installed. When you removed your os for the storm and reinstalled the os for the curve sometimes it won't install the standard modem needed to tether. Completely delete all of your os installations and desktop manager. Reinstall desktop manager and you should be good to go.

11-07-09 03:23 PM
    Hey all crackberry members. As you all know most of us are unable to get the IP modem icon in BDM 5.0.1 to stay lit up as soon as you connect your bb. I have had the same issue sense I got windows 7 which has been for 3 whole days. Crackberry member (kingslaye505) helped me fix my issue and it does work.

1. Download and Install Blackberry Desktop Manager 5.0.1 onto your computer.

2. Start up Desktop manager and go ahead and connect your berry to the desktop manager like normal (and its ok if your IP icon goes away). Once its done doing the first connection to your berry close the desktop manager.

3. (Windows 7 users) go to (C:\ProgramData\Research In Motion\Blackberry\ and open the. IP_modem_configuration file in word pad. (Xp users) go to c:/Documents and Settings\all users\application data\research in motion\blackberry (and yes you will have to make hidden files and folders unhidden). find your carrier and change all False--> to *TRUE*.

4. Go ahead and open up your desktop manager and the IP modem icon should be there and clickable.

5. On the left side click on configure then select your Carrier (under connection profile) and click on ok. (ATT users Then click on Configure under connection settings on the left side of the screen. Make a custom profile, and change the access point from ISP.CINGULAR TO WAP.CINGULAR.) Depending on your carrier of course complete all the steps except for the custom profile part.

6. Once all of the steps above and done go ahead and click on connect and bingo you are now successfully tethering your berry with desktop Manager 5.0.1

EDIT: I also recommend while is the XML file changing all of the false into true (once you find your carrier) also change your login from ISP.CINGULAR TO WAP.CINGULAR. it has worked for me so far, and I have not had any problems. If you guys have problems please post them, again, Thanks to kingslaye505 for helping me with this.
    ok so how do you do this if you have windows vista?

ok... i figured it out but the connection speed sucks.. I have Verizon and i connect at about 110.. if I use the vzw access mngr I connect at about 385.. so I guess i know which one i will use..lol'

Last edited by traindrvr63; 11-07-09 at 08:20 PM.
    11-07-09 07:06 PM
    This did not work for me on verizon.

--BlackScorpion

11-07-09 07:20 PM
    Hi guys, i am kinda stuck. i have gone thru the instructions but my issue is that i have windows vista (business) and i use a storm (9500).
    i live in nigeria. can anyone pls help me out.
    thanks
    11-08-09 02:59 PM
    I don't see the IP modem icon at all. I have S2 and I am using DM 5.0.1.

HM

Hey all crackberry members. As you all know most of us are unable to get the IP modem icon in BDM 5.0.1 to stay lit up as soon as you connect your bb. I have had the same issue sense I got windows 7 which has been for 3 whole days. Crackberry member (kingslaye505) helped me fix my issue and it does work.

2. Start up Desktop manager and go ahead and connect your berry to the desktop manager like normal (and its ok if your IP icon goes away). Once its done doing the first connection to your berry close the desktop manager.

3. (Windows 7 users) go to (C:\ProgramData\Research In Motion\Blackberry\ and open the. IP_modem_configuration file in word pad. (Xp users) go to c:/Documents and Settings\all users\application data\research in motion\blackberry (and yes you will have to make hidden files and folders unhidden). find your carrier and change all False--> to *TRUE*.

4. Go ahead and open up your desktop manager and the IP modem icon should be there and clickable.

5. On the left side click on configure then select your Carrier (under connection profile) and click on ok. (ATT users Then click on Configure under connection settings on the left side of the screen. Make a custom profile, and change the access point from ISP.CINGULAR TO WAP.CINGULAR.) Depending on your carrier of course complete all the steps except for the custom profile part.

6. Once all of the steps above and done go ahead and click on connect and bingo you are now successfully tethering your berry with desktop Manager 5.0.1

EDIT: I also recommend while is the XML file changing all of the false into true (once you find your carrier) also change your login from ISP.CINGULAR TO WAP.CINGULAR. it has worked for me so far, and I have not had any problems. If you guys have problems please post them, again, Thanks to kingslaye505 for helping me with this.
    11-08-09 07:08 PM
    I'm on Sprint and now the DM 5.0.1 offers the IP modem for me and stays lit when im connected and started I'd like to abandon the generic modem setup for tethering and use the IP modem setting in DM

does anyone know the settings for Sprint?
    11-12-09 09:27 AM
    I am also on Sprint and can't find the username, password, and access point to set up the sprint custum profile. I also cannot find sprint on the IP Modem Configuration List to Change it from False to True. Any help would be appreciated!
    11-12-09 11:47 AM
    I can't get past the Verizon Mobile Broadband Connect page which requires subscribing to monthly access at $30 for 5GB. Anyone know how to get past this page. I can't surf the web at all.....yet.
    11-12-09 12:08 PM
    I agree with desert Lady. There's no xml file in the RIM subdirectory, but I did find an ip_modem_configuration.xml in my Temporary Internet Files folder. The only way I could edit it was to copy/all into Word. You can't even see that folder in the save-as window so I put it under RIM/, then /Blackberry Media Sync/, then /Data, and no icon showed up in the Desktop Manager.
    Is there any difference in connecting through this Desktop feature from adding the Blackberry to Windows as a modem and connecting that way? I've gotten it to work that way
    11-13-09 01:45 PM
    I used your instructions but am having a peculiar result. I edited the XML file (I have Verizon). When I launched the desktop manager, I saw the IP Modem icon appear - and then it disappeared. I remembered this behavior from my first launch of the program after the upgrade. Now each time I launch the desktop program - the IP Modem icon appears briefly and then disappears. I checked the XML file and the TRUE setting is still there.

Without the deaktop program, I can initiate a dial connection via my bb modem. The problem is that my browser is forced to a Verizon authentication screen where I am required to sign up for an additional monthly fee on top of the $45 for data that I am already paying. On my windows mobile phone I had a third party app that enabled me to get on the web without any additional monthly.

11-14-09 09:52 AM
    i followed the steps with success. however, when i try to connect i get the following:

connecting to network
    authenticating on network --- this steps last several seconds until i finally get the following msg:

"Blackberry Desktop Manager failed to start and IP modem session using the connected device. The remote computer did not respond. Please check your profile settings and make sure your radio is turned on. The service might have been turned off by your wireless service provider or your administrator."

any help?
    11-15-09 09:58 AM
    can i use this setting to my 8520??

i cant log in to my dekstop manager
    11-15-09 10:03 PM
    awesome post OP, worked like a charm
    11-16-09 02:34 PM
    I did it, worked just fine for me.
    Somehow, had to go back and do it again today to i just created a shortcut to it.
    I have verizon and I'm scared to do it. I'm afraid i'm going to have hidden charges.
    Anyone else have verizon and used it with no charges???
    11-16-09 09:09 PM
    sounds good i will give it a try
    11-16-09 09:10 PM
    I did it, worked just fine for me.
    Somehow, had to go back and do it again today to i just created a shortcut to it.
    I have verizon and I'm scared to do it. I'm afraid i'm going to have hidden charges.
    Anyone else have verizon and used it with no charges???
    Anyone confirm? Is VZW Mobile Boradband service required with the IP modem if you already have voice, data, blackberry plan? Of course internet can be accessed direct from the 9530 but pages load slowly and it's a hassel to navigate with the screen. Great to have 9530 with internet in a pinch, but not fun to use unless necessary.
    11-17-09 01:28 PM
    I already CtrlF many time but it wasn't in list.
    and many times to uninstall and install again.
    can you please upload files"ip_modem....xml" for me so i can past it.
    Thanks
    11-22-09 08:17 AM
    i cant get 5.0.1 to install after download
    11-22-09 05:57 PM
    It was working a week ago..now the icon has gone missing! I re-tried your methods..it didnt work! Pls advise...Cheers
    12-01-09 01:09 AM
    I don't know why, but the icon disappears from time to time. Mine's done it about 6 times since I initially did the fix. However, I've never had a problem getting it back.
    12-01-09 08:50 AM
    I don't know why, but the icon disappears from time to time. Mine's done it about 6 times since I initially did the fix. However, I've never had a problem getting it back.
    can someone notify RIM and told them about this issue
    it's annoying that once I have the IP Modem icon working but it went missing again on other day!
    12-01-09 08:56 AM
    can someone notify RIM and told them about this issue
    it's annoying that once I have the IP Modem icon working but it went missing again on other day!
    I don't think it's a Rim issue. I think specific carriers are blocking it.
    12-01-09 12:07 PM
    It was working a week ago..now the icon has gone missing! I re-tried your methods..it didnt work! Pls advise...Cheers
    The same thing happened to me but I think it has to do if you resend your service books. For me it worked a day or two, then i reinstalled a leaked bb 5.0 OS and the icon disappeared. I then re did the config file from false to true and it has worked ever sense.

12-01-09 12:21 PM
120 ... 2345
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD