As part of a fireside chat with Brian Moynihan, Chairman & CEO of Bank of America during the BlackBerry World Tour Event held in New York last week, the BlackBerry CEO noted he was feeling motivated to get back into phones.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-30-19 04:51 PM
    AGAIN: CALLED IT!!!!!

Damn near everyone on the CB old guard: "Blackberry 10 is not supported, it will die at the end of 2019, we don't know what will happen..."

Me: "Actually, they only said Blackberry World will shut down.."

BBL: "We're officially supporting BB10 services and they're not EOL."

Old Guard: "You all are morons for thinking BBL would ever build phones again, they're a software company, we've talked about this to death, just shut up..."

Me and a few others: "Actually, it may happen, there is some evidence to suggest there's something going on here..."

BBL: "We're going to get back into phones."

Is anyone else detecting a pattern here?!!

Okay old guard, I'm done, start telling us why Chen didn't really say what he said...

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 and Jake2826 like this.
    10-30-19 09:27 PM

Damn near everyone on the CB old guard: "Blackberry 10 is not supported, it will die at the end of 2019, we don't know what will happen..."

Old Guard: "You all are morons for thinking BBL would ever build phones again, they're a software company, we've talked about this to death, just shut up..."

Me and a few others: "Actually, it may happen, there is some evidence to suggest there's something going on here..."

Okay old guard, I'm done, start telling us why Chen didn't really say what he said...

Posted via CB10
    Chen did not say "We're going to get back into phones."

Show me where he or anyone from BBL said that.
    John Albert and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-30-19 09:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    BB10 still isn't coming back. If BlackBerry Limited were to reenter smartphones, they would use Android with BlackBerry Secure.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    Last edited by bb10adopter111; 10-30-19 at 09:58 PM.
    10-30-19 09:36 PM
    BB10 still isn't coming back. If BlackBerry Mobile were to reenter smartphones, they would use Android with BlackBerry Secure.

That too.

I actually don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that BlackBerry Limited would try manufacturing their own phones again. But, it would most likely be, as the discussion was based on, limited to corporate use. And, definitely leveraging their understanding of Android as the base OS since they already secure it with their own UEM, and it's a known entity in the corporate world. Tying it to hardware would actually be relatively easy.
    skinnymike1 and Jake2826 like this.
    10-30-19 09:49 PM
    BB10 still isn't coming back. If BlackBerry Mobile were to reenter smartphones, they would use Android with BlackBerry Secure.

For the record, Blackberry Mobile hasn't left smartphones yet. It only exists as a brand name under the Chinese company TCL. Blackberry Limited, the company which makes and supports BB10, has nothing to do with the current crop of Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-19 09:52 PM
    That too.

I actually don't think it would be out of the realm of possibility that BlackBerry Limited would try manufacturing their own phones again. But, it would most likely be, as the discussion was based on, limited to corporate use. And, definitely leveraging their understanding of Android as the base OS since they already secure it with their own UEM, and it's a known entity in the corporate world. Tying it to hardware would actually be easy.
    Agreed. A basic secure Android phone for the corporate world, possibly as part of joint venture with a 2nd tier OEM like Nokia, LG, or Sony that can support sensitive industries, government, and the military might be a winner if the savings from BYOD no longer justify the risks.

La Emperor and skinnymike1 like this.
    10-30-19 09:57 PM
    For the record, Blackberry Mobile hasn't left smartphones yet. It only exists as a brand name under the Chinese company TCL. Blackberry Limited, the company which makes and supports BB10, has nothing to do with the current crop of Android devices.

Posted via CB10
    I mis-autocorrected . I meant BlackBerry Limited. Corrected.

BlackBerry Limited is 100% invested in Android for all of its other endpoint products. If they re-enter the handset market with a secure corporate phone it will be Android-based.

10-30-19 10:02 PM

Posted via CB10
    It would never be a BB10 device - that much is absolutely. certain.

I also give the chance of a new Android device between none and tiny.
    10-30-19 10:15 PM
    I mis-autocorrected . I meant BlackBerry Limited. Corrected.

BlackBerry Limited is 100% invested in Android for all of its other endpoint products. If they re-enter the handset market with a secure corporate phone it will be Android-based.

And now that we've established that, it seems to me that BBL is quite invested in QNX for many of their endpoints. In fact, they are not using Android in anything they make themselves, to my knowledge...making them completely uninvested in Android for any of their endpoint products.

Posted via CB10
    bb9900user2018 likes this.
    10-30-19 10:20 PM
    It would never be a BB10 device - that much is certain.

What we just don't know is what is being requested by corporate, government and military IT and security teams. If there is genuine demand for a more secure device than the consumer-oriented OEMs are currently offering, and if there is a preference for the fully integrated vertical security stack where BlackBerry's IP offers a sustainable advantage, then that would be a completely different business proposition.

But I think it's a safe bet BlackBerry won't re-enter any handset market where end users are making purchasing decisions

Laura Knotek and Jake2826 like this.
    10-30-19 10:24 PM
    What we just don't know is what is being requested by corporate, government and military IT and security teams. If there is genuine demand for a more secure device than the consumer-oriented OEMs are currently offering, and if there is a preference for the fully integrated vertical security stack where BlackBerry's IP offers a sustainable advantage, then that would be a completely different business proposition.

But I think it's a safe bet BlackBerry won't re-enter any handset market where end users are making purchasing decisions

My goodness, BB10 is so far behind the eight ball that it would take a couple of billion dollars over a couple of years to bring it back. And even then, it would have little to no app support, and despite what some think, enterprise use a lot of apps.

Nah, the only feasible way forward is a locked-down android device - enterprise has been scooping up Apple and Knox devices for years.

This is all fairy tale anyway.

If we're talking about some kind of dumbphone+, others would have entered the market if there had been any demand.
    10-30-19 10:27 PM
    I think we also need to keep in mind who is currently joining the workforce and has been for some time--people that never used PKB. So even if this pipedream ever happens, I doubt it will include PKBs. We have tons of workers who grew up with VKB and are quite happy and efficient at using them.

That being said, is that what the CB people want--VKB smartphones from BlackBerry? They already have a secure Android option, so I don't see why any of this would include BB10 since many industries rely on apps.
    10-30-19 10:28 PM
    And now that we've established that, it seems to me that BBL is quite invested in QNX for many of their endpoints. In fact, they are not using Android in anything they make themselves, to my knowledge...making them completely uninvested in Android for any of their endpoint products.

Posted via CB10
    But QNX isn't a mobile handset OS. They'd be starting from scratch, with a huge startup cost. And all of BlackBerry Limited's endpoint management and security solutions are iOS and Android-based. They'd have to redevelop all of those products as well.

The only way I see them developing a third mobile OS is if enterprise leaders are 100% guaranteeing rapid adoption of it. That's not impossible, but I don't see any sign of it happening.

Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-30-19 10:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    I don’t believe there will be anymore BB10 or BBAndroid devices from BB proper or any licensee. BB proper really doesn’t have the scale or the capital to compete in the mobile hardware space....
    John Albert likes this.
    10-30-19 10:30 PM

Posted via CB10
    No, but they are using Android for the OS being loaded on the BBMo phones. The OS, and the Hub+ Suite is developed by BBL.

BBL has to maintain investments in working with Android, along with iOS as well, to keep their UEM updated for the customers they are still making money from. And we know Apple ain't gonna let anyone else use iOS.

BB10 has QNX, but QNX is not BB10.
    app_Developer likes this.
    10-30-19 10:33 PM
    It would never be a BB10 device - that much is absolutely. certain.

Are you as sure about this as 3 years support for the K1? As sure as, No PKB issues until recently? As sure as, All is fine with BBMo, as recently as 2 months ago? As sure as PIE was coming, one month ago?
    Why would you rail against another True BlackBerry Droid devise or even as a long shot, a BB10 resurrection? Are these things not in line with your critically logical thinking?
    the_boon and The_Passporter like this.
    10-30-19 10:40 PM
    I don’t believe there will be anymore BB10 or BBAndroid devices from BB proper or any licensee. BB proper really doesn’t have the scale or the capital to compete in the mobile hardware space....
    Since the comments by the B of A exec started this discussion, let's assume for a minute that enterprise leaders have decided that BYOD is now too expensive due to the security risk it presents, and they wish to buy large volumes of mid-range "drone phones" with the kind of vertical hardware-software integrity that plays to BlackBerry's strengths.

In that context, I can see BlackBerry partnering with another OEM in a joint venture to develop, manufacture and market such a phone.

skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-30-19 10:43 PM
    My goodness, BB10 is so far behind the eight ball that it would take a couple of billion dollars over a couple of years to bring it back.
    @bb10adopter111 already stated that it would only work as an Android solution. He never said it would be BB10.
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-30-19 10:43 PM

Posted via CB10
    As much as I would love a resurrection of BB10, as it would be Glorious! I would also be content with a True BlackBerry Android built phone. Bringing QC back to North American standards! But a refresh of a BlackBerry BB10 Passport does make the juices flow! We shall see!
    skinnymike1 likes this.
    10-30-19 10:44 PM
    Are you as sure about this as 3 years support for the K1? As sure as, No PKB issues until recently? As sure as, All is fine with BBMo, as recently as 2 months ago? As sure as PIE was coming, one month ago?
    Why would you rail against another True BlackBerry Droid devise or even as a long shot, a BB10 resurrection? Are these things not in line with your critically logical thinking?
    BB doesn’t have the capital nor the support of it’s primary institutional shareholders to return to mobile hardware.
    10-30-19 10:45 PM
    BB doesn’t have the capital nor the support of it’s primary institutional shareholders to return to mobile hardware.
    Cool! Didn't know you had BlackBerry LTD CFO insider info! Good to know! Thanks,
    elfabio80 likes this.
    10-30-19 10:48 PM
    I was certain Google stated 3 years of security patches for Enterprise Recommended devices when the program was unveiled, yes.

I was always certain that my usage on the KEY² is unaffected by any reported issues with swiping up, yes. I've also said from the beginning that you are unlikely to get the satisfaction you desire with software updates.

I never said all was fine with BBMo. I said I would not entertain rumours until hard deadlines were crossed - which they now have been with Pie.

I'm not railing, I'm recognizing that BB10 is 1000' below ground. It ain't happening.
    10-30-19 10:49 PM
    @bb10adopter111 already stated that it would only work as an Android solution. He never said it would be BB10.
    Ya, I know his thoughts. I was just responding to "if there is a preference for the fully integrated vertical security stack where BlackBerry's IP offers a sustainable advantage, then that would be a completely different business proposition"

I'm saying BB10 is impossible even under those conditions.
    10-30-19 10:49 PM
    As much as I would love a resurrection of BB10, as it would be Glorious! I would also be content with a True BlackBerry Android built phone. Bringing QC back to North American standards! But a refresh of a BlackBerry BB10 Passport does make the juices flow! We shall see!
    Yes. I would love a return to BB10, but I can't imagine it making sense, technically or financially. It would be easier to start from scratch with QNX, as TT would like to see, but they would need to be guaranteed billions of dollars in sales to commit to that. Where would the money come from?

10-30-19 10:58 PM
132 123 ...