In the latest discussion at the Churchill Club, BlackBerry CEO John Chen discussed the company's need for more apps, and his desire to gain more partnerships. During his conversation, Chen noted that he feels as though apps are a big part of the problem, and that Amazon's offering for an app store wasn't enough to fill the gap.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    08-28-15 01:00 PM
    I just watched the YouTube video of John Chen at the Churchill Club this morning. He was careful not to say anything specific about any plans BlackBerry might have regarding the Android OS, but did talk around the subject. Around 33:00 when he was asked by a reporter if BlackBerry was developing an Android phone, he said that since BB10 and Android are both Unix based, it is not hard for them to put Android on a BlackBerry phone, which explains why they have the Android runtime.

Around 53:30 he was asked by the reporter about the handset business and what his customers wanted (Edit: ...and specifically about Google Services). He said that while he was proud of the Passport and Classic phones, they "were not a run away success" and that customers had told him that getting the apps they wanted was a problem. He referred to the Amazon Store, BlackBerry World, Google Play Store and iTunes store. He said would just say that they were "working hard at that" and that "it was a lot more complex that most people would give credit" and that "since I've already acknowledged it, obviously I'm working hard at it, so it is a little bit more complex why it is not done" and "in due time I will explain that".

When host Rich Karlgaard thanked John Chen at the end of the session Chen said he had driven his PR people crazy. Karlgaard said that he had watched the BlackBerry PR people grimacing several times during the questioning.

YouTube Video:
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 08-28-15 at 06:39 PM.
    jhimmel and sayf777 like this.
    08-28-15 06:22 PM
    Just downloaded the YouTube video of John Chen at the Churchill Club this morning. He was careful not to say anything specific about BlackBerry's plans regarding moving to the Android OS but did talk around the subject. Around 33:00 when he was asked by a reporter if BlackBerry was developing an Android phone and said that since BB10 and Android are both Unix based, it is not hard for them to put Android on a BlackBerry phone, which explains why they have the Android runtime.

Around 53:30 he was asked by the reporter about the handset business and what his customers wanted. He said that while he was proud of the Passport and Classic phones, they "were not a run away success" and that customers had told him that getting the apps they wanted was a problem. He referred to the Amazon Store, BlackBerry World, Google Play Store and iTunes store. He said would just say that they were "working hard at that" and that "it was a lot more complex that most people would give credit" and that "since I've already acknowledged it, obviously I'm working hard at it, so it is a little bit more complex why it is not done" and "in due time I will explain that".

When host Rich Karlgaard thanked John Chen at the end of the session Chen said he had driven his PR people crazy. Karlgaard said that he had watched the BlackBerry PR people grimacing several times during the questioning.

YouTube Video:
    Thanks for the summary. Saved me an hour. Ha ha.
    What's funny is JC, and since he speaks for BlackBerry now the company, is finally acknowledging what I've read of CB for years: people want apps. Wasn't this what all the reviewers of the Z10 and Q10 mentioned whenever reviewing? IIRC BlackBerry wrote off nearly a billion dollars in phones the first year BlackBerry 10 hit the market. Just imagine how many apps they could have bought along with putting together a good marketing campaign.

They laugh at me because I'm different; I laugh at them because they're all the same. 
    08-28-15 06:29 PM
    That's good JC realizes but whether Google services would be made available to old devices or only new devices?

Z30 10.3.2.2639 thru CB10
    midnightdoom likes this.
    08-28-15 06:36 PM
    Thanks for the summary. Saved me an hour. Ha ha.
    What's funny is JC, and since he speaks for BlackBerry now the company, is finally acknowledging what I've read of CB for years: people want apps. ...
    Not only is he acknowledging the app issue, but it is clear that he is trying hard to do something about it.
    Last edited by BB-JAM215; 08-28-15 at 06:56 PM.
    08-28-15 06:43 PM
    The write-down was on paper only. It's not like BlackBerry had to do away with $1B they had sitting in the bank. But you're right that they could have put more money behind their app efforts and sold more phones and had a smaller write-down, so your point is well taken.
    08-28-15 07:12 PM
    As interesting as BlackBerry making an Android device is, I'm more interested in a partnership between BlackBerry, Microsoft and Amazon on the app conversion front. Amazon recently shuttered their phone hardware division, MIcrosoft is trying a BlackBerry-like strategy of converting Android apps PLUS iOS apps, and Amazon forked Android to create FireOS. Samsung, though they may not be on board officially, would certainly be with them in spirit as their development of Tizen shows their interest in having another option besides being beholden to Google.
    08-28-15 07:14 PM
    As interesting as BlackBerry making an Android device is, I'm more interested in a partnership between BlackBerry, Microsoft and Amazon on the app conversion front. Amazon recently shuttered their phone hardware division, MIcrosoft is trying a BlackBerry-like strategy of converting Android apps PLUS iOS apps, and Amazon forked Android to create FireOS. Samsung, though they may not be on board officially, would certainly be with them in spirit as their development of Tizen shows their interest in having another option besides being beholden to Google.
    Chen talked about the value of partnerships, that it was better to partner with competitors like Samsung than to simply compete with them.
    08-28-15 07:35 PM
    You don't have to be a Rhodes Scholar to understand that in today's smartphone world, Apps are a driving factor for a large percentage of the consumer market. The "App-Gap" is the #1 thing that keeps me from using a Berry FULL TIME. Case and point, I bank with a major bank that has branches in dozens of states, but I have to carry an Android to get a Banking App that I can use because BlackBerry does not have one. This is just ONE example. There are others. I'm not an App-A-Holic by any means, but I need what I need for business and personal use.

Speaking of personal, I have personally been impressed with Chen and his leadership. I hope he continues to make strides to lift this awesome brand out of the basement. The brand deserves to shine brighter than it has.
    Jerry A likes this.
    08-28-15 07:43 PM
    I'd like to see more native apps for the more popular banking, productivity, etc... applications I have to side load them or go to Amazon. The Android apps I have can at times be quirky and I have to reload them. This has not happened with native apps.

Anyway, I'm glad Chen sees and has acknowledged this deficit.

Posted via CB10
    08-28-15 09:34 PM
    This just sounds like more of the same �Coming Soon� BS that we�ve heard from BlackBerry time and time again. Chen has been promising us answers about the app-gap since he arrived on the scene at BlackBerry and more recently has alluded to some mysterious plan, but for whatever reason he has yet to deliver anything concrete.

I like CEOs who have concrete plans delivered with straight talk, like T-Mobile's Uncarrier announcements or Apple's iPhone announcements. They make the announcement and the new plan or product is available right away.
    08-31-15 09:12 AM
    I don't know how Mr. Chen is going to fill the "App-Gap" overnight. App developers are gone the way of Android and iPhone. Period. End of that story. But over time, if he chisels away, there could be a decent dent. Windows Phone is suffering the same issue. As much as I like Windows Live tiles and the platform in general, the "App Gap" is horrific. Chase recently pulled their app from Windows Phone. The smell of stagnation is in the air. Microsoft has its work cut out for them, just like BlackBerry.

That would be a good strategic partnership if you think about it. Microsoft and BlackBerry. Dual Platform BB10 (or 11 or whatever develops) and Windows 10 (or 11 or whatever develops).

It hurt leaving Windows as my backup phone. But I needed a FUNCTIONAL banking app that TRULY worked for check depositing via photo when I'm 200 miles from a branch or ATM. Piece of cake with Android. No dice with Windows or BBerry.
    09-02-15 07:46 PM
    I don't know how Mr. Chen is going to fill the "App-Gap" overnight.
    If he introduces an Android phone with a normal aspect ratio then hasn't he immediately filled the app gap?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    09-02-15 08:28 PM
    If he introduces an Android phone with a normal aspect ratio then hasn't he immediately filled the app gap?

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk
    Of course. That's obvious.

I was referring to the apparent "NATIVE OS" App-Gap.

Personally, I don't know where I stand with Berry jumping on Android. HTC is about to file bankruptcy because you can't derive a marketing strategy in the Smartphone Arena based on "Quality Hardware" alone. It's proven outside of a few Samsung Phone loyal followers that Smartphone Android buyers are mostly fickle. Price wins 95 percent of the time.

My Jury is still out on the dual OS, but who knows. In a month I may end up a true believer.
    09-02-15 08:42 PM