BlackBerry is all set to announce their fourth quarter and fiscal year 2020 results on Tuesday, March 31, 2020.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    03-18-20 06:22 PM
    They did not meet market expectation:-(
    04-01-20 01:01 AM
    I'm just happy to see healthy YoY increases in revenue.
    04-01-20 08:12 AM
    Only because they weren't fully counting Cylance last year....

You pull Cylance out and licensing is up a little (but they have stated that is going to drop), but both ESS and BTS are down. That really is their core business, and they didn't give any guidance on how that will be impacted in the coming year. Clearly BTS is going to go down as automotive sales drop. ESS might see some pickup with remote workers, but then as companies scale back so will the other software revenues.

And Clyance growth has slowed in what was a growth market.

Bottom line Chen's going to have to tighten the BlackBerry belt this year... if something isn't making them money, I can't see it being supported. No matter what level of "good will" it might bring. They Cash on Hand will be a lot smaller next year....
    04-01-20 08:58 AM
    Unless you own BB stock, why would you care?

They have nothing for us consumers anymore.

And the last time you mentioned YoY, it was early last year when TCL claimed an increase in mobile phone sales. But we know how that turned out for BBMo
    04-01-20 10:22 AM
    Unless you own BB stock, why would you care?

They have nothing for us consumers anymore.

And the last time you mentioned YoY, it was early last year when TCL claimed an increase in mobile phone sales. But we know how that turned out for BBMo
    They claimed it, but this is an actual audited financial statement.

And I do care. I know several people who work at QNX, and BlackBerry means a lot to the community they are in.

Strictly regarding devices, they still own the famous BlackBerry keyboard IP. So, the longer they are around, the greater the chance we'll see it again.
    04-01-20 10:35 AM
    So, the longer they are around, the greater the chance we'll see it again.
    In the hypothetical case that they weren't around, wouldn't that IP suddenly become free for anyone to use?
    04-01-20 10:40 AM
    In the hypothetical case that they weren't around, wouldn't that IP suddenly become free for anyone to use?
    Doubt it. A patent troll somewhere would likely scoop it up along with a lot of other BlackBerry IP in the sell off, as is usually the case. The keyboard patents would end up at the back of someone's closet.
    app_Developer likes this.
    04-01-20 10:42 AM
    Doubt it. A patent troll somewhere would likely scoop it up along with a lot of other BlackBerry IP in the sell off, as is usually the case. The keyboard patents would end up at the back of someone's closet.
    I guess the patents will eventually expire, normally after 20 years? I wonder when Blackberry took out the patent for their keyboard...
    04-01-20 12:48 PM
    I guess the patents will eventually expire, normally after 20 years? I wonder when Blackberry took out the patent for their keyboard...
    They probably have dozens spread from 2010 to 2016.

Companies also tend to file for additional (very closely related) patents to keep the portfolio up-to-date.
    04-01-20 12:50 PM