BlackBerry has now announced they will continue to support the critical infrastructure and services for BlackBerry 10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond 2019.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    08-01-19 01:12 AM
    BlackBerry has now announced they will continue to support the critical infrastructure and services for BlackBerry 10 as well as network access for BBOS devices beyond 2019.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    CALLED IT!!!!!

I believe we can now have an official end to the "your device might brick at any time!" lamenting that has been permeating the Crackberry Forums for the better part of 18 months.

As I've said from the beginning, I will modify my statements on BB10 continuing to work past 12/31/2019 if we have further official guidance from Blackberry Limited.

Since we now have such guidance, I will modify it to the following:

EVERYTHING other than Blackberry World/official Twitter apps/cloud search for Blackberry Assistant will keep working well into 2020 and beyond!

Victory for BB10 and BBOS!
    08-01-19 04:06 AM
    Indeed you did TrumpetTiger! Nice to hear such a good news for us people that still want to use BLACKBERRY ❿!

Posted on BlackBerry Classic via CB10
    08-01-19 04:32 AM
    Great news!

CALLED IT!!!!!
    You totally did, Trumpet! Thanks for your positivity and for helping people here, despite there being an upstream current of negativity at times!
    DWonder and AllanQuatermain like this.
    08-01-19 06:48 AM
    Great news!

You totally did, Trumpet! Thanks for your positivity and for helping people here, despite there being an upstream current of negativity at times!
    You're very welcome mh! It's certainly difficult at times, but I will persevere as long as I am permitted to do so!

As a side note, in the event I vanish for long periods of time on CB without notice I can also be found on the Blackberry sub-reddit here:

https://www.reddit.com/r/blackberry/
    08-01-19 06:52 AM
    CALLED IT!!!!!
    Called what?

I think everyone agreed that things were unlikely to simply explode on Jan 1, but in the absence of information it was prudent to hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It's great that they have explicitly extended support, which will make remaining users happy.

Edit: reading it again, I'm not seeing much positive in the blog.
    Last edited by conite; 08-01-19 at 05:44 PM.
    MartyE likes this.
    08-01-19 07:03 AM
    Called what?

I think everyone agreed that things were unlikely to simply explode on Jan 1, but in the absence of information it was prudent to hope for the best, but plan for the worst.

It's great that they have explicitly extended support, which will make remaining users happy.
    You are welcome to your opinions on the matter conite. We had information before, and we have it again now.
    08-01-19 07:04 AM
    Called what?

LOL at the idea of everyone agreeing about something here.
    08-01-19 07:18 AM
    LOL at the idea of everyone agreeing about something here.
    That's what makes life interesting!
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    08-01-19 07:23 AM
    You are welcome to your opinions on the matter conite. We had information before, and we have it again now.
    We had all types of information coupled with speculation and no BlackBerry comment. The reality is nothing has changed other than a positive comment from BlackBerry that some things speculated on were confirmed.

It sounds like BBID will be maintained so it will continue to function until it doesn’t. My concern about my BB10 devices turning into bricks or needing BlackBerry Protect turned off seems to be unnecessary.

My eight different BB10 devices and nine BBOS devices will retain some level of functionality except for carrier support which has been and is being slowly phased out with AT&T repurposing.

I’m not seeing anything but maintenance support confirmed until something breaks. There will be no ART updates so I can’t use the Android ecosystem the way I need for certain applications. I can however, continue to use CB10, as I do every so often.
    AllanQuatermain likes this.
    08-01-19 07:28 AM
    Great news for BB10 and BBOS diehards!

Anyone know which US carriers still support BIS?
    anon(5597702) and TgeekB like this.
    08-01-19 07:28 AM
    Explicitly? "At least two years from the end of 2017" and "beyond the end of 2019" are the same thing minus pulling the plug at the stroke of midnight January 1. If they pull it midnight January 2 then they'll still keep their word (for once).

All that this blog post adds is the formal axing of the Twitter/BB Assistant apps today.
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-01-19 07:35 AM

AT&T for now is one as far as I know. CSRs for the most part won’t know or realize this. If you activate SIM card and insert the card into BBOS hardware, BIS activation happens automatically.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    08-01-19 07:38 AM

BIS is unnecessary for BB10 devices (which I'm pretty sure you know Dallin but I mention in case others read this thread), but I believe AT&T and T-Mobile still support it.
    anon(10321802) likes this.
    08-01-19 07:39 AM
    Explicitly? "At least two years from the end of 2017" and "beyond the end of 2019" are the same thing minus pulling the plug at the stroke of midnight January 1. If they pull it midnight January 2 then they'll still keep their word (for once).

All that this blog post adds is the formal axing of the Twitter/BB Assistant apps today.
    Can't argue with that.
    08-01-19 07:41 AM
    Can't argue with that.
    You are both welcome to your points of view. The statements (and we have multiple official ones at this point) speak for themselves.
    08-01-19 07:42 AM
    You are both welcome to your points of view. The statements (and we have multiple official ones at this point) speak for themselves.
    What has actually changed from before other than clarification? There’s no positive additional changes. What am I missing?
    08-01-19 07:45 AM
    BIS is unnecessary for BB10 devices (which I'm pretty sure you know Dallin but I mention in case others read this thread), but I believe AT&T and T-Mobile still support it.
    Yes, an important clarification for those who may not be aware.

BB10 devices still work on all US carriers. Just make sure your specific model is compatible with the bands of your carrier.

I was just curious about what options there still are for BBOS devices.
    08-01-19 07:47 AM
    What has actually changed from before other than clarification? There’s no positive additional changes. What am I missing?
    The official confirmation of what I have been saying for quite some time: Blackberry 10 and BBOS services will continue to function well into 2020 and beyond. Others claimed (and apparently will still claim, judging by posts on this thread) that Blackberry Limited's previous statement--despite being clear about what they were and were not shutting down--somehow allowed for the possibility of BB10 and BBOS devices randomly bricking or functionality such as Blackberry ID, Protect, etc. to randomly turn off due to "EOL" status.

This statement explicitly refutes that argument.
    Paulelmar18 likes this.
    08-01-19 07:52 AM
    So BB World isn't going to shut down at the end of this year now? That's excellent news.
    08-01-19 07:53 AM
    What you already called out in your previous post?

"It sounds like BBID will be maintained so it will continue to function until it doesn’t. My concern about my BB10 devices turning into bricks or needing BlackBerry Protect turned off seems to be unnecessary."
    08-01-19 07:56 AM
    So BB World isn't going to shut down at the end of this year now? That's excellent news.
    It wasn't specifically mentioned in the "update", just their rephrasing of "support".
    Mecca EL likes this.
    08-01-19 07:57 AM
    The official confirmation of what I have been saying for quite some time: Blackberry 10 and BBOS services will continue to function well into 2020 and beyond. Others claimed (and apparently will still claim, judging by posts on this thread) that Blackberry Limited's previous statement--despite being clear about what they were and were not shutting down--somehow allowed for the possibility of BB10 and BBOS devices randomly bricking or functionality such as Blackberry ID, Protect, etc. to randomly turn off due to "EOL" status.

This statement explicitly refutes that argument.
    You need to go back and read the statement... doesn't say anything about well into 2020 or beyond 2020 that. Only that some key services will continue beyond the 2019.
    Mecca EL and app_Developer like this.
    08-01-19 07:59 AM
    What you already called out in your previous post?

"It sounds like BBID will be maintained so it will continue to function until it doesn’t. My concern about my BB10 devices turning into bricks or needing BlackBerry Protect turned off seems to be unnecessary."
    So confirmation of what had been speculated. It’s no additional support. Just confirmation that BBID support won’t be shutdown on 12/31/2019 as I’ve always stated previously, (I) (We) don’t know. Losing Twitter support doesn’t affect me but I don’t view as positive news for BB10 if you’re splitting hairs.
    08-01-19 08:00 AM
    So confirmation of what had been speculated. It’s no additional support. Just confirmation that BBID support won’t be shutdown on 12/31/2019 as I’ve always stated previously, (I) (We) don’t know. Losing Twitter support doesn’t affect me but I don’t view as positive news for BB10 if you’re splitting hairs.
    Right...we were speculating and now it's confirmed. You asked what changed from before, so that's something. No hair splitting going on here.
    08-01-19 08:02 AM
382 123 ...