But you're a random blogger so how can anyone believe you
    Because I tell the truth and only the truth
    02-04-20 07:06 AM
    The cooperation between TCL and BlackBerry has not yet ended and the NDA will remain in force until then. And even after that I ask myself, why should I mention the concept and specifications here? I'm just a random blogger who you can't believe (even if he was right with his statements).

Furthermore a comment on the alleged sales figures of BlackBerry Mobile: In contrast to the statements and charts, which are referred to again and again, I have original internal documents (invoices, etc.) available. These receipts show that Blackberry Mobile has sold more devices than are mentioned here again and again. The fact is, however, that even these figures are not sufficient to permanently fulfill the license agreement.

And one more thing: Do not believe in the conspiracy theory that BlackBerry Mobile is solely to blame for the situation because they would not have paid the bills to BlackBerry Ltd. The script reads differently.
    I’ve heard that nonsense that BlackBerry Limited is also to blame. How so? You state yourself that higher sales figures won’t fulfill the license agreement. That seems to kill all.
    02-04-20 07:20 AM
    I’ve heard that nonsense that BlackBerry Limited is also to blame. How so? You state yourself that higher sales figures won’t fulfill the license agreement. That seems to kill all.
    I apologize, as a non-native speaker I have once again expressed myself completely wrong. I did not mean the license agreement, but the expectations of the business plan and that the sales are not enough to make money. As a businessman you know that profit is determined by two factors: Sales and costs.

And the definition of nonsense is up to you. I have seen and read the "nonsense" in black and white. You too?
    02-04-20 07:41 AM
    I apologize, as a non-native speaker I have once again expressed myself completely wrong. I did not mean the license agreement, but the expectations of the business plan and that the sales are not enough to make money. As a businessman you know that profit is determined by two factors: Sales and costs.

And the definition of nonsense is up to you. I have seen and read the "nonsense" in black and white. You too?
    It was in Black and White when they didn't get all four US Carriers to sell the KEYone.....
    02-04-20 07:47 AM

That’s right and that’s my question. How’s that anyone but TCLs fault? What’s this part that BlackBerry Limited is responsible for? General terms are more than acceptable. Your original statement was perfectly understandable, just vague and with implications but no stated facts.
    Last edited by Chuck Finley69; 02-04-20 at 08:09 AM.
    02-04-20 07:53 AM
    It was in Black and White when they didn't get all four US Carriers to sell the KEYone.....
    Do some more research on this point and you'll get closer to the basic problem between Blackberry Ltd. and TCL and thus the co-responsibility of the guys from Waterloo. I shouldn't say any more. Have a nice day.
    02-04-20 07:54 AM
    Do some more research on this point and you'll get closer to the basic problem between Blackberry Ltd. and TCL and thus the co-responsibility of the guys from Waterloo. I shouldn't say any more. Have a nice day.
    So what does that mean exactly? I would imagine there were talks to restructure contracts but why bother if the forecast did not predict profits to cover costs?
    02-04-20 08:04 AM
    We’ve done the research. BlackBerry Limited couldn’t get all four carriers seriously behind and supporting any single device after the Z10/Q10 running BB10 debacle in 2013 introduction.

TCL knew this as it has been dealing with all four carriers in USA for over 10 years with Alcatel brand. TCL knew what they were licensing, the cost and the questionable brand demand. TCL has struggled in the mobile space in their own domestic market for years now.
    02-04-20 08:16 AM
    Basic problem is BlackBerry found someone that didn't really have a clue and took them for all they could.

I think TCL really believed that the brand would open doors to Enterprise and more of the western world for them. What they didn't understand is that BlackBerry had been living off the brands reputation for the last four years and had sucked most all the value out of it. Enterprise had moved on, and the PRIV had left a bad taste in most carrier's accounts and BlackBerry Android Secure was... not needed.
    antonrr likes this.
    02-04-20 08:37 AM
    The days of carrier support and marketing are extremely unlikely to return.

A high-spec device made by a big Android maker is the only way. Can't be a big deal, just a product by a manufacturer for a niche use base. It's all we can hope for.
    02-04-20 08:42 AM
    The days of carrier support and marketing are extremely unlikely to return.

A high-spec device made by a big Android maker is the only way. Can't be a big deal, just a product by a manufacturer for a niche use base. It's all we can hope for.
    Most phones in the US are still carrier sold. Carriers still drive most of the marketing. Apple and Samsung are the only OEMs that advertise on their own. With a few Pixel phone ads sprinkled about.
    02-04-20 10:20 AM
    Most phones in the US are still carrier sold. Carriers still drive most of the marketing. Apple and Samsung are the only OEMs that advertise on their own. With a few Pixel phone ads sprinkled about.
    Even Apple and Samsung don't do the amount of marketing in the US, that they once did.... they don't have to.
    02-04-20 10:44 AM
    Even Apple and Samsung don't do the amount of marketing in the US, that they once did.... they don't have to.
    Even if some upstart comes along with advertising budget, either OEM fires up the marketing gun, for a quick burst, and the upstart is vaporized, Star Trek style or Star Wars style, take your pick, without any remains.
    02-04-20 10:54 AM
    Well - I am glad TCL tried to make it work. My K1 is still going strong. Great build quality. Very complimentary to the BlackBerry apps. I will be hard pressed to set up my future phones as well as this one.
    Laura Knotek and Grungni like this.
    02-04-20 09:13 PM
    Sorry to hear , the Key devices themselves as keyboard devices were interesting...just a bit too narrow for the likes of me. I loved the passport form factor for a pkb device. Sorry to hear you couldn't get a dual-boot to bb10 device or a BB10device with an Android 9 or 10 sandbox...or whatever Amazon Android AOSP version it would have taken to keep everyone happy....for me, I just preferred BB10, it worked way better for my needs than Android or iOS. Whoever said they secured Android or Ios sufficiently to not need BB devices or BlackBerry Secure? I think they were wrong. Certainly BB10 had and has its advantages, even today...just needed newer or faster hardware to keep up with website bloat.
    02-05-20 09:14 AM
    Even if some upstart comes along with advertising budget, either OEM fires up the marketing gun, for a quick burst, and the upstart is vaporized, Star Trek style or Star Wars style, take your pick, without any remains.
    Will those be BlackBerry QNX Photon Torpedos? or Cylance Shields up! ?
    02-05-20 09:19 AM
    Will those be BlackBerry QNX Photon Torpedos? or Cylance Shields up! ?
    All of the above
    02-05-20 09:43 AM
67 123