Well, is DTEK even available to other phones? If not, no money there.
    They are paid for it by their licenses as part of the security package. So they are likely contractually obligated to maintain it while the licenses are in effect.

Posted with my trusty Z10
    04-29-19 09:08 PM
    Anyone considering purchase of a BlackBerry Mobile phone today should do so without expectations for future investment.
    I really don't think anyone should need an official statement beyond what they are signaling.
    The one leads to the other... unless they are pulling out, then no there is no reason to not give retailers a chance to unload what little inventory there is.

But if they plan to keep going... they don't need more doubt about their prospects.
    04-30-19 03:57 PM
    The one leads to the other... unless they are pulling out, then no there is no reason to not give retailers a chance to unload what little inventory there is.

But if they plan to keep going... they don't need more doubt about their prospects.
    I see three possibilities:

1) All is well. BBMo is happy with what it's learned about the market over the past two years, and is just taking some extra time to prepare for the next phase in reestablishing the Blackberry brand in handsets.

2) We're in for more of the same. Low intensity marketing, sub 1m volumes spread out across dozens of markets and hundreds of distributors.

3) We'll never see a KEY3.

If I was a betting man I'd say, 5%, 25%, 70% for those three options, respectively.

Bbnivende and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    04-30-19 04:39 PM
    So, what is a good alternative for device search?
    I like being able to start typing from the home screen, and have contacts, or important files brought up right away.
    04-30-19 05:13 PM
    I see three possibilities:

1) All is well. BBMo is happy with what it's learned about the market over the past two years, and is just taking some extra time to prepare for the next phase in reestablishing the Blackberry brand in handsets.

2) We're in for more of the same. Low intensity marketing, sub 1m volumes spread out across dozens of markets and hundreds of distributors.

3) We'll never see a KEY3.

If I was a betting man I'd say, 5%, 25%, 70% for those three options, respectively.

I say 20, 60, 20. Although I wouldn't specifically say sub-1m, but "adequate".
    04-30-19 06:22 PM
    They are paid for it by their licenses as part of the security package. So they are likely contractually obligated to maintain it while the licenses are in effect.

Well doesn't that mean that the BB tax will decrease if BB ltd cuts down on their work?
    04-30-19 06:48 PM
    Well doesn't that mean that the BB tax will decrease if BB ltd cuts down on their work?
    Not until a new deal is cut.

Although I don't think Thurber's salary was allocated to the BBMo deal.
    04-30-19 06:57 PM
    Not until a new deal is cut.

Although I don't think Thurber's salary was allocated to the BBMo deal.
    Maybe BBMo is still interested in licensing but they put pressure on ltd to reduce the work on BBAndroid and the apps in general so that the tax can be lowered by the time they sign the renewal of the contract?

It seems obvious that if KEY devices are even marginally successful, it's for the brand name, standard OS hardening and above all else, the PKB.

The rest is extra fat to be trimmed?
    RWIndiana and Jake2826 like this.
    04-30-19 07:38 PM
    Maybe BBMo is still interested in licensing but they put pressure on ltd to reduce the work on BBAndroid and the apps in general so that the tax can be lowered by the time they sign the renewal of the contract?

It seems obvious that if KEY devices are even marginally successful, it's for the brand name, standard OS hardening and above all else, the PKB.

The rest is extra fat to be trimmed?
    Thurber was there to acquire NEW business. He wasn't a cost against BBMo.
    04-30-19 08:01 PM
    I really don't think anyone should need an official statement beyond what they are signaling. BlackBerry is cutting back on Android apps that are lightly used and don't produce revenue. Does that mean that the Hub+ Suite is next? DTEK? We don't know, but logically the chance that BlackBerry exits the Android end user handset software market has measurably increased.

Anyone considering purchase of a BlackBerry Mobile phone today should do so without expectations for future investment.

Wait, how would those apps generate revenue anyway when they designed them from the start without ads or subscription fees for BB owners? A better question, what apps DO you feel generate revenue in the BB mobile suite and how?
    04-30-19 11:33 PM
    Wait, how would those apps generate revenue anyway when they designed them from the start without ads or subscription fees for BB owners? A better question, what apps DO you feel generate revenue in the BB mobile suite and how?
    I believe that they were counting on Android users who do not have BlackBerry branded devices to install these apps, and then they would make money on the ads served up, or via subscriptions to remove those ads. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Android users who don't have BlackBerry branded devices either didn't know those apps even existed or saw no benefit in installing those apps.
    05-01-19 02:51 AM
    They were device apps.... I think the plan was that with a full suite of apps, it would make Android Secure a more appealing product. I expect BlackBerry was hoping to see unit sales of several million by this point, just from the three Licensees. With maybe a few million more to other Android Secure licensees that were not signed up for the Brand, just the software.

But no one has bought (they bought in, but didn't do much) into licensing Android Secure... at least not the whole package. And the three licensees combined "might" have moved 2 million units in 2-1/2 years.

So simple put the software product that was to drive hardware licensing revenue... has failed to meet the expectations of BlackBerry and it being scaled down.

If the program continues... it's probably not going to show up as a savings for end users. But as a way to keep the program going with this level of sales.
    05-01-19 07:30 AM
    The apps being retired were supposed to generate revenue by supporting the BlackBerry OEM partners. The idea was that differentiating BlackBerry Android phones with unique BlackBerry software would increase demand and sales, with BlackBerry being paid for the apps through more licensing fees.

The only apps I think Blackberry makes money from now on Android are the Hub (licensing, ads, subscription), DTEK, hardened Android and the launcher (licensing) at nd BBMe (subscription).
    05-01-19 07:57 AM
    I believe that they were counting on Android users who do not have BlackBerry branded devices to install these apps, and then they would make money on the ads served up, or via subscriptions to remove those ads. Unfortunately, the vast majority of Android users who don't have BlackBerry branded devices either didn't know those apps even existed or saw no benefit in installing those apps.
    They were device apps.... I think the plan was that with a full suite of apps, it would make Android Secure a more appealing product. I expect BlackBerry was hoping to see unit sales of several million by this point, just from the three Licensees. With maybe a few million more to other Android Secure licensees that were not signed up for the Brand, just the software.

But no one has bought (they bought in, but didn't do much) into licensing Android Secure... at least not the whole package. And the three licensees combined "might" have moved 2 million units in 2-1/2 years.

So simple put the software product that was to drive hardware licensing revenue... has failed to meet the expectations of BlackBerry and it being scaled down.

If the program continues... it's probably not going to show up as a savings for end users. But as a way to keep the program going with this level of sales.

The apps being retired were supposed to generate revenue by supporting the BlackBerry OEM partners. The idea was that differentiating BlackBerry Android phones with unique BlackBerry software would increase demand and sales, with BlackBerry being paid for the apps through more licensing fees.

The only apps I think Blackberry makes money from now on Android are the Hub (licensing, ads, subscription), DTEK, hardened Android and the launcher (licensing) at nd BBMe (subscription).
    Thank you all for your "notable" replies
    05-01-19 11:12 PM
    @Ken Wallis given you were responsible for these apps please help us to update this list with the apps currently in your wheel house:

/blackberry-hub-plus-suite-f459/blackberry-representatives-here-forum-1103064/
    Jake2826 likes this.
    05-10-19 10:40 PM
40 12