According to new documents leaked by Edward Snowden, the NSA and its UK counterpart, Government Communications Headquarters (GCHQ), hacked into the computers of Gemalto, a company that manufactures SIM cards for a large number of carriers around the world. In doing so, the intelligence agencies acquired encryption keys that would allow them to intercept communications from customers of all four major U.S. carriers, along with 450 others around the world.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    02-19-15 03:22 PM
    It seems that every week the NSA is in the news about a new thing that they are doing to us. They are pretty much inside everything nowadays.
    02-19-15 08:07 PM
    Yes I saw a similar article here:

http://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2...phones-hacking

I wonder what this means for BlackBerry security. Are all devices then compromised the minute you insert the sim? If so the only solution is to go back to the old flip phones and not use cellular devices for confidential communications at all.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 05:39 AM
    Gemalto partnered with Rogers in 2012 for NFC mobile payments solutions. Does it mean that also NFC transactions such as at Tim Hortons etc may be compromised??

Z30)++
    02-20-15 11:54 AM
    I don't know about NFC. At the very least I expect this means that all phones can have their SMS/MMS/Voice harvested. I would expect the same applies to data.

Posted via CB10
    02-20-15 04:28 PM
    Gemalto cards are the Sims card that carrier's have us install on our phones right!? If someone has the key to that card is there anything in the phone that this third party doesn't have access to?

Posted via CB10
    02-21-15 08:41 AM
    Gemalto cards are the Sims card that carrier's have us install on our phones right!? If someone has the key to that card is there anything in the phone that this third party doesn't have access to?

Posted via CB10
    No, they would have access to absolutely everything, but any transactions made through SSL would be encrypted. That's what I got from actually reading the article. Voice = open, SMS = open.
    02-21-15 09:14 AM
    Wonder if.you are running something like red phone or.chat secure..
    Would that still be secure in light of the compromised sim cards?

Posted via CB10
    02-22-15 12:36 AM
    Well considering BlackBerry have acquired secusmart, looks like Nsa and gchq can **** themselves hahaha

Mr Chen please embed secusmart into our future devices

Hail BlackBerry !!!

Posted via CB10
    02-24-15 03:40 AM