You know how every viral tweet these days is riddled with links to SoundCloud profiles under them? Yeah, that's because everyone seems to fool themselves into thinking that they're a musician. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with being a bedroom DJ, many of these self-professed artists aren't exactly churning out quality work, and it's likely because they haven't had proper training.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    05-28-20 02:51 PM
    https://crackberry.com/sites/crackbe...?itok=SUcF-B3p
    You know how every viral tweet these days is riddled with links to SoundCloud profiles under them? Yeah, that's because everyone seems to fool themselves into thinking that they're a musician. And while there's nothing inherently wrong with being a bedroom DJ, many of these self-professed artists aren't exactly churning out quality work, and it's likely because they haven't had proper training.

Full story from the Crackberry Blog...
    @Troy Tiscareno

Look out , I’m going to come gunning for you and this practically guarantees success
    05-28-20 02:56 PM
    @Troy Tiscareno

Look out , I’m going to come gunning for you and this practically guarantees success
    LOL. I'm not really that kind of DJ (club-style DJ) anymore, and haven't been for a long time.

There are several distinct types of DJs, and I'll list them with a brief description:

• Radio DJ - Lots of talking and multitasking, but playlists (including commercials) are scripted and mostly automated.
    • Club/Performance DJ - All about mixing, but songs and "stubs" (song fragments) are carefully chosen in advance - no requests! Also, nearly 100% electronic music which allows for seamless beatmatching
    • Producer DJ - Usually a club DJ that transitioned into making his/her own music.
    • Mobile DJ - DJ for weddings and (dance) parties. Brings a sound system and usually lights to location. Multiple music genres, takes requests/guest interaction. May operate additional mics & gear. Minimal "serious" mixing.
    • Karaoke DJ - Similar to a mobile DJ, often brings sound system, but had additional equipment (video & extra mics) for karaoke plus an entirely different collection of music (karaoke music is usually cover-band instrumentals with no lead vocals).

Each of these different categories is pretty significantly different than the others. Ableton is used by club DJs and producer DJs, who extensively plan their sets in advance, stick with a single genre of music (almost always electronic-based), take no requests, and generally have no guest/audience interaction - they're usually isolated in an elevated DJ booth with security to keep people away. Also, they often pre-mix significant amounts of their shows in advance, and only add in a few parts live to appear that they're doing something.

I'm a Mobile DJ. I bring in a sound system and lighting system to a venue (from a hall to a winery to someone's backyard), set it all up, and then perform the show, also running the lights and taking lots of requests. If it's a wedding or something similar, I'll also have multiple wireless mics (and often a full second sound system), and I either MC or work with an MC to keep the schedule of events moving along. I play almost exclusively "big hit" songs from the 50s to today, crossing many genres, and a lot of that music features live drummers that don't keep perfect time and are thus more challenging to beatmatch under the best of circumstances - and a Mobile DJ gig is pretty far from that! So, while I do various transition and do some limited beatmatching, it's just not practical to do very much, with everything else that's going on. And it's gotten a lot worse over the last decade or so - people are so used to their own music (starting with the iPod era and now with phones and personalized music streaming) that they don't want to hear any song they don't love, so everytime you put on a song, you get 3 people running to the DJ to tell you that "no one likes this song, change it" - even though the dance floor is still full. LOL. Ahh, the Entitlement Culture is such a joy.
    05-28-20 03:57 PM
    LOL. I'm not really that kind of DJ (club-style DJ) anymore, and haven't been for a long time.

There are several distinct types of DJs, and I'll list them with a brief description:

• Radio DJ - Lots of talking and multitasking, but playlists (including commercials) are scripted and mostly automated.
    • Club/Performance DJ - All about mixing, but songs and "stubs" (song fragments) are carefully chosen in advance - no requests! Also, nearly 100% electronic music which allows for seamless beatmatching
    • Producer DJ - Usually a club DJ that transitioned into making his/her own music.
    • Mobile DJ - DJ for weddings and (dance) parties. Brings a sound system and usually lights to location. Multiple music genres, takes requests/guest interaction. May operate additional mics & gear. Minimal "serious" mixing.
    • Karaoke DJ - Similar to a mobile DJ, often brings sound system, but had additional equipment (video & extra mics) for karaoke plus an entirely different collection of music (karaoke music is usually cover-band instrumentals with no lead vocals).

Each of these different categories is pretty significantly different than the others. Ableton is used by club DJs and producer DJs, who extensively plan their sets in advance, stick with a single genre of music (almost always electronic-based), take no requests, and generally have no guest/audience interaction - they're usually isolated in an elevated DJ booth with security to keep people away. Also, they often pre-mix significant amounts of their shows in advance, and only add in a few parts live to appear that they're doing something.

I'm a Mobile DJ. I bring in a sound system and lighting system to a venue (from a hall to a winery to someone's backyard), set it all up, and then perform the show, also running the lights and taking lots of requests. If it's a wedding or something similar, I'll also have multiple wireless mics (and often a full second sound system), and I either MC or work with an MC to keep the schedule of events moving along. I play almost exclusively "big hit" songs from the 50s to today, crossing many genres, and a lot of that music features live drummers that don't keep perfect time and are thus more challenging to beatmatch under the best of circumstances - and a Mobile DJ gig is pretty far from that! So, while I do various transition and do some limited beatmatching, it's just not practical to do very much, with everything else that's going on. And it's gotten a lot worse over the last decade or so - people are so used to their own music (starting with the iPod era and now with phones and personalized music streaming) that they don't want to hear any song they don't love, so everytime you put on a song, you get 3 people running to the DJ to tell you that "no one likes this song, change it" - even though the dance floor is still full. LOL. Ahh, the Entitlement Culture is such a joy.
    Once again - dreamkiller......
    05-28-20 08:54 PM