I was curious about... why Jan 4? In 2022, that's a Tuesday.

If it was this coming Jan. It would have made more sense. The 4th is the Monday after New Years (which is usually a Holiday and happens to fall on a Friday in 2021).

Maybe Mondays are filled with meetings all day.

Maybe I have nothing else to really contribute to this thread...

January 2022 seems so much farther away from December 2021. And if it was just January 1st maybe it would look too much like a gimmick.

It may also coincide with the end-date for some kind of technology that BlackBerry is licensing or leasing.
    09-16-20 09:59 AM
    monday is holiday…you guys read way to much into things
    09-16-20 10:12 AM
    Maybe I have nothing else to really contribute to this thread...
    ....maybe!
    09-16-20 10:17 AM
    monday is holiday…you guys read way to much into things
    Of course we (I) do. But I didn't think of that. Since the 1st is on a Saturday, the following Monday would be taken as the "holiday".

I feel better about it now

....maybe!
    I'm done now.
    09-16-20 10:54 AM
    So... i can not use my bb10 phone after the date ? Only the phones without BBID ? right ?
    Solution: deactivated BB Protect on all my BB10 devices ? -.- sad news
    09-16-20 11:23 AM
    So... i can not use my bb10 phone after the date ? Only the phones without BBID ? right ?
    As long as your carrier hasn't killed 3G as well.
    09-16-20 12:41 PM
    As long as your carrier hasn't killed 3G as well.
    In Germany 🤣 we have 2G sometimes 3G xD
    09-16-20 01:32 PM
    Just make sure you wipe the phone and set it up without a BBID prior to the date.
    09-16-20 01:59 PM
    Just make sure you wipe the phone and set it up without a BBID prior to the date.
    OK. Wow. All my BB10 phones and my BBOS phones , too ?

That's a lot of work and annoying xD I setup all my phone's (9 devices) with my BBID and with all the apps. So i can not use the BB10 apps after that ? -.-
    09-16-20 02:42 PM

That's a lot of work and annoying xD I setup all my phone's (9 devices) with my BBID and with all the apps. So i can not use the BB10 apps after that ? -.-
    The issue is that if BlackBerry Protect somehow re-enables itself (which it often does) just prior to the shutdown, you won't ever be able to turn it off again - and consequently will not be able to wipe or reload your OS again because of BlackBerry anti-theft.

But honestly, it's not likely you will still be using BB10 in another year and a half.
    anon(10707129) likes this.
    09-16-20 02:58 PM
    The issue is that if BlackBerry Protect somehow re-enables itself (which it often does) just prior to the shutdown, you won't ever be able to turn it off again - and consequently will not be able to wipe or reload your OS again because of BlackBerry anti-theft.

But honestly, it's not likely you will still be using BB10 in another year and a half.
    OK i understand. Thank you.

But I don't have to wipe my BBOS phones ?
    09-16-20 03:32 PM

Not true!
    Will be in use until it dies or gets lost etc.
    Main reason, physical qwerty, q10 size, battery life, hub, and lack of app distractions.

Another recent example: my father being a senior, is constantly being targeted with bogus emails and txt msgs with links to hell and grief. He's clicked on many, and because the browser is crap, nothing happens!
    09-16-20 03:34 PM
    Not true!
    Will be in use until it dies or gets lost etc.
    Main reason, physical qwerty, q10 size, battery life, hub, and lack of app distractions.

Another recent example: my father being a senior, is constantly being targeted with bogus emails and txt msgs with links to hell and grief. He's clicked on many, and because the browser is crap, nothing happens!
    No doubt I see a use-case for some, but with both BBID, BIS, and 3G all closing shop over the next year or two, there won't be much left to keep BB10/BBOS working.
    09-16-20 03:36 PM
    No doubt I see a use-case for some, but with both BBID, BIS, and 3G all closing shop over the next year or two, there won't be much left to keep BB10/BBOS working.
    3G still gonna be aight up here in Canada, right?

Public Mobile (telus......or bell) uses 3G exclusively.

Chat-r (Rogers/fido) might be the same on their lower tier plans.

Haven't heard any news about that......yet.
    09-16-20 03:39 PM
    Perhaps there’s a market for BlackBerry to go after. The not connected to Internet consumers. The ultimate security, the BlackBerry PDA codenamed the Brick, in production, gets officially named BlackBerry Turd for some unexplained reasoning...
    conite and dmlis like this.
    09-16-20 03:41 PM
    Perhaps there’s a market for BlackBerry to go after. The not connected to Internet consumers. The ultimate security, the BlackBerry PDA codenamed the Brick, in production, gets officially named BlackBerry Turd for some unexplained reasoning...
    No market there, but honestly, there are a number of people (including here) that don't give a rat's #ss about apps, internet or any of that. They just want a phone. We see it all the time. Somebody posts here to ask if their phone will still work. I have to laugh though, when people state that they want to de-clutter their digital lives, drop out, get away from all the distractions and then in the next sentence ask how they can get WhatsApp to work on their BB10 device. I've got an older neighbor asking me about how long his Q10 will work. As long as he can make a phone call, he says, they will have to pry it from his cold, dead hand before he will give it up lol.
    anon(5597702) likes this.
    09-16-20 03:50 PM
    No market there, but honestly, there are a number of people (including here) that don't give a rat's #ss about apps, internet or any of that. They just want a phone. We see it all the time. Somebody posts here to ask if their phone will still work. I have to laugh though, when people state that they want to de-clutter their digital lives, drop out, get away from all the distractions and then in the next sentence ask how they can get WhatsApp to work on their BB10 device. I've got an older neighbor asking me about how long his Q10 will work. As long as he can make a phone call, he says, they will have to pry it from his cold, dead hand before he will give it up lol.
    Yup! Most of the older people I run into are using q10's, and they'll never switch to anything else.

They'll use iPad's to FaceTime others, and chromebooks to bank and browse the web, but blackberry's to talk and text!

Seriously though, not being able to open spam txt links and bogus email junk links is a HUGE bonus for seniors and tech-inept (my mom)!
    09-16-20 05:23 PM

I would advise cutting yourself off of BB services entirely by disabling BB protect, and then wiping the device and then when setting it up from scratch again, do NOT log in to any BB ID, just skip it and once you're on the home screen, download the Yalp Store and get all your Android apps from there.

That way when BlackBerry pulls the plug, your devices won't be connected to their services and shouldn't be affected.
    The only thing left to worry about will be 3G networks depending on your area and carriers.
    09-16-20 09:11 PM
    I would advise cutting yourself off of BB services entirely by disabling BB protect, and then wiping the device and then when setting it up from scratch again, do NOT log in to any BB ID, just skip it and once you're on the home screen, download the Yalp Store and get all your Android apps from there.

That way when BlackBerry pulls the plug, your devices won't be connected to their services and shouldn't be affected.
    The only thing left to worry about will be 3G networks depending on your area and carriers.
    I don't use Android apps but thx for the information.
    09-17-20 01:16 AM

What about BlackBerry Push Service?

"Push Service

The Push Service is an essential component of the real-time, always-on experience of BlackBerry devices. It offers an incredibly efficient and reliable way of sending information to your users. It allows users to be alerted of new and current information right when it happens.

Register to evaluate the Push Service. This registration will allow you to test your application in a test environment.
    Register to launch your application in production.
    Note: If you are intending to push through the BlackBerry Enterprise Server or BlackBerry Device Service (part of BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10), registration is not required."

This is necessary to use an email and other things.

Last edited by bbfanfan; 09-19-20 at 04:00 PM.
    09-19-20 03:13 PM
    Most anything BBOS is dead is my guess. BB10 relies on far less services and mail and such are mostly services are there own and will still work with a connection via wifi/LTE
    09-19-20 04:15 PM
46 12