The countdown is on.

Whether you use a BlackBerry or not, if you're on this site you should have seen it by now: the BlackBerry Passport is coming.

Flashback to a few months ago. There were rumors abroad, rumors of a super BlackBerry, one that would pack incredible specs and bring the best of both worlds to its experience-- both a huge screen and a physical keyboard. These were nothing but rumors, until snapshots of some weird square cases were leaked, hitting the web like a litter of grotesque mutant marsupials. I was not alone in thinking that any phone that could fit into those skins would be too hideous to buy.

Why I Am Stoked for the BlackBerry Passport (And You Should Be Too)-blackberry-passport.jpg

I was wrong.

A few months later, we have seen the BlackBerry Passport from all angles, a few short videos of it in action, and even a pre-release review, much to the delight of the BlackBerry faithful. Many minds have been drastically changed, and the excitement for this device is a tangible item throughout the Crack/BlackBerry community. Myself? Before the Passport was announced, I was bracing myself to despise this square monster. And now... well let's just say I'm at the "shut up and take my money" stage. Why? Well....

ITS A BLACKBERRY

This first reason may come off as me being a fanboy, but that's not at all what I'm trying to get at. The Passport isn't going to be "The BlackBerry version of an iPhone" or an Androidesque phone running BB10. It will unquestionably be a BlackBerry, largely because of the keyboard, and to have such a unique flagship will be huge for BlackBerry as a cellphone name. One look at the Passport and you know it: This is a BlackBerry. It may not turn out to be the most appealing phone on the market for everyone, but it will at least be recognized as a BlackBerry, one with enough power and precision to dance with the best of them.

It Looks AMAZING

Before any official images were released, I was imagining the Passport as a heinous bathroom-tile of a phone. Man, was I wrong, or was I wrong?? The hardware looks sleek and professional, and has a certain "wow" factor that few new smartphones seem to have. Out of the box, I found my Z10 to look decent at best; those bumpers at the top and bottom turned me off a little. But the Passport... with those lightup keys, curved silver sidings, and gorgeous 1440 x 1440 display, I will probably stare at it just for the pure enjoyment of my eyes.

TOUCH-SENSITIVE PHYSICAL KEYBOARD

What a concept. When the early rumors of the Passport (then called Windermere) started whirling around, I wasn't really interested in it for myself simply because I enjoy Flick Typing so much. After BlackBerry Hub, Flick Typing is my absolute favorite part of BlackBerry 10, and although I missed a physical keyboard, I wasn't going to give up Flick Typing. Combining the physical keys and Flick Typing into a typing experience seems like technology that shouldn't be ready for 2014, but its here, just a few short months away. Admittedly, there are ways that I am unsure about this leap (not having a physical comma key might prove to be annoying), but nevertheless, I can't wait to try out that keyboard and fall in love.

SPECIFICATIONS

When talking to Android geeks about phones, almost all you hear about is specs. Outrageous hardware specifications are what make a lot of Android users feel that their phone is superior to competition such as BlackBerry. But no more. Personally, the OS experience means a lot more to me than most specs (that's why I use BlackBerry), but that doesn't mean I'll say no to great internal hardware. A 2. something (we don't know yet) quad-core processor, 3GB of RAM and a whopping 3450 mAh battery... compare that to any current BlackBerry device (even the Z30) and there's no real competition. At the least, those numbers can match the Android flagships on the market today, and surpass many of them. Using the Passport will feel effortless and powerful, something that I can't always say about my Z10.

BLACKBERRY 10.3

I could write an entire article about Why I Am Stoked for BlackBerry 10.3 (And You Should Be Too). The Passport will be our first official 10.3 experience. So naturally, BlackBerry 10.3 is a huge contributor to my excitement. From the leaks we've seen, there will be a load of new features, but what I am most pumped about is beautifully reinvented user interface. I won't go into too much detail about 10.3, but I will say this: In most aspects, BlackBerry 10.2.1 is terrific as far as getting the job done, but 10.3 will do it all in style. For the first time, BlackBerry 10 will look so good it will grab attention based on looks alone. I mean, it looks incredible.

THE EXPERIENCE

Forgive me for being vague on this one, as it is certainly not as concrete of a reason as some of the others. But nevertheless, this is probably my #1 aspect to look forward to in the BlackBerry Passport. Although it will be bigger and better, the Passport won't be about that game. As best as I can guess, it won't feel anything like other phone or phablet. The Passport will in a way be like the original iPhone -- not because it will change the smartphone industry, but because it will bring an entirely new experience to the world of hand-held devices. It will NOT be a one-handed phone, and because of this, it will be an engaging, if not enthralling experience. Thanks to that touch-sensitive keyboard, you won't have to be constantly using the screen to navigate, and no doubt there will be some awesome keyboard button shortcuts on top of that to get around with. Between that keyboard, the incredible specs, and BlackBerry 10.3, it will simply be a wonderful phone to use.

Looking at these points, it's hard to find a part of the BlackBerry Passport that I'm not excited for. I've been using a rectangle screen for a couple of years now, and I feel that with these features, I am more than ready to make a return to the square. But that is just me. Some people still think that it is an ugly phone, and that it will only be used by businessmen. What do you think? Are you sold on the Passport like I am? Or will you hold out for the Classic? (or the next full-touch device?) Are there any great features that you are looking forward to that I didn't mention? Or do you loathe the Passport inside out? Whatever you think, feel free to share in the comments!
    07-10-14 12:31 AM
    I'm glad you're excited. I'm not. I think the thing is hideous and I don't believe it will sell well at all outside of the BlackBerry faithful. The Classic looks to be a much better looking device imo. Functionally the Passport may end up being the best device BlackBerry has ever made..and I'll still think it's ugly. I've enjoyed my QWERTY BlackBerrys in the past but since going to the z10 I won't go back to a physical keyboard. I hope the Passport and Classic do well so that BlackBerry doesn't stop making handsets and then there will be no new all touch.

Z10
    Icarus3000, pystha and Z10NIZED like this.
    07-10-14 01:13 AM
    Some people find it attractive as it is one of a kind. But when PP2 arrives, with its gorgeous curves and perfected keyboard you'll realize that the PP1 is really just flat ugly period and would want to immediately upgrade to PP2. That's BlackBerrys strategy.

BBQ10
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-10-14 01:44 AM
    I'm excited for it too, I can't wait to get my hands on this bad boy. September feels like a lifetime away

Posted via CB10
    guygardner73 and Z10NIZED like this.
    07-10-14 03:11 AM
    I have been stoked since the first official picture of the phone and I'm just getting more hyped as September draws near. I'm due for an upgrade in August but for the first time in a long while, I am willing to wait till that month for this phone.

And yes, I'm a blackberry fan but I usually can wait till prices come down for a phone... this phone might just change that this year.
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-10-14 03:39 AM
    Hopefully it's not the Edsel of the gadget world.
    07-10-14 04:09 AM
    It's interesting to see such a wide division between opinions on the appearance of the Passport... thanks for commenting guys
    Thud Hardsmack likes this.
    07-10-14 12:40 PM
    It's interesting to see such a wide division between opinions on the appearance of the Passport... thanks for commenting guys
    Agreed. Definitely a change of pace from the OS bickering and device insulting.
    07-10-14 01:41 PM
    The Passport is simply a beautiful beast and I can't wait to lay my hands on it.

Posted via CB10
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-11-14 10:19 PM
    I like that BlackBerry is doing something different. Not just another stupid slab.
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-15-14 12:20 AM
    I'm going to get one. Simply because of the functionality. The best device for getting the job done, bar None!

Z10STL100-2/10.2.1.3247 O2 UK
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-15-14 01:00 AM