Smartphone Market Share by OS, end of Q3, 2013: Android: 81%, iOS: 14%, Windows Phone: 4%, BlackBerry (BBOS and BB10): 2%, Other: 0.3%. [Source: ABI research]

My fifth grade English teacher drilled it into me: Start any expository piece of writing with a stat. It hooks the reader in she said, and gives them a quick look at what they'll be reading about.

And this works great, unless the facts don't tell the whole story.

A few days ago, there was a picture trending on Twitter, showing a stack of iPhones next to a lone Samsung Galaxy. The picture was captioned "There's always that one person in your squad."

I don't know about the rest of the world, but for now, this isn't about the rest of the world. This is about the region I'm from (North America), and more importantly, the age group I'm from (high-school). Within this market frame, the picture mentioned above (and not the stat) is a very realistic representation of the smartphone distribution among youths. Androids are rare. BlackBerrys are practically extinct.

Everywhere I look, I see iPhones, the hormonal teenagers of the smartphone world, in the hands of their human equivalents.

And yet, in North America, the Android vs. Apple dogfight is quite even. 52% of smartphones in the U.S. runs Android, and 42% are on iOS (as of Q1, 2014). [Source: Nielsen Mobile Insights]

Lots of you probably already know this. Any of these examples may reflect your surroundings, or you might even live in a market where Windows Phone or BlackBerry are prominent. All I know is that when I discovered these numbers, I was shocked. I couldn't believe the iOS numbers weren't much, much bigger. Also, I never realized how Android-heavy the smartphone market must be; in order for Google's smartphone super giant to outbalance the dominance of Apple among youths, the numbers must be very favorable towards Android. I'm not exaggerating when I say that at my school (and others where I have "sources"), you'd have to look pretty hard to find someone who uses something other than an iPhone. Among teenagers, the dominance of the iPhone is absolute and unquestionable.

I have no stats to defend this conclusion, but then again, none are needed. The statement is a fact in itself.

When BlackBerry is mentioned around teenagers nowadays, its all the same as with adults: theres that stubborn love to hate mentality, usually without reason. There is the common assumption that BlackBerry is going out of business. And while there is plenty of love for a vintage BlackBerry keyboard, ties have been cut in favor of iOS app/gaming ecosystem.

But.

There is a but.

When I show a friend my BlackBerry Z10 and tell them that BlackBerry is no longer based on the BBOS they knew , but the all new (to them) BlackBerry 10 OS, they are intrigued. When they see that what Im showing them is no mere BlackBerry, but a BlackBerry TEN smartphone, bias towards the device in front of them seems to seep away.

When they see the Hub, they are impressed. When I show them Flick Typing, they are forced to admit that its pretty cool. When I switch between running apps or share a photo in half the time it would take them to do so, they give their iPhone a dissatisfied squint before pocketing it. I find that many -- and maybe even most -- of the kids I put on this tour say they would definitely rather a BlackBerry 10 device than an Android, and that a BlackBerry would be their second choice for a smartphone.

Then they say something along the lines of:

So this is the newest BlackBerry?

Well.

(insert rant on BlackBerrys non-existent marketing)

With all of that being said, BlackBerry 10 isnt being used by teenagers. That too, is simply a fact in itself, and theres no way to deny it. But among my age group, people are slowly coming to accept that -- when exposed -- they like BB10's modern edge and slick design. More than iOS? Not enough to make the switch, not yet for sure. They still need their iPhone to beat their high-score on Piano Tiles. But as things-oriented kids grow into productive, efficient people, many will find they need something more than the iPhone that kept them on Twitter throughout their teen years. They'll need something powerful, something secure. They'll need a slick communication tool, not an app and game launcher. There will come a day when they will need to consider other options, and thats when well see if those numbers start to change.
    lift, LeeU1911, Bla1ze and 8 others like this.
    07-01-14 12:00 PM
    The main reason for the iPhone's dominance in schools is because the GIRLS love them: they're small, cute, and APPLE. They often get them before middle school (or get an iPod Touch), perhaps as a hand-me-down but often new, and that's what they get used to. The boys, many of whom would get something else if it was up to them, get an iPhone because they want to iMessage/Facetime with the girls.

Once people start spending their OWN money on their smartphone, they tend to look at all of the options more seriously, but in middle and high-school, it's as simple as: the girls have them, so I have to have one too.
    07-01-14 12:18 PM
    Well... what blows me away is the poor statistics that is being displayed in the referenced research.

I'm sure there is some rounding issue, but come on, really wouldn't be hard to ensure that it totals 100%. Heck, truncate the trailing decimals for Android as that doesn't really impact it. Knowing the bias, i'm sure they rounded up Android and IOS and truncated Blackberry.
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-01-14 12:18 PM
    But as “things-oriented” kids grow into productive, efficient people, many will find they need something more than the iPhone that kept them on Twitter throughout their teen years. They'll need something powerful, something secure. They'll need a slick communication tool, not an app and game launcher. There will come a day when they will need to consider other options, and that’s when we’ll see if those numbers start to change.
    Sorry I see more adults using iPhones than "kids".... main reasons are it is compatible - you want an app that can tell you the color of the sky, it has one. You want an easy to use device, it is. Biggest reason is most of these people have a tablet, and it's made by Apple also.

While I agree that BB10 make a great communications tool and the the HUB is amazing. Having and SD card for storage expansion is a wonderful feature.... the OS is fast and responsive. And I've shown people what my Z10 can do and they have really liked it... but it's the stuff it can't do that is the problem.

If you think iOS is just some phase the needs to be grown out of..... you are setting yourself up for a disappointment.
    07-01-14 12:20 PM
    You are totally right... the iPod touch is the root of all of this. It gets kids into the games, and if they get an iPhone, that allows them to continue their "campaign".

As far as gender goes, that's hard to say. In my experience, It's not so much gender as it is peers. Like "I want an iPhone because everybody has an iPhone." Maybe I'll have to look into that.
    07-01-14 12:29 PM
    Hmm...if only Apple had some other products other than iPhones and iPods that utilize the same ecosystem - something used by college students and professionals. And, if only they had a place like a store that they could show these other products alongside their kids toys. And, perhaps they could develop some professional apps for doctors or whatever to go in the App Store along with the games. Then they could do some compelling ads to highlight these grown-up apps.
    07-01-14 12:41 PM
    OK kid, you can write.... and I like it a lot. This part says a heap: "Everywhere I look, I see iPhones, the hormonal teenagers of the smartphone world, in the hands of their human equivalents."

If any smartphone executive read this, they will immediately realize what Apple did right: introduce them early to your product and marry them into your ecosystem. Create peer pressure and make your phone part of the cool image, almost a fashion accessory - be part of the "in-crowd." If it is executed as elegantly as Apple did, they may have you hooked for life - iTunes music collections, mail, iMessage, Cloud storage etc etc. It does become tedious to get out of the entanglement after a while (and expensive). That's a good strategy in the States and it seems to work for Apple for now, but they are slipping worldwide against Android. It begs the question: what is the reason(s) for the rapid rise and immense popularity of Android? What is Google doing right that Apple (let alone BlackBerry) can't figure out?

Z10 STL100-1, OS 10.2.1.3247
    redsaph, garrett1972 and Z10NIZED like this.
    07-01-14 01:00 PM
    Thank you very much m1kr0. I'm glad you liked it
    07-01-14 01:22 PM
    Z10NIZED, You are one smart kid. I've never seen such writing from someone in your age group. Keep on the straight and narrow and you will go places for sure.
    ultra07 and Z10NIZED like this.
    07-01-14 08:50 PM
    @STL100-3, thank you, glad you enjoyed
    07-01-14 09:24 PM
    IPhone is very popular among high school students where I live in Asia. But outside, in buses, trains, and on the street I mostly see Android at ratio of 8 to 2. Two years ago the ratio was reversed but today most users are Android
    07-01-14 09:41 PM
    Thank you RH1Pearl! This is what I suspected, but its nice to hear a real person back it up. I wonder what has changed to make such a huge swing.
    07-01-14 09:43 PM
    Thank you RH1Pearl! This is what I suspected, but its nice to hear a real person back it up. I wonder what has changed to make such a huge swing.
    IPhone has such great appeal on students. My 14 year old daughter has been saying to me in the past two years she hates IPhone, don't want to be part of the crowd, yada yada. We signed up for a new family plan last night and our carrier gave us free S5 and IPhone 5s. Guess what my daughter wanted? She had the S4 (hand me down from me) but quickly dumped it for the IPhone. She said because most of her friends have it. She's been staring at it since last night LOL
    07-01-14 09:48 PM
    Part of why the iPhone is so big with kids is because there it's all a huge cycle of followers right now. I do find that my friends who love their iPhones hate Android. But in order to influence people my age, all you have to do is tell them that everyone is doing it lol

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 09:52 PM
    Comes down to Marketing... Media Coverage.... and peer group.... One thing Apple and Sammy have is big marketing budget.... IN Apples case their ace in the hole so to speak is hype... nothing gets people wanting something is lineups... no one wants to feel left out.... As for Media coverage.... Both Apple and Sammy have many media outlets slanted towards them.... and in most cases against BB and to a lesser extent Windows Phones....
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-01-14 10:07 PM
    Z10NIZED, I must say you're very wise for your age group and you look beyond the horizon . I really admire you for not following the trend at your school and choose to do what you like that works best for you.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 10:30 PM
    Father of 4, one of which is starting 2nd year of high school.
    He has a flip phone, a hand me down from me.
    He has paid for the activation and fees..100$.
    It has been a year and he still has not run out.

He knows it is for emergencies either when he is on his own or with his siblings and friends and we need to get in touch.

I have a z10 which costs me around 40 $ monthly....a luxury I allow myself to afford which a 14 yr old cannot being in school and not making a full salary.

So explain to me the INSANITY which has gripped the western world where teens own smartphones, therefore fees and monthly payments, that parents pay for.

STOP.....teens do not require smartphones, in fact they require no more distractions than their hormones are equipped to process.
    Peer pressure has always manifested and we have all survived our teen years and adapted.

I don't give a rats *** about family plans from providers who force iphone purchases because we apparently absolutely need them.

My oldest will keep his flip phone and use it for what it's for.
    His siblings will also go through the same process.
    When they can afford something else, it will be for them to decide what they want.

For those parents that have enough money to pay for all the technology, think about how much you've wasted for the sake of being entertained.

Playing cards is a lot cheaper and better for family bounding.

It's certainly less lobotomizimg then having a teen not communicate and interact which their surroundings.

The stats aren't showing what the companies are doing right but what most parents are doing wrong.

Yes it's a harsh criticism but I see enough of how teens are stunted in how they relate to the world around them.

Smartphones are replaceable, parents and values aren't.

Posted via CB10
    07-01-14 11:23 PM
    Your writing is well structured. Bet you have your 5th grade teacher to thank for that!

I just graduated from high school and have to agree with most everything you posted. The only observation I have to add is that the percentage of iPhone users is not as large as you make it to be. There is a small but growing percentage of Android users ( 30% ) . This might have to do with the people I hung out with as the "popular" kids all had iPhones. One point of similarity I noticed iSheep and Fandroids share is their dedication to their platform. In fact, I'd have to say Android users are the most intolerant of other smart phone users. Most Android users were iPhone users but switched to be contrarian or feel superior. iPhone users on the other hand say that they stick with Apple because "It just works." However, whenever I show people from either group my Z10, I am almost consistently met with disdain.

In college it is even worse if you can believe it. People really are further ingrained in their beliefs the older they get! I never argue with people over which phone's the best anymore and I have BlackBerry to thank for that. BlackBerry really freed me from the grips of consumerism and brand loyalty. My Z10 does almost everything I want it to do and I plan to keep it until it breaks. I switched to BlackBerry because of my multiple email accounts and the keyboard and those reasons still keep me with BlackBerry.

Carbon Fiber Z10 w/Leather Holster
    Z10NIZED and muellerto like this.
    07-02-14 12:38 AM
    I'm sorry for your children and any high schooler that does not have a smart phone. In the high tech world today, social media and technology literacy is of paramount importance. If you don't want to see your child ostracized, get him what his peers have. Looking back to when I was in high school, I realize I'd have a lot more friends if only my parents had been able to afford $5 a month texting. I didn't even need a data plan!

07-02-14 12:44 AM
    Your daughter has good fashion taste. With the S5 out, the S4 is as good as garbage. Your daughter chose the latest iPhone 5s ( S5 / 5s confusing right? ) which is trendy. ;-)

07-02-14 12:47 AM
    Father of 4, one of which is starting 2nd year of high school.
    He has a flip phone, a hand me down from me.
    He has paid for the activation and fees..100$.
    It has been a year and he still has not run out.

He knows it is for emergencies either when he is on his own or with his siblings and friends and we need to get in touch.

I have a z10 which costs me around 40 $ monthly....a luxury I allow myself to afford which a 14 yr old cannot being in school and not making a full salary.

So explain to me the INSANITY which has gripped the western world where teens own smartphones, therefore fees and monthly payments, that parents pay for.

STOP.....teens do not require smartphones, in fact they require no more distractions than their hormones are equipped to process.
    Peer pressure has always manifested and we have all survived our teen years and adapted.

I don't give a rats *** about family plans from providers who force iphone purchases because we apparently absolutely need them.

My oldest will keep his flip phone and use it for what it's for.
    His siblings will also go through the same process.
    When they can afford something else, it will be for them to decide what they want.

For those parents that have enough money to pay for all the technology, think about how much you've wasted for the sake of being entertained.

Playing cards is a lot cheaper and better for family bounding.

It's certainly less lobotomizimg then having a teen not communicate and interact which their surroundings.

The stats aren't showing what the companies are doing right but what most parents are doing wrong.

Yes it's a harsh criticism but I see enough of how teens are stunted in how they relate to the world around them.

Smartphones are replaceable, parents and values aren't.

Posted via CB10
    I'm a father of 3. My daughter is in University and living abroad and my 14 year old goes to local high school. Having phones actually increased communication as my 14 year old WhatsApp or SMS me every hour or while she's in school so I know how she is. It really depends how you use gadgets. I mean knives are useful in the kitchen but if I use them to play catch with my kids it could be bit dangerous. As for my other child, he's autistic so we use the phone's GPS to keep track of where he is. My eldest daughter in Univ I text to check how she is, which I often do after watching scary episode of Dateline or 48 Hours.

So like all things, depends how you use it.
    07-02-14 01:12 AM
    Great piece of writing. This should be on the blogs.

Cave, cave, moderator videt
    Z10NIZED likes this.
    07-02-14 01:25 AM
    @nhanken: thank you very much my friend. Long live BlackBerry (the King)
    07-02-14 02:51 AM
    Thank you for the feedback Searchy! It is interesting to hear from different areas/situations. I am no fan of Android but it is good to hear that where you are from at least, there are people breaking out of the iPhone cycle.
    07-02-14 02:54 AM
    Thank you Ron In Motion. I'm glad you enjoyed
    07-02-14 02:56 AM