Finally a stable tethering solution for my BlackBerry!

After hearing that a beta was out for a new tethering solution, I today managed to get a copy og the app and try it out.

Using your BlackBerry as modem for your Laptop/PC is not something all networks want you to do, and it looks like they do everything they can trying to stop you. The few networks allowing tethering normally charge you lotsa dollars every month, on top of your already high BlackBerry plan.

The time of problems are now over. Save your tethering fees and get yourself a copy of TetherBerry instead.

The program consist of 2 parts. One for the desktop (a network interface driver) - and one small part for your BlackBerry.

Download and installation was as easy as it can be, and the desktop app came with BlackBerry Desktop v4.7 drivers included, and required a rebbot after install.

Connected my BlackBerry to the computer, started the TetherBerry app on both desktop and BlackBerry.

Started Internet Explorer, and got internet access instantly. No hazzle.

After trying other tethering solutions - and previous problems - I just had to try everything to se how stable this new solution was.
    Clicked onto RapidShare and tried to download the latest OS for my Bold, and some time later - all 100MB was down on my computer. No timeouts - no problems.

One big issue with competing products has been websites loading lots of java - and slow sites,... I tried them all - and it just worked!
    Facebook, Myspace, Gmail - no problems.

A fun part is that speed seems to be alot better than the device itself.
    Currently my network only have EDGE, but downloads to my computer gave between 20 and 35KB/sec. Not bad at all!

After hours of use, it's still online, still active connection, still NO timeouts, and NO need to restart services on computer or phone.

The author also tells about a version refresh that will include UDP support,... AND 64bit Windows XP/Vista

TetherBerry dont feel like a beta product at all, it's stable, and it just works...

The program have a scheduled release March 9th at 1:00PM EST

Click your way onto TetherBerry | The Web Anywhere and get your copy NOW!

@Morten
    Last edited by Lindstrom; 03-06-09 at 06:40 PM.
    03-06-09 06:10 PM
    Good review! I concur tetherberry is a great solution.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-06-09 06:22 PM
    I tried to install it but was not successful.
    03-06-09 06:43 PM
    I tried to install it but was not successful.
    Since it's still a beta, I suggest you head over to TetherBerry.com and ask for help (if you didnt already). I guess they would be interested in your configuration so they can sort out final bugs before release.

With communications it can be many things causing problems, both on computer and on phone.

Good luck -and I hope you get it up and running soon....

@Morten
    03-06-09 06:50 PM
    One of the best programs installed on my Storm right now. Love the way it just works with NO hassle
    03-06-09 08:51 PM
    True...be sure to complete the Tetherberry survey.....I sure as **** do not want to pay monthly for the app nor does the 1 time fee for the lifetime for the product, which for most of us will be until the next blackberry is released, need to be $100....that is CRAZY
    03-06-09 11:04 PM
    Just be careful of how much you will Tether, I love the program - in fact i adore it. But Verizon has stated if you go over 5 GB in your BIS plan (BES is Unlimited, the $45/month plan) then they can search for what you have done and charge you extra and may even limit how much bandwidth you are allowed. It is in there terms for BlackBerry Data.

When using this software, they from TetherBerry and I strongly encourage you read about what your plan limits and what is your current plan, because you may be charged extra for doing so.

Otherwise, this is an absolute great application and I will be buying their product when it comes out of beta, but I won't use it very much so that I don't go over 5 GB.
    Just a heads up.
    03-07-09 10:10 AM
    I got in on the Beta version, installed it no problem, but now my shortcuts to previous DM installs are invalid.

There is also NO DM 4.7 shortcut, although TetherBerry said it installed it.

I'm running Windows XPpro SP2 in a virtual environment via VMwareFusion on a Macbook running Leopard OS 10.5.6, which may have something to do with it, although VMware is a robust virtual environment.

In the process of reinstalling DM4.6 though, as I need my backup options.
    03-07-09 09:24 PM
    Just be careful of how much you will Tether, I love the program - in fact i adore it. But Verizon has stated if you go over 5 GB in your BIS plan (BES is Unlimited, the $45/month plan) then they can search for what you have done and charge you extra and may even limit how much bandwidth you are allowed. It is in there terms for BlackBerry Data.

When using this software, they from TetherBerry and I strongly encourage you read about what your plan limits and what is your current plan, because you may be charged extra for doing so.

Otherwise, this is an absolute great application and I will be buying their product when it comes out of beta, but I won't use it very much so that I don't go over 5 GB.
    Just a heads up.
    LOVING THIS Applicaiton!! $39.99 one time is sure better that $15 amonth to VZW! I'm able to work every where now, even use my Corp VPN and RDP! For me it is well worth the one time cost I was on BES and dropped to BIS, to save monthly $$, now that I have TetherBerry I might just witch back to BES just to cover my base with data usage!
    03-09-09 01:06 PM
    It appears the 39.99 price is a beta tester special and only good till 3/12 (anyone can get it thou, NOT just testers) and the price will go up after that. Don't quote me, but my guess is it'll become 59.99, and put it on par with other similar solutions.
    03-09-09 03:16 PM
    Doesn't work for me and no help from support. I have storm with the 109 desktop. It runs on the phone but the desktop gets Invalid Pointer on the USBClient dialog box. Tried uninstall and reinstall. Same problem. Other Storm owners have seen same problem. No help from support at this time and it has been hours. Guess both guys are busy.
    03-09-09 04:05 PM
    So the tethering device will be compatible with 64bit Vista? I had issues with the USB Broadband from Verizon working with my new Vista. It gave me countless BSOD's!
    03-09-09 04:23 PM
    Doesn't work for me and no help from support. I have storm with the 109 desktop. It runs on the phone but the desktop gets Invalid Pointer on the USBClient dialog box. Tried uninstall and reinstall. Same problem. Other Storm owners have seen same problem. No help from support at this time and it has been hours. Guess both guys are busy.
    So the tethering device will be compatible with 64bit Vista? I had issues with the USB Broadband from Verizon working with my new Vista. It gave me countless BSOD's!
    Watter Cullop, IM 31BE4103 or email him at [email protected], he is using TetherBerry on his Storm.
    03-09-09 05:46 PM
    Will the beta still work?
    03-09-09 05:57 PM
    Will the beta still work?
    it's my understanding you need the production version.

By the way for those with questions about speed I've attached a screen shot showing my laptop (vista 32bit) connected with my 8830.
    Last edited by kwilson8cinci; 03-09-09 at 06:11 PM.
    03-09-09 06:06 PM
    Any idea the actual speed, say using speedtest.net
    With my HTC 6800 I used to get 1,000-2,500kbps down and 150-500kbps up

now with my BB Storm and tetherberry I get 300-700kbps down and 15-100kbps up...

is this normal or is there any way to get a better speed with this setup..
    their support says it's not their software causing it.

Also is this a BB thing or tetherberry deal...

Abacus America, which my IP comes back to aplus.net...
    also shows me being closest to San Diego, CA when im in Oregon

Any suggestions, or info would be very much appreciated...

Mark
    03-10-09 10:54 PM
    Can anyone tell me if Either Tetherberry or MobiShark, Would improve the download speeds on my computer when using the 8320 as a modem?

I have been using the standard tethering method for my 8320, and it has gotten really slow lately. Before I switch to Alltel I am looking for some suggestions.
    03-15-09 09:02 AM
    I've been using TetherBerry on my 8830 VZW and getting an average of 1.5 Mb downloads. I use TetherBerry to access my corp VPN for RDP access providing server support. I find TetherBerry very helpful, when I'm on the road with no wifi hot spot.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-15-09 09:10 AM
    Anone using Tetherberry with TMO with good results? What kind uof speeds are you getting out of your connection?

I just put Mobishark on my 8320 and my notebook. I remember now how painfully slow the connection is with MobiShark. I had it on my 7100i last year and stopped using that phone and Sprint.

I wonder if Mobi will send me a new reg code since I took it off the old phone?

Thanks for the help.........
    03-15-09 04:43 PM
    Anone using Tetherberry with TMO with good results? What kind uof speeds are you getting out of your connection?

I just put Mobishark on my 8320 and my notebook. I remember now how painfully slow the connection is with MobiShark. I had it on my 7100i last year and stopped using that phone and Sprint.

I wonder if Mobi will send me a new reg code since I took it off the old phone?

Thanks for the help.........
    Problem with TMO is that you are limited to the speed of the EDGE connection.
    03-15-09 05:00 PM
    can you tether with a mac book pro?
    04-02-09 11:14 PM
    Problem with TMO is that you are limited to the speed of the EDGE connection.
    YMMV but during the beta test, TetherBerry between my 8220 and Dell D620 was no faster than tethering without it: 100kbps over EDGE, 200kbps over WiFi (i.e. using my Flip as a WiFi adapter).
    04-02-09 11:25 PM
    thetherberry is amazing!!
    04-04-09 03:05 PM
    ...really great. I happen to be one of the lucky ones that won a copy. I had it set up in minutes and I can use it easily. I think that even if I had not won the copy I would have purchased a copy.

thetherberry is amazing!!
    04-04-09 04:19 PM
    Yeah but we all know how money hungry ATT is. Can't they just block it. If they do I will have just wasted $50.
    04-13-09 05:49 PM
26 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD