It seems that Rogers Communications has 2 different classes of customers, Android, iOS and the rest of us.
    About a year ago BlackBerry released the Z30 to Canada, at that time only 2 out of the 3 big carriers in Canada planned to release it to their customers. Rogers on the other hand decided that it would not carry the phone using misleading statements as to why they wouldn't be carrying the Canadian product. With a large backlash from the BlackBerry Community, they were forced to give in and offer the phone, albeit online only but at least they did it.
    Yesterday I updated my plan with Rogers and found the offer of the Free NHL Game Centre with this upgrade. I thought this would be great when I'm out and about waiting for my wife or similar activities. What I found out though is if I didn't own an iPhone or Android device I was out of luck because Rogers did not develop an app for BlackBerry!! I found this unacceptable, here is a Canadian company spouting the great Canadian game of hockey BUT You can't watch it on your mobile device unless it was developed on foreign soil!! Rogers is showing their true colours in regards to BlackBerry users and I'm tired of it. All I have to say is "Hey Rogers, why can't you support Canadian technology AND Why are your BlackBerry customers treated differently than the others? "
    I also wish to note that they advertise Apple and Samsung as well as others on their website which were all released prior to the Passport but they don't even bother to put it up as a featured device with the other older Android and Apple devices!

Shame on you Rogers, I thought you were Canadian but your far from being a supportive partner in the BlackBerry turn around!! Shame!!!

David
    10-29-14 02:12 PM
    Not that I do not agree with the OP position but unfortunately Rogers is in the business of making money.,... not catering to a niche market.... As Iphone and Android are their bread and butter by far... it makes sense for them to develop for those platforms... It all comes down to who makes them money and regrettably Blackberry does not fit for them..... as consumers the only power you have is to not patronize businesses that do not support what you want... In Rogers case... they do not really want Blackberry.....
    jmr1015 likes this.
    10-29-14 02:20 PM
    Rogers is a monopoly and arrogant at best, but they are better than the competition, I don't like them but I respect them for what they do

Posted via CB10
    10-29-14 02:24 PM
    Have you tried downloading the Android version with Snap? I downloaded it and signed in with MyRogers account and it is working.
    Last edited by rick0415; 10-29-14 at 02:41 PM.
    sharma6 likes this.
    10-29-14 02:29 PM
    It seems that Rogers Communications has 2 different classes of customers, Android, iOS and the rest of us.
    About a year ago BlackBerry released the Z30 to Canada, at that time only 2 out of the 3 big carriers in Canada planned to release it to their customers. Rogers on the other hand decided that it would not carry the phone using misleading statements as to why they wouldn't be carrying the Canadian product. With a large backlash from the BlackBerry Community, they were forced to give in and offer the phone, albeit online only but at least they did it.
    Yesterday I updated my plan with Rogers and found the offer of the Free NHL Game Centre with this upgrade. I thought this would be great when I'm out and about waiting for my wife or similar activities. What I found out though is if I didn't own an iPhone or Android device I was out of luck because Rogers did not develop an app for BlackBerry!! I found this unacceptable, here is a Canadian company spouting the great Canadian game of hockey BUT You can't watch it on your mobile device unless it was developed on foreign soil!! Rogers is showing their true colours in regards to BlackBerry users and I'm tired of it. All I have to say is "Hey Rogers, why can't you support Canadian technology AND Why are your BlackBerry customers treated differently than the others? "
    I also wish to note that they advertise Apple and Samsung as well as others on their website which were all released prior to the Passport but they don't even bother to put it up as a featured device with the other older Android and Apple devices!

Shame on you Rogers, I thought you were Canadian but your far from being a supportive partner in the BlackBerry turn around!! Shame!!!

David
    Nationalism and business do not go along. Why a company should support another company just because is in the same country? Rogers is a business not a charitable organization.
    jmr1015 likes this.
    10-29-14 02:35 PM
    Rogers is a business....

They know how many BlackBerry users they have (what is the users base in Canada now... 12%).
    They know how many are on BES accounts where the owner will most likely lock the device to prevent such an app.
    They know how much it cost to create apps for another platform and then support it.
    They know how few developers there are that want to build for BB10.
    They know that even BlackBerry hasn't done much to support the "platform" anymore - they have even warned of possible getting out of the hardware business.
    They know that Rogers shareholders are more interested in making money than propping up some other company.

The Shame belongs to BlackBerry for getting to this point...
    jmr1015 and heartmoves like this.
    10-29-14 02:38 PM
    Not that I do not agree with the OP position but unfortunately Rogers is in the business of making money.,... not catering to a niche market.... As Iphone and Android are their bread and butter by far... it makes sense for them to develop for those platforms... It all comes down to who makes them money and regrettably Blackberry does not fit for them..... as consumers the only power you have is to not patronize businesses that do not support what you want... In Rogers case... they do not really want Blackberry.....
    That's like a saying that because a gas station sells more regular gas then diesel that that they should stop selling diesel. Plllease.
    10-29-14 02:38 PM
    For starters I'm fairly sure Rogers didn't make the app, gamecenter was available long before Rogers took over the broadcasting rights in Canada. There was a gamecenter native app but it looks like it doesn't work well and won't allow me to log in with my Rogers credentials. I am using the version from snap and it works perfectly.

Posted via CB10
    rick0415 likes this.
    10-29-14 02:43 PM
    Hi David, our VP of NHL Integration adressed this question in our community forums. Basically, it's the NHL's final decision, not ours.

BlackBerry 10 App? - Rogers Community
    10-29-14 05:59 PM
    ^ Fair answer.

To the OP: Just download the Android version. works just fine for me. I even plug it via HDMI to the TV to watch at times
    10-29-14 09:15 PM
    Seems like a stupid decision from a customer point of view. If an app works *without trouble or the need for patching* when downloaded from Snap, what "development" are they really spending/losing money on? The few minutes it takes for some intern to repackage it as a BAR with an automated tool and submit it through the vendor portal? Nobody who would be tasked with such a thing is paid so much money that it would cause tremendous (any) losses for the company to do so.

Bottom line, decisions like these are stupid and the explanations given do not ring true when one actually understands what goes into bringing an Android app over to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 11:01 AM
    Seems like a stupid decision from a customer point of view. If an app works *without trouble or the need for patching* when downloaded from Snap, what "development" are they really spending/losing money on? The few minutes it takes for some intern to repackage it as a BAR with an automated tool and submit it through the vendor portal? Nobody who would be tasked with such a thing is paid so much money that it would cause tremendous (any) losses for the company to do so.

Bottom line, decisions like these are stupid and the explanations given do not ring true when one actually understands what goes into bringing an Android app over to BlackBerry 10.

Posted via CB10
    You should volunteer to do the "simple" task. Repackaging, hosting, updating and continued updates of/to the app. You might be even able to claim a tax exemption for the free work.
    11-06-14 11:16 AM
    Nationalism and business do not go along. Why a company should support another company just because is in the same country? Rogers is a business not a charitable organization.
    Exactly.
    11-06-14 11:17 AM
    I do agree with the OP to certain degree. However, this is mainly due to Rogers begging for Canadians to support their cause to keep the Canadian mobile system Canadian; essentially trying to force the Canadian government to stop Verizon from entering into Canada and prevent US competition.

For that reason Rogers comes off very two-faced... and wasn't very impressed by this "Canadian" company.
    anon(1852343) likes this.
    11-06-14 11:24 AM
    You should volunteer to do the "simple" task. Repackaging, hosting, updating and continued updates of/to the app. You might be even able to claim a tax exemption for the free work.
    Do you actually understand what goes into converting an android APK into a BAR and signing it? It's pretty much an automated process that can be done in less time than it took for you to attempt to write a snarky reply that displays absolute ignorance of the whole process.

Why would I have to host anything? Apps are hosted on BlackBerry's servers. Are you a published app developer in BlackBerry World, as I am? Do you even understand how BlackBerry World functions or are you just trying to be a troll?

Continued updates? Sure, as long as they didn't tie it into Google Services for some ridiculous reason or try to use one of the few features of the 10.3 runtime that isn't supported which they shouldn't even be touching considering what their app does. Take new APK, and run through same automated process again. Make sure it logs in, lets you watch video and doesn't crash. Submit. Wait for BlackBerry to approve. Done.

Clearly you must not have ever published an app for BlackBerry 10, because it's obvious you don't get how the whole process even works. But sure. If they would like to contact me to have me do work you could delegate to a small child, I'm open to doing it for free.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 11:39 AM
    Do you actually understand what goes into converting an android APK into a BAR and signing it? It's pretty much an automated process that can be done in less time than it took for you to attempt to write a snarky reply that displays absolute ignorance of the whole process.

Why would I have to host anything? Apps are hosted on BlackBerry's servers. Are you a published app developer in BlackBerry World, as I am? Do you even understand how BlackBerry World functions or are you just trying to be a troll?

Continued updates? Sure, as long as they didn't tie it into Google Services for some ridiculous reason or try to use one of the few features of the 10.3 runtime that isn't supported which they shouldn't even be touching considering what their app does. Take new APK, and run through same automated process again. Make sure it logs in, lets you watch video and doesn't crash. Submit. Wait for BlackBerry to approve. Done.

Clearly you must not have ever published an app for BlackBerry 10, because it's obvious you don't get how the whole process even works. But sure. If they would like to contact me to have me do work you could delegate to a small child, I'm open to doing it for free.
    LOL.

Again, since you have a grasp of how trivial the work is, volunteer. There is a contact right here in the thread. I'm sure you'd have it wrapped up in the time it takes you to post a rebuttal.

I mean, we all know development is the domain of interns.

LOL.
    11-06-14 11:44 AM
    I do agree with the OP to certain degree. However, this is mainly due to Rogers begging for Canadians to support their cause to keep the Canadian mobile system Canadian; essentially trying to force the Canadian government to stop Verizon from entering into Canada and prevent US competition.

For that reason Rogers comes off very two-faced... and wasn't very impressed by this "Canadian" company.
    Rogers is a business...

Sorry I thought I would repeat it one more time for good measure. Lol.

Either way, Rogers doesn't have to do anything if they don't want to and if that means treating a small minority of their users like pariah then so be it. Not much anyone can do.

BUT, I think Rogers should do something. Why? Because they are Canadian. Yes I said it. They make enough money off Canadians so why not help Canadian industry a little bit?

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 11:46 AM
    Rogers is a business...

Either way, Rogers doesn't have to do anything if they don't want to and if that means treating a small minority of their users like pariah then so be it. Not much anyone can do.

BUT, I think Rogers should do something. Why? Because they are Canadian. Yes I said it. They make enough money off Canadians so why not help Canadian industry a little bit?

Posted via CB10
    I see your point, but I bet Rogers shareholders would have a somewhat different view.
    11-06-14 11:48 AM
    LOL.

Again, since you have a grasp of how trivial the work is, volunteer. There is a contact right here in the thread. I'm sure you'd have it wrapped up in the time it takes you to post a rebuttal.

I mean, we all know development is the domain of interns.

LOL.
    What makes you think I don't plan on making such an offer, and that I haven't contacted others such as the developers of Leafly with offers to help them free of charge? In the end it comes down to key people in charge digging in their heels because they made a decision and don't feel like changing their minds.

Seriously, do you also consider shrink wrapping boxes as a complicated step in the development process too? Repackaging an APK as a BAR has about as much to do with the actual development process as shrink wrapping a box. Again, what apps have you developed? I'm guessing none.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-06-14 11:54 AM
    I see your point, but I bet Rogers shareholders would have a somewhat different view.
    Haha. Most shareholders wouldn't even notice it. Do you think it would effect their business THAT much that it would effect shares? You know a company can't always please shareholders. Many bad decisions are made based on pleasing shareholders. For example BlackBerry pricing the Z10 way too high when they should have been more competitive. Small profit margins could have amounted to more device sold but instead they pleased their investors by touting their high device margins. A move by Rogers to match their competitors support of home grown industry would not be such a big issue as that example. Either way, if it is up to another company to get this app for OP and other BlackBerry users then what can Rogers do about it anyway. Just get it from Snap. At least the Android version works.

Posted via CB10
    11-06-14 07:54 PM
    Haha. Most shareholders wouldn't even notice it. Do you think it would effect their business THAT much that it would effect shares? You know a company can't always please shareholders. Many bad decisions are made based on pleasing shareholders. For example BlackBerry pricing the Z10 way too high when they should have been more competitive. Small profit margins could have amounted to more device sold but instead they pleased their investors by touting their high device margins. A move by Rogers to match their competitors support of home grown industry would not be such a big issue as that example. Either way, if it is up to another company to get this app for OP and other BlackBerry users then what can Rogers do about it anyway. Just get it from Snap. At least the Android version works.

Posted via CB10
    Again, fair points.

The bottom line I think is that if Rogers had to pick two parties of platform users to cater to, we know which ones they would pick; the same one most corporations would pick. In this case, Rogers may not be at fault.

The Netflix strike embargo showed how little power we have as BB consumers. As you note, there are options though.
    11-06-14 08:36 PM
    Rogers Canada Once Again Ignores BlackBerry Community In Canada-img_20141108_233606.png
    We call this "passing the buck". Here's their response to the offer, Tre.

Posted via CB10
    Tre Lawrence likes this.
    11-09-14 12:36 AM
    Rogers is a business...

Posted via CB10
    No I get that it's a business. But with every business there is trust with their customers. And because of Rogers' two faced position. .. this customer has lost a great deal of respect for them. I'm sure others have too. When a company continues this type of practice regularly eventually they'll lose customers.

Even though it a business they still need to maintain their ethics..

Posted via CB10 on my Stylish & Efficient Z10
    11-09-14 09:14 AM
    No I get that it's a business. But with every business there is trust with their customers. And because of Rogers' two faced position. .. this customer has lost a great deal of respect for them. I'm sure others have too. When a company continues this type of practice regularly eventually they'll lose customers.

Even though it a business they still need to maintain their ethics..

Posted via CB10 on my Stylish & Efficient Z10
    Sarcasm doesn't show well in text. I just wanted remind everyone for the gazillionth time that Rogers was a business. Lol. I agree that they should be a little bit more catering to the customers they gouge on a monthly basis. For example not forcing us to buy a phone we don't want because everyone else wants it and then not carrying the phone we want so we are forced to either give in or switch carriers. Just because BlackBerry users are few and far between doesn't mean we are lesser customers. I'm with Bell who are only slightly better. They carry BlackBerry but usually price it more than anyone else. Telus is probably the best for BlackBerry users. They have better pricing and always carry devices in store and online.

Posted via CB10
    11-09-14 11:34 AM
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_20141108_233606.png 
Views:	119 
Size:	102.4 KB 
ID:	313124
    We call this "passing the buck". Here's their response to the offer, Tre.

Posted via CB10
    I hear ya.

To be fair though, there is no way they'd allow a third party run the development, even if was their call.
    11-11-14 09:00 PM
29 12