So... the question... I'm sure you would suggest that I go with the OtterBox but I am curious if anyone has done (or has seen... link please) a comparison between the INNOCASE 360 line and the OtterBox. Thoughts?
    07-24-09 10:34 PM
    Ok you have good taste in bikes i.e Aprillia and Ducatis : )

I do like the Otterbox but typing on it looks like it would be a hard problem to overcome.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-24-09 11:15 PM
    So... the question... I'm sure you would suggest that I go with the OtterBox but I am curious if anyone has done (or has seen... link please) a comparison between the INNOCASE 360 line and the OtterBox. Thoughts?
    I havent used the Innocase 360 but I've used the Innocase II before. To be perfectly honest, it was rough getting the case into Canada due to customs. Then on top of that, I bumped into something after a month which subsequently caused the corner of the case to rub against the holster. The rubber film was scratched off the case by the top clip of the holster (it exposed the plastic underneath) as well as the corners. Then one day, one of the clips which holds the case together snapped on me for no apparent reason. Seidio has great customer service for one thing, but it ended up costing me another $30 to get a new one from them. I had to pay for shipping back to somewhere in the US. Mind you, I was promptly sent another case. The second one didnt give as much problems, but I switched phones since the keyboard stopped working.

Overall, the sleekness/style/look of the case was very appealing, but for me: constant bumping and what I constitute "regular" usage were downers in my books. The fact that I could probably chip off the sprayed on "rubberized" film with the back of a butter knife and expose plastic was another turn off. I hope the Innocase 360 has improved, but I do not have as much confidence in Seidio cases for my "regular" day. (Not out yet for the Tour either) I will say it again though, they look awesome and come in different colours usually. For the people who do not work in physically demanding jobs, then this would be a great case. Heck, I plan on buying one for my brother since he works in an office. The keyboard cover looks very appealing as well.

As for the Otterbox, I had the Otterbox for the Storm and swear by it. It's thicker than the Innocase and bulkier, but I've bumped the thing so many times into walls, cars, desks, seat belt buckles without leaving a scratch. I'm pretty sure I can hit an edge hard enough to cut the rubber skin, but that's easily remedied by getting a new skin rather than changing the entire case. I feel more confident with the Otterbox due to the thicker plastic and rubber skin. In my experience - In terms of cost, the Otterbox is technically more expensive, but everything balanced out after conversion, shipping, customs. Plus, when Otterbox released the second version of the Storm Defender, the second version was sent to me at no cost.

When all is said and done, it's really up to the end-user. If you think its big, bulky, ugly, hiding the actual size of the phone and whatever else everyone has criticized - you have a lot of other options and I'm sure you'll find something that works for you. But for those of us who are paranoid, work in physically demanding jobs, or just want some above average protection for our Blackberrys - I'd go with Otterbox.

*edit - Great review Grafixx!
    Last edited by silentcharlie; 07-24-09 at 11:25 PM.
    07-24-09 11:18 PM
    Ok you have good taste in bikes i.e Aprillia and Ducatis : )

I do like the Otterbox but typing on it looks like it would be a hard problem to overcome.

Thanks for the good taste comment.

Typing on the OtterBox is not hard at all. Like I said in the review, the sides by the extreme left and rights of the keyboards have a more acute angle / or obtuse which makes it so that you can like rest part of your thumb on there and still type perfectly fine.

I've had mine on for a couple of days now and I'm used to it already (I got mine on Thursday when I did the review). It's working like a charm and like I said, typing isn't difficult and you get used to the side keys really quickly, especially if you're typing on it a lot like I do.

@ SilentCharlie: Thanks for the compliment.
    07-25-09 07:21 AM
    Thanks for the good taste comment.

Typing on the OtterBox is not hard at all. Like I said in the review, the sides by the extreme left and rights of the keyboards have a more acute angle / or obtuse which makes it so that you can like rest part of your thumb on there and still type perfectly fine.

I've had mine on for a couple of days now and I'm used to it already (I got mine on Thursday when I did the review). It's working like a charm and like I said, typing isn't difficult and you get used to the side keys really quickly, especially if you're typing on it a lot like I do.

@ SilentCharlie: Thanks for the compliment.

It actually makes it easier for me with my fat thumbs
    07-25-09 12:00 PM
    I have the innocase and love the spring holster that comes with it. How is the holster for the defender? does it go in and out easily, but stay snug when needed?
    07-25-09 01:15 PM
    how is the material of the otterbox? right now i have a silicone skin from vzw, and not liking how it attracts lint. im thinking about getting the impact case.
    07-25-09 04:32 PM
    Thanks for the great review Grafixx01 (even if you are an Eagles fan!). Just to let everyone know, I too have had an Otterbox Defender case for my 8830 and my 8330 and just got my case for the Tour yesterday. Overall, I am happy with the case but one problem I noticed is that the nub that is in the silicone case was too pronounced on the right convenience key and was pushing it just enough that the alt button would not function properly. A little shave with a razor blade seemed to take care of the issue.
    07-25-09 05:35 PM
    Thanks for the great review Grafixx01 (even if you are an Eagles fan!). Just to let everyone know, I too have had an Otterbox Defender case for my 8830 and my 8330 and just got my case for the Tour yesterday. Overall, I am happy with the case but one problem I noticed is that the nub that is in the silicone case was too pronounced on the right convenience key and was pushing it just enough that the alt button would not function properly. A little shave with a razor blade seemed to take care of the issue.
    I also had this small issue with the small "smart button" section being too pronounced,keeps activating my camera with any brisk touch,gonna remove the silicone later and take a look at that inner nub you where referring to,Thank you for posting this,ALSO wanna truly thank Graffixx01 for the airtight review,well done!
    07-26-09 08:50 AM
    I went to order mine today, but see they are on back order...
    07-26-09 08:54 AM
    I have an Otterbox Defender for a Tour. I loved the protection but for some reason it appears to make my keys not respond as well and I don't just mean that it takes some getting used to. After having it on for a day I noticed towards the end of the day that answering calls or trying to access the phone after the screen blacked out seemed like a pain. I would hit any button and it wouldn't respond after several presses. Than I figured out just to hold the left side button until the screen came back but that is not a fix.

Since I have had the Otterbox off the phone for the past 2 days these issues of responsiveness have stopped completely. I think I am just going to try to get a replacement from Otterbox.
    07-26-09 07:32 PM
    Great review!

Not a fan of it visually however..
    I would never be able to use one of those.
    I can't even handle the silicon ones.
    07-26-09 07:34 PM
    I have had the same problem, I have taken the case off. Otterbox has told me they are going to send me a new case when the charging port issue has been corrected so I am hoping that this issue will also be addressed. I missed several call because the keys were so unresponsive. I dont understand what could cause this.
    07-26-09 07:36 PM
    I have had the same problem, I have taken the case off. Otterbox has told me they are going to send me a new case when the charging port issue has been corrected so I am hoping that this issue will also be addressed. I missed several call because the keys were so unresponsive. I dont understand what could cause this.
    Yea, its starting to irritated me as well. As soon as Seidio comes out with the 360 I'll grab that
    07-26-09 07:55 PM
    Ok good so it isn't only me then.

07-26-09 09:46 PM
    Well mine is coming in the mail wont be here for a week and a half so im not in a rush so i hope i dont have to send mine back sorry to hear that ive had them in the past and like them.

Heads up for anyone though about buying them i picked mine up at buy.com for 30.03 after shipping and tax ca tax so much fun they didnt have a picture up but ive bought from them before and was pleased so im keeping my fingers crosses this is for the defender series as well
    07-27-09 03:19 AM
    I have an Otterbox Defender for a Tour. I loved the protection but for some reason it appears to make my keys not respond as well and I don't just mean that it takes some getting used to. After having it on for a day I noticed towards the end of the day that answering calls or trying to access the phone after the screen blacked out seemed like a pain. I would hit any button and it wouldn't respond after several presses. Than I figured out just to hold the left side button until the screen came back but that is not a fix.

Since I have had the Otterbox off the phone for the past 2 days these issues of responsiveness have stopped completely. I think I am just going to try to get a replacement from Otterbox.
    I also had this exact same issue with the my tour not "waking up" with simple key touches since i put the defender on,last nite I took off the case,did a battery pull and THAT did the trick for me,I reinstalled the otterbox yesterday and now she works fine and wakes up from sleep mode if i touch any button.Thank god,This has to TRULY be the BEST case/holster combo that Ive ever had and i Really cant see myself having this phone without this otterbox case.I love the Rugged military grade/law enforcement PDA.
    07-27-09 07:26 AM
    I spoke with someone this morning at Otterbox and they are currently addressing the quality issues with it. Their site shows them as not available.
    07-27-09 12:00 PM
    I had the same issue after about 3 days of the device being in the OtterBox. However, I did battery pulls and it didn't work that well. I went to VZW and had them switch out my phone and now it's working fine. I'm not too worried about the charging port issue since I already cut a piece off my charging cord.
    07-27-09 12:13 PM
    I received my OtterBox today. It is built much better than the Storm case. I am very impressed with the molded keyboard cover. It does not hinder the typing in any way for me. I actually love my Tour even more now with this case.

The charger will plug into my case, but it is extremely tight, too tight. Hopefully they will have a revised edition shortly. I will not be able to go without the Otterbox on my Tour now!
    07-27-09 07:00 PM
    Got mine today....I love it BUT I have the same keyboard issues that only affect the top four buttons and the trackball. You need to hit the buttons several times to get them to work. As soon as i remove the keyboard cover it works fine. Also the charging connector is bogus! I called them and they told me I could force the connector in.

If it wasnt for those issues the thing ROCKS!
    07-27-09 07:58 PM
    I put the Phantom screen cover on today and like it a lot. Thinking of getting the otterbox defender, but not using the screen/keyboard cover. Anyone try this combination and what do you think?
    07-27-09 08:19 PM
    For those having issues with their Tour buttons do to unresponsiveness, try doing a long press ( hold the button down for approximately 1 sec) and that should clear things up. Let me know if this works for you.
    07-28-09 03:00 AM
    I put the Phantom screen cover on today and like it a lot. Thinking of getting the otterbox defender, but not using the screen/keyboard cover. Anyone try this combination and what do you think?
    the screen protector is actually connected to the shellcase,as far as that clear keyboard cover i personally dont use it,I like the feel of the actual buttons when i type.BUT on another note what id really LOVE to know is WHY does this particular case occasionally cause that button delay on the device,Im assuming either exterior compression that the case may cause the interior boards,OR possibly the magnetic field thats coming from the holsters magnet.I cant see what else it can be that could ever cause this.Unfortunatly I had to call sprint and get another TOUR,just checked the tracking and its out for shipment today.Unfortunately My convenience key wasnt behaving at all,Had to be pressed in extremely hard for it to respond.BUT Once i recieve my 2nd tour today I will be installing the otterbox on it and Ill def be ontop of it.
    Last edited by MAXIMUS1000; 07-28-09 at 06:26 AM.
    07-28-09 06:23 AM
    I had the same problem with key responsiveness. So I took the skin off and noticed that the bottom left corner of the hard plastic case was not snapped together fully. It was hard to get it together, but when it snapped the phone is just as responsive in the case as it is when it is not in the case now. YMMV. Now if the power adapter didn't fit so tightly we'd be in business.
    07-28-09 07:26 AM
258 12345 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD