Built for Business - Learn more about BlackBerry KEY2
10-21-14 06:59 AM
39 12
tools
    I thought I'd start a thread for those of use who use Google Apps for Business and Blackberry. Questions, thoughts, ideas, whatever.

I'm an attorney; solo practitioner. One of the things I love about my work is that I get to use whatever tech/gadgets I want.

I've been using Blackberry since the 850. Yes, I'mthat old. I've been using Google Apps for Business (paid version) since release.

I realize that many people would suggest I use Android, but I just can't let go of my beloved Blackberry.

I've found that, for me, it's worth using and paying for hosted BES (GBES) for Google Apps. You can find it here: Hosted BlackBerry Enterprise Server for Google Apps

This is not a plug for anything; I'm simply stating how I use and connect my BB to Google Apps for Biz.

I'd appreciate hearing from others who use Google Apps for Business and their experiences. Have you upgraded to BB10? If so, how did the transition from your legacy BB OS go?
    05-06-13 08:23 PM
    I do have a question. I am using BES 10 for work, and love that when i write an email on my computer and send it shows as sent on my blackberry. This way i know when I have responded to various emails. Does google Apps do this as I think it would also be EAS?
    05-06-13 08:45 PM
    Yep, it does. I can see all my sent messages. The syncing is great.

Posted via CB10
    05-06-13 11:11 PM
    I'm not a BB user yet, but I have Google Apps for business.
    I have had an iPhone 3GS for 3.5 years. No complaints, really. It's been a good phone for me. But I'm switching to a smaller carrier soon, and they don't support the iPhone. I'm deliberating between an Android and a BB (likely the Z10).
    I'm assuming the advantage of an Android is the complete integration with gmail, calendar, etc.
    If I understand your previous posts correctly, the way for me to get the same level of integration with a BB is to go with a BES solution. Is this correct? And if so, is about $10/month per device what I should expect to pay for it?

Thx
    06-06-13 11:54 AM
    Dosto, I too am a long time BB user (I started with a 957). Over the past 4 years I have used Google Apps as the platform for 2 businesses. I am currently using the standard edition because we are under 10 users for both companies. I upgraded to a Z10 from a 9900 and I am pleased with Google Apps on BB10, HOWEVER it does need some feature additions to a) be on par with the gmail plug-in from BBOS and b) to keep up with the web version. My feature requests are as follows:

1. Using Active Sync or IMAP we need to have remote search (I dont want to use the forever mode to load up my Z10, I want to be able to search my older than 30 day emails on the server).

2. Syncing of all/any folders (labels) on my Z10. Some of the system labels are not available on the Z10 like All Mail.

3. Ability to star emails on my Z10.

4. Ability to delete emails from google apps from my Z10. Currently deleted mails are not deleted on the web. I would be OK if the deletes went to trash and then you could recover if you wanted it back.

5. Z10 Calendar cannot add participants when using active sync. This needs to be fixed.

6. Like the new feature on the web, I would like to be able to select a date and time in a email to automatically create a calendar entry.

Currently I use a combination of Active Sync or email, CALDEV for Calendar and CARDDEV for contacts. If Active Sync was fixed for the Calendar I would upgrade my primary account to a paid apps accounts to be able to continue with Active Sync which in my limited experience is better on the battery. I do think that Google is "being evil" by removing Active Sync for gmail and standard GAPPS.

I would like to see a full CB thread dedicated to BB users of Google Apps so that we can share our experiences and discuss issues and solutions.
    06-06-13 12:33 PM
    I am also a long time Blackberry user, started back in 99 with the RIM 950. I've had most devices in between and am now using a Z10. Since it's inception I've also been a Google apps users, and I truly believe it's still the best email service available, at least for my needs. I'm a real estate agent, so much like the OP I have the benefit of choosing all my own tech and services for my business and staying connected is extremely important to me.

I have had an iPhone 3GS for 3.5 years. No complaints, really. It's been a good phone for me. But I'm switching to a smaller carrier soon, and they don't support the iPhone. I'm deliberating between an Android and a BB (likely the Z10).
    I'm assuming the advantage of an Android is the complete integration with gmail, calendar, etc.
    If I understand your previous posts correctly, the way for me to get the same level of integration with a BB is to go with a BES solution. Is this correct? And if so, is about $10/month per device what I should expect to pay for it?

Thx
    I used a BES connector with my legacy devices, but contrary to the OP I no longer find it necessary with BB10, nearly all the functionality I require is available just by connecting my Z10 to my google apps account directly over exchange active sync, I get nearly instant email, 2 way sync, 2 way contact sync., 2 way calendar sync and everything works damn near flawlessly. I have dropped my hosted bes services and see no need for them at this time. Even remote wipe is possible directly from the google apps control panel over active sync. As far as I can tell the only feature I would gain by paying the 10/month for BES is the ability to create IT policy's which while may be relevant to many, does not affect me in any way as I have no employees that who's access I need to limit.

That's not to say google's implementation of active sync is not lacking in anyway, just not in ways that I see a BES solutions helping with... that said, the poster below is quite correct in many areas..

Dosto, I too am a long time BB user (I started with a 957). Over the past 4 years I have used Google Apps as the platform for 2 businesses. I am currently using the standard edition because we are under 10 users for both companies. I upgraded to a Z10 from a 9900 and I am pleased with Google Apps on BB10, HOWEVER it does need some feature additions to a) be on par with the gmail plug-in from BBOS and b) to keep up with the web version. My feature requests are as follows:

1. Using Active Sync or IMAP we need to have remote search (I dont want to use the forever mode to load up my Z10, I want to be able to search my older than 30 day emails on the server).

Agreed, this would be very nice to have.

2. Syncing of all/any folders (labels) on my Z10. Some of the system labels are not available on the Z10 like All Mail.

All of my labels come though fine, including the All Mail.. from the hub click in the blue bar, click on the google apps account, click on the gmail folder and the all mail folder is nested there.

I don't really use the star's myself, but agreed the option should be there. For me i'd like to see the flag option on the blackberry also trigger the message to me added to "flag for follow up" in the inbox.

4. Ability to delete emails from google apps from my Z10. Currently deleted mails are not deleted on the web. I would be OK if the deletes went to trash and then you could recover if you wanted it back.

A little blunt to say deleted mails not not deleted on the web, they are.. it's just that google's default action when a message is deleted is to remove it from the inbox and archive it rather then actually deleting it.. for me personally, I prefer this and it's the way I've always done it.. but again, I agree the option should be user selectable for those that wish to go full delete.

5. Z10 Calendar cannot add participants when using active sync. This needs to be fixed.

Agreed.

6. Like the new feature on the web, I would like to be able to select a date and time in a email to automatically create a calendar entry.

Agreed.

Currently I use a combination of Active Sync or email, CALDEV for Calendar and CARDDEV for contacts. If Active Sync was fixed for the Calendar I would upgrade my primary account to a paid apps accounts to be able to continue with Active Sync which in my limited experience is better on the battery. I do think that Google is "being evil" by removing Active Sync for gmail and standard GAPPS.

I would like to see a full CB thread dedicated to BB users of Google Apps so that we can share our experiences and discuss issues and solutions.
    dosto likes this.
    06-06-13 01:01 PM
    Just_luc, thanks for the suggestion on getting all mail synced to my Z10. I did find the all mail folder, however it does not display any messages. It is set up for available in IMAP on the GAPPS settings but on the Z10 settings it is greyed out. I cannot view the emails in the all mail folder on my Z10.
    06-06-13 01:21 PM
    Thank you just_luc! Very helpful. Thanks for taking the time to reply.
    The prospect of paying another $10 per month for functionality I would get by default on Android is not very appealing, so your perspective is reassuring.
    06-06-13 03:19 PM

Thx
    Curious, yes, the BES solution will cost you an extra $10/month, but as others have pointed out, ActiceSync is free; I've just found that the BES solution works best for me. If you go with BB, you can try the ActiveSync first and as long as it works for you, then no need for BES.

As for the Android option, my wife uses an SG3 and she uses the same Google Apps for Biz account with me. She loves it. Everything syncs quite nicely, and works well. Personally, I just like using a BlackBerry as my daily driver.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    06-06-13 11:42 PM

Jeffawa, I agree that there are a number of improvements I'd like to see. Hopefully, with the maturation of BB10 we'll see consistent progress. Also, i'd love to see more threads on Google Apps users.

@dunaway - Posted with TMO Q10 via CB10
    06-06-13 11:48 PM
    Thank you dosto. With so many great phones out there, it's hard to go too wrong. An Android would probably make more sense than anything given my situation, but I think I'm going to give the BB a try. I like the underdog!
    just_luc likes this.
    06-07-13 06:43 PM
    I would like to explore the "All Mail" folder question.

Several people have said in CB posts that despite enabling visibility for that folder over IMAP in the Google settings page (is there a "show in EAS" option if you have a paid Gapps account?), it does not work. just_luc: do you see and can you open messages in that folder, or are you just stating that you can see the folder? (This may also be a Blackberry firmware-revision-dependent issue)

I won't get into the wisdom of trying to sync folders holding 10's of thousands of messages to a mobile device - in a nutshell, it tends to be a bad idea, especially with a device like a BB10 device that does not provide a "headers only" or "headers and bodies only" sync option.

The perennial problem with Google is that they make a bunch of proprietary changes to "standard" protocols, in effect making them no longer "standard". As such, everyone that wishes to have "full support" has to code to their idiosyncracies, which are subject to change at any time. That ends up being a morass in many cases, and as we have seen with Google time and time again, they often just discontinue features millions of people rely-on at a moments notice, leaving them stranded without options.

So in that sense, I can understand why Blackberry these days might not be very excited about the idea of coding to all of Google's proprietary idiosyncracies any more. Especially when it's becoming increasingly evident that they are using their platform quirks more and more for "ecosystem lock-in", just the way everyone used to gripe about how Microsoft does that. (The term that Microsoft coined for that practice was "Embrace and Extend", and they were widely reviled for it, and got in a lot of anti-trust hot-water over it too, ie in the case of Java.)
    06-08-13 01:12 AM
    I would like to explore the "All Mail" folder question.

Several people have said in CB posts that despite enabling visibility for that folder over IMAP in the Google settings page (is there a "show in EAS" option if you have a paid Gapps account?), it does not work. just_luc: do you see and can you open messages in that folder, or are you just stating that you can see the folder? (This may also be a Blackberry firmware-revision-dependent issue)
    I am able to see and open messages in my all mail folder. At first it was empty like the rest of you, if you open it it says it's loading entries for a while, then comes up with nothing..

However, once in the folder if you click the overflow menu there's an option to enable sync

The unofficial Google Apps for Business & Blackberry thread-img_00000457.png

I clicked that, nothing happened at first.. seemed like it didn't do anything.. then sometime between 2 and 24 hours later the folder was synced. Sorry I can't be more accurate on the time frame, I checked it religiously for the first few hours and then forgot until the next day.

P.S someone was mentioning about the starred folder as well, same instructions work for it, and then once it's synced an 'file' messages to the folder from the device and they appear in the starred folder in gmail.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 01:41 AM
    I clicked that, nothing happened at first.. seemed like it didn't do anything.. then sometime between 2 and 24 hours later the folder was synced. Sorry I can't be more accurate on the time frame, I checked it religiously for the first few hours and then forgot until the next day.

Fabulous, thanks.

Now the question is whether the same procedure works for IMAP. I know someone who would be very happy if that were the case.
    06-08-13 02:07 AM
    Fabulous, thanks.

Now the question is whether the same procedure works for IMAP. I know someone who would be very happy if that were the case.
    I don't believe this possible over Imap. I just double checked on my wife's Z10 which is setup over Imap with gmail and the enable folder sync option is not present.

For the purposes of this thread though, anyone using Google apps for business should have access to EAS and be able to achieve it.

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 02:17 AM

Doesn't appear to work in IMAP. When you long-press a folder in IMAP, all you get is an "Add folder" option.

With an EAS account (testing here with outlook.com), what you might call "system" folders act the same, presumably non-system or user-added folders give the options you mention, including enable/disable folder sync.

On my outlook.com account, the only 2 folders that give that option (I haven't created any user folders, just a test account) are "Archive" and "Junk".
    06-08-13 02:29 AM
    'Archive' would be similar to 'All mail' in Google apps. Google seems to give the option for nearly all the system folders though, 'All mail' 'starred' 'spam' 'follow up' and all user created folders. A few don't have the option because they are forced on 'inbox' 'sent items' 'drafts' the only folder I've found that isn't on by default and dosen't seem to have the option of being turned on is 'trash'

Posted via CB10
    06-08-13 10:18 AM
    The "All Mail" solution from just_luc does not work for me. I am on the standard (free) google apps and I believe that some of the API's are blocked for the free version. I have a question about active sync for the free google apps accounts, mine works now on 2 free GAPPS accounts I have (both provisioned prior to Jan 30), when is google going to stop active sync for free accounts?
    06-10-13 09:53 AM
    The "All Mail" solution from just_luc does not work for me. I am on the standard (free) google apps and I believe that some of the API's are blocked for the free version. I have a question about active sync for the free google apps accounts, mine works now on 2 free GAPPS accounts I have (both provisioned prior to Jan 30), when is google going to stop active sync for free accounts?

The only accounts that can currently use EAS are either PAID Google accounts, or free Google accounts where the specific mobile device in use was setup before the EAS shutdown for free accounts.

The protocol allows the server to recognize a unique ID for each device that connects to it. If you try to setup a new device on a free Google account using EAS today, it will NOT work.

If you had a device already setup using EAS on a free account it will continue to work - but if anything happens, ie you need to reload the OS or re-setup the email account - IT WILL NO LONGER ALLOW EAS TO BE USED.
    just_luc likes this.
    06-10-13 06:36 PM
    Omnitech is correct. Solutions in this thread specifically reference Google Apps FOR BUSINESS which is the paid version. Hence the thread title. If you are using Google Apps standard, the legacy free product don't be surprised is a lot of what you read here does not apply to you. Services on your account will differ from ours, and products you have or had may be phased out while they may still be available to paid users.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:10 PM
    Omnitech and just_luc thanks for your notes. I am using standard GAPPS and I have active sync for email working. I have reloaded most leaks on my Z10 since launch and it still works. I did hear that active sync will end, I just don't know when.
    I would consider upgrading to paid GAPPS if remote search and calendar invites get fixed.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 07:32 PM
    Omnitech and just_luc thanks for your notes. I am using standard GAPPS and I have active sync for email working. I have reloaded most leaks on my Z10 since launch and it still works. I did hear that active sync will end, I just don't know when.
    I would consider upgrading to paid GAPPS if remote search and calendar invites get fixed.

You must have both one of the earliest purchasers of a BB10 device and one of the last people to get a mobile account supporting EAS on Google.

EAS for free Google accounts was long-gone by the time the Z10 arrived in US stores.
    06-10-13 08:01 PM
    Canadian, purchased Z10 on opening day. But that was after the Jan 31 cutoff.

I thought I read the active sync was going to end this summer.

Posted via CB10
    06-10-13 08:10 PM
    It was January 31st, but it seemed to be a slow kill many who bought their z10's on February 5th were able to connect and up until the middle of February. I know at this point no new devices are able to be added to free accounts, but I don't believe they intend to cut off existing connections. One thing im not sure about is that you can't re-connect after wiping a device or reloading the OS. I would assume it's done by mac address and continue to recognize the device as existing, but I can't confirm that.

Posted via CB10
    Last edited by just_luc; 06-10-13 at 08:41 PM.
    06-10-13 08:25 PM
    It was January 31st, but it seemed to be a slow kill many who bought their z10's on February 5th were able to connect and up until the middle of February. I know at this point no new devices are able to be added to free accounts, but I don't believe they intend to cut off existing connections. One thing im not sure about is that you can't re-connect after wiping a device or reloading the OS. I would assume it's done by mac address and continue to recognize the device as existing, but I can't confirm that.

MAC addresses are meaningless outside of a local network segment. (from a networking standpoint anyway, see below)

All devices connecting with EAS are required to have unique identifiers - this is exchanged with and stored on the server. Microsoft is not picky about the actual string (within certain general parameters) but it must be globally unique, so that no other device the server will ever encounter will be using that same string.

MAC addresses are supposed to be globally unique, but so are MEIDs (a specifically supported field in the EAS handshake) and various other types of GUIDs.

I don't know of a specific instance of someone reconfiguring a specific device and losing access to EAS on Google, but just the possibility that it *could* happen should be enough for someone who expects reliable service to consider the potential implications of that if it does occur.

If your device stops working or for any reason you get a replacement unit even of the identical model, I would expect that it will no longer be able to be setup with Google on a free account as the hardware GUID will have changed.
    06-11-13 03:14 AM
39 12