02-23-15 09:33 AM
49 12
tools
    Sorry for the delayed response. This company doesn't have BES10, and I added via active sync. I'm not the expert on this, but the pb clearly indicate balance was active.
    03-06-13 10:54 PM
    Well, trying to revive this thread. Any info about a shared host providing BES 10 or similar solution? Does Balance work with ActiveSync? Thanks in advance.
    03-14-13 07:38 PM
    At the risk of banging my head against the wall I have started an e-mail support conversation to confirm whether Godaddy has BES 10 or not. So far they have told me to just remove my old blackberry and add my new one in the hosting screen and it should work. I have replied thanking them (always try to be nice at first) and then asking for a direct answer to my question as to whether they have BES 10 loaded yet. I just got my Z10 today but I really don't have time to migrate it today so I can wait a day or two and try and squeeze an answer out of them. I have found Godaddy support to actually be really good on certain products (products they host inside) and average on other products (products others host for them such as hosted exchange which is actually run by Microsoft). I will post either good or bad as soon as I get "the answer".
    03-26-13 09:42 PM
    At the risk of banging my head against the wall I have started an e-mail support conversation to confirm whether Godaddy has BES 10 or not. So far they have told me to just remove my old blackberry and add my new one in the hosting screen and it should work. I have replied thanking them (always try to be nice at first) and then asking for a direct answer to my question as to whether they have BES 10 loaded yet. I just got my Z10 today but I really don't have time to migrate it today so I can wait a day or two and try and squeeze an answer out of them. I have found Godaddy support to actually be really good on certain products (products they host inside) and average on other products (products others host for them such as hosted exchange which is actually run by Microsoft). I will post either good or bad as soon as I get "the answer".
    Best of luck to you! I gave up after my emails which I included earlier in this thread. I very much doubt they'll even get BES 10 with the availability of EAS on BB10. But let us know how it goes.
    03-26-13 09:53 PM
    As much as I don't like the answer at least it is definative, this is directly from Godaddy:

Support Staff Response

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for contacting Online Support. You can setup the Blackberry phone on Hosted Exchange as an active device. We do not support the Blackberry 10 on BES.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Sincerely,
    Paul P.
    Online Support Team

My next step is to call and ask if they ever plan too, (too painful to do that through e-mal). The main reason I want BES support is full remote wipe of the device. I know through active synch I can remove the e-mail but I want a full remote wipe which a Blackberry employee told me could only be done through BES. I have seen the statement on here that Active Synch could wipe the device but after reading the Microsoft KB I think you could read it to mean that it only removes the Exchange e-mail, contacts and calendar but does not wipe the memory card etc. What kills me is that Godaddy could have had all of their BES cals upgraded for free to BES 10 and continue the revenue stream. I suspect they figured most people would just opt for Active Synch so it wasn't worth the time to put a custom front end on the BES server like they have done for BES 5 so you can activate your own devices. It's frustrating to say the least. Moreover, as I start to hire employee's I would love to use blackberry balance but I suspect Godaddy wouldn't even go near that one. My company will only grow to a few employees so managing my own exchange server is overkill.

"Living the dream"
    03-27-13 01:22 AM
    Just got off the phone with Godaddy tech support who talked with the development team and at the current time they have no plans to implement BES 10. I explained the remote wipe issue as well as the desire to use Balance for employees and that some people are willing to pay for those features. Like I said in my last post, I hate the answer but at least they are giving an accurate answer instead of "here is the blackberry activation help page please follow it" which will never work since they are running BES 5. They said they are writing up an article on how to do Active Synch with the Godaddy Hosted Exchange and the BBOS 10 for hose people who can't figure it out. Looks pretty easy to me, I will find out tonight.
    03-27-13 03:05 PM
    Thank you for your response. Then its useless for private use...
    What is useless for private use?

Posted via CB10 from the BlackBerry Z10
    03-27-13 03:44 PM
    Well, trying to revive this thread. Any info about a shared host providing BES 10 or similar solution? Does Balance work with ActiveSync? Thanks in advance.
    Yes, Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync and BlackBerry Balance can work together when BlackBerry Balance is enabled on BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10. There is no BlackBerry Balance unless BES 10 is deployed and the BlackBerry Balance feature enabled. You can download and install BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 for free with a 60-day SRP and CALs. You can download and install Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard to host BES 10. Since you asked about a hosted solution I am assuming you are an individual or small business, hence my suggestions. Permanent CALs cost USD99.00. You can install and configure Microsoft SBS and BlackBerry BES in an afternoon and active the first BlackBerry Z10 approximately 15 minutes later if you've ever been a system administrator in a Microsoft environment.

03-27-13 03:57 PM
    As much as I don't like the answer at least it is definative, this is directly from Godaddy:

Support Staff Response

Dear Matthew,

Thank you for contacting Online Support. You can setup the Blackberry phone on Hosted Exchange as an active device. We do not support the Blackberry 10 on BES.

Please let us know if we can assist you in any other way.

Sincerely,
    Paul P.
    Online Support Team

My next step is to call and ask if they ever plan too, (too painful to do that through e-mal). The main reason I want BES support is full remote wipe of the device. I know through active synch I can remove the e-mail but I want a full remote wipe which a Blackberry employee told me could only be done through BES. I have seen the statement on here that Active Synch could wipe the device but after reading the Microsoft KB I think you could read it to mean that it only removes the Exchange e-mail, contacts and calendar but does not wipe the memory card etc. What kills me is that Godaddy could have had all of their BES cals upgraded for free to BES 10 and continue the revenue stream. I suspect they figured most people would just opt for Active Synch so it wasn't worth the time to put a custom front end on the BES server like they have done for BES 5 so you can activate your own devices. It's frustrating to say the least. Moreover, as I start to hire employee's I would love to use blackberry balance but I suspect Godaddy wouldn't even go near that one. My company will only grow to a few employees so managing my own exchange server is overkill.

"Living the dream"
    You can hire my company to install and configure Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 on a new hard drive and ship it to you with the Microsoft Exchange accounts and BlackBerry Enterprise Service accounts created. All you'd need to do is install the hard drive into a server with at least 8 GB RAM. You would register Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard with Microsoft and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 with BlackBerry directly. For BES the cost is USD99.00 for each CAL but I am not certain about any fee for the SRP. For MS SBS you need to pay for CALs based on their pricing structure. The fee to install and configure the software charged by my company is a flat fee and includes written instructions addressing how to activate a BlackBerry Z10 as well as how to add the permanent SRP and CALs. Send a PM if you have any questions.

03-27-13 04:15 PM
    Just got off the phone with Godaddy tech support who talked with the development team and at the current time they have no plans to implement BES 10. I explained the remote wipe issue as well as the desire to use Balance for employees and that some people are willing to pay for those features. Like I said in my last post, I hate the answer but at least they are giving an accurate answer instead of "here is the blackberry activation help page please follow it" which will never work since they are running BES 5. They said they are writing up an article on how to do Active Synch with the Godaddy Hosted Exchange and the BBOS 10 for hose people who can't figure it out. Looks pretty easy to me, I will find out tonight.
    If you don't need BlackBerry Balance then Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync offers remote device wipe and a few other policies. Enjoy!

03-27-13 04:22 PM
    You can hire my company to install and configure Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 on a new hard drive and ship it to you with the Microsoft Exchange accounts and BlackBerry Enterprise Service accounts created. All you'd need to do is install the hard drive into a server with at least 8 GB RAM. You would register Microsoft Windows Small Business Server 2011 Standard with Microsoft and BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 with BlackBerry directly. For BES the cost is USD99.00 for each CAL but I am not certain about any fee for the SRP. For MS SBS you need to pay for CALs based on their pricing structure. The fee to install and configure the software charged by my company is a flat fee and includes written instructions addressing how to activate a BlackBerry Z10 as well as how to add the permanent SRP and CALs. Send a PM if you have any questions.

Thanks for the offer but if I wanted to go that route I would just do it myself since I was a senior server engineer for 20 years managing Windows/Exchange/AD etc. I have the knowledge that is not the problem. The problem is I make a lot more money in my new career than I can as a Server Engineer. So I want to outsource that piece so I can concentrate on my business.
    03-27-13 05:52 PM
    If you don't need BlackBerry Balance then Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync offers remote device wipe and a few other policies. Enjoy!

Thanks for the comment. Have you tested it and wiped a Blackberry phone and confirmed all internal memory is wiped included any installed micro SD memory cards? Is the phone set back to a default out of the box state with nothing on it? According to a Blackberry employee I talked with at the S.F. Blackberry conference in February you need a BES server to do a full wipe.
    03-27-13 05:58 PM
    What is useless for private use?

To setup an own private Server for BB10.
    Is Microsoft Active Sync integrated in Windows Server 2008 R2? Now i am confused. If yes i only need to install a virtualized BES10 on a Windows 2008 R2 and buy a Licence per Device/per Year?

First i thought i need to pay for Server OS, Active Sync Software, BES Account Carrier/monthly and Device Licence/per Year. But BES Account Carrier is not needed anymore and if Active Sync Software is not needed to, then its maybe manageable.
    03-29-13 11:03 AM
    Is Microsoft Active Sync integrated in Windows Server 2008 R2? Now i am confused. If yes i only need to install a virtualized BES10 on a Windows 2008 R2 and buy a Licence per Device/per Year?

First i thought i need to pay for Server OS, Active Sync Software, BES Account Carrier/monthly and Device Licence/per Year. But BES Account Carrier is not needed anymore and if Active Sync Software is not needed to, then its maybe manageable.
    Active Sync comes with the exchange server.

So You need a Server, Exchange and BED. As a small company You can use the SmallBusinessServer and install BED on the same machine, which of course can be a virtual machine.

That setup will enable all the BES benefits, including remote whipe, work drive and policies. It's easy done, reliable and will provide some more additional features (i.e Outlook Web Access, ability to connect other devices via Active Sync and so on). If you're not familiar with such setup, plenty of companies should provide you the setup and maintenance on the server.

Posted via CB with my Z10
    Chriz likes this.
    03-30-13 08:35 AM
    Btw, the balance activation on my playbook with active sync must be a bug. Now that I have my Z10, it didn't happen. Only the bes10 account used it.

Posted via CB10
    03-30-13 01:40 PM
    Thanks for the comment. Have you tested it and wiped a Blackberry phone and confirmed all internal memory is wiped included any installed micro SD memory cards? Is the phone set back to a default out of the box state with nothing on it? According to a Blackberry employee I talked with at the S.F. Blackberry conference in February you need a BES server to do a full wipe.
    We use BlackBerry Enterprise Service 10 and Microsoft Exchange 2010 so I cannot provide any firsthand experience with EAS IT policies and device wipes in an environment without a BES. Sorry. Check Microsoft's website.

04-02-13 12:34 AM
    BlackBerry protect takes care of the device wipe including micro sd cards. I will say active synch works BUT it is not as fast as BES on the godaddy servers. BES was usually instantaneous on godaddy but i have had 10 minute and longer delays with active synch.
    04-14-13 02:32 AM
    I think you have a setting wrong then. My Exchange Active Sync mail on GoDaddy has never taken close to 10 minutes to arrive on my Z10. The longest wait has maybe been 15 seconds, but usually it's instant.
    04-14-13 12:04 PM
    ActiveSync can absolutely perform a remote wipe.
    06-20-13 01:06 PM
    Activesync is a joke. I keep adding folders on my desktop but activesync wont recognize them on my device and keeps deleting emails once I move them over on the desktop. I wish i could figure out why its doing this. Tried deleting and re adding the account on the device, have made sure that sync folders is on, but it continues to happen. Any suggestions?
    06-25-13 01:14 PM
    ActiveSync can absolutely perform a remote wipe.
    The trouble with Active Sync is while MS add features such as remote wipe to it it's entirely up to the phone or tablet OS manufacturer as to whether they support that Active Sync feature on the device. No major manufacturers support Password Recovery for example even though MS provide the function in Active Sync, and that includes MS themselves with Windows Phone!

Posted via CB10
    06-27-13 11:48 AM

Kill 9. Are you still offering this service? Tried to PM you but would not allow me to. I have questions about hiring it out or just doing myself. Thanks.
    09-13-13 01:41 PM
    Kill 9. Are you still offering this service? Tried to PM you but would not allow me to. I have questions about hiring it out or just doing myself. Thanks.
    Setting this up is a doddle.

Save yourself the cash and just use a/s in Exchange, there's no real need for BES unless security And policies are your thing.

For those looking for hosted BES10, try Epacloud or Cobweb hosted email.

Typed on and then corrected by my Z10. http://geekphreek.com
    10-01-13 12:47 AM
    Contact Exchange My Mail Inc. They offer BES12 for all email platforms (in-house Exchange, hosted Exchange, Office365, Google Apps. etc. Great company, great US based support. 516-484-0077
    dosto likes this.
    02-23-15 09:33 AM
49 12