I know of one financial institution, and another one contemplating this. BlackBerry is supported, but other phones are not. Translation? You get your own phone, we will install email services, but we will not support it if it breaks down, nor will we pay for it.

Is this normal BYOD policy? If so, why would anyone want to pay out of their own pocket for air time and data for work use??

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 07:59 AM
    I know of one financial institution, and another one contemplating this. BlackBerry is supported, but other phones are not. Translation? You get your own phone, we will install email services, but we will not support it if it breaks down, nor will we pay for it.

Is this normal BYOD policy? If so, why would anyone want to pay out of their own pocket for air time and data for work use??

Posted via CB10
    BYOD policies vary greatly. There isn't one policy that governs all. You will find that some are quite lax in their support and others that are very detailed.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    10-19-13 08:06 AM
    In my experience BYOD refers to employees who choose not to use company issued devices.
    10-19-13 08:06 AM
    From what I know, this is somewhat of the norm.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 08:11 AM
    I'd even go as far as some IT groups will state that they have the ability to wipe your phone completely if a virus is detected on your device or on their network.

IT can do this because when you connect to the email/network server, they have access to scan your device for viruses. Not personal information, but viruses.

I advise anyone who is going with BYOD, to read what you are signing.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 08:17 AM
    I'd even go as far as some IT groups will state that they have the ability to wipe your phone completely if a virus is detected on your device or on their network.

IT can do this because when you connect to the email/network server, they have access to scan your device for viruses. Not personal information, but viruses.

I advise anyone who is going with BYOD, to read what you are signing.

Posted via CB10
    I was told that too. You have to sign a waiver agreeing that if you are terminated, the entire device is remotely wiped. Not just email access, everything including pictures, music, docs....everything. So you better backup your device everyday as you never know when you will be downsized.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 08:23 AM
    In my experience BYOD refers to employees who choose not to use company issued devices.
    Unless you have unlimited data and Voice, I don't see the point.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 12:39 PM
    Some people just don't want to use what the company issues. My company issued us Q10 phones, but I still got my own Z10 because that's what I wanted.
    Sith_Apprentice likes this.
    10-19-13 08:03 PM
    Some people just don't want to use what the company issues. My company issued us Q10 phones, but I still got my own Z10 because that's what I wanted.
    Do you pay your own bill? Expense to company? If you break your device, do you have to replace it or will they reimburse you?

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 08:32 PM

Posted via CB10
    Cause for the day time shoppers of ebay and such they can still do it from their phones without work knowing on their data plans, it has never been for the benefit of work. This is why people hate work issued devices as they have to use them for work and play by rules.

Posted via CB10
    10-19-13 09:08 PM