Mmmm, isn't the CPU snapdragon s4?
    Or are we talking gpu?

BBM channels: c00121c99 for some knowledge and c00123fca for some real hip hop
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapd...ystem_on_chip)

It is. But the dual-core version.
    The CPU is definitely, 100% surely no quadcore.

The GPU is an Adreno 320 quadcore.
    But it is already one generation older than what current flagships use.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 02:53 PM
    The average Joe says. Oh it's 2013 and a dual core? What's wrong with this company!? The HTC One has a quad core blah blah

Ok basically you are comparing oranges and bicycles...yes.

You see, the Z30 is not running on Android so comparisons like this are a joke.

BlackBerry 10 is an efficient OS, it does not require an 8 core to run like that other OS. You would never use such specs anyways.

I see it like BlackBerry 10 = Windows XP
    Android = Vista

Yeah, your little low spec PC needed an upgrade, hardware wise, if anyone wanted Vista on their machines.

But the case here is that we have the most efficient OS between the two. We actually should be laughing at Android devices and how they need such amounts of hardware to run properly while we do not.

Next time someone makes fun of your phone for being low spec you make phone of them for having a low inefficient OS.

Marketing is everything
    The "average joe" doesn't even care about such things. The "average joe" just wants a device that enables them to make a phone call. ;-)

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 03:09 PM
    So according to the ' experts ' here BlackBerry will be using the same hardware five years from now because the chip companies aren't going to be making new design chips with specs this low anymore just for BlackBerry. So five years from now BlackBerry will be advertising new phones with the same old hardware . I'm sure people will be lining up for them. Unless BB10 can't run on higher spec hardware, BlackBerry will have to buy it sooner or latter. Not buying it now just looks foolish and incompatant. Saying we are not in the spec race is the same thinking that that got BlackBerry in this mess to begin with. What about that don't the 'experts' get .BB proved that by losing 90% of their market share ,and now apple is proving it again. Their marketing is the only thing they have selling their phones and it could fail anytime.

Posted via Z10
    09-22-13 03:43 PM
    Your whole point collapses due to the fact that BB10 ISN'T in any way "more efficient" than Android.

In fact it is a resource hog that would make any Android resource-hogging handset embarrassed... Proof? BB10 won't run on a phone with less than 2gb RAM (which is why Playbook couldn't run it, I believe?) whereas Android manages just fine with 1 GB RAM or even half a GB.

Also keep in mind that the Qualcomm CPU in the Z30 is an older, slower model, that is leagues behind the newer Snapdragon 800 quad cores.

In 9 out of 10 cases a quad core IS faster than a dual core. Much faster. The amount of power used is neglibly higher, in most cases...
    You've either "cracked" or you're talking out of your ***. Cores don't affect speed. I won't address the rest of your post. At least know what you're talking about if you're going to post with such conviction.

Posted via CB10
    09-22-13 06:35 PM
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snapd...ystem_on_chip)

It is. But the dual-core version.
    The CPU is definitely, 100% surely no quadcore.

The GPU is an Adreno 320 quadcore.
    But it is already one generation older than what current flagships use.

Posted via CB10
    Ahhh ok ok, i see now. It still pretty snappy according to cnet, they are actually looking forward to using the phone more instead of a quick test drive.
    http://m.cnet.com/reviews/blackberry-z30/35827877

09-22-13 06:42 PM
    Also, dual-core doesn't mean very much. The Tegra 3 is less powerful than the dual-core competition.

Posted via CB10
    I was dissapointed with the tegra3, i figured since nvidia makes awesome pc graphics cards why couldn't they excel in mobile hardware? Well tegra3 sucks, a lot of the optimized for tegra3 games are sluggish and choppy. I have a nexus 7 so I know, crappy processor.

09-22-13 06:44 PM
    if it's 170gr then it's too heavy (like nokia 920). being thick and heavy won't sell for sure.
    09-22-13 10:54 PM
    Lots of claims here that BB phones don't need better specs because they are so much more efficient, however the benchmarks and testing tell a different story. Here is just one for example, comparing Galaxy s3 to z10, both have the same processor:

And here's a video where s4 destroys z10 in benchmarks:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the z30 performs against the competition. If I see real evidence that z30 performs better then I will believe it. I am not going to start with the conclusion that z30 or BBOS is better and then look for evidence to support this assertion. Instead I will let the evidence draw the conclusion for me.
    09-24-13 03:22 AM
    I'd just like to know, what OS is this that the OP says NEEDS an 8core CPU?
    Is the OP aware of the reason why the 8core CPU exists or did they just see 8core and simply assume it is now needed for that OS???
    Seems the OP maybe very misinformed.
    09-24-13 03:36 AM
    Lots of claims here that BB phones don't need better specs because they are so much more efficient, however the benchmarks and testing tell a different story. Here is just one for example, comparing Galaxy s3 to z10, both have the same processor:

Anyway, it will be interesting to see how the z30 performs against the competition. If I see real evidence that z30 performs better then I will believe it. I am not going to start with the conclusion that z30 or BBOS is better and then look for evidence to support this assertion. Instead I will let the evidence draw the conclusion for me.
    Using OMAP Z10... fail

Posted via CB10
    09-24-13 03:58 AM

The Z30 seems to be using the same Dual-core Krait 300 CPU and Adreno320 GPU arrangement as the Moto X, if so, the competition such as the Galaxy S4, Htc One, Xperia Z1, LG G2 and iPhone5S will easily destroy the Z30 in every performance aspect in benchmarks.
    09-24-13 04:21 AM
    The average Joe says. Oh it's 2013 and a dual core? What's wrong with this company!? The HTC One has a quad core blah blah

Ok basically you are comparing oranges and bicycles...yes.

You see, the Z30 is not running on Android so comparisons like this are a joke.

BlackBerry 10 is an efficient OS, it does not require an 8 core to run like that other OS. You would never use such specs anyways.

I see it like BlackBerry 10 = Windows XP
    Android = Vista

Yeah, your little low spec PC needed an upgrade, hardware wise, if anyone wanted Vista on their machines.

But the case here is that we have the most efficient OS between the two. We actually should be laughing at Android devices and how they need such amounts of hardware to run properly while we do not.

Next time someone makes fun of your phone for being low spec you make phone of them for having a low inefficient OS.

Marketing is everything
    This is practically what I've been saying all along. +1,000,005

Posted via that z10!
    09-24-13 07:39 AM
    In fairness to BB devices, the browser performs very well, and therefore I would expect z30 to have a good browser. Seen plenty of videos where z10 browser destroys iPhone 5 Safari. For me that is a big deal, for others maybe not. People should use whatever works best for them.
    SharonRD and Jahcure like this.
    09-24-13 03:11 PM
    In fairness to BB devices, the browser performs very well, and therefore I would expect z30 to have a good browser. Seen plenty of videos where z10 browser destroys iPhone 5 Safari. For me that is a big deal, for others maybe not. People should use whatever works best for them.
    Exactly. Your last sentence says it all.

Posted via CB10
    Jahcure likes this.
    09-24-13 05:58 PM
    Your whole point collapses due to the fact that BB10 ISN'T in any way "more efficient" than Android.

In fact it is a resource hog that would make any Android resource-hogging handset embarrassed... Proof? BB10 won't run on a phone with less than 2gb RAM (which is why Playbook couldn't run it, I believe?) whereas Android manages just fine with 1 GB RAM or even half a GB.
    To date, I haven't seen an Android phone or tablet with 4.2 run efficiently without at least 2GB of RAM. The Nexus 4 has 2GB and it runs okay (thought not as quick as the Z10). The Nexus 7 (first gen) only had 1GB RAM and it was sluggish (had one, returned it, lots of people noticed the same issues). The Nexus 7 FHD brought it up to 2GB RAM and essentially same specs as the Nexus 4 and from what I hear it runs okay.

Now maybe it is only the Nexus products that require that much RAM to run decently (I haven't tried all Android phones to know how much RAM they have) but if Google's own products need 2GB of RAM to work decently, that tells you something. You may get it to work on less RAM but the experience will probably be more sluggish... equally potentially to how BB10 would have run on the PB (though we may never know for sure).

Now for sure Gingerbread could get by with less RAM and maybe Ice Cream Sandwich can do with 1GB but we are talking Jelly Bean here (so same release window as BB10).
    09-24-13 06:31 PM
    This is practically what I've been saying all along. +1,000,005

Posted via that z10!
    that's right. We at CrackBerry pay attention to all of what BlackBerry does. We Know the specs, the software and the the hardware that are put into these phones. But sadly, Average Joe users don't care. We can defend all we want about our BlackBerry phones, but trying to convince a regular NON CrackBerry, news fan, is like talking to a Brick stubborn headed wall.

I guess we have to keep trying....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using CB Forums mobile app
    09-25-13 12:07 AM
    Different manufacturers have divergent reputations regarding specs. i.e. Apple does not advertise its specs, usually the contrary; it keeps them a secret. People have no real need to know about the specs or have a significant desire to. This is due to the reputation of Apple delivering working, efficient and reliable software in a pretty shell.

Android devices, at least at the higher end, do tout specs because of the added features manufacturers add to Android by way of their 'skins' i.e TouchWiz and its added and sometimes demanding features. Also because of the open source nature of the software and the myriad of uses different Android customer's put their devices to.

Windows is similar to Apple in many respects; it has a closed system that is tidy and organised, never needing to rely upon specs and instead focusing upon form factor of the device, style, elegance and tightly controlled efficient functionality.

Blackberry do, on the other hand need to concern themselves with specs. This is due to their previous offerings, one of the reasons why people have left them in droves: When Blackberry users remember battery pulls, hourglass waits, resetting after every app install, incredibly long boot-up times and a distinctive lack of 'oomph', when compared with their friend/relative/colleague device, these same customers (the customers that Blackberry needs to attract) have been made aware simply by the fact of their experiences, that specs do matter.

Essentially, Blackberry needed to show that those issues are definitely of the past, that they no longer are possible in BB10 and that they have been generous with their specs to indicate their departure from the bad old days. So its no real use telling people that specs don't matter; they do in Blackberry's case and its of their own making.
    BlackBerry doesn't need specs. It's just needed a better software performance and some marketing. It now has the software but no marketing.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 12:42 AM
    Everyone that thinks the Z30 is low specced should send an email directly to Qualcomm and tell them how low specced the S4 pro chipsets are ... they will reply with a nice LOL.

Posted via CB10
    09-25-13 12:50 AM
    i wish they could make it thinner and lighter. where's the power button? still on the top? better be on the side.
    09-25-13 09:41 PM
    You've either "cracked" or you're talking out of your ***. Cores don't affect speed. I won't address the rest of your post. At least know what you're talking about if you're going to post with such conviction.

Posted via CB10
    Ahhh. I see! You won't address the rest of my post cause you got a nagging feeling I'm right, and you don't have the competence to really discuss technical aspects of hardware, beyond the blustering, factually incorrect embarrassment you opened this thread with.

That's cool... But you know, another time you might want to accept your limitations, instead of starting a thread on a subject you don't really understand

And cores don't affect speed?!?

LOLLLOL!

I'll give you a little hardware lesson completely free!

Of COURSE they affect speed. A quadcore CPU can finish most tasks faster than a dualcore CPU, since it effectively has twice the number of execution units. (The speed advantage pr each doubling of execution units/cores isn't a clean 100% though. It's closer to 90-95%)

Now let me explain with a simple example so you can keep up...

Imagine two Z30's: The dual core model, and an imaginary quadcore. Lets imagine that they're both have the same max clock of 1.5 ghz.

You start the same app on them both, lets say an unzip operation. Do you know which one is done first?

Of course you don't... But if you guessed the quad core, chances are that in most cases you'd be right.

When you started the unzip operation, both phones had the same 16 different threads and processes running in the background (an example).

The dualcore CPU can either only dedicate one core to your unzip operation, while it unloads all the other processes to the other core. Or it can dedicate both cores, but keep switching between the different processes all the time, which will take awhile.

The quadcore CPU can leave all the other tasks to two of the cores, while it dedicates another two cores only to the unzip. Which is why it's done much faster, using less power than the dualcore, under most circumstances.
    09-26-13 07:50 AM
    Everyone that thinks the Z30 is low specced should send an email directly to Qualcomm and tell them how low specced the S4 pro chipsets are ... they will reply with a nice LOL.

Posted via CB10
    Of course the S4 Pro is a fast CPU. Well, it was when it launched last year anyways.

But compared the new S600 and S800 chipsets that launched this year, and that powers HTC One, LG G2 and Samsung Galaxy S4/Note 3 its kind of a dog, unfortunately...

The S800 is over twice as fast as the S4Pro in some tests.
    Qualcomm Snapdragon 800 MDP benchmarks: prepare for ludicrous speed
    09-26-13 07:59 AM

Your proof is a load of BS. BB10 won't run on a phone with less than 2MB or RAM? Then how do you explain these screenshots.
    Attached Thumbnails Z30's hardware and why it's irrelevant.-img_00000052.png   Z30's hardware and why it's irrelevant.-img_00000051.jpg  
    09-26-13 08:06 AM
    The bottom line for me is, will bb10 work faster ,better on better specs? If yes give it the best hardware now. I've already been hearing that Bb10 has low specs because it can't handle better hardware. Obsolete already, bad OS design .Even the old IOS can handle better. There are such things as economy settings to save battery, so that excuse is D.O.A. Giving a small nug in specs with every new phone and saying we are not in a spec war is aragant and nieve with nothing to back up. BlackBerry is in a fight and saying I refuse to fight is the best way of getting the **** kick out of you. And as a customer I'm pissed they refuse to supply me the best phone they can make that I'm paying full price for.

Posted via Z10
    09-26-13 05:21 PM
    To date, I haven't seen an Android phone or tablet with 4.2 run efficiently without at least 2GB of RAM. The Nexus 4 has 2GB and it runs okay (thought not as quick as the Z10). The Nexus 7 (first gen) only had 1GB RAM and it was sluggish (had one, returned it, lots of people noticed the same issues). The Nexus 7 FHD brought it up to 2GB RAM and essentially same specs as the Nexus 4 and from what I hear it runs okay.

Now maybe it is only the Nexus products that require that much RAM to run decently (I haven't tried all Android phones to know how much RAM they have) but if Google's own products need 2GB of RAM to work decently, that tells you something. You may get it to work on less RAM but the experience will probably be more sluggish... equally potentially to how BB10 would have run on the PB (though we may never know for sure).

Now for sure Gingerbread could get by with less RAM and maybe Ice Cream Sandwich can do with 1GB but we are talking Jelly Bean here (so same release window as BB10).
    Samsung Galaxy S2, Galaxy Note 1, Galaxy S3 (I9300), Htc One X, Sony Xperia T etc... Great examples of 1GB RAM phones running Android Jellybean beautifully. Android 4.1.2 Jellybean that is.
    If you want to talk Android 4.2 specifically well there's the Htc One X which recently got updated to 4.2.2, and there's the Galaxy S3 which will get 4.3 soon, it has had leaks of 4.2 test FW though and it ran very well.

Android runs just fine on 1GB RAM and Dual-core, but with the competition so intense, each year the HW takes leaps, far ahead of the SW itself and once again, NO, it does NOT NEED 8cores, do some damn reading before posting utter rubbish, there is a reason why the Octa CPU exists in the GS4 and Note 3 and its not power, 4 of the cores in the Samsung Octa chips are A15 Cortex, they are more than powerful enough to power Android.
    Terser Nori likes this.
    09-28-13 11:45 AM
    Hardware is definitely relevant to make your device future proof... at least, for another 2 years of OS updates... and future apps and games requirements...

And that pricing should be based on its being future proof...

Posted via Z10
    09-28-13 01:11 PM
79 1234