The average Joe says. Oh it's 2013 and a dual core? What's wrong with this company!? The HTC One has a quad core blah blah

Ok basically you are comparing oranges and bicycles...yes.

You see, the Z30 is not running on Android so comparisons like this are a joke.

BlackBerry 10 is an efficient OS, it does not require an 8 core to run like that other OS. You would never use such specs anyways.

I see it like BlackBerry 10 = Windows XP
    Android = Vista

Yeah, your little low spec PC needed an upgrade, hardware wise, if anyone wanted Vista on their machines.

But the case here is that we have the most efficient OS between the two. We actually should be laughing at Android devices and how they need such amounts of hardware to run properly while we do not.

Next time someone makes fun of your phone for being low spec you make phone of them for having a low inefficient OS.

Marketing is everything
    hazarder, xRuhRohx and LeeU1911 like this.
    09-19-13 08:11 AM
    Here's why this thread is irrelevant, Blackberry Playbook.
    samadkins29, kthhrrsn and BB_Ooo like this.
    09-19-13 08:12 AM
    Tremendous amount of people bought iPad Minis last year; it has 1024x768 on a 7" screen!.. 163 ppi!..
    No one says it's irrelevant.. No one complains about it. Serious amount of people are happily using it around me.

On a 5" screen we have a 295 ppi and people are talking like it's 2008's specs.

I actually prefer longer battery life than having a sharper display, 295 ppi is already OK for me. Having a 1080p display with worse battery life - especially with games- would not make me happy.

I'm sure next year Z60 or whatever name will be have 1080 p screen (They will probably tell devs next year that the next generation devices will support 1440x1440 or 2560 x 1440) and move on to that category but by then they will also use quad core CPUs better and efficiently and have even more better hardware.

AMOLED is also great improvement in BB's current lineup, so I tell everyone to care more about other stuff than comparing screen resolutions..
    09-19-13 08:22 AM
    Totally agree, but it is more like Andriod is Vista and BlackBerry is Windows 8, which is a very efficient OS. Ran better than XP on one system I put it on.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 08:31 AM
    I'm sure next year Z60 or whatever name will be have 1080 p screen (They will probably tell devs next year that the next generation devices will support 1440x1440 or 2560 x 1440) and move on to that category but by then they will also use quad core CPUs better and efficiently and have even more better hardware.
    That would be extremely stupid. You don't need anymore than 720 on a screen that is 5 inches or less. 10 inch screens would be a different story.
    rotorwrench likes this.
    09-19-13 08:31 AM
    Just like the PlayBook's hardware is irrelevant, right? And just like the BB10 devices' hardware will be once BB11 (or whatever) drops, right?

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-19-13 08:34 AM
    I think BlackBerry understands it needs to differentiate themselves from the competition. Z30 is a full day 5" screen device.
    09-19-13 08:36 AM
    So, what is relevant, then? Your belief that BB10 is more efficient than the competitors? Do you expect anyone to act on such a nebulous claim? Not when you are charging the same price as devices with better specs.
    09-19-13 08:45 AM
    So, what is relevant, then? Your belief that BB10 is more efficient than the competitors? Do you expect anyone to act on such a nebulous claim? Not when you are charging the same price as devices with better specs.
    And this guy gets it! ^^

No specs no sales. Also camera is sup par as well along with the lack of apps this phone is doa

Posted via CB10
    kthhrrsn likes this.
    09-19-13 08:54 AM
    1st, it's not a nebulous claim. It's a fact and you can test it yourself by grabbing a comparable hardware android device and see who runs more smoothly.

And again, how it's relevant if the competition is running better specs if they have the slower OS. And as reminder, those competition devices are not running BlackBerry 10... so the comparison stays irrelevant. the only things you can argue is quality of camera or more internal memory for example. Performance wise Z30 is perfect for the current OS.

Marketing is everything
    09-19-13 04:56 PM
    Here's why this thread is irrelevant, Blackberry Playbook.
    Not another one of these guys haha

Posted via CB10
    drewread, Coach57 and rotorwrench like this.
    09-19-13 05:42 PM
    Just like the PlayBook's hardware is irrelevant, right? And just like the BB10 devices' hardware will be once BB11 (or whatever) drops, right?

C0001BBF0 - BlackBerry 10 help channel.
    You too? Sheesh people give it a break. The playbook released with a 2011 processor. The RAM isn't the whole story since the dev alpha devices were sporting 1 GB of RAM running BB10 in the first videos we all saw. Sorry your tablet didn't sell enough to remain relevant enough for BlackBerry to put a lighter version of BB10 on there. Besides, a little bird told me that the Z10 and Q10 will see at least 4 additional major OS updates so we can all rest easy. Take this irrelevant nonsense somewhere else.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 05:50 PM
    If BlackBerry had some more of the major apps that iOS and Android users have come to love, I doubt anyone but the really tech savvy would give a sh1t about the specs. If the screen is clear enough and bright enough, no average customer will be able to discern the difference between the Z30's screen and a 1080p one. Just so long as they're able to download Instagram and play Candy Crush or whatever.

For another year, the BlackBerry 10 cameras are on par with the iPhone's in terms of megapixels. Cameras are an important part of smartphones, and I've always thought that BlackBerry should partner with a big name camera company for their cameras, as well as a company like Bose for their speakers.

If it were the BlackBerry Z30 with Canon Camera Technology and Sound by Bose or something with a nice ring to it, AND had the apps... I can't even imagine what a success it would be.
    09-19-13 06:15 PM
    In theory I kind of agree with the OP. But in practice, I think there is one big problem. Most BB10 users will be running BB10 and the Android runtime on top of BB10 in order to have the basic apps they want.

So when you think of it as BB10 plus the Android runtime including Dalvik and all that, then I'm not so sure you can say that whole stack is more efficient than what an HTC One is running in practice.

Isn't the Android runtime essentially all of Android except for Linux?
    Last edited by app_Developer; 09-19-13 at 06:49 PM.
    09-19-13 06:25 PM
    Still a 1080 screen would have been nice

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk 2
    FrankIAm likes this.
    09-19-13 06:28 PM
    I actually have a 10" Win8 RT tab with only 720 resolution and it's fine.

I'm kind of in that place where 1080p would have been nice, but 720 should still be decent and there may be a performance/battery benefit.

From the awesome PHYSICAL keyboard of my Q10
    offyoutoddle and sergey_IL like this.
    09-19-13 06:34 PM

I'm kind of in that place where 1080p would have been nice, but 720 should still be decent and there may be a performance/battery benefit.

^This

CB10'n it.....via my Z
    sergey_IL likes this.
    09-19-13 06:47 PM

And then we take a look at the Windows RT sales, especially the Surface RT, and we see that the market apparently rejected that device.

Why?
    A simple guess would be, that it offered less than the competition.
    (In terms of specs and ecosystem this certainly is true.)

Btw, to compare the Z30 to a product that failed competely, is definitely not flattering for the BlackBerry product.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    09-19-13 06:52 PM
    And then we take a look at the Windows RT sales, especially the Surface RT, and we see that the market apparently rejected that device.

Why?
    A simple guess would be, that it offered less than the competition.
    (In terms of specs and ecosystem this certainly is true.)

Btw, to compare the Z30 to a product that failed competely, is definitely not flattering for the BlackBerry product.

Posted via CB10
    The surface was rejected because it was a tablet trying to act like a computer. What it SHOULD have been is a computer with a tablet mode.

Posted via CB10
    09-19-13 07:00 PM
    This is why MOST tech heads and bloggers don't know squat:

The A7 chip is speced at 1.3Ghz, dual core. Yet tests suggest it out performs quad core chips. Marketing rules , not specs.....time to end the silly back and forth. BB knows what it's doing, they are just VERY poor at telling and showing people that.

Tests show iPhone 5s A7 chip is dual-core, still beats quad-core Android competitors — Tech News and Analysis
    rotorwrench and Jerale Hoard like this.
    09-19-13 07:03 PM
    The surface was rejected because it was a tablet trying to act like a computer. What it SHOULD have been is a computer with a tablet mode.

Posted via CB10
    That's what the Surface Pro is, but it has better specs...
    And a better ecosystem...

My point still stands considering the failing of the Surface RT:
    It didn't offer enough.

The A7 chip is speced at 1.3Ghz, dual core. Yet tests suggest it out performs quad core chips. Marketing rules , not specs.....time to end the silly back and forth. BB knows what it's doing, they are just VERY poor at telling and showing people that.

Tests show iPhone 5s A7 chip is dual-core, still beats quad-core Android competitors � Tech News and Analysis
    Since when does BlackBerry design their own chips like Apple is doing it?
    Did I miss the upgrade to 64 bit on the Z30?

You're also someone who doesn't know enough, but likes to talk.
    No difference to the people you are referring to.

Where I agree, is that BlackBerry is bad at telling the story.
    But what should I think, when a company tells the consumer that they are all in with BB10, but launch the most outdated phone on the market with the 9720 running BBOS?

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    09-19-13 07:09 PM

Tests show iPhone 5s A7 chip is dual-core, still beats quad-core Android competitors — Tech News and Analysis
    But if you remove the iPhones from that comparison, then isn't it true that in general the quad-core phones are outperforming the dual-core phones in that particular comparison?

In that comparison, the A7 and A6 are the only dual-cores that ended up at the top of the chart, right? BlackBerry isn't putting the A7 in the Z30.

And in any case isn't it possible that the reason the A7 and A6 do so well in browsermark is that the test was done with the new mobile Safari? That may be giving them an unfair advantage in that particular benchmark.
    09-19-13 07:20 PM
    Different manufacturers have divergent reputations regarding specs. i.e. Apple does not advertise its specs, usually the contrary; it keeps them a secret. People have no real need to know about the specs or have a significant desire to. This is due to the reputation of Apple delivering working, efficient and reliable software in a pretty shell.

Android devices, at least at the higher end, do tout specs because of the added features manufacturers add to Android by way of their 'skins' i.e TouchWiz and its added and sometimes demanding features. Also because of the open source nature of the software and the myriad of uses different Android customer's put their devices to.

Windows is similar to Apple in many respects; it has a closed system that is tidy and organised, never needing to rely upon specs and instead focusing upon form factor of the device, style, elegance and tightly controlled efficient functionality.

Blackberry do, on the other hand need to concern themselves with specs. This is due to their previous offerings, one of the reasons why people have left them in droves: When Blackberry users remember battery pulls, hourglass waits, resetting after every app install, incredibly long boot-up times and a distinctive lack of 'oomph', when compared with their friend/relative/colleague device, these same customers (the customers that Blackberry needs to attract) have been made aware simply by the fact of their experiences, that specs do matter.

Essentially, Blackberry needed to show that those issues are definitely of the past, that they no longer are possible in BB10 and that they have been generous with their specs to indicate their departure from the bad old days. So its no real use telling people that specs don't matter; they do in Blackberry's case and its of their own making.
    BerryWizard and fanisk like this.
    09-19-13 07:30 PM
    Wow, nice post.

My point IS. Apple knows what they are doing by staying dual and not touting quad core: for them it's about optimization. BB does not need the A7 chip, or a rush to Quad core due to the FACT that they have optimized the hardware and software, and from my use of the device they have.

I was not comparing BB to Apple in terms of developing a chip, i was stating that to call the Z30 DOA based on them not adding amped up specs is missing the real technology story. The big picture here is...The market is telling BB's story vs them doing it themselves like a few of their competitors have done.

Dom't lump me in with fanboy bloggers who jump with glee over every claim they find online........I don't / won't drink the koolaid. Use the device, find out if it works as advertised first..then write the evidence down ....end of story.

As for the BB10 all in claim = bad corp management, no debate there.
    09-19-13 07:48 PM
    Different manufacturers have divergent reputations regarding specs. i.e. Apple does not advertise its specs, usually the contrary; it keeps them a secret. People have no real need to know about the specs or have a significant desire to. This is due to the reputation of Apple delivering working, efficient and reliable software in a pretty shell.

Android devices, at least at the higher end, do tout specs because of the added features manufacturers add to Android by way of their 'skins' i.e TouchWiz and its added and sometimes demanding features. Also because of the open source nature of the software and the myriad of uses different Android customer's put their devices to.

Windows is similar to Apple in many respects; it has a closed system that is tidy and organised, never needing to rely upon specs and instead focusing upon form factor of the device, style, elegance and tightly controlled efficient functionality.

Blackberry do, on the other hand need to concern themselves with specs. This is due to their previous offerings, one of the reasons why people have left them in droves: When Blackberry users remember battery pulls, hourglass waits, resetting after every app install, incredibly long boot-up times and a distinctive lack of 'oomph', when compared with their friend/relative/colleague device, these same customers (the customers that Blackberry needs to attract) have been made aware simply by the fact of their experiences, that specs do matter.

Essentially, Blackberry needed to show that those issues are definitely of the past, that they no longer are possible in BB10 and that they have been generous with their specs to indicate their departure from the bad old days. So its no real use telling people that specs don't matter; they do in Blackberry's case and its of their own making.

As for this last statement: the state that the BB perception/brand is in.....IF BB claimed they had a mini-cold fusion reactor powered device, it would still not matter. And I am sure you are aware of that fact. You are correct, people remember the older devices. The job begins with a stable, fun to use device and a stronger push with marketing and customer relationships.
    It does not help that every spec of good news is followed by bad news, gloom and spin. Specs cannot fix that. No trust, No goodwill and lazy media = bad spiral.

The perception is ruling. Not the device...and neither will SPECS. But, that is just one person's opinion
    09-19-13 07:59 PM
79 123 ...