03-31-14 09:14 PM
48 12
tools
    Hey all.

Longtime iPhone owner here who was intrigued enough by BB10 (owned a Playbook once upon a time) that I decided to get a Z30 for my work phone, now that I've got to keep in touch with clients via cellphone. (Keeping office and personal numbers strictly separate.)

Figured it was a good way to keep up with office email and the like, and I wanted to play with BB10.2.1 with its extended functionality.

Do any of you BB10 veterans have tips for a newbie who is used to iOS?
    Gatmyer, Avenzuno, shivaji and 4 others like this.
    03-25-14 07:51 PM
    Strap in. Gonna be a fun ride .

Posted via CB10
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 07:53 PM
    I think there is a subgroup for yips and tricks for bb10

Posted via CB10
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 08:04 PM
    Your going to love it. Best phone I've ever owned. Get yourself a 16 or 32 GB card and put in. Also I would suggest making sure you have your BlackBerry Protect set up. Enjoy and surf around on CB for lots of neat tips and tricks

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2234 on AT&T
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 08:10 PM
    I would say bedside mode is a good place to start. Swipe down from the top in lock screen view. Easy to quiet notifications and to set your alarm if the analog clock is selected.

Enjoy! Looking forward to hearing your experience.

Posted via CB10
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 08:15 PM
    Easy transition, my be foreign for a week or so.

Use search on the phone, it's extremely powerful. I'm not sure how many people actually use it but it makes finding messages, contacts, emails etc a breeze.

Also you can type various things into search like:

Call contact "calls your contact"

Email contact "composes a new email to your contact"

Twitter hello "posts hello to twitter"

Facebook hello "updates Facebook status"

Probably more I'm not aware of but it's a start.

Posted via CB10
    03-25-14 08:20 PM
    The best tip I received was before I even got my Z10: be patient for about a week while BB10 'learns' your typing habits. Then it will start auto-correcting and suggesting flick-words based on how you usually type. You'll see all of a sudden that your typing will noticeably improve. It also tends to use up battery faster for the first few days, so don't be put off if you're making more frequent trips to the charger than you'd like -- it will settle down (although this is nowhere near as bad with the Z30 as with the Z10).

Good luck, and enjoy the ride. I'll be curious to hear your impressions after some time using this phone compared to your 5s.
    fabio984 and tigerinexile like this.
    03-25-14 08:37 PM
    In hub, if you want to see new messages only, just pinch on the screen on the message list.

If you have any questions or inconveniences with this phone, just ask here. Usually it will be fixed pretty quick.

If your Z30 doesn't come with OS 10.2.1.nnnn, come here and load your phone with the latest leaks.

For an iOS user who is new to BB10, I would say to at least give yourself two weeks to get to learn BB10.

Posted via CB10 with Z30 on 10.2.1.2141
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 09:23 PM
    When typing in any field, swipe left across the whole keyboard to delete a word.
    shai404 and tigerinexile like this.
    03-25-14 09:29 PM
    Be sure to plug your phone in to your computer and back it up! No other phone has such an awesome ability to back up so much! Also, if you enter your password in wrong 10 times your phone gets wiped, so it is nice to be able to restore from back up just in case.

Posted via CB10
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 09:33 PM
    Swipe in the keyboard from up down will take you to symbols.

android player better than android.
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 09:35 PM
    Thanks for the advice, all.

I figure, if I have to carry two phones, it's a darned good excuse to keep a foot in different o/s ecosystems. (Right now have my 5s, an iPad Air, and a Sony Xperia Tablet Z for waterlogged reading.) And I loved the build quality of my Playbook, though I hated that it had so few native apps and didn't run Android apps terribly well.

So now that BB 10.2.1 has solved my app concerns, it's time to return to Blackberry and enjoy all the stuff I liked about my Playbook with none of the headaches from before.

Just have to wait for shopblackberry.com to ship it out...
    03-25-14 10:43 PM
    When typing in any field, swipe left across the whole keyboard to delete a word.
    Love this!!!

Posted via CB10 from my Z30.
    03-25-14 10:54 PM
    Some tips & things that I love about BB10:

- purchase a microHDMI to HDMI cable to connect your device to HD TV's. You can watch movies, videos, surf the net, etc. I impressed a room full of colleagues by running a PowerPoint preso from my Z10!
    - get to know the hub. It's extremely powerful & makes life incredibly easy! There are a ton of hidden tricks, so explore all menus looking for functionality. Tap & hold an email for many options to appear.
    - NFC is awesome if you have someone else with a supporting device
    - the browser is amazing. Just be sure that flash is installed. You'll be able to use the entire web.
    - BlackBerry Link lets you remotely access files on the computer with which it is installed remotely & over the mobile network! Works like a charm and is great when in a bind! Also, can access BlackBerry over wifi network from home PC.
    - BBM Voice has incredibly amazing sound quality. The hype is real in this case. BBM Video is awesome!
    - when your phone is locked, you can preview messages/notifications & jump directly to them by double tapping.

Enjoy!!!

tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 11:08 PM
    yeah. box sync. auto upload from phone, paired with folder syncing with the desktop. very cool instant uploads!

Also, flashlight in quick settings!!

Posted via CB10
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-25-14 11:34 PM
    Love this!!!

Yes and if you swipe with 2 fingers, you delete 2 words. And 3 fingers (if your fingers are small enough) will delete 3 words.

Posted via CB10
    shai404, kthhrrsn and tigerinexile like this.
    03-25-14 11:43 PM
    Yes and if you swipe with 2 fingers, you delete 2 words. And 3 fingers (if your fingers are small enough) will delete 3 words.

Posted via CB10
    Don't think I knee that. Cool!!

03-26-14 09:03 PM
    First tip. Sideload Snap so that you can get any other apps you need from Google Play.

Z10STL100-4/10.2.1.2141
    bluetroll and tigerinexile like this.
    03-26-14 09:16 PM
    Once you get totally used to the BB10 platform, you may find yourself ditching that iPhone 5s and going exclusively to Blackberry....when i first got my Z10, I was actually kind of worried I would "Miss" things that I was used to.....but turns out OTHER devices are "missing" things that BB10 can do....I found myself using Bedside mode on a daily basis thinking it would be a feature I would never use....the iPhone had the mute switch but that didn't really help everything since it would vibrate when notifications came in.......BB10 is the best messaging system of any mobile operating systems and cannot be beaten.....with SNAP, getting apps is a breeze.....I have the HDMI cable and have watched a few HBO shows, a few NetFlix movies and couple programs off the CBS app on my TV....and the thing is...notifications do NOT interrupt the viewing experience.....it doesn't show up when watching videos....no other phone can even come CLOSE to the browsing experience of the BB10 devices...no longer restricted to "mobile" versions of websites....even FaceBook games work!
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-26-14 09:26 PM
    All right. Time to learn how this works.

Currently updating to 10.2.1.2102 OTA.

Z30 for work; coming from an iPhone 5s-twophones.jpg
    nick13b likes this.
    03-27-14 01:23 PM
    Have fun!

Posted via the Android CrackBerry App - Because the native CB10 app sucks so many ways. It is a SHAME!
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-27-14 01:59 PM
    All right, I think I'm getting the hang of it...

Z30 for work; coming from an iPhone 5s-zbeats.jpg
    03-27-14 02:39 PM
    Is the speaker as good as everyone says?
    03-27-14 04:07 PM
    Read patch notes, take a look at the help app, and discover new tricks. Do you know about backspace swipe? Swipe on keyboard to left. Swipe down to switch keyboard keys.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    tigerinexile likes this.
    03-27-14 04:21 PM
    Is the speaker as good as everyone says?
    Yes. One of the best for a smartphone.

Z10STL100-3/10.2.1.2141
    03-27-14 04:21 PM
48 12