I know next to nothing about VPNs and got a little overwelmed when I started reading about them. Please tell me whether there is an easy solution.

I am wanting to connect to my desktop at my office with my Z30 by VPN over wifi. I understand that I can set up a network connection to accept VPNs in Windows and, of course, the Z30 already has a VPN app/software. Can it be done with just the BB and network connection without additional hardware/software/VPN subscriptions?

BTW, I do not have an enterprise server at my office.
    05-06-14 09:57 PM
    You should not be considering the third party VPN services for this - they are no more secure than a simple connection to your office. The third party providers provide little more than a secure connection to their server (not inn your office) and relocation of your apparent IP address to their location. In other words, you may be traveling in Canada from your office in New York but connecting through a VPN service in California, and all the sites or computers to which you connect see you as a California user rather than Canadian or New Yourk. However, the seure part of the connection is only between you and the VPN in California - the Ca to NY hop would still be unencrypted.

OK, you don't have "enterprise serve" but do you have ANY server in your system?

What you need is probably more like a VPN-enabled router at the point of entry to your office LAN, or maybe a VPN "server" on your office network or even within your desktop machine. The choice would probably depend on the size of organization and who controls what within your office. If you're a 1-man office where you make the decisions, and you have authority over the connection between your desktop and the outside world I would suggest a compatible VPN aware router where it goes into the public network. If you don't control everything you might be forced to consider a software (private server) solution at your desktop.
    05-07-14 02:34 PM