A message to people who don't think specs sell your phone,

Why do you need to rethink your position?

Since the first release of iphones and android phones, we haven't seen many OS updates OR upgrades for iOS and android OS. However, phone hardware is getting better every year. In fact, every new iphone or android phone is slightly better than the old ones in term of hardware while iOS or android OS doesn't get any major update or upgrade in the same period. During these periods, all apps and games for iOS and android OS have been written to take the advantage of improved phone hardware. New phone hardware allows you to do things with your phone that you couldn't do before.

while you maybe right about andriods you are wrong with IOS every new Iphone has had a new version of IOS ship with it ios 4 came out with iphone 4 ios 5 came with the iphone 4s ios 6 came with the iphone 5 and ios 7 is comming with the new iphone while of course the older gens are still updated to the new os if they are capable but yeah most the very first andriod phones werent upgradable to the new versions of andriod anyway i remember the xperia 10 being stuck on andriod 1.5 none upgradeable to 2.0
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-19-13 11:29 AM
    This is what I hate about Android, how the devices are upgraded to the newer OS's. It's the most fragmented Mobile OS in the industry and suffers from performance issues. Never leave it up to carriers IMO.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-19-13 11:54 AM
    This is what I hate about Android, how the devices are upgraded to the newer OS's. It's the most fragmented Mobile OS in the industry and suffers from performance issues. Never leave it up to carriers IMO.
    Nexus devices ftw
    07-19-13 12:48 PM
    Well said.

Another thing to consider, and I don't know the answer: Don't Samsung, Nokia, Apple, etc all draw from the same hardware sources when it comes to components to make their phones? Didn't HTC One get delayed because of a shortage of some of the components?
    Apple bought its CPU maker years ago, they onl rely on others for commodity parts eg flash memory, display etc where they can leverage competition and manufacturing services, for the same reason.

BlackBerry isn't in a position to demand the latest and greatest, they surely have to stand at the back of the line. I think that's part of the reason why they go for a step below the latest in the newer line of BB10 phones. Not to mention that given their market share, I just assume that they don't enjoy volume discounts like Apple or Samsung based on volume orders and therefore pay a higher price for these components. Probably Nokia does as well in fact...
    Nonsense. All HW is available for everyone, there is ample supply of everything, there's no "line" to stand in.

And finally, I think BlackBerry phones are just manufactured in Canada, Mexico and Hungary. I'm not well read on the subject, but I'm curious to know how factory wages in these areas compare to China and other parts of Asia? Are they on par? If not, that's another additional cost.
    You're probably confusing OEMs' plants with BB mfr notes... Hon Hai/Foxconn/etc are OEM/EMS giants, practically they make EVERYTHING FOR EVERYBODY, all brands. They have plants in many places, according to the best location for each market. I'm pretty sure BB.s OEM partner (sounds like Foxconn, based on aforementioned locations) won't try t supply India from Hungary...
    I was born and raised in Hungary, left long time ago but still have family there so I can assure you Hungary is the perfect place to supply Europe: well-trained, educated but cheap work force (not Chinese level but far from US or Western-European wages), excellent geographical location (literally the center of Europe), decent infrastructure, huge tax breaks for multis etc etc - not surprisingly Foxconn (and others) have a big operation there, along with a lot of engineering R&D centers (Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson, GE etc.)

Mexico picked up the same business position when big business moved mfring out of US, thanks to our scumbag GOP-led Congress during the Bush years which practically rewarded moving jobs overseas with extra tax breaks...

I know, all things the average consumer won't think about, but something that BlackBerry would need to consider.
    Yes but they are still not deciding factors, it is BB & TH who decided to go el cheapo on the hardware, nobody else. Stupid, stupid decision, unless they have some ace SW feature in it A10 will tarnish BB's reputation even more, I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost TH his job by the next year...
    07-20-13 02:12 PM
    If you're suggesting Foxconn makes BLackBerrys components, there will be a few exploding heads around here.
    07-20-13 05:34 PM
    If you're suggesting Foxconn makes BLackBerrys components, there will be a few exploding heads around here.
    I just laughed when I read that, blackberrys used the same manufacturers in Canada and Mexico for the past 12 years lol. pS: its not Foxconn
    07-20-13 08:47 PM
    You know what I find amusing? The A10 gets WAAAY more heat on Crackberry than it does on Engadget!

BlackBerry A10 specs reportedly leak, hint at big battery and Verizon model

Purported BlackBerry A10 'Aristo' briefly flaunted in video leak

Smells like a bad batch of crackberries to me.

The underlying consensus is well-known. The price of the A10 will make or break this device. I pray Blackberry swallows it's pride a little bit here.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-20-13 10:16 PM
    You know what I find amusing? The A10 gets WAAAY more heat on Crackberry than it does on Engadget
    Crackberry has a lot more to lose, that's why.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    07-20-13 10:24 PM
    I'm getting one when it's released in Canada.

From Zed to U via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-20-13 10:31 PM
    Nonsense. All HW is available for everyone, there is ample supply of everything, there's no "line" to stand in.
    I suggest you read up on what happened to Palm and HP.
    07-20-13 10:48 PM
    They've got me sold on it. This will replace my iphone 4S!
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-20-13 11:22 PM
    I'm getting one when it's released in Canada.

From Zed to U via CB10
    They may release only to emerging markets.
    07-21-13 03:19 AM
    I just laughed when I read that, blackberrys used the same manufacturers in Canada and Mexico for the past 12 years lol. pS: its not Foxconn
    Apple products help Hon Hai reach $1.2B in Q4 profit | Electronista

Oh dear. Seems Foxconn does work for Blackberry after all. Exploding head time, boys.
    07-21-13 03:24 AM
    The OP made many very reasonable points, but did not draw attention to the elephant in the room. Price. Blackberry always tries to charge top dollar for mid tier specs. That is not a successful sales strategy.

Another poster here was talking about people whining that they could not have a 300 dollar pair of jeans and being unhappy with the 100 dollar jeans. I am not sure that is the correct analogy. To run with that analogy, how many people want to pay 300 dollars for a 100 dollar pair of jeans?

The price of the Z10 has headed south quicker than expected. In the UK I can get one for just over �300 unlocked (about 450 dollars). That is starting to look like good value for money, especially when 10.2 arrives. The A10 has to compete against the whole market and also the cheaper Z10. With similar specs and both on 10.2, if the price is much higher than the Z10 then that is a hard sell.
    07-21-13 04:17 AM
    The OP made many very reasonable points, but did not draw attention to the elephant in the room. Price. Blackberry always tries to charge top dollar for mid tier specs. That is not a successful sales strategy.

Another poster here was talking about people whining that they could not have a 300 dollar pair of jeans and being unhappy with the 100 dollar jeans. I am not sure that is the correct analogy. To run with that analogy, how many people want to pay 300 dollars for a 100 dollar pair of jeans?

The price of the Z10 has headed south quicker than expected. In the UK I can get one for just over �300 unlocked (about 450 dollars). That is starting to look like good value for money, especially when 10.2 arrives. The A10 has to compete against the whole market and also the cheaper Z10. With similar specs and both on 10.2, if the price is much higher than the Z10 then that is a hard sell.
    The z10 is as low as �225 and the q10 �280 on gumtree.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    07-21-13 04:48 AM

I said that as long as it is priced reasonably (meaning a little bit less than android flagships) it will sell. Price will make or break the phone
    07-21-13 10:36 AM
    Apple products help Hon Hai reach $1.2B in Q4 profit | Electronista

Oh dear. Seems Foxconn does work for Blackberry after all. Exploding head time, boys.
    Thorstien h said they aren't himself.

lackBerrys, the mobile devices favored by government agencies worldwide, are not manufactured in China because that would compromise their much-vaunted security advantage, according to the CEO of Research in Motion (RIM), which makes them.

?Very frankly, that is why we are not building or manufacturing in China, as many of our competitors do, to really protect our [software] code and make sure the [intellectual property] of RIM is protected,? said Thorsten Heins, president and CEO of RIM at the company?s annual shareholder meeting in Waterloo, Ontario.

His comments Tuesday are the latest to highlight growing concern in the United States and elsewhere about the security of the globalized electronics supply chain, and especially about possible back doors or Trojan horses in Chinese-made mobile phones or
    telecommunications components.

http://m.washingtontimes.com/news/20...urity-reasons/

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:39 AM

The a10 isn't a z10 replacement, and doesn't need specs it won't even benefit from. I agree price is important, but they can't price it to low, look at Nokia giving there phones away without making a profit all, hardware is BlackBerrys only revenue source.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:42 AM
    Everyone waiting for an A10 you should really try a Z10 if you haven't already. I know that the Z10's size is about the max I could use with the BB10 gestures. Plus with the Z10 Your probably going to get a higher ppi screen. Just something to think about depending on the size of your hands.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 10:47 AM
    Everyone waiting for an A10 you should really try a Z10 if you haven't already. I know that the Z10's size is about the max I could use with the BB10 gestures. Plus with the Z10 Your probably going to get a higher ppi screen. Just something to think about depending on the size of your hands.

Posted via CB10
    The Z10 crowd will buy a Z10. The A10 crowd will buy an A10. This is also assuming the person doesn't have Sprint.

I've got Sprint, and ironically, my next phone will probably be the HTC One. Funny how that works out, isn't it? As far as waiting, I've done that longer than most.
    07-21-13 10:51 AM
    Apple bought its CPU maker years ago, they onl rely on others for commodity parts eg flash memory, display etc where they can leverage competition and manufacturing services, for the same reason.

You're probably confusing OEMs' plants with BB mfr notes... Hon Hai/Foxconn/etc are OEM/EMS giants, practically they make EVERYTHING FOR EVERYBODY, all brands. They have plants in many places, according to the best location for each market. I'm pretty sure BB.s OEM partner (sounds like Foxconn, based on aforementioned locations) won't try t supply India from Hungary...
    I was born and raised in Hungary, left long time ago but still have family there so I can assure you Hungary is the perfect place to supply Europe: well-trained, educated but cheap work force (not Chinese level but far from US or Western-European wages), excellent geographical location (literally the center of Europe), decent infrastructure, huge tax breaks for multis etc etc - not surprisingly Foxconn (and others) have a big operation there, along with a lot of engineering R&D centers (Nokia, Siemens, Ericsson, GE etc.)

Mexico picked up the same business position when big business moved mfring out of US, thanks to our scumbag GOP-led Congress during the Bush years which practically rewarded moving jobs overseas with extra tax breaks...

Yes but they are still not deciding factors, it is BB & TH who decided to go el cheapo on the hardware, nobody else. Stupid, stupid decision, unless they have some ace SW feature in it A10 will tarnish BB's reputation even more, I wouldn't be surprised if it would cost TH his job by the next year...
    Sorry for quoting your whole post, but thanks for the info!

Don't completely agree but appreciate the insight!
    07-21-13 04:40 PM
    Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 07:05 PM

lackBerrys, the mobile devices favored by government agencies worldwide, are not manufactured in China because that would compromise their much-vaunted security advantage, according to the CEO of Research in Motion (RIM), which makes them.

?Very frankly, that is why we are not building or manufacturing in China, as many of our competitors do, to really protect our [software] code and make sure the [intellectual property] of RIM is protected,? said Thorsten Heins, president and CEO of RIM at the company?s annual shareholder meeting in Waterloo, Ontario.

His comments Tuesday are the latest to highlight growing concern in the United States and elsewhere about the security of the globalized electronics supply chain, and especially about possible back doors or Trojan horses in Chinese-made mobile phones or

Posted via CB10
    Stop moving the goal post - noone said China, we said OEMs like Foxconn make EVERYTHING including BB devices.
    You displayed some loudmouthed disbelief then you got served, right back..

...so you either cannot even read - I specifically mentioned Hungary, Mexico as classic international OEM operational centers for Europe and US, respectively - or you just cannot admit when you were dead wrong... take your pick.

Sent from my LT30p using CB Forums mobile app
    07-21-13 07:30 PM
    A Ducati has a smaller engine than a Semi-Trailer... I know which one goes faster though...

My Tech-Fleet: Q10; Z10; PlayBook; Surface Pro; Xbox 360; HP TouchPad; iPod Touch 5
    07-21-13 09:25 PM

Posted via CB10
    Well that and because they're manufactured in Mexico, they have no tariffs as per NAFTA.

Posted via CB10
    07-21-13 09:40 PM
167 ... 34567