I agree with you that Apple is the goal, that's why I said "(yet)", maybe I shouldn't have used ().
    I also agree that BB10 is comparable, even better than iOS. But people won't see that unless they are using it.
    BlackBerry might closely resemble Apple more than the others, but the perception on the street is not that way.
    BlackBerry needs to put out a phone that grabs attention. Once people are using and see how good it is, they will be able to leave the specs race.

Posted via CB10
    That's what I'm saying, and specs won't grab attention, when your dealing with companies that can release a version with better specs months after release, because they own most of those parts. BlackBerry pays for every single part used on the bb10 devices, which is why they are aiming for the experience rave with Apple over a spec rave with android.

BlackBerry needs better marketing for everything period though.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING likes this.
    07-17-13 04:19 PM
    You can use them iPhone because apple builds it's own os which allows them to optimize the os to run smoother, they same thing BlackBerry is doing with bb10.

Microsoft is adding support in a few months and as I stated won't release quadcore or 1080p phones till next year. Nokia $299 dollar phone with camera still has z10 like specs some would say worse.

1000's of oems choose to use the free os and not build there own, therefor they can barley optimize the os, and being components/parts manufacturer only have specs to compete with. This don't make quadcore and 1080p aren't standard no matter how you try to flip it or justify it.

The z10 runs smoother then the HTC one and gs4 that verse just released, the a10 with a quad core gpu Wil out perform those devices.

Samsung is the world's biggest components manufacturer, 80% of what goes in there phones they make themselves, along with many other Android manufacturers. Apple, Microsoft, and BlackBerry don't have that luxury, so they compete on a os level.
    If bb10 runs better on dual cpu with quad core gpu then most if not all androids on quadcore, 8 core whatever.

Then what's the point in wasting money on pointless specs? As I stated BlackBerry doesn't have money to waste, or the luxury of building parts like Samsung.

There's more to smartphones then specs, most android only users can't understand that.

Posted via CB10
    You're right in what you say, but that's not what the average consumer cares about. It's not enough to get people to buy the phones when they perceive other phones to be better.
    If BlackBerry wants to regain marketshare they need to spend more money to get people excited about and using it. In the long term they won't need to use the highest specs, but for now, they do.
    ...And better marketing will go a long way.

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 04:23 PM
    I agree with you that Apple is the goal, that's why I said "(yet)", maybe I shouldn't have used ().
    I also agree that BB10 is comparable, even better than iOS. But people won't see that unless they are using it.
    BlackBerry might closely resemble Apple more than the others, but the perception on the street is not that way.
    BlackBerry needs to put out a phone that grabs attention. Once people are using and see how good it is, they will be able to leave the specs race.

Posted via CB10
    This, I agree with. I just believe that the attention will come from the OS experience. I think that's where we differ, and thats OK.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-17-13 04:29 PM
    Stop telling lies. If bb10 could run on 1gb than the pb and the dev alphas would be supported. Earlier versions of bb10 were tested on dev alphas and playbooks, but 2gb is the minimum needed to run bb10.

Only just released it's first minor update? So the upgrades pbos1 >2 >2.1 then changing to >bb10 >10.1 never happened? Uh.. bb10 was supposed to be the second major upgrade for the playbook, and it was not delivered. 1gb is not the minimum, 1gb is unsupported. The bare minimum required for bb10 is 2gb ram. 7 major upgrades from apple? And most of their old devices are still supported on the latest software!

"2gb is sufficient right now.", isn't that what they said about 1gb playbooks?
    Hurting over my playbook? Nah, I just don't like being lied to repeatedly then expected to believe /trust them, when their actions show that they have learned /changed nothing and they actually plan to release devices with short lifespans to force people to upgrade. 16gb internal storage for example, 8mp camera and 2gb of ram.. the z limped out of the gate with those specs 10 months earlier.

16gb isn't enough right now, what makes you think it will be enough come Christmas? I don't have any problems with the 8mp camera. But I do run low on ram and have run out of space on the phone because of apps. Aka, I had to stop buying app as because I had no more spacd!
    Most older iphones are still able to be updated to the current os because very little has changed between the os's. Each update only brings minor changes to the iPhone. IOS7 is the only true major update and overhaul to the iPhone, which is why I believe that only people with iPhone 4 will get the ios7 update, since it does require somewhat of a newer device.

This is exactly why bb10 can't work on a playbook. Bb10 is a complete overhaul of blackberry and just won't work with the specs of the past. Thor made a bit of a premature promise, but don't blame him for bb10 not being able to work on a playbook, the company tried ti make it happen but it just wasn't possible. So before you go accusing and comparing, get your facts straight.

My z10 is a Leafs fan
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-17-13 04:56 PM
    You're right in what you say, but that's not what the average consumer cares about. It's not enough to get people to buy the phones when they perceive other phones to be better.
    If BlackBerry wants to regain marketshare they need to spend more money to get people excited about and using it. In the long term they won't need to use the highest specs, but for now, they do.
    ...And better marketing will go a long way.

Posted via CB10
    Your right marketing is key, Apple has known this, Samsung learned and even Microsoft in some aspects. BlackBerry still needs to learn to market aggressively.

If so many average consumers by the iPhone over so many other devices then that goes to show specs don't matter.

BlackBerry's main problem is with marketing and there trying to sell hardware in it.

Apples markets selling a lifestyle experience with there products, and most people don't even think of the hardware.

If apple, & Microsoft can sell phones without spending money on wasted hardware BlackBerry can to. They just have to approach it properly. I already stated why they can't win a spec war and would probably go bankrupt trying.

They can however win with a experience war, by showing a superior os experience on bb10 (10.2) to other os's.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING likes this.
    07-17-13 05:43 PM
    Honestly, I'm having trouble seeing the point in complaining about the spec on the A10.

If you think the spec is a bad idea, so be it. You're entitled to your opinion. To be honest, I'm underwhelmed myself, but I'm not paid to spec devices out for BB. You can predict doom all you want, but that doesn't mean you'll be right. The A10 isn't going to hurt BB--this still represents better hardware than BB is typically known for.

At this point there's nothing else to do and not much to say.
    SDTRMG and wincyUt like this.
    07-17-13 06:51 PM
    They need to be reasonable with the pricing. I hope they learn sooner rather than later
    07-17-13 07:37 PM
    This, I agree with. I just believe that the attention will come from the OS experience. I think that's where we differ, and thats OK.
    We already saw how bad BlackBerry is doing just on their OS and that was right after release. If anything that would of grabbed people's attention, seeing something completely new. But no, none of that happened. I do get it cost BlackBerry extra money to get extra part but since the OS didn't grab people's attention try specs out. The only phones that will be close spec wise would be android which will surpass it but the second best in specs is better then last. Customers will see that and maybe jump back on the BlackBerry wagon

Posted via CB10
    07-17-13 08:21 PM
    We already saw how bad BlackBerry is doing just on their OS and that was right after release. If anything that would of grabbed people's attention, seeing something completely new. But no, none of that happened. I do get it cost BlackBerry extra money to get extra part but since the OS didn't grab people's attention try specs out. The only phones that will be close spec wise would be android which will surpass it but the second best in specs is better then last. Customers will see that and maybe jump back on the BlackBerry wagon

Posted via CB10
    Refer to the first post in this thread, toward the bottom. I addressed this
    07-17-13 08:39 PM
    They need to be reasonable with the pricing. I hope they learn sooner rather than later
    We're talking about the same BlackBerry here right? The same BlackBerry that just two days ago released their Q5 to emerging markets at the equivalent of $450.00??
    07-17-13 09:23 PM
    That's what I'm saying, and specs won't grab attention, when your dealing with companies that can release a version with better specs months after release, because they own most of those parts. BlackBerry pays for every single part used on the bb10 devices, which is why they are aiming for the experience rave with Apple over a spec rave with android.

Posted via CB10
    Exactly! It isn't all about specs most Android fans dwell on that but if it was all about raw specs, Apple would be in last place (and we clearly know that's not the case). To the average consumer it's about looks, how the phone looks and works for them, the apps, and as the person who wrote this post I'm quoting said, MARKETING. You beat potental customers over the head with smart, creative ads and at least have the phone appear to back the claims in the ads and the sky is the limit. Apple's display isn't even 720 hd but to the average consumer "retina display" is the cream of the crop and phones with 1080p aren't as good because they don't care for specs and that was what was advertised. Apple contiues to have lines around the corner every year even with the oldest os now because they do what works for them. Andriod has to fight the specs war to only survive completion amongst it's own manufactures. That works for them. BlackBerry needs to do what works for them.

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG and sidhuk like this.
    07-17-13 09:52 PM
    A10 will be sold without a doubt but for how many units? It's a billion dollar question.

If specs don't sell phones, please answer my questions

1-Have you seen a phone company release 2 new phones with identical hardware configuration?
    2-Would you pay 600 dollars to replace an old phone with a new one when both of them have the same phone hardware configuration while one has OS 6.1 and another has OS 6.1.2 or 6.2 or 7.0?

Buying a phone is like buying a computer. When you spend 2000 dollars to buy a Dell computer, you don't spend this amount for MS windows 8 pro. Windows 8 pro OEM only costs 130 dollars. The more money you spend for a computer or a phone, the better your phone or computer is.
    07-17-13 11:36 PM
    Who says that Blackberry is miserly with the specs. Isn't the A10 the tallest and widest 5 inch smartphone ?
    07-17-13 11:42 PM
    Who says that Blackberry is miserly with the specs. Isn't the A10 the tallest and widest 5 inch smartphone ?
    What is inside it counts
    07-17-13 11:55 PM
    We're talking about the same BlackBerry here right? The same BlackBerry that just two days ago released their Q5 to emerging markets at the equivalent of $450.00??
    $700 A10 here we come
    07-18-13 01:16 AM
    $700 A10 here we come
    BB need to learn a lesson about not repackaging their new phones with cosmetic changes and asking consumers to pay top dollar for them.

I'd tell BB sales representatives to get lost if their 700 dollar A10 had the following specs: 5" screen (no HD), a slightly bigger battery, and a quadcore GPU. I consider these specs cosmetic changes .No freaking way. Not in my widest dream.
    07-18-13 05:03 AM
    The UI needs to grab the buyers attention, and be priced slightly below the competition. Because the specs on my Q10 are below the S4 yet my phone is equally as fast or faster..

Posted via CB10
    07-18-13 08:43 AM
    BB need to learn a lesson about not repackaging their new phones with cosmetic changes and asking consumers to pay top dollar for them.

I'd tell BB sales representatives to get lost if their 700 dollar A10 had the following specs: 5" screen (no HD), a slightly bigger battery, and a quadcore GPU. I consider these specs cosmetic changes .No freaking way. Not in my widest dream.
    You're really trying to make yourself heard here. This post, along with others, are copied and pasted from at least one other thread.

Anyways, I could see your point if the A10 was a Z series, but it's not. It's meant for a different crowd and NOT meant to replace the Z10, and Q10 as THE new Blackberry flagship. The A10 is meant to give those who want a larger screen, the same new BB10 experience as the Q10 and the Z10 did when they were released. They don't want to leave anybody stranded here. If you want better specs than your Z10, you'll have to wait until next year for the Z10 replacement.

So yes, in a way the A10 IS only a cosmetic change, but as you already know Blackberry is using a different GPU so it's not entirely cosmetic. Now here's my counter argument. If you're not happy with the A10 specs, that's alright. The phone wasn't meant for you. A Blackberry rep would probably tell you something very similar.
    07-18-13 08:47 AM
    If it is not meant to be the flagship then it should not be priced alongside 5 inch flagship devices. If they do, then smh. We don't know if the quad core gpu will be put to use. If it performs the same and only benefits in games then not much use for me. The hitching and stuttering in some apps seem to be more of a cpu issue.
    07-18-13 09:51 AM
    You're really trying to make yourself heard here. This post, along with others, are copied and pasted from at least one other thread.

Anyways, I could see your point if the A10 was a Z series, but it's not. It's meant for a different crowd and NOT meant to replace the Z10, and Q10 as THE new Blackberry flagship. The A10 is meant to give those who want a larger screen, the same new BB10 experience as the Q10 and the Z10 did when they were released. They don't want to leave anybody stranded here. If you want better specs than your Z10, you'll have to wait until next year for the Z10 replacement.

So yes, in a way the A10 IS only a cosmetic change, but as you already know Blackberry is using a different GPU so it's not entirely cosmetic. Now here's my counter argument. If you're not happy with the A10 specs, that's alright. The phone wasn't meant for you. A Blackberry rep would probably tell you something very similar.
    A10 is pretty much a 5" Z10. Throwing a quadcore GPU in A10 makes it stand out a little bit, heh? I promise I won't aggravate BB sales representatives at BB shops when BB launch A10.
    LWKING likes this.
    07-18-13 10:17 AM
    I know there are a ton of threads buzzing around the A10 right now, but I felt that this one was a little more unique than the others. I also apologize for the length

I'm going to try to make this as concise and accurate as possible. If you notice any mistakes, please let me know. I'll address the most obvious issues first.

Specs: Performance Based Review

Processor: Dual Core S4 Pro CPU at 1.7 GHz with Quad core GPU
    1. The S4 Pro may appear lackluster at first, but I believe that this setup will make the A10 perform better than just about every Android phone out right now.
    Says who? The "common wisdom" of CB? You really need to pick up a modern, quad-core Android and see how it performs when it does not have apps like BB10 - the problems start when you have 100-200 apps loaded and they all try to run their background services...

...things BB109 do not even offer: background apps and apps, in general.

You have to remember that BB10 isn't Android.
    Oh trust me, we all know that very well - one visit to the app store will make it painfully obvious, not to mention when you try to run Android apps...

The ONLY real processor upgrade over the S4 pro is the 800 and that's only because of the higher clock speed.. All of the other quad core snapdragons are either on par or worse than the S4 Pro for the A10. There are options other than Qualcomm here, but I don't know enough to comment on them.
    Since when does it hold you back from commenting...? See your comments above, they are still there...

2. The current iPhone 5

(...)

Thoughts?
    Stopped reading it right there - any mentioning of Apple in a BB-related context triggers an immediate quit on my part because I got to the point when I am not willing to engage in a discussion about BlackBerry if someone even remotely considers Apple to be relevant to the topic, sorry.
    07-18-13 11:06 AM
    A10 is pretty much a 5" Z10. Throwing a quadcore GPU in A10 makes it stand out a little bit, heh? I promise I won't aggravate BB sales representatives at BB shops when BB launch A10.
    And how about Apple and Samsung playing the spec game. Why is it when BlackBerry attempts to polish the specs a little, they get hammered by the media.

iPhone 3
    320 x 480 pixels, 3.5 inches (~165 ppi pixel density)
    128MB Ram
    2MP
    CPU - 412 MHz ARM 11
    iPhone 4
    640 x 960 pixels, 3.5 inches (~330 ppi pixel density)
    512MB Ram
    5MP Camera
    CPU - 1 GHz Cortex-A8
    iPhone 5
    640 x 1136 pixels, 4.0 inches (~326 ppi pixel density)
    1GB Ram
    8 MP
    CPU - Dual-core 1.3 GHz
    --------------
    Z10
    768 x 1280 pixels, 4.2 inches (~355 ppi pixel density)
    2 GB RAM
    8 MP
    CPU - Dual-core 1.5 GHz Krait
    Adreno 225 Graphics
    BlackBerry A10 Rumoured Specs
    5″ OLED, HD/WXGA, 1280�720, 24-bit color, S-Stripe Pixel Arrangement, 295ppi
    2GB Ram
    8MP
    CPU - Dual-core 1.7 GHz Krait
    Quad-Core GPU
    -----
    Take into consideration, the original and older leaked spec sheet regarding the Aristo was based on a Quad-Core 1.5GHz CPU. That looks like the only difference between this new leaked info versus the older. Personally I think BlackBerry through this out just to get forum and market reaction. I think the final product will be difference. See below.

A10 what I think:
    5″ OLED, HD/WXGA, 1280�768, 24-bit color, S-Stripe Pixel Arrangement, 355ppi
    2GB Ram
    13MP
    CPU - Dual-core 1.9 GHz Krait
    Quad-Core GPU
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-18-13 11:41 AM
    @ szlevi

Says YouTube and says how inefficient Android is. Android doesn't make use of multi-core processors efficiently enough. Though one day it may but until then a Quad-Core CPU on an Android based device is a power hogging battery drain with no performance benefit.
    SDTRMG likes this.
    07-18-13 11:43 AM

Posted via CB10
    The need better marketing, better customer service, better ecosystem, and rebuild the name BlackBerry from all the negativity associated with it today before they can even think about pricing like Apple, or even Samsung!
    07-18-13 11:50 AM
    MARKETING please??!!!!!
    07-18-13 11:56 AM
167 12345 ...