Until today, we've had no problems with wifi on our Z30. But we went to gramma's house and her old router was set to WPA, not WPA2. When we tried to connect the Z30 to her wifi, the Z30 set it to WPA2 and it wouldn't connect.

I went into the router settings and changed it to WPA2 - and I left everything else the same. The Z30 connected right away. Now it's working just fine.

I know this is an older model router - D-Link has it listed as a discontinued model.

Funny thing is: my Z10 connected right away on WPA. The wifi settings on the Z10 show "WPA/WPA2". But on the Z30, the wifi settings only show WPA2.

So for people using older routers with the Z30, if the router is set to WPA, you'll need to adjust the settings to WPA2.

But I'm left wondering, why did they provide WPA support on the Z10 but not on the Z30. Us tech savvy folk need to remember that most people don't know how to adjust these settings. And quite often, you might not be able to access the router for a variety of reasons. I can't believe BlackBerry saved anything significant by not providing support for WPA on the Z30.
    11-10-13 10:53 AM
    Nice (sort of ) find Patrick!
    What OS is the Z30 on? Official, or leak? I get the feeling it's just a temp bug.
    Is the router on the latest firmware available?
    11-10-13 02:00 PM
    Hey Master Canuck Voip,

Thx for your comments. I hadn't checked the firmware, in spite of the number of times I've advised others to do so... LOL

The DI-524 router's latest firmware version per the D-Link support webpage is 3.23, and that is indeed what we have here.

The Z30 is on OS 10.2.0.210, official from Telus.
    11-10-13 02:37 PM
    Hey Master Canuck Voip,

Thx for your comments. I hadn't checked the firmware, in spite of the number of times I've advised others to do so... LOL

The DI-524 router's latest firmware version per the D-Link support webpage is 3.23, and that is indeed what we have here.

The Z30 is on OS 10.2.0.210, official from Telus.
    Ooohh... I'd be ever so tempted to throw a newer leak on that Z30. That being said, first I'd be all over BB support to see if they've heard of the problem and if nothing else, just to report it. They can't fix stuff they don't know is busted...
    :>)
    11-10-13 04:44 PM
    Or they could take a few minutes to scroll thru these forums.
    11-10-13 07:10 PM
    Or they could take a few minutes to scroll thru these forums.
    Ha!
    Could be... At work I've taken to telling manufacturers what's up. They don't ask how it's going as often as they used to...
    11-10-13 07:55 PM
    I don't think the issue here was ever the phone. Those old dlink routers were garbage I had a di-624 and it was weak.

Posted via CB10
    11-10-13 09:26 PM
    I don't think the issue here was ever the phone. Those old dlink routers were garbage I had a di-624 and it was weak.
    Posted via CB10
    Yes, my 614 went snaky too. I now have a DIR 826L and the signal is way stronger, and DLNA streaming to my WDTV is much better!
    11-10-13 10:14 PM
    I'm sorry but I beg to differ. My Z10 had no problem connecting to the router when it was set on WPA. But the Z30 would only connect if I set the router to WPA2.

On the Z10, in the advanced wifi settings, it showed that the security settings applied to WPA and WPA2. But on the Z30, the same settings screen shows only WPA2.

And you can call the old D-Link routers garbage, but today, I had a sweet BBM video chat with my daughter over Wifi using this 8 year old router and it worked just fine.
    Last edited by PatrickMJS; 11-10-13 at 10:58 PM. Reason: add the last paragraph about the video chat
    11-10-13 10:55 PM
    I'm sorry but I beg to differ. My Z10 had no problem connecting to the router when it was set on WPA. But the Z30 would only connect if I set the router to WPA2.

On the Z10, in the advanced wifi settings, it showed that the security settings applied to WPA and WPA2. But on the Z30, the same settings screen shows only WPA2.

And you can call the old D-Link routers garbage, but today, I had a sweet BBM video chat with my daughter over Wifi using this 8 year old router and it worked just fine.
    That's fair comment Patrick and you're right. What do you think about trying a leak on the 30?
    PatrickMJS likes this.
    11-10-13 11:33 PM