I'd be more worried about it needing a octacore processor or something.
    Android doesn't "need" an Octacore processor. There isn't even an octacore processor out, technically. This is a perpetrated fanboy myth.

There are plenty of current, single core, low end Androids out there. iOS requires only a single core as well. The lowest end WP8 and BB10 devices both use dual core; but Blackberry is 1.2 ghz dual core vs 1.0 ghz dual core for Windows Phone.

People only mention the RAM because we're talking about efficiency. How can you honestly say BB10 is efficient when its running a gazillion background processes? And you know using more RAM does hurt your battery life. The Z10 is no prize pig in that regard.

BB10 uses more resources than every other major OS by a rather wide margin. It's ironic people refer to the least efficient OS as efficient.
    Donvald likes this.
    10-06-13 01:22 PM
    There is a design flaw in your logic is running Android! You could put the best possible hardware but if the operating system isn't utilizing the power than the high end specifications don't mean as much as what the operating system is using.

Posted via CB10
    Absolutely! Somewhere along the line people will begin to ask themselves why they have such high specs, yet the lag persists. Case in point the S3 vs S4, I use an S3 as my entertainment and second mobile device next to my Q10, I can't stand the way it lags, I was planning to go for the S4, guess what? Exactly the same thing, lag like heck!
    10-06-13 01:25 PM
    No microSD, no thank you.

The HDMI port does look interesting, though. I don't know what Slimport is, but I hope it's not some semi-proprietary gimmick like MHL.

If this isn't around $300 like the Nexus 4 was, IMO, the sales numbers will be pretty bad.
    Slimport is like mhl, but it has 1020p @ higher frame rates, can function without being plugged into an outlet drawing power only from the device only, and can be plugged into an outlet to charge whatever device it's attached to.

Pretty much the same thing as mhl, but does everything a little bit better, and adds a few options that is not available through mhl.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 01:34 PM
    I believe that the nexus 5 will be sold out within a few hours if it's $500, or below.

I know I'm getting one just to finally retire my nexus 4 as my main smartphone.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 01:40 PM
    Clearly the Z30 was designed for a different purpose.
    What was it designed for then?

Posted via my Q
    10-06-13 01:46 PM
    Slimport is like mhl, but it has 1020p @ higher frame rates, can function without being plugged into an outlet drawing power only from the device only, and can be plugged into an outlet to charge whatever device it's attached to.

Pretty much the same thing as mhl, but does everything a little bit better, and adds a few options that is not available through mhl.
    What I meant was does it need an overpriced and excessive setup like MHL is, or can it use a simple micro HDMI to HDMI cable?

I believe that the nexus 5 will be sold out within a few hours if it's $500, or below.

I know I'm getting one just to finally retire my nexus 4 as my main smartphone.
    Sold out doesn't mean much, especially when you stock low quantities at a time (which Google Play is notorious for with the Nexus line.)
    10-06-13 01:56 PM
    Android doesn't "need" an Octacore processor. There isn't even an octacore processor out, technically. This is a perpetrated fanboy myth.

There are plenty of current, single core, low end Androids out there. iOS requires only a single core as well. The lowest end WP8 and BB10 devices both use dual core; but Blackberry is 1.2 ghz dual core vs 1.0 ghz dual core for Windows Phone.

People only mention the RAM because we're talking about efficiency. How can you honestly say BB10 is efficient when its running a gazillion background processes? And you know using more RAM does hurt your battery life. The Z10 is no prize pig in that regard.

BB10 uses more resources than every other major OS by a rather wide margin. It's ironic people refer to the least efficient OS as efficient.
    if they removed true multitasking from bb10 it could run on 512 ram. But that is a major feature with bb10, you dont need to close or suspend apps. Also BB10 does run on 1gb of ram but can only run 5 apps instead of 8 at a time.
    10-06-13 01:59 PM
    if they removed true multitasking from bb10 it could run on 512 ram. But that is a major feature with bb10, you dont need to close or suspend apps. Also BB10 does run on 1gb of ram but can only run 5 apps instead of 8 at a time.
    Same for Android. It has true multitasking ; the ability to run apps in the background and in-app switching to another app without going out. The way android is designed though is that you don't know which apps are closed when you press the multitasking button whereas for bb10 right now you know which apps are open not accounting for headless apps. Android is designed so users don't have to manage apps' state this way even though the power user could just go see the applications that are open and using ram in the application manager. Both OS sure can use a gesture to go back to the previous app seamlessly.
    10-06-13 02:19 PM
    What I meant was does it need an overpriced and excessive setup like MHL is, or can it use a simple micro HDMI to HDMI cable?

Sold out doesn't mean much, especially when you stock low quantities at a time (which Google Play is notorious for with the Nexus line.)
    I don't know if the nexus 5 will have a micro hdmi port (nexus 4 doesn't have one, and I only know for sure that the nexus 10 does), but if it doesn't than yes a "slimport" adaptor $15-$50 (last time I checked).

Sold out only matters to the person that wants one (me), because I have been waiting on this specific device for a while.

It does bug me that they notoriously under produce their nexus line.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:22 PM
    Efficient, yet it requires at least 2 gigs of ram to run properly while ios and wp8 do not...
    Think about how BB10 multitasks.
    That takes more ram.
    OS efficiency impacts the required MIPS for seamless operation. OS responsiveness impacts latencies for responding to events/signals.
    BB 10 is efficient and responsive in a way that any device not based on an RTOS will never be.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 02:32 PM
    What was it designed for then?

Posted via my Q
    Good question. Let's see. Better front facing camera, stereo sound, better mics, bigger battery and a screen chosen for battery saving. I'll say it was designed around the use of video conference calling. Sooo perhaps more business communication oriented. Not as much media and entertainment oriented but with just enough specs to handle media decently enough. Both phones sound good but to me. I'm more of a communication type user so a Z30 would be a good option if I were to choose between the two. I can see the Z30 still falling in line with BlackBerry business strategy. Still lots of work to do so keep moving BlackBerry.
    10-06-13 02:33 PM
    For me it is no contest, no matter the specs of the nexus 5 it will not have the UI or OS of BB10. I do like the nexus line, have the Galaxy and the 4 but I always prefer my Z and Q over them. I think whatever floats your boat go with it....... for me it is and always has been BlackBerry... I look forward to owning the Z30 very soon.
    These are the type of opinions we want/need: people owning non BlackBerry and BlackBerry phones and still prefer the Z and Q phones
    10-06-13 02:50 PM
    and which Blackberry phone is good? I am very curious since they are all rubbish, software included..the z30 screen is awful compared to any flagship Android phones
    How can you be curious if you already formed your opinion that ALL BlackBerry phones are rubbish?
    10-06-13 03:03 PM
    These are the type of opinions we want/need: people owning non BlackBerry and BlackBerry phones and still prefer the Z and Q phones
    I know that these are the opinions that people want here, but I think that the opinions of the other folks who prefer their other devices are important. If a blackberry ceo came to this forum, and only saw positive reviews they might be left wondering why their device didn't sell.
    They'll just end up thinking that their only flaw was bad marketing. They will in turn pump more money into good marketing. They might even pull cash away from r&d (because the device, and ecosystem is all ready perfect), and end up putting all that money into an aggressive marketing program. They'll end up with amazing marketing, but a below standard device that doesn't do well.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:06 PM
    Hey folks, just to share something...

Android phones are for those who really spend time on tweaking as their hobby and also for users who really prefer android. Its very customizable.

Android os works great if you install a customized one
    (but doesn't work for all users)
    The stack android os (4.3) is good aswell but not like the blackberry 10.2<---which I prefer AS and FOR daily driver; work and social.

BlackBerry just don't have the numbers of good apps like android has.

Blackberry's qnx os is great too... it's very efficient... and its good for those who don't really like wasting time on playing their daily driver phones...and its the best phone for quick replies and multi tasking (you know what I mean), the FLoOoOoOoWww.

back to topic,

Yeeeessss, z30 is way behind compared to n5 if we talk about hardware spec and prices.

This is one of the bad reasons why blackberry is having bad sale because most people didn't understand that the expensive part of the new BlackBerry is the os.

Usually, users think on how much power does the phone has and the price as well. Next, is the ecosystem and trending.

My suggestion for BlackBerry

LOWER THE PRICES IF YOU WANT TO SELL LIKE HELL!

Give people a very good deal on data plans if you cant compress the data traffic.

The OS is too young for those price bracket where the other high end phones are with.

If you want to step up, give us a very good hardware spec that comes with your good os. In other words,
    IMPRESS US!

Anyways, blackberry z30 is awesome!
    Please keep it up.

Posted via CB10
    10-06-13 03:31 PM
    Low end androids suck (those single core, low ram ones). Also an iphone 4 with a single core processor running ios6.1 (was not that bad with 4.1). Any os with low end processors (by todays standarts) are terrible to use.
    10-06-13 04:02 PM
    I use and like my Z10 and if Blackberry was not in the condition that it was in, I feel certain that I would buy a Z30. As it is, I am paying careful attention to the Nexus 5.

With Blackberry's future so uncertain, I am very reluctant to buy another one. I am hoping that this situation sorts itself in the next few weeks.

Android is far from perfect and I like BB10 much better. But, Nexus 5 has great specs. Android now has lots of good apps and you don't have to pray that a sideload works. Plus, my wife has a Nexus 4 and people who claim that Android is laggy simply don't know what they are talking about. This is part of the BB fanboi reality distortion zone that has prevented BB from addressing its problems over the years.

Again, Android is not the most elegant OS but the OS is not everything. The OS is just a platform to do other things with.
    10-06-13 04:41 PM
    Absolutely! Somewhere along the line people will begin to ask themselves why they have such high specs, yet the lag persists. Case in point the S3 vs S4, I use an S3 as my entertainment and second mobile device next to my Q10, I can't stand the way it lags, I was planning to go for the S4, guess what? Exactly the same thing, lag like heck!
    How long did you use an S4? (if ever) Owners who got the first software update report the lag they had at launch is gone. The HTC One is virtually lag free, as are, the Nexus 4, the Moto X (and the VZW Droid versions), And none of those last 3 use bleeding edge specs. With even better hardware on the N5, there is no reason to expect it won't be just as lag free.
    JasW, Berry_Pink and Donvald like this.
    10-06-13 05:17 PM
    I'll say it was designed around the use of video conference calling. Sooo perhaps more business communication oriented. Not as much media and entertainment oriented but with just enough specs to handle media decently enough. Both phones sound good but to me. I'm more of a communication type user so a Z30 would be a good option if I were to choose between the two. I can see the Z30 still falling in line with BlackBerry business strategy. Still lots of work to do so keep moving BlackBerry.
    I agree with your last sentence, and I'll even concede that it was probably designed with some great things in mind.

Still, when it comes to teleconferencing and business work, I feel BB10 is the weakest of the major three or four platforms around.
    tack and Donvald like this.
    10-06-13 05:22 PM
    Cannot wait to try the Nexus 5. Really looking forward to it.

But I wouldn't mind having a Z30 to add to my collection of play devices. I am fond of BB10 UI.
    10-06-13 05:25 PM
    I agree with your last sentence, and I'll even concede that it was probably designed with some great things in mind.

Still, when it comes to teleconferencing and business work, I feel BB10 is the weakest of the major three or four platforms around.
    Well I wasn't really saying any one phone was better than the other. Just answering what I think the Z30 was designed for. Care to elaborate why you think BB10 is weaker in those specific categories?
    10-06-13 06:08 PM
    I have a N7 and love it.

Would never consider Android for a phone, but that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    I'm the complete opposite... I would never consider android for a tablet but would for a phone... well at least I have not been impressed with the nexus 7 (owned both generations and returned them) nor an earlier galaxy tab... I find android sucks for tablets as it isn't optimized for them on the whole. it will probably get there eventually but for now android feels built for phone but forced on tablets.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    10-06-13 06:13 PM

Really? For business use I both a Z10 and a Q5 and not sure what you mean here? BB10 is unrivaled as productivity tool, I think. Frequently during conference calls I can check any one of up to 8 different open applications to check dates, facts, shoot out emails etc. Plus quite a few of my colleagues are now using BBM (wer're in Canada eh) which has amazing audio quality (better than HD Audio). The Z30 will really perform with the natural sound speakers. Perhaps I misunderstood your post though?

Posted via CB10
    NightSlayer likes this.
    10-06-13 06:15 PM
    Not sure if I would go nexus 5 or not... I have been cursed with bad android experiences so far with regards to reception and battery (galaxy s2 had bad reception and nexus 4 has bad battery and awful reception). In Orlando last week and almost took a hammer to my Nexus 4 it frustrated me so much (bad reception, battery drain, not giving me access to all my emails) ... despite having more apps, I switched back to my BlackBerry since at least it worked.

If I go nexus 5, I will try it out first before buying as I am just tired of having an android smartphone that fails to preform as a phone first no matter the app situation.

Still want a z30 but won't pay $700 for it...
    10-06-13 06:26 PM
    and which Blackberry phone is good? I am very curious since they are all rubbish, software included..the z30 screen is awful compared to any flagship Android phones
    Z10, Q10, and Z30. But there's really no point in arguing with a closed mind.
    NightSlayer likes this.
    10-06-13 06:36 PM
224 12345 ...