I'm guessing that question is directed towards me?
    Well, imo it has the same sound quality, better screen, better battery, better os, faster speed, but less apps, unless you convert yourself.

Htc never made good phones, and the one proves it
    HTC Evo3d was a great phone...just not a BlackBerry...

Trusted Member Genius
    10-09-13 12:57 AM
    HTC Evo3d was a great phone...just not a BlackBerry...

Trusted Member Genius
    He think the One is not a great phone. Pretty much every tech site and review agrees it is a great phone. Blackberry blinders on.

Sent from the bat cave using CB forums
    raysgrumpy likes this.
    10-09-13 01:24 AM
    People actually use the native Twitter app lol, its horrible!! Plume is a great free option but like Falcon Pro the best (pay app).

I tested my different Twitter apps and the native Twitter app is the only one that won't paste the tweet into the native text app. Plume and Falcon Pro do, Twitter seems to be able to copy tweets to my other SMS apps like Handcent and Textra.
    Twitter is much better than Plume. Really, unless you're some type of super power user there is very little reason to use a different Twitter app on Android.

Twitter for Android has PUSH Notifications for Tweets, DMs, Mentions, Favorites, Retweets, etc. that most third party options lack.

Twitter for Android also Syncs DM read status across Twitter Clients and devices.

It's focused on just Twitter, and the UI is pretty simple and straight to the point. Those third party apps like Plume as godawfully ugly, too busy, stacked with tons of confusing and redundant options, and try to be a one stop shop by integrating services like Facebook. They also lack support for PUSH notifications which make them useless for following things in real time.

When the Olympics are on and I want to get real-time updates on an event/sport, I follow someone that is live blogging or covering the event over twitter and turn on Tweet notifications for them in the Twitter app (it will then push to my Smartphone, Tablet, Windows 8 Notebook, etc.). You cannot do that in Plume.

It's worthless for that type of stuff.

There are reasons to use a third party app, which are valid. But for the majority of Twitter users, they are useless and while bashing the Android Twitter app was the in thing 2 years ago, it's a completely different experience these days...
    10-09-13 02:49 PM
    Actually, if you add more RAM, you don't run the risk of anything, you will be using more battery since it will need to be powered which is one of the reasons why mobile companies try not to overspec on the RAM since they are trying to minimise weight and device thickness as much as possible while still hitting usage targets.
    You're wrong.

When you add more RAM, you introduce more space to run more processes, so there actually is a risk of using more battery than on a a phone with smaller RAM where the LMK in Android (for example) would be more aggressive in killing old background processes that are still running. Since there is no deficiency of RAM, those processes are allowed to keep running on a higher RAM device.

If BB10 had 3GB RAM in the device, they'd probably allow you to run 12 or so apps instead of 8, and that would certainly have theoretical (and potentially serious) implications IRT battery life.
    10-09-13 02:53 PM
    To those saying android is laggy this isn't true. My Galaxy S2 has slightly worst hardware than a LTE playbook. I run CyanogenMod 4.3 with no lag at all.
    Attachment 208997

I highly doubt bb10 would run on this hardware

Sent from my GT-I9100 using CB Forums mobile app
    The Galaxy S2 actually has a better hardware than the LTE playbook. Better SoC/GPU (it's not just about clock speed), better BT stack, better Sound DAC, better Camera (except the FFC), NFC, etc. The GPU, especially in the International GS2, blows the Playbook's away. RIM went for the cheapest SoC they can get, to keep margins up. They skimped and it burned them in the end.

The GS2s have gotten the Official JB update with TouchWiz Nature UX which runs practically flawlessly on those phones, so that is not really anything you have to worry about. I had a Skyrocket. It ran every official FW from Samsung flawlessly for me (though it already had 2.3.6 when I purchased mine new).
    10-09-13 02:59 PM
    That's nice. My S2 on jellybean barely runs at all.

Posted via CB10
    Had one with official update. Stop perpetuating this lie, or show us a video of it in action...
    10-09-13 03:00 PM
    He think the One is not a great phone. Pretty much every tech site and review agrees it is a great phone. Blackberry blinders on.

Sent from the bat cave using CB forums
    The One is a great phone, but the camera - which was supposed to be its biggest selling point - was a huge disappointment compared to what HTC was telling people to expect...
    10-09-13 03:01 PM
    Android doesn't "need" an Octacore processor. There isn't even an octacore processor out, technically. This is a perpetrated fanboy myth.

There are plenty of current, single core, low end Androids out there. iOS requires only a single core as well. The lowest end WP8 and BB10 devices both use dual core; but Blackberry is 1.2 ghz dual core vs 1.0 ghz dual core for Windows Phone.

People only mention the RAM because we're talking about efficiency. How can you honestly say BB10 is efficient when its running a gazillion background processes? And you know using more RAM does hurt your battery life. The Z10 is no prize pig in that regard.

BB10 uses more resources than every other major OS by a rather wide margin. It's ironic people refer to the least efficient OS as efficient.
    I would presume it requires more RAM since BB10 is the only true microkernel OS amongst iOS, Android and WP. Almost everything in BB10 runs in user mode and requires more overhead. The benefit is that processes (and in particular, the kernel) are protected from each when there are failures.

Resource usage looks to be one negative for a microkernel OS. However, if there we NO negatives, everyone would use one since they are so robust and fault tolerant compared to mixed microkernel/monolithic OS's that are the most common today.

All architecture decisions are a compromise.

I support BB10, NOT BB Management!
    10-11-13 01:33 AM
    The only one of those that is actually useful is the expandable memory which is even debatable as 32 GB of storage would suffice for most users. The N5 would be a better phone if the prices were equal, now at almost half the price, its not even a question.
    Depends. If you were to look at the specs of the N4 vs Z10, one may think the N4 is the 'better' phone yet despite the lower price point, I'd choose the Z10 as it has:
    - better signal reception
    - longer battery on standby (though worse performance when using apps)
    - better screen (sharper, brighter, easier to read in daylight)
    - better camera (same MP but better performance and images)
    - expandable storage (I will never buy a 16GB phone again as it just isn't enough space)

For my needs, if the N5 improves their signal reception, makes their screen easier to read outdoors, has better battery performance on standby and improves their camera app (regardless of what the MP are), then it 'may' be a good purchase in general but we wont know any of that until the phone is out.

Basically, specs don't tell the entire story so until you try the phones out in person, you don't know which will be the better deal. And based on the Z10 vs N4 at least, you were giving up real world performance for the price difference despite the specs of the N4 looking good on paper.

Since I'm not happy with the N4, I'll probably upgrade to the N5 since the Nexus line in theory makes for a good backup phone but I still want the Z30 and if I have both I think the Z30 will be my daily driver like the Z10 is now. But who knows...
    grover5 likes this.
    10-11-13 07:40 AM
    There are plenty of current, single core, low end Androids out there. iOS requires only a single core as well. The lowest end WP8 and BB10 devices both use dual core; but Blackberry is 1.2 ghz dual core vs 1.0 ghz dual core for Windows Phone.

People only mention the RAM because we're talking about efficiency. How can you honestly say BB10 is efficient when its running a gazillion background processes? And you know using more RAM does hurt your battery life.
    Running android on low end hardware is generally horrible and anyone trying to claim otherwise is being either dishonest or misguided.

As far as RAM, using it makes almost no difference, you have to power it whether it is used or not so the important thing is not to overspec the amount you want in the first place when it comes to mobile devices, albeit this will tend to annoy people when their 3+ year old devices can no longer run the newest stuff.
    grover5 likes this.
    10-11-13 08:37 AM
    You're wrong.

When you add more RAM, you introduce more space to run more processes, so there actually is a risk of using more battery than on a a phone with smaller RAM where the LMK in Android (for example) would be more aggressive in killing old background processes that are still running. Since there is no deficiency of RAM, those processes are allowed to keep running on a higher RAM device.

If BB10 had 3GB RAM in the device, they'd probably allow you to run 12 or so apps instead of 8, and that would certainly have theoretical (and potentially serious) implications IRT battery life.
    You're saying that only if there's apps that's running, or risks of inviting apps running, no?
    If i'm not mistaken one of the reasons why the older phones with 512MBs suffer a lot from this problem, can be grouped up into 2 sections:

a) Google's updated the GAPPS so that they can't be killed (this is a lot of RAM usage for phones that are 512 and below), or I think they called it "persistent". It was widely discussed in the Greenify community (an app about memory management / process management)

b) some of the newer apps that are running in ICS and JB have that "purposefully-deformed" notifications built in so that they remain 'persistent' or something like that as well. Not all, definitely, but there are few big name apps that does that. Facebook app by facebook is kinda notorious for 'persistency' to run (not exactly stay in background, but consumes processing power, for whatever reasons unknown) even after killed, i'm not sure how to explain this but there's lots of such dicussions on XDA

c) I don't think that the manufacturers can dictate what the app makers can do, (as like Google say, the apps got richer, its not that the phones were lacking power) so the next step was to increase RAM? Its a win-win situation, though. More apps can run, and manufacturers get bragging rights for introducing 'higher specs'.
    10-11-13 08:34 PM
    Before I could consider a Z30, BB would need to fix a lot of Z30 issues. The few reviews I have read indicate a lot of issues with locking up, camera issues, issues turning the screen off and on, and other issues. The browser also test slower than Android.

Why would anyone want to buy a phone that reboots randomly, has so many other issues, and has a weak ecosystem. Really?

I sold a Z10 months ago due to similar issues, and I would not repeat it. Good luck for those of you buying one.
    10-11-13 09:16 PM
    Before I could consider a Z30, BB would need to fix a lot of Z30 issues. The few reviews I have read indicate a lot of issues with locking up, camera issues, issues turning the screen off and on, and other issues. The browser also test slower than Android.
    You mean the one review you read from Engadget right??

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    10-11-13 09:35 PM

Did you already forget the several other reviews with the same problems? You've discussed them in the other thread.
    10-11-13 10:35 PM

If you were looking to buy and all you read was a review from Engadget or Forbes, would it sway you not to buy? It is enough for me to say they still have issues, on at least some percentages of the devices. This plus my Z10 experience leads me to stay clear.
    10-12-13 09:41 AM
    Did you already forget the several other reviews with the same problems? You've discussed them in the other thread.
    Not at all. The other review just mentioned the reboots whereas the Engadget had more specific issues that the poster mentioned but made it seem that it was from multiple reviews. Unless the poster can quote other reviews that mentioned those same issues other than ones about the reboot my statement stands.

Last edited by jay_men; 10-12-13 at 11:12 AM.
    10-12-13 10:02 AM
    If you were looking to buy and all you read was a review from Engadget or Forbes, would it sway you not to buy? It is enough for me to say they still have issues, on at least some percentages of the devices. This plus my Z10 experience leads me to stay clear.
    I'll rather read up, then make up my mind once I'm at the shop and try out the phone for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. Well, at least I know places where I can do that, without getting frowned upon even if I don't buy it. I think that's a better informed decision.

One of the many reasons I don't trust reviews on surface value, is especially on picture taking and screen watching. That's just me. I've got plenty of reasons (more of the way I perceive pseudo-photograhy) as to why I don't really take the 2 parts on face value.

Besides, I haven't seen a tech review company that's not biased / skewed.
    10-12-13 10:38 AM
    I'll rather read up, then make up my mind once I'm at the shop and try out the phone for at least 30 minutes to 1 hour. Well, at least I know places where I can do that, without getting frowned upon even if I don't buy it. I think that's a better informed decision.

One of the many reasons I don't trust reviews on surface value, is especially on picture taking and screen watching. That's just me. I've got plenty of reasons (more of the way I perceive pseudo-photograhy) as to why I don't really take the 2 parts on face value.

Besides, I haven't seen a tech review company that's not biased / skewed.
    I don't disagree and I am much the same. However I don't believe testing in a store tells the story. You cannot hookup your email accounts. You cannot test all of your apps. You don't get to run it through real world situations.

Given my bad Z10 experience and my previously bad BB experiences with quality and software, two reviews noting similar issues is enough for me to suspect those issues are real and just might be probable enough to affect me. It is about probability. All phones have issues, but in what percentage and at what severity matters. It always cracks me up how some have one with no issues and believe others must be exaggerating.

I loved my 8830 and had no issues. It has been nothing but with the 4 BB's I have had since, including multiple hardware warranty replacements. I wish it were different as I like a lot of things about BB, or else I would not have so many. My company also had an unbelievable percentage of issues with BB's. Since we switched, the issues have more than halved. This, I believe, is BB's main issue. People remember the issues and if they experience anything similar with BB10 or knowing someone who has or read two negative reviews, it warns them away.
    10-12-13 03:32 PM
    Nexus 5 have two versions one 16gb +2300mah and 32g + 3000

Posted via CB10
    10-14-13 10:30 PM
    You're saying that only if there's apps that's running, or risks of inviting apps running, no?
    If i'm not mistaken one of the reasons why the older phones with 512MBs suffer a lot from this problem, can be grouped up into 2 sections:

a) Google's updated the GAPPS so that they can't be killed (this is a lot of RAM usage for phones that are 512 and below), or I think they called it "persistent". It was widely discussed in the Greenify community (an app about memory management / process management)
    That is not an issue. Google's GApps can be killed. You can end them in the Task Manager on a GS2/3/4 device, so I'm not sure what the hell you are talking about. Additionally, Google's GAPPs do not use a separate process for each app to receive notifications. They all use Google Cloud Messaging and Sync through one account on the phone - all of them. The GApps have very little impact on the RAM size of the system, and most of them do not even start up at boot. It's TRIVIAL to load it up, back out of it, then go to Active Processes and see that it is NOT running in the background. That goes for all of their GApps.

A lot of stuff that needs to run all the time (which isn't part of the "Android System") has been siphoned off and put in Google Play Services mega process, and that process is not using ridiculous amounts of RAM on Android devices.

b) some of the newer apps that are running in ICS and JB have that "purposefully-deformed" notifications built in so that they remain 'persistent' or something like that as well. Not all, definitely, but there are few big name apps that does that. Facebook app by facebook is kinda notorious for 'persistency' to run (not exactly stay in background, but consumes processing power, for whatever reasons unknown) even after killed, i'm not sure how to explain this but there's lots of such dicussions on XDA
    We've already discussed this, but that is easy to see as you can see which apps are doing it via the Active Processes on the phone, and simply disable or uninstall the application. No Pre-loaded apps on an Android device does this, at least none that I have seen. You are in charge of the apps you install on your device, and that goes for any OS.

This was the work of certain third party applications. Developers like Facebook, Twitter, Path, Instagram, Microsoft, TechSmith, etc. do not use these tricks. They either use real Ongoing Notifications, or a PUSH Notification infrastructure to keep their apps/users engaged/running. Android 4.3 alerts users of this, and none of the big apps were caught doing it. In fact, the apps and the number of apps caught doing it weren't really that significant from a market perspective.

Yes, it will be discussed on XDA, because the niche of people who use those apps tend to congregate there ;-)

c) I don't think that the manufacturers can dictate what the app makers can do, (as like Google say, the apps got richer, its not that the phones were lacking power) so the next step was to increase RAM? Its a win-win situation, though. More apps can run, and manufacturers get bragging rights for introducing 'higher specs'.
    No, but you can, by not installing their app.

I'm more concerned with RAM bandwidth and speed than RAM capacity (same for storage, though 16GB + mSDHC is a requirement for me), because JB can run without any issues whatsoever on 1GB RAM which is a 2 year old spec, and there are even still mid range devices being released with 512 that run decently given what you pay for them.

What the extra RAM capacity does right now is allow the user to run much bigger apps, and more apps concurrently without RAM becoming a bottleneck. That matters for a platform that does allow apps to run in the background the way Android and BB10 does. It matters less for platforms that limit multi-tasking like iOS and Windows Phone.

The fact that an extra 1GB RAM helps on an Android device does not mean that the device needs more than 1GB to perform acceptably, because that's not really true. Most of the issues with stability on devices are due to software issues, not hardware specs. Hardware specs are sufficiently high, to the point that they aren't really that big a deal.

The issue with RAM on BB10 has little to do with the hardware specs and everything to do with the OS being inefficient and not scaling down to those specs properly - the way other OSes have been able to (iOS, Android, and WP all perform acceptably on mid-range 512 RAM, while no one would think of putting BB10 on such a device).
    10-18-13 01:21 PM
    What I want to happen is BlackBerry 10.2.1.xxxx running on nexus 5

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 04:44 PM
    What I want to happen is BlackBerry 10.2.1.xxxx running on nexus 5

Posted via CB10
    I second that.

(BBM#33)
    10-20-13 04:46 PM
    @ tack : my Z30 has not crashed once since I have started using it on the 15th. In fact, not a single application has frozen so unless you go out and buy one, I suggest you should read about actual user experience that have bought one since the Z30's official release

Posted via CB10
    10-20-13 05:11 PM
    @ tack : my Z30 has not crashed once since I have started using it on the 15th. In fact, not a single application has frozen so unless you go out and buy one, I suggest you should read about actual user experience that have bought one since the Z30's official release

Posted via CB10
    I hope the user experiences are good and BB fixes any issues. I had several people tell me that about the Z10, and my experience and that of many others were completely different.

I wish the Z30 and 10.2 were what BB put into the market day one. I feel things might be different for them right now.
    10-20-13 05:36 PM
224 ... 789