and which Blackberry phone is good? I am very curious since they are all rubbish, software included..the z30 screen is awful compared to any flagship Android phones
    I hate to throw that "t" word, that sounds like roll........but............

Why are you here?
    10-07-13 07:45 PM
    yeah, because stealing apks off a random website and repackaging them is VERY VERY secure

not to mention the VERY VERY fluid and cohesive UI present in apps designed for an entirely different platform

you're ABSOLUTELY right, these two things do not affect the OS at all
    You're trying so hard.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 07:49 PM
    Android doesn't "need" an Octacore processor. There isn't even an octacore processor out, technically. This is a perpetrated fanboy myth.

There are plenty of current, single core, low end Androids out there. iOS requires only a single core as well. The lowest end WP8 and BB10 devices both use dual core; but Blackberry is 1.2 ghz dual core vs 1.0 ghz dual core for Windows Phone.

People only mention the RAM because we're talking about efficiency. How can you honestly say BB10 is efficient when its running a gazillion background processes? And you know using more RAM does hurt your battery life. The Z10 is no prize pig in that regard.

BB10 uses more resources than every other major OS by a rather wide margin. It's ironic people refer to the least efficient OS as efficient.
    Android on a single core? You can't be serious.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 08:03 PM
    Luckily it won't stay at $700 for long...
    True...

Just wait... and see...

And this kind of mentality is embedded by BlackBerry to its non-die hard consumers...

Posted via Z10
    10-07-13 09:01 PM
    Gee, I thought I was a geek, but I guess I am a Luddite in Geek clothing. I really like the BB10 OS, including the gestures, and getting things done. I DO NOT like the marketing, and overall two years too late to the party, of BBRY. Having said that, I also really like my Nexus 4. It is clean, fast, and, contrary to many thoughts, lag free. Remember, I bought the Z10, on a three year contract (only in Canada, you say?) so I bought into the company's future. I would like to have EITHER the Z30, or N5, but I would like a better ecosystem, with not as much work to make the phone work well. (see my signature) They are both great phones!
    Terser Nori likes this.
    10-08-13 01:36 AM
    That makes no sense. If you like it as a "tablet" OS, how would you "loathe" it on a phone? The only difference is making phone calls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    Because I know there's something better.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
    Kevstra likes this.
    10-08-13 03:56 AM
    That makes no sense. If you like it as a "tablet" OS, how would you "loathe" it on a phone? The only difference is making phone calls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    I'm in the very same boat. Have a Nexus 7 4G and love it. However, I would never use an Android phone as a daily driver. I want my phone to just simply work; efficiently I may add. Don't need all the customization that Android offers.

iPhone is just too simple for me. BB10 is a sweet spot. And once you get used to the hub; there is no way back. Especially after toast notification with reply ability.

Just my 0.02.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 04:16 AM
    the Nexus 5 will no doubt be amazingly lagg-a-licious.
    Spoken like a true never-used-a-Nexus person. Vanilla Android running on a 2.3GHz CPU is going to lag like Usain Bolt.

I vote we switch this name to "Nexus 5 vs Z30" because it's the Nexus 5 that needs to catch up to the Z30, not vice versa
    See above. And throw in the Nexus 5's much better display to boot.
    Donvald likes this.
    10-08-13 06:26 AM
    In case you missed it, the leaked specs of the LG-built Google Nexus 5 is what I and many of us hoped for the Z30.

4.95-inch1080p IPS LCD
    Snapdragon 800 quad-core CPU (MSM8947) at 2.3GHz
    2GB RAM
    32GB storage
    Wireless charging
    8MPrear camera with OIS; 1.3MP front camera
    2300mAh battery
    Accelerometer; ambient light sensor; Compass; Gyroscope; Proximity; Pressure sensors
    HDMI out via Slimport
    Notification LED
    NFC; Bluetooth 3 (?); A-GPS; 802.11 b/g/n wifi

Of course the kicker is that this beauty will probably retail around $500.

It's definitely not easy remaining a loyal Crackberry-er sometimes.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    Well, It's running Android! that's a deal-breaker!
    10-08-13 06:50 AM
    How official are these nexus 5 specs?

(BBM#33)
    10-08-13 06:50 AM
    I'm not sure how a thread about "Z30 vs the Nexus 5" became a slug fest of "how Android phones have the superiority in outmuscling the BlackBerry devices in every way so Z30 sucks because the Z10 is a fail", so I'm not going to trot back (though I'll love to gleefully look at few things)

But if I'm going to look at the LG G2 as a reference device (since its the one nearest to the DNA of the Nexus 5), my thoughts are going to be like this (excuse my pro-BB side, I've got a soft spot for them after all).

Overall hardware:
    1. The Z30 is a newer generation of BB10 phones, since its on a different chip, and basically have an internal makeover of sorts. If you're asking why I'm raising this, a quick history of the BB hardware used in each and every generation of BlackBerry devices ought to point to this. It's a 10.2 of the BlackBerry devices, hardware and software. Anybody asking for a quad-core CPU would be dissapointed, because BlackBerry doesn't have the hardware to do it, nor the software is utilized properly for it. If you understood the entire paragraph, then you should be able to predict that BlackBerry isn't the company that will go full court press on the hardware front. On a side note, please don't expect a 64bit processor by BlackBerry in 2014, or early 2015. Please, just, don't.

2. On the Nexus side, if Google releases a Nexus with this spec, its just being Google to say "hey guys, this is a reference standard model, for at least 18 months. I mean, this is how an Android phone of its time should be". The 2GB here is more of a signal than an upgrade (owners of the older nexus should probably know what I mean, in the light of "who's android has the bigger RAM yo" race) to a Google experience. This may change though, since Apple launched a 64bit processor and all that, so I'm not so sure if it will last even 12 months before another reference Nexus for a 64 bit software, assuming rumours of incoming 64bit processors flooding the market.

2b) I have always looked upon the Nexus tablet as a reference model. But since this is z30 vs nexus 5, I think it still stands, per se.

On the user experience

1) The BlackBerry user experience on the BB10 has been evolving, at least it isn't really stagnant on the 10.0 to 10.2. Probably in time more will do, but for one I suspect Themes will not allow a BlackBerry z30 to change the way it behave like how Android launchers can change their android devices. When it comes to treating it as a communicator phone, BlackBerry has done a lot to make things better. Most of the z30's hardware improvements over the previous generation of z10 and q10s, are surprisingly about comm tech. So I expect the z30 to be a step / notch better than the previous BB10 devices on this. I have without a reasonable doubt that the communications factor is top notch from previous BlackBerries. People have complained that the company had lost its DNA, the z30 is a step in getting back / re-acquiring part of that DNA.

2) The Google User Experience is something I don't like, but the best way I can picture this is like taking the entire world and compress it into a butler, and that butler is sitting right on your palm. It will learn what you like to do, what you don't like, how you do it, how you don't do it, things and stuffs you do, learn a lot (maybe not everything, but still a lot) about you, and try to behave to be the best silent butler, akin to Aloysius Parker of Thunderbirds, or that Alfred Pennyworth of Batman (just inserting here as a pop reference). It learns about you, and it will serve you. The best thing about the Google User experience? It changes, again and again and again. If you look at the user experience from an entrenched Google user (like hangouts, G+, etc) the Nexus 5 should offer an upgrade to this, with the new Kit Kat generation OS. I'm sure this would be very fun, but on the other hand, a person who doesn't want all that will have to know that he/she has to disable it, or maybe change the OS to get more privacy. But you give some, you take some. Those who've used Gingerbread, all the way to the latest can attest to this. How Android has evolved, and I'm sure it would continue to evolve further!

2b) I know that there's a side argument about "I can make my Android that feels like a BlackBerry", and I have given a lot of responses on that in the past. To sum a long story short (instead of doing a copy-pasta), I'll say that mimic is the best form of flattery, and mimicking it, is just isn't it. Irregardless whether Android's "it" is better, or worse, it's just isn't "it". I am not sure how to put this in a proper analogy, but the idea of cooked meat comes into mind. Some like it raw, some like it medium rare, etc, only that in Android you can still tinker, but not with a BlackBerry, much. However, I don't think I'll like to Androify my BlackBerry, or buy an Android and attempt to BlackBerry-fy it. I might as well just buy the phone. Give and take a bit. My compromise to this is just get a BlackBerry device, and an Android tablet. LOL. Best of both worlds, at least that's how I look at it.

3) I don't think you can go wrong with either phone, assuming you know what you want. I know of a weird extreme case of where a friend of mine actually uses a Samsung Note 2, but recently bought a 9900 (BB10 devices were already out), and rocking both devices. I asked him why buy a 9900 when he can get a q10/q5, he said he preferred the communications part of the BlackBerry devices, so if he has to pound it, he'll use it. Otherwise, the Note 2 is still his daily driver.

Do I have a conclusion / clear winner here? Not really. But if you ask me, I'll just take the z30 any day, then take up an Android tablet to fill 2 voids; the need of a portable tablet, and an Android device. The surface pro 2, and dell venue pro 11, while it can replace an android tablet, (since you can potentially hack it to run android apps anyway) I think I was better off buying a proper laptop. Ha ha.
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    10-08-13 07:13 AM
    Also, in terms of engineering, if you add more RAM, you run the risk of using more battery.
    Actually, if you add more RAM, you don't run the risk of anything, you will be using more battery since it will need to be powered which is one of the reasons why mobile companies try not to overspec on the RAM since they are trying to minimise weight and device thickness as much as possible while still hitting usage targets.
    10-08-13 07:29 AM
    Actually, if you add more RAM, you don't run the risk of anything, you will be using more battery since it will need to be powered which is one of the reasons why mobile companies try not to overspec on the RAM since they are trying to minimise weight and device thickness as much as possible while still hitting usage targets.
    I think Samsung would like to disagree, with their +1up strategy. Others with dual core, okay, we go quad! Others with quad, okay we go double quad!

Some phones with 1 GB RAM, okay we go 1.5GB!

Some phones with 2GB, okay, lets put 3GB on the new Note 3!

They're always trying to 1 up everything. Haha!
    10-08-13 07:34 AM
    I believe that the nexus 5 will be sold out within a few hours if it's $500, or below.
    Given the lack of actual stock of the Nexus 4, that would seem like a fairly safe bet to make regardless of the price.
    10-08-13 07:34 AM
    I think Samsung would like to disagree, with their +1up strategy. Others with dual core, okay, we go quad! Others with quad, okay we go double quad!

Some phones with 1 GB RAM, okay we go 1.5GB!

Some phones with 2GB, okay, lets put 3GB on the new Note 3!
    Android devices have to be sold on their specs, so there are limits to how much they can restrain themselves, but even within that context they still don't overspec beyond what is needed to technical or marketing reasons e.g. the QC8974 chip will happily support 4GB of RAM but you don't see them going beyond 3GB now do you?
    10-08-13 07:42 AM
    Spoken like a true never-used-a-Nexus person. Vanilla Android running on a 2.3GHz CPU is going to lag like Usain Bolt.

See above. And throw in the Nexus 5's much better display to boot.
    You haven't seen nexus 5s much better display yet.. it could be a blue mess like the Samsung displays lol

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 07:53 AM
    To those saying android is laggy this isn't true. My Galaxy S2 has slightly worst hardware than a LTE playbook. I run CyanogenMod 4.3 with no lag at all.
    Z30 vs Nexus 5-1381236750064.jpg

I highly doubt bb10 would run on this hardware

Sent from my GT-I9100 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-08-13 07:54 AM
    To those saying android is laggy this isn't true. My Galaxy S2 has slightly worst hardware than a LTE playbook. I run CyanogenMod 4.3 with no lag at all.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	1381236750064.jpg 
Views:	1024 
Size:	23.3 KB 
ID:	208997

I highly doubt bb10 would run on this hardware

Sent from my GT-I9100 using CB Forums mobile app
    That's nice. My S2 on jellybean barely runs at all.

Posted via CB10
    Bobert_123 likes this.
    10-08-13 08:11 AM
    Given the lack of actual stock of the Nexus 4, that would seem like a fairly safe bet to make regardless of the price.
    You're right Google is notorious for under producing them.

I don't even understand why they would even release them. There really is just a small market that wants the device in the first place, and they really don't put too much into marketing the nexus phones. Not too many sell, and they only sold 3 million units. In most cases it's easier to get the nexus phones second hand, but people will only sell them for about what they paid originally which doesn't make sense. On top of all that Google doesn't even make that much money off the hardware. As a consumer I sometimes question the appeal to said devices. Why would anyone buy a $250 -$500 phone that has competitive hardware when there are decent phones for $700+?
    Seems nuts to me.

(BBM#33)
    10-08-13 08:26 AM
    Nexus 4 only sold over 3 million phones to date, so the nexus 5 is probably going to be a bust. If you look at the nexus 5 specwise when compared to the z30 the unofficial specs state that it doesn't have a removable battery, or an antenna. Why would you pay up to an unofficial amount of $500 for that mediocre phone? Jeez think about how quickly your battery will drain from running all those apps.

(BBM#33)
    10-08-13 08:33 AM
    That's nice. My S2 on jellybean barely runs at all.

Posted via CB10
    Do you have standard Touchwiz jellybean? Touchwiz is bloated and a resource hog IMO. Changed from a standard ROM within hours of getting mine
    10-08-13 09:15 AM
    Do you have standard Touchwiz jellybean? Touchwiz is bloated and a resource hog IMO. Changed from a standard ROM within hours of getting mine
    I usually just disable all the prepackaged bloatware from Samsung devices (my step one), and they all would run fine (except a note 8 that I had would still have an occasional stutter).

(BBM#33)
    10-08-13 09:21 AM
    Nexus 4 only sold over 3 million phones to date, so the nexus 5 is probably going to be a bust. If you look at the nexus 5 specwise when compared to the z30 the unofficial specs state that it doesn't have a removable battery, or an antenna. Why would you pay up to an unofficial amount of $500 for that mediocre phone? Jeez think about how quickly your battery will drain from running all those apps.

(BBM#33)
    Lol Blackberry sold 3 million phones total (z10, q10, bbos7) last quarter. But the n4 was a bust? Lol. Considering Google barely markets the nexus I'd say 3 million is okay. Also what phone on the market has a removable antenna?

Sent from the bat cave using CB forums
    10-08-13 09:23 AM
    Google to offer battery size options for Nexus 5, pricing leaked
    Robert Nazarian on Oct 8th 2013

Just like the Nexus 4, Google will offer two different versions of the Nexus 5, but storage size won’t be the only difference. You will still be able to buy either a 16GB or 32GB version, but each version could sport a different battery. The 2,300mAh battery that we saw in the leaked service manual will apparently be in the 16GB version, but the 32GB version will get a whopping 3,000mah cell.

Pricing is going to be similar to last year, but the larger battery in the 32GB version is going to bring a little higher premium. The 16GB version will go for $299 and the 32GB version will run $399 (last year $349). It’s still too much of a premium for the difference in capacity size, but I have no problem paying $50 more for a decent battery.
    Google to offer battery size options for Nexus 5, pricing leaked | TalkAndroid.com

If this holds out to be true, the 3,000 mAh battery/32 GB version for $399 (versus $700) is going to be a tough decision for consumers over the Z30
    10-08-13 09:24 AM
    You're right. Touchwiz is the biggest part of the problem.

Posted via CB10
    10-08-13 10:19 AM
224 ... 56789