Give it a week

Posted via CB10
    What will magically happen in a week? Since I have had it for more than a week, should I wait 2 or 3 weeks now?
    raysgrumpy and Berry_Pink like this.
    10-07-13 11:17 AM
    In fairness, Nexus 5 is vaporware at this point.

Let's wait until it is out, and we know the price... By that time, the price of the Z30 may be different too.
    10-07-13 11:36 AM
    In case you missed it, the leaked specs of the LG-built Google Nexus 5 is what I and many of us hoped for the Z30.

4.95-inch1080p IPS LCD
    Snapdragon 800 quad-core CPU (MSM8947) at 2.3GHz
    2GB RAM
    32GB storage
    Wireless charging
    8MPrear camera with OIS; 1.3MP front camera
    2300mAh battery
    Accelerometer; ambient light sensor; Compass; Gyroscope; Proximity; Pressure sensors
    HDMI out via Slimport
    Notification LED
    NFC; Bluetooth 3 (?); A-GPS; 802.11 b/g/n wifi

Of course the kicker is that this beauty will probably retail around $500.

It's definitely not easy remaining a loyal Crackberry-er sometimes.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    hi,

I don't have all the specs of the Z30 in mind, but what is better here than on the Z30?
    I see the 1080p definition indeed, the Qi wireless charging, and the pressure sensor (what's the use anyway I do not live in on the top of a mountain).
    Other than that, the Z30 is superior to the Nexus 5...

Who uses a 1.3M front facing camera today apart from budget smartphones (and the Nexus 5 ) ?
    10-07-13 11:44 AM
    the Z30 is superior to the Nexus 5...
    No, just no

Sent from the bat cave using CB forums
    10-07-13 11:58 AM
    In case you missed it, the leaked specs of the LG-built Google Nexus 5 is what I and many of us hoped for the Z30.

4.95-inch1080p IPS LCD
    Snapdragon 800 quad-core CPU (MSM8947) at 2.3GHz
    2GB RAM
    32GB storage
    Wireless charging
    8MPrear camera with OIS; 1.3MP front camera
    2300mAh battery
    Accelerometer; ambient light sensor; Compass; Gyroscope; Proximity; Pressure sensors
    HDMI out via Slimport
    Notification LED
    NFC; Bluetooth 3 (?); A-GPS; 802.11 b/g/n wifi

Of course the kicker is that this beauty will probably retail around $500.

It's definitely not easy remaining a loyal Crackberry-er sometimes.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    the Nexus 5 will no doubt be amazingly lagg-a-licious.
    10-07-13 12:09 PM
    Does anyone know anyone who has the LG G2? It's similar to the Nexus.
    Posted via CB10
    Let me preface this by saying I have a Q10 I use for work, my wife has the Z10, and I have an LG G2 as my personal device. The G2 is very sexy with its razor thin bezels. The screen is vibrant and gorgeous. The battery life is outstanding. It is a very smooth phone.* I purchased the G2, because I used an LG Nexus 4 for three weeks before sending it off to my mother and I enjoyed it, and, I have heard the N5 wont find its way to VZW.

*Can't put my finger on exactly what it is yet, but BB10 feels smoother to me as a whole. I notice it most with moving around icons or exiting a window, but I really don't know exactly what it is that I am sensing as smoother.

I just retired my Nexus 4 for a LG G2, it's crazy fast, no lag (hard to believe for some of you on here), has the nicest screen I've ever seen and the battery life is amazing. Being a heavy user, my N4 would last 12-16 hours, the G2 has lasted up to 36 hours so far. The camera takes amazing pics, definitely love this phone and highly recommend it.

The tiny bezels make the screen 5.2" (0.5" bigger than my Nexus) yet the overall size is barely bigger than the Nexus and smaller than the Z30.
    While I agree with many of your comments, I detect an air of exaggeration to them. I admit all use cases are different, but to say you are a heavy user and got 16 hours of battery life out of an N4 and claiming 36 hours on the G2 strikes me as a bit of an embellishment. I am 37 years old, not an internet junky, and got 12 hours on the N4. I get about 24 on the G2, including the time I am asleep. In both cases I was impressed. I am extremely happy with the G2 battery! But, a "heavy user" getting 36 hours of battery on the G2!?!

I have to ask you in all seriousness: In what way do you find the G2 "crazy fast"? In my experience Youtube videos load faster on the Z10 and Q10. The web browser on the Z10 and Q10 are a hair faster rendering pages, if anything, than the G2. Efficiency, which I could do a whole other post on, is SO much better on BB10.
    Examples: On my G2, if I take a screen shot I am not presented with the option to immediately share it, I have to go open the gallery. If I want to edit that screen shot before sending it I now have to go into a different application. How about sharing tweets via text message or email with a friend? My only option is to share a link to that tweet. I can't share the text or the content itself.
    You could have the fastest hardware in the world, but if you have to jump all over the place to complete a single task I would not call it "crazy fast".

Please don't think I am attacking the G2, I love many things about it. I am trying to understand in what way you think the G2 is "crazy fast". Do you mean in comparison to other Android phones that lag?

The back camera on the Nexus 5, if it's anything comparable to what the G2 has, will blow away the Z30 which IIRC has the same camera as the Z10 or very similar.
    I can't speak for the Z30 or the Nexus 5, but to say the Nexus 5 camera "will blow away the Z30" seems like unnecessary chest pounding, especially given the fact it is unlikely you have touched either of those two phones . My wife and I have repeatedly compared pictures on her Z10 and my G2. The color, contrast, and saturation are more to our liking on the Z10. The G2 definitely performs better in low light situations. The macro shots are identical. And, Z10 wins with action shots and group photos with its use of timeshift to correct and select the best shot available. All that said, the people with whom we share all of our photos have never once noticed a difference between the quality of our pictures. Never have they said, "Wow, what camera are you using? These pictures are amazing! They 'blow away' the pictures your wife sends us."
    anon(4086547) and Kevstra like this.
    10-07-13 12:11 PM
    Sure, buddy...

The Z10's images have worse white balance, sharpness and the focusing isn't as good or fast as Samsung, HTC, or Apple's devices. LG's latest flagships are almost on par with them. The Optimus G Pro's camera was better than the Z10's, easily.

I'm talking about how those images look on a PC or Television Screen. Not on a phone screen (which you should never judge image quality based on how it looks on a phone screen - cause different screens will show the image differently).

The Color Saturation and Sharpness from the Z10 camera is worse than an S3/4, One X/DNA, i5[C/S], or Optimus G Pro/G2.

The video recording was worse, and the sound in the recordings was worse than in Samsung devices (HTC is notorious for having comparatively poor audio in the video their devices record).

All these new devices are shipping with OIS as well. The Z10 did perform better in low light compared to cameras like the S3 due to Physics and Sensor Design, but that's about it.

Most phones do Macro shots well, so that's not anything to discuss.

Timeshift is a gimmick I want the picture as it happened not some hodge podge edited version of it.

I'm talking about image quality, image quality when viewed off of a smartphone screen - especially if you want to take an 8MP image and crop part of it out and still have that piece look very very good at 1:1 and not resized or compressed like images you send to Facebook or via MMS.

You may not notice the difference when posting a picture to Facebook, because they absolutely destroy the image (a 4MP image when Auto Synced to Facebook is like 250kb or sometimes even much less depending on what's in it), but on sites like Google+, Flickr, 500px, etc. where people will look at the full resolution the image quality difference can be dramatic.

That's how I determine image quality. Not showing someone a picture on a smartphone screen and asking them what it looks like. In that situation, most of those people would be hard pressed to even see the difference between a DSLR image and a smartphone camera image. It's just dumb to evaluate it that way.

Also, BB10's camera software is anemic and due to API limitations it is not really viable to side load a decent Android camera app onto a BB10 device and expect it to work...

---

On my S3 I can share my Screenshot from the Notification bar, and I'm sure GS4s and Note IIIs can do the same. You have options.

If I want a better camera, better camera software, better support for 3rd party services, etc. then I don't have a choice on BB10. Cause the stock apps are deficient, the app store is a joke, and the API limitations in the Android Player (even in 10.2) makes some of that impossible to do.
    Last edited by n8ter#AC; 10-07-13 at 12:45 PM.
    Donvald likes this.
    10-07-13 12:15 PM
    Good to know. Why did you choose the G2 over the HTC One or S4?

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 12:19 PM
    Let's look at the Nexus 5
    Pros:
    • CyanogenMOD will be available for extra privacy
    • Awesome MEMS camera
    • Price
    • All the apps you would ever need
    • Secure messaging options (S/mime, openVPN, tor, wickr, etc.)

Cons:
    • Remote unlocking/controlling by any US agency
    • Less battery life
    • PIM suite not as integrated as on BlackBerry
    • Multitasking can be a pain sometimes as some apps are not immediately available

Now let's look at the Z30
    Pros:
    • Amazing audio experience
    • Great multitasking
    • Powerful audio routing
    • Powerful Hub for quick access to all communications

Cons:
    • No secure messaging available out of the box
    • PIM suite slow and broken
    • Still expensive

I'm not talking about the screen as it will probably look roughly the same, nor do I talk about the CPU/GPU as both devices are powerful enough for day to day tasks.
    10-07-13 12:21 PM
    My LG G2 would beg to differ, its blazing fast with ZERO lag.
    If you know how and are interested in rooting but there will probably many Roms with stock Android out shortly for your G2. Plus when Android 4.4 comes out you should be able to find a Rom for that even though it may take a few months to more to show up.
    10-07-13 12:22 PM
    • Remote unlocking/controlling by any US agency
    Lol. FUD meter just exploded...

You can turn off Android device Manager, BTW...

WP and iOS has equivalent functionality. Google was actually years late to implementing that.
    Berry_Pink and Terser Nori like this.
    10-07-13 12:43 PM
    In fairness, Nexus 5 is vaporware at this point.

Let's wait until it is out, and we know the price... By that time, the price of the Z30 may be different too.
    This will be announced most likely on the 14th of this month so around a week from now.
    10-07-13 01:10 PM
    While I agree with many of your comments, I detect an air of exaggeration to them. I admit all use cases are different, but to say you are a heavy user and got 16 hours of battery life out of an N4 and claiming 36 hours on the G2 strikes me as a bit of an embellishment. I am 37 years old, not an internet junky, and got 12 hours on the N4. I get about 24 on the G2, including the time I am asleep. In both cases I was impressed. I am extremely happy with the G2 battery! But, a "heavy user" getting 36 hours of battery on the G2!?!

I have to ask you in all seriousness: In what way do you find the G2 "crazy fast"? In my experience Youtube videos load faster on the Z10 and Q10. The web browser on the Z10 and Q10 are a hair faster rendering pages, if anything, than the G2. Efficiency, which I could do a whole other post on, is SO much better on BB10.
    Please don't think I am attacking the G2, I love many things about it. I am trying to understand in what way you think the G2 is "crazy fast". Do you mean in comparison to other Android phones that lag?

Examples: On my G2, if I take a screen shot I am not presented with the option to immediately share it, I have to go open the gallery. If I want to edit that screen shot before sending it I now have to go into a different application. How about sharing tweets via text message or email with a friend? My only option is to share a link to that tweet. I can't share the text or the content itself.
    You could have the fastest hardware in the world, but if you have to jump all over the place to complete a single task I would not call it "crazy fast".
    Heavy user is subjective I guess, those numbers I stated were for an average day, obviously if I was playing hours and hours of games or videos those times would be lower (I could burn through the N4 in 4-6 hours if I was really pushing it). The same usage on my G2 has been great, even on heavier days, I will still get 24 hours easy, that's with at least 3-4 hours of screen time.

As for crazy fast, it zips around home screens, apps open up instantly and I haven't seen any stutters or lag, are you saying yours does?

Tip: To take a screen shot, use the QuickMemo app (drag the home button up and select it on the right), click the share button and all the apps with the share intents will be listed (mine shows 21 different apps).

What Twitter app are you using? I can share a tweet to a text message by clicking the share button inside the app (Falcon Pro, Plume and Twitter do this). You do know what the share button looks like right?

Z30 vs Nexus 5-sgozy.png
    Last edited by Hilman76; 10-07-13 at 01:54 PM.
    Donvald likes this.
    10-07-13 01:33 PM
    How about this,

Buying an expensive device with an outdated and lower spec. (not talking about the z30)... I'm just giving an instance.

In hardware, there is no way you can modify it on your own and at home...(except if you are an electronic person who can make phone, has the knowledge, and has the proper tools and machine for it)

But in software, thats a different story.

If you are smart enough, you should be already knowing what I'm trying to say.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 02:07 PM
    Any devices that run on Google Android must have higher spec. in order to run better because an Android software has millions of codes to compile in spite of BlackBerry BB10 has around 1000,000 or more codes to compile. Why BB10 software with low spec. but still run as fast as or faster than those with higher spec? Because BB10 is the most efficient software and very easy to operate based on my experience with all the platform I have used.
    Vanilla android runs smooth tbh on Nexus 4. I have noticed significant difference between a s4 and nexus 4.
    10-07-13 02:15 PM
    Tip: To take a screen shot, use the QuickMemo app (drag the home button up and select it on the right), click the share button and all the apps with the share intents will be listed (mine shows 21 different apps).

What Twitter app are you using? I can share a tweet to a text message by clicking the share button inside the app (Falcon Pro, Plume and Twitter do this). You do know what the share button looks like right?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	sgOzY.png 
Views:	427 
Size:	1.2 KB 
ID:	208614
    Thank you for the tip on QuickMemo and screen capture. I just tried it and that is MUCH better than just taking a screen cap with the power and volume down buttons. I still wish I could crop the image, though! I can't seem to copy and paste a tweet either. Can you? I always have to quote the tweet then copy and paste from that screen. Is there an easier way?

I use the "native"(?) twitter app developed by Twitter Inc. I cannot share the content of a tweet via text message, something I do all the time with my Q10. Can you using the native twitter app? It only allows me to send a link to the tweet.

Re:Lag. No, I don't have any lag. I also don't find it any faster than my Q10 or Z10, though. Certain apps open slowly (e.g. Feedly, Flixster, Netflix, GO SMS Pro). Some open very fast (e.g. Twitter). Depends on the app. The browser is a hair slower than my BB, but it is negligible unless I am running them side-by-side. Both are great experiences and easy to use. I just wouldn't classify any phone on the market as crazy fast. Unless you get a cheap phone they are all pretty much identical at this point. Suggesting this phone is any faster than a Q or Z, is misleading. That's why I felt it improtant to identify what you meant by your comment.

Tangential question: I HATE that when I leave the browser for a few minutes and then go back to it the pages refreshes. I was filling out a survey and lost some information. I though parking it in Slide Aside would keep it active, but it doesn't. Is there a way to make the browser behave more like it does on BB10? I just want it to stay how I left it and not refresh when I go back to it.
    10-07-13 02:32 PM
    I vote we switch this name to "Nexus 5 vs Z30" because it's the Nexus 5 that needs to catch up to the Z30, not vice versa
    10-07-13 02:58 PM
    Good to know. Why did you choose the G2 over the HTC One or S4?
    Posted via CB10
    Man, you nailed my choices, though you are missing the Moto X!

Ultimately, I chose the G2, because:
    • I was happy with the Nexus 4 (LG Device)
    • The thin bezels of the G2 were very appealing to me
    • The battery life was reported to be stellar
    • I liked the screen size, because in a way I was replacing my Playbook at the same time
    • I had wanted the Nexus 5, but every report suggests it's not coming to vzw
    • I had bad experiences with HTC Thunderbolt and many Samsung devices
    • The camera was rated better than the other devices and has OIS
    • The screen! (Both size and quality)
    • IR Blaster (I really wanted to control my TV with my phone. Always losing the remote)

I will say, imagined or real I felt the Nexus 4 was a little smoother than the G2. I loved the multitask button on vanilla Android, which the G2 does not have. I would have gone with the Moto X, as a result, but I was concerned about the low specs, camera, and resale value. That thing looks like a great BB replacement, though. I had to root the G2 and add different front touch buttons to get the same effect.

Overall, I am very happy with my choice. There are efficiencies in BlackBerry that the other OS's just don't have. What will be the "best" phone for you, will just depend on your uses of a phone. If you have been on BB for a long time I am guessing apps, gaming, and media consumption aren't that important to you. Function and communication probably are important. I can tell you right now, for me, I could not live with just the G2. I enjoy it tremendously when I am relaxing (catching up on twitter posts, flipping through my RSS feeds on Feedly [greatest app ever!], or watching a TED talk). When it comes to emails, texts, BBM (obviously), keeping my calendar appointments straight, or even sharing ANYTHING, I still prefer my BlackBerry. I just find example after example of how efficient it is (10.2 sharing is just GREAT! From predicting who I want to share with, to showing me what I am sharing, to providing the option to alter the image...all in one place. It's just outstanding!) That said, the G2 is an excellent, excellent companion device!!
    Last edited by Desconocido; 10-07-13 at 04:28 PM. Reason: Forgot IR Blaster, which was a big part of the decision.
    BerryWizard likes this.
    10-07-13 03:12 PM
    People actually use the native Twitter app lol, its horrible!! Plume is a great free option but like Falcon Pro the best (pay app).

I tested my different Twitter apps and the native Twitter app is the only one that won't paste the tweet into the native text app. Plume and Falcon Pro do, Twitter seems to be able to copy tweets to my other SMS apps like Handcent and Textra.
    10-07-13 04:02 PM
    The nexus 5 is not even in the same price range as the z30. It should be compared with the note 3.

Posted via CB10
    Terser Nori likes this.
    10-07-13 05:22 PM
    Man, you nailed my choices, though you are missing the Moto X!

Ultimately, I chose the G2, because:
    • I was happy with the Nexus 4 (LG Device)
    • The thin bezels of the G2 were very appealing to me
    • The battery life was reported to be stellar
    • I liked the screen size, because in a way I was replacing my Playbook at the same time
    • I had wanted the Nexus 5, but every report suggests it's not coming to vzw
    • I had bad experiences with HTC Thunderbolt and many Samsung devices
    • The camera was rated better than the other devices and has OIS
    • The screen! (Both size and quality)
    • IR Blaster (I really wanted to control my TV with my phone. Always losing the remote)

I will say, imagined or real I felt the Nexus 4 was a little smoother than the G2. I loved the multitask button on vanilla Android, which the G2 does not have. I would have gone with the Moto X, as a result, but I was concerned about the low specs, camera, and resale value. That thing looks like a great BB replacement, though. I had to root the G2 and add different front touch buttons to get the same effect.

Overall, I am very happy with my choice. There are efficiencies in BlackBerry that the other OS's just don't have. What will be the "best" phone for you, will just depend on your uses of a phone. If you have been on BB for a long time I am guessing apps, gaming, and media consumption aren't that important to you. Function and communication probably are important. I can tell you right now, for me, I could not live with just the G2. I enjoy it tremendously when I am relaxing (catching up on twitter posts, flipping through my RSS feeds on Feedly [greatest app ever!], or watching a TED talk). When it comes to emails, texts, BBM (obviously), keeping my calendar appointments straight, or even sharing ANYTHING, I still prefer my BlackBerry. I just find example after example of how efficient it is (10.2 sharing is just GREAT! From predicting who I want to share with, to showing me what I am sharing, to providing the option to alter the image...all in one place. It's just outstanding!) That said, the G2 is an excellent, excellent companion device!!
    Same for my z10 + nexus 4 ( soon to be note 3

Posted via CB10
    jakie55 likes this.
    10-07-13 05:26 PM
    Thanks for sharing Desconocido. I heard from someone recently that the Moto X is a solid phone. I don't know anyone that owns one though.

I did test 10.2 on my Z10 2 months ago but it was buggy and went back to 10.1. I think I'll wait until the official release. There were definitely a lot of improvements I can't wait to use again, especially copy/paste and Jellybean app support.

BlackBerry should advertise 10.2 everywhere so people hear about the benefits again.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 06:15 PM
    I have a N7 and love it.

Would never consider Android for a phone, but that's just me.

Posted via CB10
    Same here. I think the Nexus 7 tablet is brilliant and android is an excellent tablet OS. But I'm loathed to use it on a phone unless I really have to.

Posted via CB10
    10-07-13 06:34 PM
    My LG G2 would beg to differ, its blazing fast with ZERO lag.
    so would my jiayu g3s, 1gb ram 1.2ghz cpu 5 homescreens packed with widgets constantly updating, tasker running, app lock running, xposed skins and modules running, over 200 apps and zilch lag. same for my old g3 (same phone slightly older model) 1ghz 1gb ram although that one took 15 seconds to load up a very heavy launcher (TSF shell) on bootup but after that initial 15 seconds it was smooth as ever
    10-07-13 07:00 PM
    Same here. I think the Nexus 7 tablet is brilliant and android is an excellent tablet OS. But I'm loathed to use it on a phone unless I really have to.

Posted via CB10
    That makes no sense. If you like it as a "tablet" OS, how would you "loathe" it on a phone? The only difference is making phone calls.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using CB Forums mobile app
    10-07-13 07:09 PM
224 ... 45678 ...