I currently have a LG G2 android phone, and looking to make the switch to a Z30. I've tried a Z30 in a store, and tried to watch a stream from hockeystreams.com and it was really choppy. The first 2 seconds were fine and then it was unwatchable. Same stream works fine on an android or iphone. So are there any other browsers or any kind of tweaks that would allow smooth video playback?
    Second question, is VLC for android working on a Z30 with mkv and/or ac3 working?
    One of the main reasons I'm buying the phone is the hdmi port, but if video playback suffers then it's not worth it imo.
    01-15-14 07:42 AM
    This can sometimes happen with a flashplayer..... did the video open in the native media player? If not, just go full screen on the video and it should be fine. Also, make sure your carrier 3G is giving you decent bandwidth. get a speed test to be sure.
    01-15-14 07:51 AM
    I was on LTE, lots of bandwith. Video opened in the web browser. Tried full screen, tried pausing it for a few secs, no matter what I did it was choppy. Same webpage same video same connection was smooth on android...
    This can sometimes happen with a flashplayer..... did the video open in the native media player? If not, just go full screen on the video and it should be fine. Also, make sure your carrier 3G is giving you decent bandwidth. get a speed test to be sure.
    01-15-14 08:14 AM
    Haven't had any problems as yet, streaming on my Z30. Mostly just visiting network sites to view flash TV shows. The CTV website no longer works, but they have made some change lately, as it doesn't work on my PlayBook anymore either, and they just introduced some CTV Go app that is for Bell subscribers, so I assume they want money to watch.

As for VLC, it loaded fine with 10.2.1, but I've used Kalemsoft Media Player on my PlayBook since it came out, so I am using that on my Z30 as well. I'm running a beta version, but it's working fine with mkvs so I haven't had to re-encode. The developer has been quite responsive and has agreed to support OTG flash drive directories in the next update. I expect we'll see it show up in BlackBerry World shortly.

I too purchased the Z30 because of the HDMI port (it proved very useful with my PlayBook), but it also supports Miracast, which when I find a dongle for my TV will save me a few steps.
    01-15-14 10:18 AM
    Does this happen with all videos played in the browser?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 10:23 AM
    Yea vlc side loaded will play everything you can throw at it. No issues at all there

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    01-15-14 12:30 PM
    Awesome.... anyone got a link to download?

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 12:33 PM
    Awesome.... anyone got a link to download?

Posted via CB10
    VLC didn't work for me until I loaded 10.2.1. Once I did that, I just used the Snap Andoid search/installer to get VLC and a ton of other Android apps. You'll need to side load the Snap store first (similar to Aptoid or Amazon). After that, you can download and install apks right from Snap.
    http://redlightoflove.com/ota/Snap-latest.bar

01-15-14 01:45 PM