I have a back-up Q10 and am currently using a Z10 and I really like the text prediction/word substitution features in BB10. But the single greatest irritation for me is text substitution mistakes. At first I thought it was a software glitch, as if the Z10 were autonomously deciding to replace some words in emails, txts, etc., that I would send. But I realized it was instead my fault, as through a combination of ham-handedness and vision limitations, I was actually selecting the wrong substitue text. Even with my less-than-optimal vision, the Z10 white-on-black keyboard is fine, but the predicted text, in relatively low-contrast color (particulalry with the silver/grey frets as background, and very small font, too often induces me to select the wrong word as a substitute. These types of 'spellcheck' errors can be hard to spot, once made, because there is no misspelling and there is a general proofreading tendency for someone to project what they intend or expect to see into the text they're reviewing. I had hoped that BB10 would allow me to tweak the size, contrast or color for the predicted text, but this doesn't seem to be an option.

It is not a deal-breaker, and the benefits of text prediction/word substitution outweigh the irritation. I wonder if anyone has had similar difficulties, and if so, have they had a chance to try out the Z30. It's not a hugely larger screen or keyboard than the Z10, but it might be just enough to avoid such errors.
    11-02-13 12:40 PM
    A couple things to point out to you, which may or may not be of interest.

While 4.2" & 5.0" sound pretty close, this is a diagonal measurement. The Z30's display it almost 40% larger than the Z10's in actual surface area.
    Reduced bezels around the screen make the Z30 only 18% larger than the Z10 however.

Now I know you're mentioning not seeing the autotext errors before sending, but when you do catch one here's what to do:
    Swipe back!
    You probably know you can delete the previous word by swiping right to left somewhere on the virtual keyboard. But many people don't know that after an autocorrect this swipe will reverse the correction instead of deleting the word.
    Double-tapping the backspace key also works but I love the swipe!

If you correct the mistaken autocorrect in such a way, the OS will eventually learn more about how you type and which letters you meant to hit. Going back and editing by placing cursor fixes the problem obviously, but doesn't teach the device anything. It will still "think" it made the right substitution.
    mmcpher likes this.
    11-02-13 02:33 PM
    Not sure if it would help at all, but have you tried switching the keyboard prediction to display 'In-Column' instead of 'In-Letter'. They show at the top of the keyboard instead of amongst the keyboard frets/keys.
    mmcpher likes this.
    11-02-13 02:37 PM
    Your reply is of definate interest to me.

"While 4.2" & 5.0" sound pretty close, this is a diagonal measurement. The Z30's display it almost 40% larger than the Z10's in actual surface area. Reduced bezels around the screen make the Z30 only 18% larger than the Z10 however."

So half of the increased screen size is dedicated to a larger bezel for the Z30? At any rate, my sense is that even a slightly larger keyboard/screen may help.

I have used the swipe back when I've caught a selection error. This will likely be of no interest to anyone, but FWIW, these selection errors have their root in the way I drafted things way back, before so much of our business and social correspondence became so quick and instantaneous. When drafting for work, I tried not to correct as I typed, as that was supposed to slow you down. So you'd draft a few paragraphs or pages and before saving the draft, you would go back and progress through the spelling errors, which would be uderlined and prompted, and correct in chronological order, and it became part of proofreading, not just for spelling, but for proper word usage. Even after that process, which sometimes would be done repeatedly on route to a final draft, I would go to the bother of printing out for a final review before publishing. Many spellcheck errors were identified and corrected through this process, and it also allowed you to polish the piece up, for tone, tense, flow, etc.

Even after Blackberries became, really, really smart, for a long time I very rarely posted anything directly from my phone. But with Tapatalk and the CB mobile app, I do a lot more posting here and on discussion lists through email. So I post something on a list and a few minutes later I get it back as part of the email to the discussion list, and out of old habit I sometimes check for errors. Ugh. This is a generational thing, and something specific to my line of work. People younger than me, who grew up with a smartphone in their hands, type on the fly much better, and never seem to look back anyway. But it would be nice to be able to tweak the text prediction font settings.
    11-02-13 03:29 PM
    Not sure if it would help at all, but have you tried switching the keyboard prediction to display 'In-Column' instead of 'In-Letter'. They show at the top of the keyboard instead of amongst the keyboard frets/keys.
    I did have it set to 'In-Letter' and have switched to 'In-Column'. Thanks for the good suggestion!
    AnimalPak200 likes this.
    11-02-13 03:30 PM
    So I post something on a list and a few minutes later I get it back as part of the email to the discussion list, and out of old habit I sometimes check for errors. Ugh. This is a generational thing, and something specific to my line of work. People younger than me, who grew up with a smartphone in their hands, type on the fly much better, and never seem to look back anyway. But it would be nice to be able to tweak the text prediction font settings.
    I sure do hope (against hope) that this isn't a 'generational thing' that has been lost on 'my' generation (although I've just entered my 30s). Maybe it's due to the fact that most of my work consists of officially-printed and mailed communication. I have trouble balancing the 'quick to reply' nature of internet forum posts/comments, with maintaining some basic level of correctness. Often this means that I read my text over a couple of times, hit 'post' and then invariably notice another error. I then scramble to the 'edit' button in hopes that no one will read them, or worse--quote them into internet eternity! But I agree, it's definitely not what the 'cool kids' are doing nowadays.
    11-02-13 04:38 PM
    But I agree, it's definitely not what the 'cool kids' are doing nowadays.
    I am guilty of using the edit function too! And I'm guilty of revealing my inner scold in my post. But I wasn't being critical of the way younger generations (and I have one on you) post. The fact is that when I'm reading threads or texts, I don't notice errors in other people's writing. Even when I am attempting to respond critically to something I disagree with on a substantive basis, I don't consciously look for or see spelling or gramatical errors in other people's posts. Its the same alaphabet, but in subtle ways this form of communication is different than what has gone before and we become conditioned to it. With the exception of Twitter. . . . Just kidding. . . . Sort of.
    11-02-13 06:50 PM