I can't believe how many people are still caught up in the specs of the A10 as a person who repairs phones I can say without a doubt that your hardware specs don't mean crap if your OS is junk try testing a quad core nexus by LG next to a iPhone 4s with a dual core both phones running the latest os and you will see what I mean

Posted via CB10
    07-27-13 09:38 AM
    Assuming you are a market leader, and have already an established presence like Apple. BlackBerry doesn't have that, and as a result need a ground breaker to grab people's attention.

Posted via CB10
    enizz likes this.
    07-27-13 09:50 AM
    I can't believe how many people are still caught up in the specs of the A10 as a person who repairs phones I can say without a doubt that your hardware specs don't mean crap if your OS is junk try testing a quad core nexus by LG next to a iPhone 4s with a dual core both phones running the latest os and you will see what I mean

Posted via CB10
    I think it's going to come down to price. You pay for what you get. If BB can price this properly and not go over the top then I think the A10 will sell well. My z10 performs really well with the current specs and I've come from world where I used to upgrade my MS PC all the time to get the best performing pc out there for gaming, etc.. with mobile, at least for me, it is different. If I could get it all I would .. but in this market right now you can't. Higher performing specs in general will drain your battery faster, for all other purposes the speed differences is minimal - my z10 gives me 60 fps (max. framerates on a lcd monitor) and provides me enough HD on a small screen; portability is also another factor for me since the phone is mobile and it the right size for me to carry, type with one thumb or two, and its an awesome communication device. The A10 should be great for others looking for a bigger screen but not adversely affecting the battery and overall performance.. the z10 right now is best for me.

What BB needs to do here is get those sales reps and marketing guys to convince consumers that using THEIR device, you don't have to pay more for higher specs because it doesn't really matter because BB10 is simply that good.
    j21jam6 and Otech#CB like this.
    07-27-13 09:53 AM
    What BB needs to do here is get those sales reps and marketing guys to convince consumers that using THEIR device, you don't have to pay more for higher specs because it doesn't really matter because BB10 is simply that good.
    This is what everyone says about their platform. It isn't about getting the sale people to push people toward a specific OS. What you hope is the the sale people can be trained well enough to know what phones fit what people based on needs and wants. Most of the time, the problem is that the person knows nothing about a device and therefore doesn't talk about it or talks bad about it.
    07-27-13 09:59 AM
    This is what everyone says about their platform. It isn't about getting the sale people to push people toward a specific OS. What you hope is the the sale people can be trained well enough to know what phones fit what people based on needs and wants. Most of the time, the problem is that the person knows nothing about a device and therefore doesn't talk about it or talks bad about it.
    Agreed and the problem with specs is that no one questions their value. A 13mp can perform terribly or on par compared to 8mp - just because you have more megapixels doesn't mean better. Same with a faster CPU/GPU.. if you have an inefficent OS, this may gain you nothing. There are more examples I can give.. but when the unknowing and undecided customer comes through the door .. these values need to be explained and demonstrated. For most people, the value is the cost first, for everything else it's just "show me I'm getting a great deal for the price".
    Last edited by lynxs_claw; 07-29-13 at 05:59 PM.
    h20work and Harley Kid like this.
    07-27-13 10:07 AM

Posted via CB10
    So does the Z10 run as smoot as the iphone 4s? No therefore need more cpu power. Don't say there is no lag because there is sometimes. and I'd rather not make a video to prove it
    07-27-13 12:04 PM
    So does the Z10 run as smoot as the iphone 4s? No therefore need more cpu power. Don't say there is no lag because there is sometimes. and I'd rather not make a video to prove it
    Please make your video. The only time I've got lag on my z10 is when it trying to pull down stuff fast from the net when I'm quickly scrolling down through the screen .. same with what I've seen on my friend's iPhone 5 and my kid's latest I pod touch 5th generation version over wifi. Other than it doesn't get any faster

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    akabbani, j21jam6 and G-bone like this.
    07-27-13 12:37 PM
    go to xda forums and zoom in and out. Open 4-5 apps that use active frames and scroll back and forth between the hub,frames and app drawer fast. Play a video in fasttube then do the peek gesture, frame rate drops. Scroll down a big list in blackberry hub fast. There's more examples but it is not 100% lag free like some people like to believe. As a casual gamer, I notice frame rate drops quite easily. My point is more cpu power is beneficial to BB10 afte seeing these scenarios where lag does exist. If you don't do a lot of cpu intensive tasks or use your phone slow then you won't see many of my issues.
    07-27-13 12:41 PM
    Please make your video. The only time I've got lag on my z10 is when it trying to pull down stuff fast from the net when I'm quickly scrolling down through the screen .. same with what I've seen on my friend's iPhone 5 and my kid's latest I pod touch 5th generation version over wifi. Other than it doesn't get any faster

Try deleting a lot of things at once. That is the easiest way to make BB10 lag that I've found.

I selected a dozen or so photos and delete all of them at once and both my Dev Alpha C and LEZ10 noticeably lags. The spots where the deleted photos used to be become black, and the screen becomes unresponsive for a few seconds while the remaining photos slowly move into the spaces that were occupied by the deleted photos.

I've experienced the same type of lag while deleting several emails in the hub at once. Select a bunch of emails and delete them. The selection highlights will disappear, but the deleted emails remain for a few seconds while they are slowly removed and the remaining emails take their spots. At first, it looks like the emails you wanted to delete won't be deleted, but it is just the lag.

I've also encountered UI lag, mostly when minimizing an app and returning to the active panels frame.

Typed on my Dev Alpha C, Posted Via CB10
    Blacklatino likes this.
    07-27-13 02:00 PM
    My goodness, is there any such thing as perfect mobile device? All a lot of you guys do is complain. BB10 is still a very young platform and naturally it will take some time to iron out the "wrinkles " or bugs.
    Definitely any thing (appliances, machines, computers etc) and yes including BB10 that gets overloaded will not perform efficiently. Your BB10 will definitely lag if you trying to delete a whole lot of things at once.
    My iPad (new) lags when it's updating many apps simultaneously.

Posted via CB10
    LWKING, DJM626 and G-bone like this.
    07-27-13 09:44 PM
    Problem is when you have an OS that is touted as a good multitasking system, having 2 cores on A10 is going to show that it's not enough to keep everything running smoothly when the Z10 can't. I doubt it will be smooth one day on dual cores; sometimes you just can't overcome the lack of cpu power. Knowing the A10 could have had quad core as every android flagship device kinda hurts especially when it will come out 9-11 months after the Z10. I'm getting anxious to see BB10 on a quad core cpu, one day one day.
    wtrmlnjuc and Blacklatino like this.
    07-27-13 11:16 PM
    And how well does the A10 run on a quad-core? Oh, right. None of us know. In fact, none of us really know how well the dual-core chip runs either. Lets wait and see how the damn thing actually runs before we judge.

Im sure BB has tested many processors, and for all we know a quad-core chip may have been a marginal improvement in speed. Or, it may have brought a major bump in speed with a corresponding major bump in heat, power consumption and cost. Either way, building a phone is not as simple as going to the electronics store and picking components off the shelf.

Everyone around here is so quick to say the A10 needs this processor, and X amount of RAM, etc etc. Sometimes the final product is greater than the some of its parts. But the reality is that we all need to chill and see what the damn thing actually is and how it runs before we go too crazy about it - one way or the other.
    akabbani, G-bone and Cesare21 like this.
    07-27-13 11:24 PM
    And how well does the A10 run on a quad-core? Oh, right. None of us know. In fact, none of us really know how well the dual-core chip runs either. Lets wait and see how the damn thing actually runs before we judge.
    You can assume none of us has tried said phone especially when N4BB was able to get a first impression in person

Boosting clock speeds alone isn't the answer, see other phones.
    07-28-13 12:21 AM

Posted via CB10
    you have a point, but your missing the bigger picture. lets say a dual core works just as well as a quad core given the current OS, then theres no need to go bigger than whats currently ok right? have a look at how that worked out for RAM on the PlayBook. spoiler alert, it ended with lots of upset people and broken promises of updates.

Personally I don't think BB10 needs quad core as it stands (although what it may need to run android 4.2.2 as well is something we don't know yet) but that leaves out chance for the better more multi core using stuff that may come along later in the products life.

Im not saying you should `future proof` it, as its a tech item so that's impossible, but if your gonna put mid range components in a device, don't expect me to pay more than any other mid range price.
    Blacklatino and wtrmlnjuc like this.
    07-28-13 01:12 AM
    go to xda forums and zoom in and out. Open 4-5 apps that use active frames and scroll back and forth between the hub,frames and app drawer fast. Play a video in fasttube then do the peek gesture, frame rate drops. Scroll down a big list in blackberry hub fast. There's more examples but it is not 100% lag free like some people like to believe. As a casual gamer, I notice frame rate drops quite easily. My point is more cpu power is beneficial to BB10 afte seeing these scenarios where lag does exist. If you don't do a lot of cpu intensive tasks or use your phone slow then you won't see many of my issues.
    Sorry it took so long to post. Again, I'm going to maintain that you will get lag on a z10 if it has to wait for anything network related (see my previous post) - not driven by cpu or gpu specs. For me the z10 is really good enough considering I want the best battery life as possible. I have a few work colleagues on iphones and they all agree that the battery life on their iphone sucks and I get easily a day out of my z10 and we all utilize the phones in the same way throughout the day.

Here's my video.. as you can see I'm really happy with my z10 and coupled with the very good battery life. I'm very and pleasantly impressed. Please feel free to comment.

Last edited by lynxs_claw; 07-28-13 at 02:44 PM. Reason: Uploaded higher rez video
    07-28-13 12:55 PM
    it does really...slightly higher clocked CPU, noticeable upgrade GPU, lower screen PPI, slightly upgrade camera. It's like "compensation theorem ". They give us something better, they reduce something for worse. Very underwhelmed 5" inches flagship. I was very excited when A10 first leaked but then the specs leaked out and i lost my hope of getting the A10. Z10 has decent specs comparable to other devices when it came out but it can't be like this with A10. Because A10 seems to be the second gen of BB10 phones
    wtrmlnjuc likes this.
    07-28-13 01:04 PM
    Specs do matter when it comes to pricing (Apple being the exception where you are buying a name and superior support). If they price this phone the same as the GS4 it will only sell to fewer BlackBerry die hards than the Z10 did. If you use cheaper parts, you should come in at a cheaper price especially since the name BlackBerry is garbage at the moment.

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 01:13 PM
    Weird, I've seen many iPhone 5's that don't work any better than my Zed. Why even compare to the 4s?

Posted via CB10
    07-28-13 01:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Oh contraire!

It does matter, a great deal, when BB tries to sell me the Z10 with its midrange specs for the princely sum of �500, i.e. the equivalent price of a Galaxy S4.
    07-28-13 02:44 PM
    Oh contraire!

It does matter, a great deal, when BB tries to sell me the Z10 with its midrange specs for the princely sum of �500, i.e. the equivalent price of a Galaxy S4.
    I agree.. it should be priced below the higher ended spec phones... less specs .. less cost .. more savings for me the consumer. The added performance you get using QNX vs. Android should be a bonus to me and a plus to getting a BB. Make a reasonable profit BB and get the phones into everyones hands.
    bekkay and Cesare21 like this.
    07-28-13 02:49 PM
    So I took the time to post the challenge I asked for to show how laggy the z10 is.. which of course it is not. I would like to get a response from the naysayers.

Bottomline, right now, we use mobile phones and their requirements are limited. I'm not using it for any extensive computer modelling, heavy engineering numerical calculations and heavy app to app multitasking. So I ask again, what is the purpose of sup'd up specs if my phone is already fast enough for the phone's capabilities; if the screen resolution on a small screen and ppi is pretty undetectable by the naked eye and if the camera already takes great pictures at an acceptable resolution (again to the naked eye). If it sacrifices battery, for a mobile portable device, then increase in specs is simply not worth it.
    The only issue is how to get this message out to the uninformed.

Last edited by lynxs_claw; 07-28-13 at 08:01 PM.
    07-28-13 07:16 PM

Posted via CB10
    Lol. Is this a joke? I know people who have the Nexus and it runs super smooth. Just as smooth if not smoother than the Z10. All while containing more stock features and customization.

I also have a Galaxy Nexus which runs just as well as my Z10 stock, and better with a ROM.

BlackBerry can't afford to put out less. They need to put out MORE for LESS. They are in a hole, Apple and Google aren't.
    wtrmlnjuc likes this.
    07-28-13 07:22 PM
    if specs don't matter than PlayBook should be getting BB10.
    howarmat and h20work like this.
    07-28-13 08:14 PM
    Sorry it took so long to post. Again, I'm going to maintain that you will get lag on a z10 if it has to wait for anything network related (see my previous post) - not driven by cpu or gpu specs. For me the z10 is really good enough considering I want the best battery life as possible. I have a few work colleagues on iphones and they all agree that the battery life on their iphone sucks and I get easily a day out of my z10 and we all utilize the phones in the same way throughout the day.

Here's my video.. as you can see I'm really happy with my z10 and coupled with the very good battery life. I'm very and pleasantly impressed. Please feel free to comment.

Why isn't your hub working????
    07-28-13 08:22 PM
    So I took the time to post the challenge I asked for to show how laggy the z10 is.. which of course it is not. I would like to get a response from the naysayers.

Bottomline, right now, we use mobile phones and their requirements are limited. I'm not using it for any extensive computer modelling, heavy engineering numerical calculations and heavy app to app multitasking. So I ask again, what is the purpose of sup'd up specs if my phone is already fast enough for the phone's capabilities; if the screen resolution on a small screen and ppi is pretty undetectable by the naked eye and if the camera already takes great pictures at an acceptable resolution (again to the naked eye). If it sacrifices battery, for a mobile portable device, then increase in specs is simply not worth it.
    The only issue is how to get this message out to the uninformed.

3rd time I've said this. BlackBerry has done more to prove that specs matter than anyone else.

No legacy devices can run bb10
    Pb can't run bb10
    No legacy devices could run bb7
    2 (?) devices were able to upgrade from bb5 to bb6.

2gb is the minimum to run bb10.
    bekkay likes this.
    07-28-13 08:26 PM
70 123