Alright, noticed this while using the phone at low volumes. The speakers make an audible static hiss while playing audio. That's whether it be in a game, a youtube video, or a song from my own library.

I noticed it first with the candy crush clone, and with some other older but high end games. But I attributed that to the mono vs stereo speakers, as I came from a Q10. Just noticed it again in a youtube video. So now I've been testing all sorts of audio, and it's always there. Any ideas? It's expecially noticeable in Pastry Push. I'm at lvl 4 volume.

I made another thread about having a non-flush construction, so I'm wondering if I've just gotten a lemon. Thanks for your thoughts. Could it be a blown speaker? Phone came in this afternoon, and I tested the speakers at the loudest volume, but nothing I haven't done with the same songs on my q10 without issue.
    04-04-14 11:04 PM
    I don't exactly hear static, but I do hear a slight 'hiss' sound whenever the speaker is activated and a few seconds after the music/tone finishes. Luckily I can't notice it while the actual intended media audio is playing, but it is definitely there.
    04-04-14 11:10 PM
    I don't exactly hear static, but I do hear a slight 'hiss' sound whenever the speaker is activated and a few seconds after the music/tone finishes. Luckily I can't notice it while the actual intended media audio is playing, but it is definitely there.
    Thanks for the reply. Only really applicable when using the phone in bed, I guess, but still disheartening.

Edit: the worst I've found is a youtube video where someone is reviewing a phone. Pure static on the Z30, way worse than most media. But it's completely clear on the Q10. Video is:

Watch this video.
    Shared using FastTube BlackBerry 10 app!

Not trying to advertise the GS5. A phone I would never buy in a million years--tasteless phones imo. I have a Z30 and a Q10 on my stomach. I'm a BlackBerry user for as long as they'll make phones. The video is a regrettable choice, maybe, but I'm too tired to find one that'll provide a better example/test constant if you guys want to let me know how your speakers fare at 1-4.
    Last edited by deadcowboy; 04-04-14 at 11:24 PM.
    04-04-14 11:11 PM
    I've noticed it also on my Z30 (Verizon). My Z10 (AT&T) was fine, but of course it uses a different speaker setup. The STA100-5 variant I got from Best Buy had the same problem, but far less noticeable then on the STA100-3 from Verizon. I do have two Z30's from Verizon, and both suffer from the same problem. It is more noticeable on lower volume ranges, and plain narration with no background sounds. Not that noticeable on higher volume ranges. Makes me wonder if there is something different about the Verizon STA100-3 model that makes this problem more active than on the STA100-5 model used by the Canadian carriers. Still the best BlackBerry I've ever used, and continue to use regardless of the problem. Even with the static, media is so much more enjoyable than on my Z10, and far better than my iPhone 4S.

Posted via CB10
    04-04-14 11:42 PM
    I have the same issue. Bell Z30STA100-5/10.2.1.2228. I noticed it a few days ago too when listening to something at really low volume (1-2 step).

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 12:02 AM
    Why has this not been noted before, as it appears to be a universal issue? It's a major drawback for me.
    04-05-14 12:06 PM
    Why has this not been noted before, as it appears to be a universal issue? It's a major drawback for me.
    I'm not sure. This rarely factors in for me as I'm never really listening to anything at such low volume. If I need something so quiet I usually go after headphones. I do agree though that this should have been reported and, if possible, addressed through software.

Posted via CB10
    04-05-14 01:32 PM
    I just got a z30 yesterday and it also has a hiss...

Sta100-3
    Verizon
    05-09-14 08:21 PM