Hi guys,
    I'm an android user for the last 3 years but I'm thinking to go for a Blackberry Z30. Someone managed to steal my personal data while I was surfing online via WiFi using the native android browser. I asked a PC technician and he told me that it's easy for a linux expert to steal one's personal data while he is online with an android smartphone and he suggested me Blackberry. Does anybody know if this is true? I mean surfing the internet using the native BB10 browser of a Z30 is more secure than android? Can an expert hack my Blackberry while I'm online via WiFi and steal my personal data (name, e-mail account, social media account etc.)?
    Thank you very much!
    10-06-13 08:58 AM
    It's not hacking your mobile device, it's sniffing packets.

The Z30 doesn't encrypt browser streams. Neither do any of the other BlackBerry models and neither does iOS and Android.
    If you're going to connect to an unsecure public WIFI, then you should be aware that anyone connected to that network can use a freely avaialble packet sniffing tool to see what you're up to on unsecure sites.

If you're surfing through your own WIFI installation then secure/encrypt it with WPA2 or at the very least WPA (be sure to disable WPS as it's a security loophole)
    If you're surfing on a public WIFI network then the only thing you can do to prevent from being hacked is use a VPN service.

Some interesting reading:
    Public WiFi Security Tips | Wireless Security Tips | Kaspersky Lab US | Kaspersky Lab US
    10-06-13 09:19 AM
    Hi guys,
    I'm an android user for the last 3 years but I'm thinking to go for a Blackberry Z30. Someone managed to steal my personal data while I was surfing online via WiFi using the native android browser. I asked a PC technician and he told me that it's easy for a linux expert to steal one's personal data while he is online with an android smartphone and he suggested me Blackberry. Does anybody know if this is true? I mean surfing the internet using the native BB10 browser of a Z30 is more secure than android? Can an expert hack my Blackberry while I'm online via WiFi and steal my personal data (name, e-mail account, social media account etc.)?
    Thank you very much!
    Hi!!!! Welcome to CB!!!

You haven't given us enough information to give us a thorough response.

The browser is not the defining factor, the issue may be the WiFi. Are you using an unsecured WiFi? Also, did you upload apps to your Android independent of the Play Store or from an unstrustworthy source?

In other words, it's not the browser in itself is not the weakness if you were using a current browser. If you had been using an unpatched or outdated Android browser then that would have put you at risk, same as if you had not installed security updates on your computer. What phone were you using? Some of the older versions of Android devices are so old that they may not be able to be patched anymore, same as using a Windows 95 PC.

The browser on current BB10 devices is for all intents and purposes no different than any other browser. The rules of safe computing apply just as much as they do on BlackBerry as they on Android.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    10-06-13 09:21 AM
    Thank you for your answers. I'm sorry but my english is not very fluent. I was using my android smartphone (a rooted HTC) while I was connected to my home WiFi network which by the way is AES encrypted. I participated in a forum discussion (like this one) and after a while an expert user posted my name and my e-mail account in a public post. The PC technician I asked told me that rooted android devices have numerous security gaps and that it's easy for an expert to "copy" personal data while you 're online. That's why I'm trying to find something more secure. If the native blackberry 10.2 browser of a Z30 has nothing more to offer as far as online security concerned, then there is no reason to buy one. But if it is safer, then I'll go for it. Thanks again.
    10-06-13 09:40 AM
    Hi!!!! Welcome to CB!!!

You haven't given us enough information to give us a thorough response.

The browser is not the defining factor, the issue may be the WiFi. Are you using an unsecured WiFi? Also, did you upload apps to your Android independent of the Play Store or from an unstrustworthy source?

In other words, it's not the browser in itself is not the weakness if you were using a current browser. If you had been using an unpatched or outdated Android browser then that would have put you at risk, same as if you had not installed security updates on your computer. What phone were you using? Some of the older versions of Android devices are so old that they may not be able to be patched anymore, same as using a Windows 95 PC.

The browser on current BB10 devices is for all intents and purposes no different than any other browser. The rules of safe computing apply just as much as they do on BlackBerry as they on Android.
    You gotta love her answers! I have learned so much from you on here, and personally want to thank you for all of the knowledge that you share about all platforms
    10-06-13 09:47 AM
    Thank you for your answers. I'm sorry but my english is not very fluent. I was using my android smartphone (a rooted HTC) while I was connected to my home WiFi network which by the way is AES encrypted. I participated in a forum discussion (like this one) and after a while an expert user posted my name and my e-mail account in a public post. The PC technician I asked told me that rooted android devices have numerous security gaps and that it's easy for an expert to "copy" personal data while you 're online. That's why I'm trying to find something more secure. If the native blackberry 10.2 browser of a Z30 has nothing more to offer as far as online security concerned, then there is no reason to buy one. But if it is safer, then I'll go for it. Thanks again.
    Your English is fine!!! Not a problem with it.

A rooted Android device may be more vulnerable to malware. Additionally your personal information was made public in a public forum. Did you load apps by means other than the Play Store? Did you know the source of those apps? These are things that come into play.

I have run an Atrix, a Skyrocket, and an SGIII. I had two instances of phishing scams on my Atrix, back in 2010, on Gingerbread. I have run a Samsung SGII Skyrocket and a Samsung SGIII with no problems, so it's not so much the browser as the way in which you use your phone.

Try the Z30 if you like. The browser is not the issue. If you use the Z30 judiciously, do not let out personal information such as your name and email address, load apps from BlackBerry World, and maintain safe practices, you will be fine.

The same can be said of any device. The critical piece is the user.
    thouvou13 and Laura Knotek like this.
    10-06-13 09:53 AM
    You gotta love her answers! I have learned so much from you on here, and personally want to thank you for all of the knowledge that you share about all platforms
    Oh WOW thank you!!! that was very sweet.....I appreciate it.
    10-06-13 09:54 AM
    I have never given out my personal data on the net. That's why that incident was strange. But to be honest I never used my smartphone wisely. I rooted it, stuck with gingerbread and loaded many third party apps that had nothing to do with Google Play. My first thought was that android as an open source OS based on linux and the browser of my custom ROM were responsible for that "leak". The PC technician told me that BB10 is a closed source OS and that if I keep up with the updates I will have no such problem in the future. Anyway, I think I'm gonna turn to Blackberry and Z30. Thank you for your time and detailed answer.
    10-06-13 10:10 AM
    I have never given out my personal data on the net. That's why that incident was strange. But to be honest I never used my smartphone wisely. I rooted it, stuck with gingerbread and loaded many third party apps that had nothing to do with Google Play. My first thought was that android as an open source OS based on linux and the browser of my custom ROM were responsible for that "leak". The PC technician told me that BB10 is a closed source OS and that if I keep up with the updates I will have no such problem in the future. Anyway, I think I'm gonna turn to Blackberry and Z30. Thank you for your time and detailed answer.
    That's good!!! We all learn as we go along.
    10-06-13 10:21 AM
    I would say no phone OS is inherently secure. Now that said I know for sure that it is was easier and way more efficient to make and use BB10 more securely than any other OS

Posted via CB10 via My Q10
    10-06-13 10:29 AM
    I was using my android smartphone (a rooted HTC) while I was connected to my home WiFi network which by the way is AES encrypted. I participated in a forum discussion (like this one) and after a while an expert user posted my name and my e-mail account in a public post. The PC technician I asked told me that rooted android devices have numerous security gaps and that it's easy for an expert to "copy" personal data while you 're online.
    AES encryption is reasonably secure against interception in the WiFi component. However with a rooted device you have loaded up "software" from a source you have no explicit reason to trust (manufacturer, etc) and probably downloaded from an equally unverifiable source. That is a potential source of risk but I don't think it was responsible in this case for disclosing your details.

The clue is in where you were browsing, and that your details were published in the same forum. That ties any security breach directly to the forum where disclosure occurred - anyone attacking in the internet links between your device and the forum's server would be unlikely to go to the forum and publish your details, so I suspect one of these possible routes:
    (a) The forum has a security breach which allows some other users to access the sign-up and login details of other members. We know some forum software is vulnerable to such attacks, we had an attempt here at CrackBerry to exploit a bug in some versions of the software and create rogue administrator accounts which would have given the attacker access to all member details. Fortunately we have multi-layer security and the attack failed.
    (b) The forum member who posted your data could have moderator or administrator permissions in the forum, either officially or by route (a), and has misused confidential information.
    (c) You may have posted enough information online for your details to be found by a google search against your user name or other information you have disclosed in public forum posts. This is a particular risk if you have ever signed in on sites which you wouldn't want your children to visit

Regardless of the route it is unacceptable for one member to publish personal information about another member, and you should consider a formal complaint to the forum's administrator.

That's why I'm trying to find something more secure. If the native blackberry 10.2 browser of a Z30 has nothing more to offer as far as online security concerned, then there is no reason to buy one. But if it is safer, then I'll go for it. Thanks again.
    I don't think any current browser is significantly more secure than others if you ignore the rules of safe computing
    Laura Knotek and PygmySurfer like this.
    10-06-13 10:32 AM
    This "PC Technician" is useless. There's nothing here suggesting they obtained any data from your phone. I assume you use the same username on many websites (a quick Google search shows 7 pages for "thouvou13" - I think it's more likely your account on one of those sites was compromised, and the user was able to obtain the data that way. Do you use the same password everywhere? If so, they could have obtained your password (sites get compromised and passwords dumped online all the time now), and used it to log in to other sites you frequent, eventually finding one with your information. I think it's highly unlikely they got this data from your cell phone.

EDIT: The post above mine does a better job of explaining it than I did. Kudos
    10-06-13 11:39 AM
    Other than this particular issue of hacking with reference to browser,BB has an advantage of secure mailing and data protection ,as all of us know QNX still is working for one of the most sensitive and important processes including proper functioning of Nuclear reactors
    wincyUt likes this.
    10-06-13 12:20 PM