So I got my Z30 it is my first OLED device.

I hate the screen.

Other than the fact it has the PWM strobe effect at low brightness (wave your fingers in front of it you'll see what I mean especially in dark rooms), in bright light even outdoors the screen is dim.

I have an iPhone 4S and the screen at 85% on it is 100% brighter than the Z30 at maximum.

The Z30 seems to be a nice device but the screen is just so dark. I did some reading and this is apparently on purpose.

Does 10.3 have a bit brighter setting? 10.2 is what is on the device at the moment.
    12-05-14 10:14 AM
    Would you like long battery life, or a really bright screen? Can't have everything; where would you put it?

Richard
    12-05-14 10:30 AM
    Lol. It's really not that dark mine is below half brightness and I'm see it quite well

Posted via My Gorgeous white Z30
    bungaboy and jaydee5799 like this.
    12-05-14 10:38 AM
    Mines at the lowest brightness settings and its fine with me. It looks bright at dark
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-05-14 11:17 AM
    Mine is at 50% and it's perfect for me

Posted via CB10 on my white Z30
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-05-14 12:06 PM
    I like the amoled screen. I have the brightness all the way down and have no issues. I prefer it over my Z10 screen.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-05-14 12:08 PM
    I think we BlackBerry 10 users are used to lower brightness screen. Coming from iphones and android you will definitely have some problem with it, but with time you will get used to it maybe even at the point to complete lowered brightness just like some users in here. Give it a chance, if after a month you still thinks the same, the phone is definitely not for you. And for your question about 10.3 the answer is NO, not yet.. BUT the BlackBerry Passport do have a better screen and brightness is like an iphone or so. Salute #TeamBlackBerry

Posted via CB10
    keepit dry, Naeg1995 and coldfir3 like this.
    12-05-14 12:23 PM
    Mines at the lowest brightness settings and its fine with me. It looks bright at dark
    I have to agree with you here. I much prefer the screen of the Z30 and Q10

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 12:44 PM
    The Z30 is probably my favorite form factor and while I liked the screen, as soon as I got my Passport it was night and day. The Z30 screen looks so dark and drab when compared to the Passport. I don't know why they went that route for the final production model but it's very noticeable when comparing the two devices.

Hopefully the Z50 (if it ever comes out), continues to build on the great Z30 platform but improvements to the screen are a must IMO.
    12-05-14 12:47 PM
    It's bright, even the lowest setting is sometimes too bright for me.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-05-14 02:18 PM
    I agree 1000% No reason to consider buying one until BlackBerry allows it user's to disable the ambient light sensor. Super fail!

Posted with X10 via CB10
    12-05-14 02:29 PM
    I come from iPhone 4S too, couldn't be happier. When I look at the iPhone now it's way too bright and hurts my eyes. Also it's so colourless. Then the battery.... what have I been thinking that I got that phone.

When I got the Z30 I realised what it means to use the phone properly - business wise. The iPhone was just a bad mp3 player which didn't even allow to play mp3, but you needed to convert the stuff before playing it. Haha it makes me laugh now.

Seriously. The screen of the Z30 in my opinion is really great and it's absolutely good for my eyes. Bright enough and colourful, and Battery saving.

Posted via CB10
    bungaboy likes this.
    12-05-14 02:51 PM
    You're damaging your cornea if the screen is too bright!

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 02:54 PM
    Mine is set slightly below 50% and seems just fine. Guess I'm used to it that way. My wife, however, always complains after looking at her HTC. To me, hers is too bright, especially in a dark room.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 03:01 PM
    I have the Passport, coming from a Z30 and do I wish they had kept the Amoled screen on the Passport. Black is no longer black, and using bedside mode even with brightness set to the lowest, means it sort of lights the room at night. No, this guy definitely would have liked an Amoled screen on the Passport as well. Much easier on the eyes.

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 likes this.
    12-05-14 05:24 PM
    I have set almost 0% level of my screen brightness and I am fine with its display. Rather dark theme is fantastic and this is the differentiating factor from other devices. iPhone doesn't have dark theme at all.
    12-05-14 05:40 PM
    Worthless thread. Mine is at 60 percent and its great.
    12-05-14 05:42 PM
    Ok. So I have new information to share.

I am home now and I compared with the other Z30 that arrived in the box. It is also a white device so there is no confusion between bezel contrast.

Checked to make sure software version was same on both. Made sure both were set to maximum brightness and maximum warmth just to make it easier to compare.

Well guess what. The screens are not the same. In terms of "luminance" they go to the same brightness BUT..

Tilt them even slightly and one is way blue compared to the other. The other one is a neutral white. I rotated mine to all the other directions and tilted to see if it was just cut differently but no. It is blue within a few degrees and the other one is not.

I have a crap screen. Here is a poor photo to demonstrate. Both are at maximum bright and maximum warm.

Z30 screen is so dark.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417824314.037197.jpg
    12-05-14 06:05 PM
    Ok. So I have new information to share.

I am home now and I compared with the other Z30 that arrived in the box. It is also a white device so there is no confusion between bezel contrast.

Checked to make sure software version was same on both. Made sure both were set to maximum brightness and maximum warmth just to make it easier to compare.

Well guess what. The screens are not the same. In terms of "luminance" they go to the same brightness BUT..

Tilt them even slightly and one is way blue compared to the other. The other one is a neutral white. I rotated mine to all the other directions and tilted to see if it was just cut differently but no. It is blue within a few degrees and the other one is not.

I have a crap screen. Here is a poor photo to demonstrate. Both are at maximum bright and maximum warm.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1417824314.037197.jpg 
Views:	585 
Size:	140.4 KB 
ID:	318937
    Why is the "Blackberry" name so light on the left phone then? I think your light source from the left side is ruining your comparison photo.
    12-05-14 06:40 PM
    Why is the "Blackberry" name so light on the left phone then? I think your light source from the left side is ruining your comparison photo.
    Well, if you look at the exact middle the bezels are identical in tone.

Here is another photo I forgot to delete. It's blurry and out of focus but you can't possibly tell me you can't see the color cast difference between the two on a known good display.
    Z30 screen is so dark.-imageuploadedbytapatalk1417826773.342399.jpg
    12-05-14 06:46 PM
    I see the difference. My q10 and z30 also on same settings don't display exactly the same.

And I am with you on how dark the screen is. My q10 was my first bb10 device and I hated it the first week. One major complaint was the lack of screen brightness. One thing that has helped is them adding the warmer to cooler setting.

I have hazel to brown eyes and my eye doctor said people w/ dark eye color prefer brighter lights where as ppl w/ blue and lighter green eyes prefer less bright. I don't know if that is "scientific" but it holds true in my family. Those w/ blue eyes have their phones set at below 50% brightness where those of us w/ brown eyes have our brightness at 100%.

The first week I had my q10 I'd get a headache looking at it. But now im use to it.

Some OS's I've loaded have been brighter on my q10 & z30 as well but not in the last 6 or so months.

However, battery life is fantastic.

I am.... Mrs Peevishlicious
    12-05-14 07:05 PM
    Yeah, you get used to it. I came from a Z10 with screen set at 100% brightness, to the Z30 set to 100% brightness. I too at first was missing the glaring brightness, but now that I've been using the Z30 for a couple of weeks it's fine.

I probably had the screen too bright on my Z10, it was a bit blinding in the dark.
    12-05-14 07:35 PM
    I think that the Z30's screen is great.
    Sure it's a bit darker than my previous Z10 screen, but the dark colours are richer and the size of the screen is amazing.

I leave the screen brightness at less than half to extend the battery life.

Post via my BlackBerry Z30!
    12-05-14 07:43 PM
    The z30 screen is only too dim in direct sunlight. Just like any amoled screen. Otherwise it's pretty nice, easy on the eyes with vibrant colors.

Though I miss having pure blacks, I am loving the lcd on the passport

Posted via CB10
    12-05-14 07:47 PM
    Ok so I think there are two different issues being spoken about here.

Brightness is one. As I sit here on my iPhone 4S I find myself thinking that I should turn it dimmer. The heavy blue cast is probably contributing to making my Z30 appear dark. Were I in possession of the left device I think I would have gotten used to it and so forth and been fine. Other than the PWM. I sure do hate PWM but the Z30 only really suffers from it in the dark.

The other issue is the blue cast. If I move away from a 90 degree angle it gets increasingly bluish. The other device does not and this is weird because I thought the whole point of OLED with its weird subpixel arrangements was to try and avoid using the blue pixels as much as the red and green.

I am reminded of cheap fluorescent bulbs. In my home I have incandescent bulbs because I love their full spectrum colour. I will have to stockpile them soon. For me when I enter an area lit by the cheapest possible fluorescents certain colours seem "too dark" because red or green are not lighting up enough. While a completely different tech, maybe too much blue on my dud is contributing to the perception of darkness.

Currently I am wondering if I'd like a passport or if that is another dud risk depending on who made the panel.
    12-05-14 07:56 PM
53 123