04-10-14 12:03 PM
43 12
tools
    OP, mail the BlackBerry support team directly and include high-res photos from all around the phone so they can see that there are no drop-marks anywhere on the phone. This needs to be covered under warranty.

Don't worry, I have a defective screen on my Z10. The glass has a bad fold in it and warranty doesn't cover it and I couldn't take it back for DOA because as they went out of their way to tell me, it was the last Z10 my carrier had in the entire Province so I wouldn't have been able to get another one.
    Last edited by Elite1; 04-08-14 at 07:07 AM. Reason: Removed quote of deleted post
    jordan smith9 likes this.
    04-08-14 04:45 AM
    Hello CB, I bought my first BB device 2 weeks ago today. Now before I get into the screen issue let me say I LOVE this phone. Coming from a SG1(****) >Moto Atrix 4g (awesome phone)>Xperia T (awesome screen+camera but dead in 8 hours). I wont go into detail as you all know why this phone is so great.

HOWEVER. . .

Exactly one week after I bought it I was laying in bed reading the news and it seemed like I blinked and a crack had appeared from about half an inch above the HDMI port that goes on a about a 45* run to just right of the front camera lense. I took the phone to wireless wave where I bought it and they said there was nothing they could do to help me and suggested a repair place to me, which has horrible ratings for CS. I then took the phone over to bell and was told in other words that I had caused the damage and to go fly a kite in a thunder storm.

Crack #2 same starting point only goes vertical curves out and back into the top left corner. This one I SAW HAPPEN and heard it.
    This happened yesterday morning as I was, you guessed it reading the news in bed.

Ive contacted a few repair shops and they are waiting on screens to come in or would have to order one. Prices around $150-$200.
    At this point I'm contemplating ordering a screen and doing it myself, if anyone knows a good place to get one or if for some unknown (to me) reason its not a good idea suggestions are welcome.
    you have 2 options man.

Buy a new screen or get someone to put it in for you (probably be around 150$) if you are american, if you are canadian you can luck out and find cheap parts and someone to do it for you for cheap on kijiji

or

complain to your carrier or to blackberry being persistent and call every day until you get your way. Say that this was a freak accident and you want to be reimbursed for it. Get more pictures of all around the device. (direct email, tweet, call)
    http://ca.blackberry.com/customer-se...ontact-us.html

Good luck
    vtpmt81 and jordan smith9 like this.
    04-08-14 07:17 AM
    Couldn't it be the case being too tight

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 07:20 AM
    You have a poltergeist. Get a Priest to exorcise it as it clearly likes to get your attention by cracking any glass in its vicinity. ; )

Careful! Z10 In action!
    04-08-14 08:54 AM
    The glass must have been under excessive pressure from the factory. Clearly a manufacturing defect. I have one like this on my Z30, except it is the silver bezel. The tension on the bezel must have been too high so a 1.5mm piece broke off and popped out just above the USB plug. I actually saved it hoping I can glue it back but it won't even fit into the crack any more. I also did not do anything to cause the damage. Unfortunately it is physical damage and unless you can prove that it was spontaneous (which is basically impossible to prove after the fact) you won't get it honored under warranty. It's ironic because in your case and my case it is clearly a manufacturing defect, yet no dice on the warranty.

Also, please ignore the unhelpful idiots around here. If you want to replace the screen yourself you can order it for ~$50 with shipping from Amazon.com. You may need to get it shipped within US though to start and somehow bring it to Canada. That's the best deal I've seen on a BlackBerry Z30 screen.

Posted via CB10
    jordan smith9 likes this.
    04-08-14 09:03 AM
    Call up BlackBerry directly and tell them, I'm sure they will send it to fletronics and have it fixed for you

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 10:05 AM
    Definitely a defect. Like leaving a small scratch on a car windscreen and it turns I to a full on crack.

My guess is that the shell being compact and tight and the resulting heat produced in the phone during operation caused an already present flaw in the glass to rupture with the least of pressure.

This is difficult to prove, however.

Posted via CB10
    04-08-14 01:59 PM
    OP I even had a dream about your situation, god it must be frustrating for you and definitely for a reader too, it bugs me

From my White Z30
    04-08-14 02:13 PM
    Are you Superman? Did you use your laser beam eyes by mistake?

Posted via CB10
    habs_fan likes this.
    04-08-14 06:19 PM
    OP if you do decide to replace the screen yourself, I can tell you that it is a very easy process. I took mine apart yesterday and the only thing holding the display on is about 8 Torx (T5) screws and a ribbon cable. No glue, no tape, no prying off pieces of the old screen.

PM me if you decide to do it and have more questions.
    04-09-14 10:54 AM
    Great title, hope you get this fixed

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 11:38 AM
    Call BlackBerry, have it replaced under warranty.

From a Z30
    04-09-14 12:38 PM
    Thanks guys Ive made a post on the official support forums that has so far received no support.
    Edit: official forums are peer support only. so nix that idea.
    Edit 2: was just called a liar by a mod.

When I tried to explain what happened to bell they pretty much did the old fingers in the ears "not listening to you" "its user damage". I'm surprised how many people refuse to believe that glass could have a manufacture defect.
    Last edited by jordan smith9; 04-09-14 at 02:24 PM.
    04-09-14 01:42 PM
    04-09-14 02:14 PM
    Hey its I never seen it do it cant be guy, how are ya?
    04-09-14 02:40 PM
    I have worked in the cell phone industry for many years. We call this a "jihad" phone. In every case I saw, when I took the phone apart, I could see where the glass was damaged outside of the viewable area when not taken apart. There are many reasons that this can happen without our knowledge. It can be a small drop or bump that wasn't bad enough for us to think about so we don't remember it, but just so happened to hit the exact wrong spot. Then normal pressure that is exerted on the screen takes its toll and BLAM, it cracks. Same way the second crack happened. It started from an already damaged part of the screen, and differential pressure caused it to crack again because of the original damage. I know that you, and other people like you that this has happened to, don't want to hear this. You want to hear that it's not your fault and someone else needs to take the blame. This is not an attack on your intelligence, just saying that the most likely explanation is that you were unaware of the original damage. The same thing happens when people bring in their phone with liquid damage. They HONESTLY don't think they got it wet. But there are many circumstances that can happen that they are unaware of. (like leaving the phone in the bathroom when showering) I would recommend finding a replacement screen online and replacing it yourself. If you lack the technical skills, go find a teenager that has an iPhone. They have the screen break all the time and they usually have the know how to take apart phones. Give him $20 and he'll do it. (or she). Hell, send it to me, I'll do it for free.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 04:14 PM
    I have a 3 year old motorola atrix that has fallen from 10+ feet, been tossed around, been in more then 1 puddle and the screen and everything else are fine, if I thought that I had done anything to cause the crack(s) then my thread if it even was created at that point would have been titled "**** I broke my brand new z30"
    That being said I am going to apparently have to eat the cost of the screen and am planning on doing it myself.
    I am a bit perplexed by the fact that screens in the states are $40-$50 + sh but $90-$170 in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    04-09-14 05:13 PM
    I have a 3 year old motorola atrix that has fallen from 10+ feet, been tossed around, been in more then 1 puddle and the screen and everything else are fine, if I thought that I had done anything to cause the crack(s) then my thread if it even was created at that point would have been titled "**** I broke my brand new z30"
    That being said I am going to apparently have to eat the cost of the screen and am planning on doing it myself.
    I am a bit perplexed by the fact that screens in the states are $40-$50 + sh but $90-$170 in Canada.

Posted via CB10
    What city to you live in canada?
    04-10-14 12:03 PM
43 12