Z30 survived impact and is working but the screen needs to be replaced. Are there any recommendations for a repair shop in Toronto and how much should I expect to pay?
    I do have insurance bit there is a $300 replacement fee plus tax!!!
    Or maybe I should wait and save to get the Passport...
    Any thoughts?
    Perhaps there should be an official thread about phone repairs, if there is one I failed to find it...
    Thank you.

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1052
    09-09-14 09:22 AM
    If you decide on the passport, sell your Z30 there forums on replacing broken screens

Z10
    09-09-14 09:24 AM
    From JC's bbm channel

Hey guys!
    So if it ever happen, hopefully not, for you to break you're screen and wanted to buy a new replacement...
    Here's a great link, in which I've used, and has manage to give you guys a promotional code to use, to get a small discount! ({})
    I know it's not much, but hey a small discount is better than no discount! \=D/
    Code: QTLZMA
    Link: etradesupply.com

Posted via CB10
    09-09-14 09:26 AM
    You can buy a new screen for around �40 from amazon and fit it within minutes

Posted via my Z30 running 10.3.0.1xxx
    09-09-14 09:28 AM
    I would question the "deductable" on the insurance, monthly premium, + deductible = cost new phone.....
    leehardballer12 likes this.
    09-09-14 09:34 AM
    yeah for 300 i would just buy a new z30. its only like $50 more
    09-09-14 09:52 AM
    Thank you for all the responses. I will order a new screen on Amazon and replace the cracked one. Then I will sell it in order to raise money to get the Passport!

Z30STA100-5/10.3.0.1052
    09-10-14 05:40 AM
    I just used Kijji and found a guy on my way to the office who would fix it while I waited. He did the job in about 10 minutes and I was on my way. I paid $100.00.
    09-10-14 12:35 PM
    That is a good price and what I would charge for the replacement.

The screen alone is $50 then $50 for the Labour.

I've seen people charging $200 for the same thing.
    09-10-14 05:26 PM
    I paid $100 and lots of places to get it done.

Posted via CB10
    09-10-14 06:06 PM
    OK, so reading this thread,I am now thinking that a screen replacement might be my better solution than putting in a claim on my Verizon plan's Asurian phone claim program ?

BTW, if anyone doesn't mind investing the extra moments to read through the following various issues/concerns I have about getting my new brand new Z30 back to optimal condition, please respond on any or all of the following issues, and I apologize in advance for having a current problem that presents too many different issues/topics that I am packing into this one post/reply. ( Since all of these details are so connected in my current dilemma about what to do about replacing my Z30's functionality I am having trouble not giving all the details I am dealing with)

I'm thinking that and paying the $99 deductible too get a refurb-to replace my NEW Z30-doesn't make sense if a screen replacement
    would not be more costly than the cost to obtain a refurb through Asurian (and that is IF there are any Z30's to be had given the recent "no more Z30's " news/rumor)

Am I thinking clearly on this, that I would be better off paying to simply get the screen replaced on my NEW (Not Refurb) Z30, rather than paying essentially the same total to get a replacement REFURB is the better option> especially since there may not even be Z30'.s to be had, and they might replace with a different manufacturer's phone or lesser Blackberry model, like a Z10 which I do not want. Am I missing anything?

Would getting a screen replacement as described here would be my better option than going through my $8 per month (Asurian) replacement plan (which I just started paying in August, so not much has been invested so far, and maybe keeping this plan is not even cost-efffective??)

Along that line, is there anyone in the San Diego East-Chula Vista area who can suggest where I should get either this entire repair or just order a new screen and replace it myself ( I worry about that, because my screen is not just cracked, it is SHATTERED in several areas into slivers, being held intact by the screen cover, so I wonder if that shattered condition would be more difficult to remove/replace the splintered screen...so I'm thinking paying to have this done for me would make sense, UNLESS it costs more than $100, (which is because I can have my phone insurance Asurian replace it for a $99 deductible - but I may get a refurb,or maybe a new one if there are no refurbs to send out anymore, OR worst case scenerio would be that the insurance either sends me a Z10 (which feels unacceptable to me) or another manufacturer's phone (which I do not want, but I guess I could sell and use the $ toward buying a Verizon compatible STA100-3 from fleabay or somewhere els Any suggestions? / advice on any or all of this will be much appreciated
    NEW Queston: What will happen if I insert my currently active Verizon sim into my STA100-5?

In the interim, until I figure out what to do, can I put my currently active Verizon sim card into my other
    (perfectly operating STA100-5 ,(which I had previously used on TMO)
    I want to put the currently active Verizon sim into my STA100-5 (which is in perfect condItion), but I worry about functionality/ compatibility,---can anyone tell me what functIonality I will lose using a Verizon account sim card in my former STA100-5 (because, ooking at the chart on models and carriers, I don't see Verizon listed on that chart for STA100-5

The whole reason I switched ffrom TMO (whom I had been with for over 10 years with only Blackberry models from Curve, thru 9790,9780, and I had to purchase from Blackberry the new STA100-5, while I was with TMobile, because TMO did not offer the Z30, which I wanted. But then I lost my STA100-5 (which I have just found again last night, after losing it, so now I want too put my active Verizon sim in my formerly lost ( for a month, and the battery still had 22% charge, and it is even loading all my email, up to the current date, with a sim card from my cancelled account at TMO inserted (and maybe because I have it logged in on my home wifi network with my wifi password.
    Background:
    (a few weeks ago, I dropped my brand new Z30 on cement pavers, shattering the screen (has a screen saver and is still functional, so I have been using it as i, because I have been too busy that I havent had time until have time to put in a phone replacement claim with Asurian
    . (Asurian policy thru Verizon is costing $8 per month, and requires a $99 deductible to replace broken Z30 (probably with a refurb-- IF they even have any Z30"s given the rumor Verizon isn't shipping out any Z30's (now that they are supposedly breaking ties with Blackberry), which I would not . Only one month old Z30 (NEW) with a refurb... (and that is IF they have any Z30's to replace it with, now that the "no more Z30's available" rumor exists

Additionally, I have a brand new STA100-5 (bought thru Blackberry because TMO didn't have that model & at the time I had been with TMO for over 10 years
    Then I LOST my STA100-5, and not wanting to spend another $400 for another one and because I am a staunch Blackberry fan,not willing to switch to a different phone or model (TMO sent me a "new" refurb Z10 as replacement, which I didn't want to downgrade to,so I will be selling on Marketplace once I have some time)

any advice, suggestions or comments on any of above welcome,
    09-21-14 04:51 PM
    You are willing to buy a phone off eBay, but are concerned with getting an insurance replacement, which will probably be a refurbished device?? I never had a problem with any replacement device from Asurian. I've never received anything that appeared less than brand new, and certainly in better condition than the device being replaced. Also, taking your device apart to replace the screen will void your warranty.

Posted via CB10
    Judyam likes this.
    09-23-14 05:21 PM
    Gamerama, Yonge St. just north of Eglinton on the west side. Have replaced two Z10 screens for me to date, they repair pretty much any phone including the z30. Typically $100 parts and labour.

Highly recommended!

Posted via my Z30
    09-23-14 06:29 PM
    Thanks lee for advice, didnt think about warranty being voided (by replacing screen). Mostly I worry that refurb Asurian sends me will not be a Z30, but what they consider a "comparable device" I guess I will call in my cliam to try to contact someone in person to be sure they replace with same (Z30) I will not be satisfied with another brand nor a Z10 , but I guess I will just put my Asurian claim in and HOPE they replace with a Z30 (since Verizon is now not shipping Z30's as per rumors)
    Last edited by Judyam; 09-23-14 at 07:00 PM.
    09-23-14 06:32 PM
    Thanks lee for advice, didnt think about warranty being voided (by replacing screen). Mostly I worry that refurb Asurian sends me will not be a Z30, but what they consider a "comparable device" I guess I will call in my cliam to try to contact someone in person to be sure they replace with same (Z30) I will not be satisfied with another brand nor a Z10 , but I guess I will just put my Asurian claim in and HOPE they replace with a Z30 (since Verizon is now not shipping Z30's as per rumors)
    If you're on Verizon, you may get a refurb. There are no more new Verizon Z30's. What's out there in the wild is all there is.
    09-23-14 10:32 PM
    'as per rumors' being the key...I tend to not give too much weight to what a bunch of 'OMG-the-sky-is-falling' people are posting and commenting on forums because often the claims are over exaggerated and/or just plain wrong. If Asurian was truly out of stock on a Z30 replacement and tried to send you a 'comparable' device, I'm sure you would have the option to refuse. Then, you could go ahead and pursue other options. But I highly doubt Asurian and/or Verizon would not be able to send you a replacement Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Judyam likes this.
    09-23-14 11:58 PM
    But I highly doubt Asurian and/or Verizon would not be able to send you a replacement Z30.
    Probably a refurb only. Not a new one. Verizon and BlackBerry decided on how many VERIZON Z30's were going to be manufactured. It appears to be true that the number of units produced have all been sold either directly from Verizon or by other means. There may be some new units floating around out there, but no more are being made and like I said, whatever is out there is all there is. It is almost impossible now to find a brand new Verizon Z30.
    09-24-14 10:35 AM
    I had my Z30 replaced through VZW for a cracked screen. When I filed the claim, the website said there were no Z30s available and that I could select a comparable device (given the choice of a white or black Z10) or I could wait for a Z30 to become available. Since the Z10 is NOT comparable, I elected to wait it out. In less than 24 hours I got a notice to go back to the website and complete my claim because they now had a Z30 for me. The device I received was new, not refurbished. I imagine the small wait was because they had to go purchase a new Z30 for me since they didn't have any refurbs available. Either way, it worked out fine.
    Judyam likes this.
    09-24-14 11:36 AM
    How would one even know if they received a refurbished device? I always assumed any replacement devices I got through Asurian or warranty replacements from Verizon were refurbished, 'certified like new', or whatever. I never got a replacement that looked less than new....sounds like they really are running out of Z30's then. It's too bad BB had zero interest in selling this phone, perhaps because it was the last one from the previous regime?? I think it's their best BlackBerry to now and represents the platform well. On the other hand, maybe they played it perfectly and are running out of stock just as the new group of devices comes out.

Posted via CB10
    09-24-14 12:40 PM
    I think the Z30 is Blackberry's best phone. I like it even more than the Passport. Never tried a Passport, but I know I don't want one. I will never understand why BlackBerry didn't promote it. I'm not switching my Verizon Z30 for anything unless it's another all touch high end device.
    09-24-14 04:21 PM
    RE: phone insurance claims; I dropped my insurance through AT&T months ago. After considering what insurance costs over the typical life of the phone, and the ridiculous deductible, I could go buy a minty used phone off craigslist far cheaper. In the situation of just a broken screen and not total destruction, I can very cheaply replace the screen and continue using the same phone.

Like most product-based policies, it's a racket. Well, insurance is a racket in general with the consumer usually getting the short end of the stick...

Richard
    lift and Judyam like this.
    09-24-14 04:40 PM
    Yes, I have been mulling over whether the Asurian $8 per month plus deductible of $99 is worth it.

(I considered whether to try to just replace the shattered the screen and not use up my just" two times per year" available replacements on my Asurian policy (I lose/misplace and drop things pretty often, so I am definitely and insurance candidate, and once in the past I used up my Asurian 2 times per year, and needed a replacement and couldn't get one thru Asurian, so if a screen replacement was reasonably cheap and easy, and wouldn't use up one of my 2 times per year replacements, I thought maybe a good idea for this one type of damage, BUT, (as lee reminded me of) voiding the warranty by removing the screen would probably not be the wisest move,
    While trying to decide my best course of action, I am still carrying it with it's messed up screen (held in place by a high quality screen cover) and tho it is still functional,( albeit, not pretty to look and a little scratchy), I can't wait to remedy this because I hate carrying something so messed up, and I need to get it replaced ASAP, if that is what I decide to do, before it gets harder to replace with another Z30, whether refurb or not, in case they become more scares in "the wild"........ OR....who knows, on the contrary, maybe there will be a glut of them in the wild to refurb or recertify,once newer BB models roll out.... Its all a guessing game, so for now....

But,I think for me, replacing it under the Asurian policy "may" be worth it,
    1.) because I just recently switched to Verizon in August, and haven't paid much into it before I dropped my new Z30
    and screen replaced
    2.) The deductible is $99 for this device thru Asurian (about same as getting a screen replacement done and lower deductible than I have read posts about what some others have paid as deductible-- (one was $300 deductible thru at least one other carrier someone posted about, (which in my opinion is rediculous, considering the fair market /replacement value of the device)
    and
    3.) getting the screen replaced only or replacing it myself will VOID the Warranty (thanks lee for reminding me of that)
    and I don't want to have a voided warranty if something goes wrong and I need a replacement
    These are my considerations I am mulling over before putting in a claim, and after that replacement I will reconsider whether keeping the Asurian policy in the future is worth it at $8 per month plus deductible, when refurb/ recertified devices are often available at somewhat bargain prices, (BUT with the low supply of Z30's - unless I upgrade later, a consideration would be there may not be many Z30's available to refurb out in the wild, OR on the contrary, maybe there will be a glut of them in the wild to refurb or recertify once newer BB models roll out. Its all a guessing game, so for now, I guess I will get it replaced on teh Asurian policy, because my blackberry is my life and I don't always have the funds to come up spontaneously for the full price of replacement, and immediate replacement would be a must due to my constant use of it for all of my work and my life. I think I need to just pick up the phone and contact Asurian right now and get this replaced and make sure they understand that I only want it replaced with another Z30, and I just won't accept the deal if they offer another brand or a Z10, in that case, if that happens, I could then go ahead and either just get a screen replacement or buy a used or refurb Z30 elsewhere. thanks all for your input helping me decide.

think I might be "overthinking" all this just a little ????.. <chuckle> I typically do...
    09-24-14 06:31 PM
    Yes, I have been mulling over whether the Asurian $8 per month plus deductible of $99 is worth it.

(I considered whether to try to just replace the shattered the screen and not use up my just" two times per year" available replacements on my Asurian policy (I lose/misplace and drop things pretty often, so I am definitely and insurance candidate, and once in the past I used up my Asurian 2 times per year, and needed a replacement and couldn't get one thru Asurian, so if a screen replacement was reasonably cheap and easy, and wouldn't use up one of my 2 times per year replacements, I thought maybe a good idea for this one type of damage, BUT, (as lee reminded me of) voiding the warranty by removing the screen would probably not be the wisest move,
    While trying to decide my best course of action, I am still carrying it with it's messed up screen (held in place by a high quality screen cover) and tho it is still functional,( albeit, not pretty to look and a little scratchy), I can't wait to remedy this because I hate carrying something so messed up, and I need to get it replaced ASAP, if that is what I decide to do, before it gets harder to replace with another Z30, whether refurb or not, in case they become more scares in "the wild"........ OR....who knows, on the contrary, maybe there will be a glut of them in the wild to refurb or recertify,once newer BB models roll out.... Its all a guessing game, so for now....

But,I think for me, replacing it under the Asurian policy "may" be worth it,
    1.) because I just recently switched to Verizon in August, and haven't paid much into it before I dropped my new Z30
    and screen replaced
    2.) The deductible is $99 for this device thru Asurian (about same as getting a screen replacement done and lower deductible than I have read posts about what some others have paid as deductible-- (one was $300 deductible thru at least one other carrier someone posted about, (which in my opinion is rediculous, considering the fair market /replacement value of the device)
    and
    3.) getting the screen replaced only or replacing it myself will VOID the Warranty (thanks lee for reminding me of that)
    and I don't want to have a voided warranty if something goes wrong and I need a replacement
    These are my considerations I am mulling over before putting in a claim, and after that replacement I will reconsider whether keeping the Asurian policy in the future is worth it at $8 per month plus deductible, when refurb/ recertified devices are often available at somewhat bargain prices, (BUT with the low supply of Z30's - unless I upgrade later, a consideration would be there may not be many Z30's available to refurb out in the wild, OR on the contrary, maybe there will be a glut of them in the wild to refurb or recertify once newer BB models roll out. Its all a guessing game, so for now, I guess I will get it replaced on teh Asurian policy, because my blackberry is my life and I don't always have the funds to come up spontaneously for the full price of replacement, and immediate replacement would be a must due to my constant use of it for all of my work and my life. I think I need to just pick up the phone and contact Asurian right now and get this replaced and make sure they understand that I only want it replaced with another Z30, and I just won't accept the deal if they offer another brand or a Z10, in that case, if that happens, I could then go ahead and either just get a screen replacement or buy a used or refurb Z30 elsewhere. thanks all for your input helping me decide.

think I might be "overthinking" all this just a little ????.. <chuckle> I typically do...

I've sent you a private message =]
    09-24-14 09:14 PM
    Insurance is a racket, imo...,but, since you are so early in your contract, it may be a good idea just to make a claim. I understand the reluctance to exchange your brand new device for a refurbished one. I went through it as well. I went back to my Z10 for a couple of weeks while I weighed fixing it myself or making a claim, and I had mine for about 5 months by that time. I just didn't trust I was going to get what I pay for on ebay or Amazon as far as replacement parts, so I just made the claim and moved on. I got a perfectly new looking and operating device.

Posted via CB10
    lift likes this.
    09-26-14 12:57 PM