First time crackberry user.

So I currently have a Nokia C3-00 dinosaur and am looking to finally, though somewhat reluctantly, buy a smartphone. I'm planning on waiting until after MWC 2015 (just in case an announcement peaks my interest) to make a purchase, but I have a feeling it'll be the Z30 anyway, as a new all touch phone would likely be more than I need and the Z30's price is pretty attractive. Anything over $500 is pretty iffy for me.

I'm wondering if the Z30 is right for me. I think it is, but I'd like a second opinion.

My needs are:
    -general mobile internet surfing, youtube, and facebook
    -limited app use (primarily skytracker and sunsurveyor for planning sunrise, sunset, and night time photography, not interested in games)
    -talk, text, instant messaging, email
    -listening to music and watching videos (1080p would be nice, but not particularly important)
    -taking photos and videos (doesn't need to be super awesome, just snapshots for fun, I have my DSLR for serious stuff)

My only concern is the dual-core processor. I'm a bit of a phone-tech noob, so I have no idea if the processor and ram is enough (or even too much?)

I'm a photographer, so I know all about what we call "Gear Acquisition Syndrome," where you want the best equipment even though it's beyond what you really need. Not knowing much of anything about smartphones, I figured I'd ask for some advice.

Your thoughts?
    marcin.warmuz likes this.
    02-18-15 07:56 PM
    two years ago I listened to a att rep talk about an android and how it had 4 cores. He said it had four so it can keep up running all the things it needed to run in the background. It was hard to keep from laughing. I asked him what is the phone running in the background? Nothing was running in the bg.

See signature, the Z30 is everything you want. Its worth trying, I am going to try the att passport but I have a feeling I will be selling it.
    02-18-15 08:08 PM
    First of all, welcome to CrackBerry!

Let me address each point as thoroughly as I can for you. I may even make a video about this very topic and post it later tonight.

First and foremost, the price of the Z30 is excellent right now. It's way better than it was when I got my first one at launch (I'm also a photographer, and like any good photographer I lived the device lifecycle where I want more and more and more and eventually come back to my basic device :P). I do, however, COMPLETELY agree that you should wait until after MWC to decide on a device. That's an absolutely smart move. As this will be your first smart phone, you can't miss what you've never had, so you won't have phone envy.

As far as your needs, let me go through those:

1) General Mobile Internet, YouTube, Facebook - BlackBerry has the single highest rated mobile browser of them all (Source). As a fine connoisseur of mobile devices, I've used Windows Phone 8/8.1's Internet Explorer browser, Android's Google Chrome Beta browser, iOS's Safari browser, and Ubuntu Phone's "browser" (quotes because I don't recall what it was called, other than Browser). The BlackBerry browser, side by side on devices, tends to be the fastest of them all, scores higher on many processing tests spec for spec, and is more verbose about potential security issues. A VERY close second is the Chrome Beta browser on Android. That being said, Chrome does have the benefit of syncing with your desktop Chrome browser through your Google account. I haven't found a means of doing the same with the BlackBerry browser, so that's something to keep in mind. As far as YouTube, I watch videos regularly every morning during my breakfast hour on my Z30 using the app SuperTube. I use SuperTube because I can store the videos if I want to watch them again or preload them while I'm on WiFi so I don't eat through my mobile data. With the YouTube Android app I have to pay Google $9.99 a month for the ability to download the videos for later viewing. That said, if you don't like SuperTube, there's other apps, as well as the official YouTube app from Android which does run nicely in BlackBerry 10.3.1 (I can't speak for earlier versions as I don't remember what the results were in 10.2). Facebook is fine. The built-in app isn't as pretty or feature rich as the iOS and Android counterparts, but I can comment, post, share images, videos, etc, which is all I really want to do on Facebook. When I'm managing my Facebook page I tend to do that on my laptop anyway.

2) Limited App Use - I just test installed the Android variant of SkyTracker and it ran fine. In my photography life I tend to wing those things, so I can't speak to functionality or anything, but it seemed to work okay. Looking in BlackBerry World I don't see SkyTracker listed, but I do see Sunrise Sunset, Sunrise Clock, and Sunrise and Sunset, which are three native apps listed. Looking in the reviews, the primary issues are that those apps require your location which some people don't like. I'm not sure I'd rate the app lower because of that, but that's what a few folks have done. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

3) Talk, Text, Instant Messaging, E-Mail - All four points are what BlackBerry is best at. Whatever the communication app is, there's either a native app for it, it's built in, or you can use the Android app. As a side note, Android apps run fine in BlackBerry 10 as long as they're not deep-seeded Google apps. Google has built their apps as such that BlackBerry 10 can't run them.

4) Listening to Music and Watching Videos - I watch movies on my phone during breakfast and lunch all the time. The Z30 has a 16:9 aspect ration so any movies or shows you load will make use of the full screen, which is a plus against every other BlackBerry phone except maybe the Z10, which also has a 16:9 ratio. As far as music, the built-in speakers are loud as heck and sound great. I personally use a bluetooth stereo headset, and that also works fine. If you're curious, I use the LG Tone+ series.

5) Taking Photos and Videos - I'm glad you mentioned that you don't need it to be super awesome because it's not going to be, and I say that from the perview of a fellow photorapher. The camera built into the phone is perfect for those quick snaps and can often produce a good image. Forget lowlight snaps as that's a mess of noise of blurry long exposures. I can't speak to the special camera features of the Z30 and BlackBerry 10 as I don't personally use them, like the one where you can dial back on the face to pick the best facial expression.

Now with those out of the way, let's talk about performance. Here's the gist of it: It's a Dual-Core, yes. In my personal experiences my Z30 ran circles around my flagship LG G3, HTC One M8, and Galaxy Note 4. It isn't about what's under the hood, it's about how well optimized the software is. BlackBerry 10 runs just like the day I got it, even after I loaded a bunch of Android apps on it. Just today I was playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on it. It handles games just fine. You WILL find people that will put the phone down because of it's specs (browse the Classic forum for some fine examples of idiots that think like that). At the end of the day, the phone functions, it does what I need to do and it does it faster and more efficiently than the best Android phones out there, and the battery life is next to none. At the end of the day that makes me happy with it. Again, this coming from someone who has thoroughly used every device I've come across on the market, the abuser of return policies.

Long story short, you'll do fine.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-18-15 08:19 PM
    First of all, welcome to CrackBerry!

Let me address each point as thoroughly as I can for you. I may even make a video about this very topic and post it later tonight.

First and foremost, the price of the Z30 is excellent right now. It's way better than it was when I got my first one at launch (I'm also a photographer, and like any good photographer I lived the device lifecycle where I want more and more and more and eventually come back to my basic device :P). I do, however, COMPLETELY agree that you should wait until after MWC to decide on a device. That's an absolutely smart move. As this will be your first smart phone, you can't miss what you've never had, so you won't have phone envy.

As far as your needs, let me go through those:

1) General Mobile Internet, YouTube, Facebook - BlackBerry has the single highest rated mobile browser of them all (Source). As a fine connoisseur of mobile devices, I've used Windows Phone 8/8.1's Internet Explorer browser, Android's Google Chrome Beta browser, iOS's Safari browser, and Ubuntu Phone's "browser" (quotes because I don't recall what it was called, other than Browser). The BlackBerry browser, side by side on devices, tends to be the fastest of them all, scores higher on many processing tests spec for spec, and is more verbose about potential security issues. A VERY close second is the Chrome Beta browser on Android. That being said, Chrome does have the benefit of syncing with your desktop Chrome browser through your Google account. I haven't found a means of doing the same with the BlackBerry browser, so that's something to keep in mind. As far as YouTube, I watch videos regularly every morning during my breakfast hour on my Z30 using the app SuperTube. I use SuperTube because I can store the videos if I want to watch them again or preload them while I'm on WiFi so I don't eat through my mobile data. With the YouTube Android app I have to pay Google $9.99 a month for the ability to download the videos for later viewing. That said, if you don't like SuperTube, there's other apps, as well as the official YouTube app from Android which does run nicely in BlackBerry 10.3.1 (I can't speak for earlier versions as I don't remember what the results were in 10.2). Facebook is fine. The built-in app isn't as pretty or feature rich as the iOS and Android counterparts, but I can comment, post, share images, videos, etc, which is all I really want to do on Facebook. When I'm managing my Facebook page I tend to do that on my laptop anyway.

2) Limited App Use - I just test installed the Android variant of SkyTracker and it ran fine. In my photography life I tend to wing those things, so I can't speak to functionality or anything, but it seemed to work okay. Looking in BlackBerry World I don't see SkyTracker listed, but I do see Sunrise Sunset, Sunrise Clock, and Sunrise and Sunset, which are three native apps listed. Looking in the reviews, the primary issues are that those apps require your location which some people don't like. I'm not sure I'd rate the app lower because of that, but that's what a few folks have done. Different strokes for different folks I suppose.

3) Talk, Text, Instant Messaging, E-Mail - All four points are what BlackBerry is best at. Whatever the communication app is, there's either a native app for it, it's built in, or you can use the Android app. As a side note, Android apps run fine in BlackBerry 10 as long as they're not deep-seeded Google apps. Google has built their apps as such that BlackBerry 10 can't run them.

4) Listening to Music and Watching Videos - I watch movies on my phone during breakfast and lunch all the time. The Z30 has a 16:9 aspect ration so any movies or shows you load will make use of the full screen, which is a plus against every other BlackBerry phone except maybe the Z10, which also has a 16:9 ratio. As far as music, the built-in speakers are loud as heck and sound great. I personally use a bluetooth stereo headset, and that also works fine. If you're curious, I use the LG Tone+ series.

5) Taking Photos and Videos - I'm glad you mentioned that you don't need it to be super awesome because it's not going to be, and I say that from the perview of a fellow photorapher. The camera built into the phone is perfect for those quick snaps and can often produce a good image. Forget lowlight snaps as that's a mess of noise of blurry long exposures. I can't speak to the special camera features of the Z30 and BlackBerry 10 as I don't personally use them, like the one where you can dial back on the face to pick the best facial expression.

Now with those out of the way, let's talk about performance. Here's the gist of it: It's a Dual-Core, yes. In my personal experiences my Z30 ran circles around my flagship LG G3, HTC One M8, and Galaxy Note 4. It isn't about what's under the hood, it's about how well optimized the software is. BlackBerry 10 runs just like the day I got it, even after I loaded a bunch of Android apps on it. Just today I was playing Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic on it. It handles games just fine. You WILL find people that will put the phone down because of it's specs (browse the Classic forum for some fine examples of idiots that think like that). At the end of the day, the phone functions, it does what I need to do and it does it faster and more efficiently than the best Android phones out there, and the battery life is next to none. At the end of the day that makes me happy with it. Again, this coming from someone who has thoroughly used every device I've come across on the market, the abuser of return policies.

Long story short, you'll do fine.
    I concur. Love my Z30 for messaging over my iPhone 6 Plus. The Z30's sound is the best, as is the VKB. Camera is OK, but that's not a high priority for you with the OP's DLSR. The time and price are right for a new Z30.

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-18-15 09:24 PM
    I love my Z30... Does more then I will ever use...

Posted via CB10
    02-18-15 10:48 PM
    This is my first smartphone. I've used android and compared to that the text manipulation of BB10, well isn't really a comparison.

The predictive keyboard is really something else. And the hub makes it easy to deal with all your messaging needs.

Don't underestimate the HDMI output - - when you need it it's there.

A workhorse device.

Bring back random taglines!
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-19-15 12:08 AM
    In my case it does everything I need, I instantly receive and respond to emails, I communicate using multiple apps (WhatsApp, BBM, YM), I transfer documents via cloud (PlayCloud file browser, supports FTP), I repeat presentations, I read news (RSS), I watch movies, I listen to music, I navigate...I think I found 4-5 Android apps not working on 10.3.1 but not vital ones. Concerning it's predictive keyboard, as others said, you get incredibly fast at typing messages.
    I have friends with iPhone 5 and Android flagships (S5, Note), I had 3 iPhones (3, 3GS, 4) but after finding that any new version of iOS brings only minor changes without any significant improvement I decided to switch to BB, started with a Curve 2 years ago, followed by Z10 and Z30. Z30 is not a smartphone like iPhone which became an overpriced toy, it is just a small computer in your pocket that suits your needs just like a laptop would have done. You just cannot compare it to any other platform, it is completely different and talking about it's price, it costs half the price of iPhone 6, LG G3... Comparing it to Quad core Android phones is like comparing a Mac with a PC, a device which runs an OS tailored for it will always be faster, lag-free, frozen-free, errors-free because of optimization.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-19-15 12:48 AM
    I have an Android (Galaxy Note II) for work and my Z30's my personal phone.
    Sure there are things that I like on the Galaxy Note II that my Z30 doesn't have, but my opinion is my Z30's better all around.

The Z30's battery life is amazing, don't fret about the dual core aspect of the phone, the BlackBerry OS is optimized to run flawlessly on the Z30.

For the price, and all that this phone can do for you will be great for your requirements.

Post via my BlackBerry  Z30!
    02-19-15 01:58 AM
    The amoled display is not as bright as the IPS display used on other premium devices.

The stereo speakers could use a bit loudness.

Cameras are adequate, nothing to brag about. BlackBerry should really invest in some quality lens and software improvement.

No LTE support for Northern Virginia areas (ATT). This phone does not support as many LTE bands as the Classic or Passport.

I'm on Day 2. Still debating if I should keep the phone.

I do like the larger screen compared to my iPhone 5s.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 11:17 AM
    I have an iPhone and a Moto G. But I prefer the AMOLED screen and the wholly different way the z30 looks and feels. Not to mention HDMI support, USB data use, the HUB, the roomy on-screen keyboard and gestures, etc etc.

Posted via CB10
    02-19-15 12:51 PM
    Thanks for the advice, everyone. I do appreciate it. Now all that's left is to wait until MWC to see if anything there tickles my fancy. Other than that, looks like I'll be buying a new Z30 in a few weeks.
    02-21-15 08:00 PM
    Has anyone here used a Z10 and upgraded to a Z30? I have cracked my Z10 screen and ordered a new housing to replace it, but my upgrade is coming up soon. I'm thinking of grabbing the Z30, but I can't afford to charge it all the time, so the battery life differences would be nice to know. If it's not worth it, I'll just use my upgrade for another Z10
    02-25-15 03:47 PM
    Has anyone here used a Z10 and upgraded to a Z30? I have cracked my Z10 screen and ordered a new housing to replace it, but my upgrade is coming up soon. I'm thinking of grabbing the Z30, but I can't afford to charge it all the time, so the battery life differences would be nice to know. If it's not worth it, I'll just use my upgrade for another Z10
    Greetings Jason,
    I moved to the Z30 back in early December... and transferred 2 - Z10's to the Z30 platform without any issues.

The process I used:
    I loaded the newest BlackBerry Link on the PC... I would have tried using the MacBook Pro but I didn't have it with me at the time.

- I fired up the Z30, went thru all the set up and upgraded to the same OS as the Z10. Good to have the same OS level but not required) when the Z30 was upgraded, I opened up all my accounts (emails, LinkedIn, twitter, Evernote) and signed in to accounts.

- Open BlackBerry Link and click on 'switch device' and connected the Z30 to PC as requested from the BlackBerry Link

- After the Z30 is registered, Link will ask you to unplug the Z30 and plug in the Z10; the back up starts (roughly 30 minutes)

- when the backup is complete you'll see on the screen to take the SIM card out of the old phone and install it in the new phone, hook up the Z30 and the transfer starts. (roughly 40 minutes) then the Z30 will reboot.

- Do not unplug the Z30 till it says it's safe and get the transfer is complete.

Done!
    Then you get to enjoy the Z30...

Oh don't forget to go to BlackBerry World and upgrade all your apps.

02-25-15 04:51 PM
    Greetings Jason,
    I moved to the Z30 back in early December... and transferred 2 - Z10's to the Z30 platform without any issues.

The process I used:
    I loaded the newest BlackBerry Link on the PC... I would have tried using the MacBook Pro but I didn't have it with me at the time.

- I fired up the Z30, went thru all the set up and upgraded to the same OS as the Z10. Good to have the same OS level but not required) when the Z30 was upgraded, I opened up all my accounts (emails, LinkedIn, twitter, Evernote) and signed in to accounts.

- Open BlackBerry Link and click on 'switch device' and connected the Z30 to PC as requested from the BlackBerry Link

- After the Z30 is registered, Link will ask you to unplug the Z30 and plug in the Z10; the back up starts (roughly 30 minutes)

- when the backup is complete you'll see on the screen to take the SIM card out of the old phone and install it in the new phone, hook up the Z30 and the transfer starts. (roughly 40 minutes) then the Z30 will reboot.

- Do not unplug the Z30 till it says it's safe and get the transfer is complete.

Done!
    Then you get to enjoy the Z30...

Oh don't forget to go to BlackBerry World and upgrade all your apps.

I switched from a Z10 and a Z30 and used the Device Switch app. Worked like a charm. I then gave my Z10 to my brother and switched his Bold data to the Z10 using the same app. Couldn't have been easier.
    02-26-15 07:42 PM
    I switched from a Z10 to the Z30 in January and haven't looked back. There are numerous threads on this very topic, but just a quick summary of what I like: much better battery life (I've yet to run it down during the day even with heavy use, while with the Z10 I found myself charging it at the office in the afternoon almost every day so I'd have enough to last the rest of the evening/night), much faster (browser, app launching, etc.), larger screen (thought a bigger phone would be a problem, but it wasn't) and the speakers are fantastic. I even like the extra row of apps (and with 10.3 upgrade there's now an extra extra row...lol). The phone is noticeably bigger and heavier than the Z10. Like I said I was worried about the larger size, but since I never really used the Z10 one-handed (I have smaller hands), I knew I wouldn't be using the Z30 one-handed. So this hasn't been an issue for me. Bottom line - I highly recommend the Z30 over the Z10, if only for the battery life. It's a fantastic phone.
    jason18 likes this.
    02-26-15 07:52 PM
    My wife is looking to upgrade from her Z10. Should she get the Z30 or wait for the Leap? Based on the specs of the Leap floating around, which would you recommend? Thanks.
    02-26-15 09:15 PM
    It's because bbry has only the runtime. Google build their apps depend on their core, not in such ways
    Is the Z30 the right phone for me?-android-architecture3.jpg
    02-26-15 09:21 PM
    Just one heads up on a way to save some money. I was reading another article earlier about BlackBerry releasing a new "MID Market" phone later this year. Although the specs that were reported were not confirmed by BlackBerry, The specs for that phone are essentially the same as the current BlackBerry Z30. The price for that phone is expected to be just below 200 bucks full retail price. The difference between the phone you have now and the Z30 will blow you away. I built a desktop computer for myself last year that very young people with bad acne and love computers and powerful video games all tip their hat to. There are a couple of programs that I use on my desktop that they is phone would choke on but otherwise, this phone has all of the capabilities that my desktop has.

My girlfriend is like you. She has a IPHONE 4. She just bought an LG Transpyre from Best BUY for something like 60 bucks and she is kicking herself for not doing something sooner. She his one that will always be that consumer that is active in the retail phone market that buys gear that was avant guard 2-3 years ago at a minimum. She is smart. I on the other hand enjoy seeing how carried away I can get using these handheld powerhouses. So I personally get some esoteric value by having the latest and greatest. It's fun.

Will. Z30
    02-26-15 10:04 PM
    My wife is looking to upgrade from her Z10. Should she get the Z30 or wait for the Leap? Based on the specs of the Leap floating around, which would you recommend? Thanks.
    Get Z30, Leap is an upgrate to Z3. I don't get it, what's the use of Leap with Z30 being so affordable? Leap is a 5 inches Z10 with Z30's screen. Compared to Leap, Z30 has stereo speakers and an incredible sound, multiple microphones, more powerful CPU and GPU, Paratek antenna...so why buy Leap when for extra 50$
    you can get Z30?
    carloeh likes this.
    02-26-15 11:21 PM
    Get Z30, Leap is an upgrate to Z3. I don't get it, what's the use of Leap with Z30 being so affordable? Leap is a 5 inches Z10 with Z30's screen. Compared to Leap, Z30 has stereo speakers and an incredible sound, multiple microphones, more powerful CPU and GPU, Paratek antenna...so why buy Leap when for extra 50$
    you can get Z30?
    Z10 is no longer in production. Leap is meant to replace it and should be much cheaper than Z10 and Z30 were on release.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:41 PM
    you can get Z30?
    And I don't think the Z30 is still being produced. They are just getting rid of stock at this point.

Posted via CB10
    02-26-15 11:42 PM
    The Z30 is a great phone. Gestures and the hub make all BB10 phones much more efficient to use than the home screen/button arrangement of competitors.

If all you want to do is take snapshots the z30s camera should be fine. However, I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't mention that there were phones out there with really good cameras and as a photographer you might appreciate that more than I would:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087O...UvbUpU11407300

(Symbian OS)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FM8...UvbUpU11407300

(Windows phone: The Lumia 1020 combines the image quality, video quality and performance of a DSLR camera with the simplicity and convenience of a smartphone. One of the reviews goes on to say:

"The 41-megapixel camera (38-MegaPixel effective) is one of the best in the business and the Pro Camera application suites for shooting, editing, etc., and the multitude of 'lenses' available for various special effects are really unique.
    There are several third party apps available from the Windows Store that take full advantage of the high-resolution camera as well.")

If photography was a big deal to me, I would probably chose that second one I listed at 375 over a z30.

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    02-27-15 06:39 AM
    The Z30 is a great phone. Gestures and the hub make all BB10 phones much more efficient to use than the home screen/button arrangement of competitors.

If all you want to do is take snapshots the z30s camera should be fine. However, I would be doing you a disservice if I didn't mention that there were phones out there with really good cameras and as a photographer you might appreciate that more than I would:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0087O...UvbUpU11407865

(Symbian OS)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00FM8...UvbUpU11407865

(Windows phone: The Lumia 1020 combines the image quality, video quality and performance of a DSLR camera with the simplicity and convenience of a smartphone. One of the reviews goes on to say:

"The 41-megapixel camera (38-MegaPixel effective) is one of the best in the business and the Pro Camera application suites for shooting, editing, etc., and the multitude of 'lenses' available for various special effects are really unique.
    There are several third party apps available from the Windows Store that take full advantage of the high-resolution camera as well.")

If photography was a big deal to me, I would probably chose that second one I listed at 375 over a z30.

Posted via CB10
    Love the sound on my Z30. The only thing I use my Lumia 1020 (aka Nokia 909) is for its awesome camera!

Posted via CB10
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-27-15 09:16 AM
    Just bought my Z30 yesterday. Staples Canada has a sale on until March 3 for the Z30 for $299 CAD with a free 16gb microsd card thrown in. Not going to open it until MWC is over, just in case there's a major surprise in store, but I'm not holding my breath.
    Ursus Rufus likes this.
    02-27-15 04:20 PM
    Great...enjoy the phone! Before you put a sim card in connect it to wifi and download the 10.3.1 update.

Posted via CB10
    jason18 likes this.
    02-27-15 04:30 PM
33 12