10-17-13 10:12 PM
141 ... 456
tools
    He also mentions that security isn't an argument any more...
    10-13-13 08:18 AM
    Quite surprising to hear this review...!
    One week in with my Z30 and had zero re-boots.
    Amazing comment about phone call quality...people I call always ask me where I am because the "line is so loud and clear" or they ask me to wait a second to turn down volume.

I am not sure what kind of devices BlackBerry sends for review but this review does totally not reflect my first 8 days of Z30 usage...

Posted via CB10 with my Z30 / 1791
    10-13-13 08:57 AM
    Quite surprising to hear this review...!
    One week in with my Z30 and had zero re-boots.
    Amazing comment about phone call quality...people I call always ask me where I am because the "line is so loud and clear" or they ask me to wait a second to turn down volume.

I am not sure what kind of devices BlackBerry sends for review but this review does totally not reflect my first 8 days of Z30 usage...

It an agenda to put BB down.
    They wrote it's hard to wake the Z30 up without a Home Button and you need a second hand to reach the power button. When this was pointed out in a comment to use the up-swipe they changed the article to point out the up-swipe is unreliable. I had the Z30 for a week (carrier evaluation unit) and never had reboots or gesture problems. Had to give it back
    10-13-13 09:05 AM
    Exactly!
    Sorry you had to give it back...

10-13-13 09:17 AM
    Lets collect some pennies and buy a nice iphone case for the Engadget reviewer. Tell him we'll buy him more if he get another reboot.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 10:20 AM
    I agree. Although I've not had my Z30 as long it hasn't crashed once. It is a phenomenal phone and my first BB10 experience. Everyone should go and buy this device.

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 11:18 AM
    I read recently where a reviewer had a chip out of the bottom of their Z30 - and it hadn't been dropped. Just put in his pocket. Evidently the silver plastic on the bottom is just painted on. Flagship material? I don't think so....
    That was Lucas at N4BB, I saw the same article.
    http://n4bb.com/blackberry-z30-vs-z1...parison-video/
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-13-13 05:48 PM
    Exactly!
    Sorry you had to give it back...

At least I still have my Z10 (9900 & PlayBook).
    Hoping to swap my 9900 for a Z30 or Q10.
    10-13-13 08:46 PM
    The poor call quality seemed a bit weird. I thought it was supposed to be an improvement over the other phones. It is a BlackBerry afterall...

Posted via CB10
    10-13-13 08:56 PM
    The poor call quality seemed a bit weird. I thought it was supposed to be an improvement over the other phones. It is a BlackBerry afterall...

Posted via CB10
    Australia's Telstra Network has a thing called a "Blue Tick" rating for superior reception. I watched a video on it once and it was quite neat how they test it.
    The Z10 has the rating with a few other select devices. I'm waiting for the Z30 to pop up on it soon. The iP4 & 4S are on there but not the iP5 (as of April).
    10-14-13 11:06 AM
    Those people are all misusing "flagship" anyway. They think it refers to the very highest-end product but that is normally called a "halo" device. The "flagship" is typically the one that a company sells the most of or is best-known for. For example, Nissan's flagship isn't the GT-R, it's the Altima. /end nit-picking
    As mset said...no.

Courtesy of Wikipedia:

"Flagship as metaphor - As with many other naval terms, flagship has crossed over into common parlance, where it means the most important or leading member of a group. It has also come to be an adjective describing the most prominent or highly touted product, brand, location, or service among those offered by a company. It now has common derivations such as the "flagship brand" or "flagship product" of a manufacturing company or "flagship store" of a retail chain. Auto companies usually have a flagship in the form of their leading, highest-priced car."
    10-15-13 06:28 PM
    I have a Z30 there no reboots and the call quality is excellent. I have an iphone 5 btw and the Z30 is superior in everyway.

Z30-Q10-Z10-iP5
    10-17-13 08:26 PM
    The Z30 constantly crashes? That has to be a lie

Posted via Q10 using CB10
    10-17-13 08:28 PM
    Not sure what phones they had, but I've had mine 3 days now and I'm very happy with it, just a well made top shelf phone the OS is fine

Posted by the Zed 30 of rockivy
    10-17-13 08:33 PM
    I'm sure I'll give my own thoughts here when my device ships, but to be honest, the odd random reboot would not entirely surprise me (I know a small handful of people who had a problem like that with the Z10, a software update fixed it for most). Even then, it will probably fix again with a software update.

As for the swipe-up gesture being unreliable, the only case I've seen of it being unreliable on the Z10 was when someone would swipe in a curved arch from the bottom edge towards the right when holding the device in the right hand. Maybe something is different for the Z30 in particular, but it may have been this same thing causing an issue for our reviewer at Engadget. Just a theory.

As far as the camera goes, I'm not surprised that the Z30 doesn't have astounding camera quality, but then again I'm not demanding it to. I want "good enough" quality, which it will deliver if it has the same module as the Z10 and Q10 for the cameras. I'm a semi-professional photographer, if I want an amazing shot, I'm not going to rely on my phone. I'm going to be packing my DSLR and pro-grade lenses. I'm not in any way, shape, or form discounting the value of a good camera in the phones these days. I am merely stating for my own personal needs, I use a dedicated camera. Always have, and for great photos always will. This said, anyone using a BBOS device (7.1 and prior) will see a major improvement in image quality. When it came to the poor quality of the photos in low-light situations, I think it stands to mention that at last check BB10 has a filter to reduce noise in low-light shots. While it would be nice for the camera to just automatically produce better low-light images, in the interim this is helpful and should be noted.

As far as the call quality goes, I think the only thing I'm wanting to find out about is whether or not the Z30 supports HD audio (which it should) as my carrier of choice has promised that every device it uses going forward will support HD Audio. If this is the case, and it is supporting HD Audio, my questions would be as follows when it comes to the claim of low-quality in calls: 1. Did the carrier used support HD audio from non-carrier branded devices? If not, was the device used a carrier-branded device from the carrier used? I know my carrier doesn't, even if the device itself supports HD audio. 2. Are there other restrictions, such as having to be on the same carrier in order to achieve HD audio calls? 3. Did they try out BBM Voice with another device just to compare? These things could all be factors in their claim that call quality was poor. Not saying they're wrong, they're the reviewer and we do have to trust that they did their job honestly or they would be out of a job if otherwise was discovered. I'm just wondering how intensive their process was in terms of figuring out the call quality and perhaps even figuring out what "optimum" call quality on this particular device should sound like (i.e BBM Voice calls).

That's my two cents, like I said I'll probably do my best to confirm some stuff when I actually have mine in my hands.
    10-17-13 09:43 PM
    Calm down people! If the stability claims are true, there will be an update soon enough. iOS and Android aren't bullet proof either. I agree it doesn't look good and it's hard to find a truly fair assessment of any new BlackBerry.

Remember the iOS 6 fiasco? People still bought new iPhone 5 phones and also updated their older phones to iOS6.

There's also no way in hell the Z30 has poor call quality.
    10-17-13 10:12 PM
141 ... 456