How does that contradict anything that I said?
    It doesn't. Just wanted to know if there was something else to it I may have missed. Dont know how it was unreliable.

Sent from my HTC One using CB Forums mobile app
    10-12-13 11:06 AM
    Inertia?
    Touche hahaha

Posted with my Q10!
    10-12-13 11:24 AM
    I always find it fishy when they make statements like "middle of the road camera" and "bad call quality" without any supporting evidence. What does middle of the road mean? What about the call quality is bad? signal? volume? clarity? No doubt the Z30 might have some bugs, but every new device does, for example my iphone crashed and rebooted yesterday (mind you it was a fairly quick turnaround time which I am thankful for) Is this going to stop me from getting the Z30? Probably not, especially with 3rd party developers for instagram, snapchat, and vine, Im even more seated in my decision to switch!
    There is a whole section dedicated to the camera, as well as the reception. The OP quoted from the "summary" at the end of the review, because pasting the entire review here would take forever.

Everyone knew the camera was middle road at beast because it's the same sensor and pretty much the same software that they use on the Z10 and other BB10 devices, which provided middle-range results even when they were *new* phones.

Call Quality surprises me more, but I haven't gotten to that section, yet...

EDIT: Video from that camera leaves much to be desired.
    10-12-13 11:25 AM
    I challenge anyone to show me one perfect phone or platform out there. What qualifications do these reviewers have that would make their opinions/views more objective than any other person? The reviews from all the new owners of the Z30 is actually more reliable IMO.
    There is not perfect phone or platform. I've not seen any site reviewer give a 10.0 on anything including an iPhone. Every platform could use something. Examples below.

Android.
    (Apps could be more polished)
    (integrate Hangouts with sms app) Should be done in the next few weeks
    (enhance the notifcation drop down)
    (make the OS less resource intense) Should be in Android 4.4 out in the next few weeks.

iOS
    (new version is buggy. needs to be fixed)
    (UI and UX issues) design is not consistent everywhere
    (notification pull down) still not as useful as Android
    Needs actionable notifications so it either doesn't pause the app you in or doesn't block the top portion of the screen where the notification resides.

BB10
    You guys/girls know whats needed aside from APPS.

There is a lot more things each OS could use but nothing is perfect. The thing is the major reviewers have something most of us don't. They have had lots and lots of phones to play with and review. Most of us can't afford to buy more than one or two phones and maybe if we're lucky we get to play with a few others from people we know. Someone who has a BB10 device and then reviews the Z30 is more likely to rate that phone mostly of the improvement from the Z10. They are not playing with the newest iPhone and newest Android phone and then playing with the Z30.
    Terser Nori likes this.
    10-12-13 11:51 AM
    Hahaha. Not a chance. I was tempted by the first note specifically for the S-pen. Then my husband got one so I got to use it. Not too many apps use the S-pen and the ones that do don't do it efficiently so you end with it being more trouble than its worth to take it out.

I'll stick with my BB10 thanks. Honestly don't think I could go to any OS that doesn't have the HUB.
    You really aren't qualified to make any statement about it. You're talking about a 2011 Note, when the Note Tablets and Note devices since then have been working much better.

Companies are now starting to optimize for the S Pen. Twitter's Tablet App is Galaxy Note exclusive with S Pen optimizations. It's only a matter of time before more come, just like with the Multi-Window that more apps are starting to support.

I too was underwhelmed with the first note, but I tried the Note 8.0 nad 10.1 in Costco not long ago and the S Pen was like writing with an ink pen on a notepad. It really surprised me, and completely changed my mind about it.

The S Pen is so superior to a traditional stylus that is isn't even funny, and just the way it works with the Stock Note apps is worth it, IMO.
    10-12-13 12:01 PM
    Middle of the road means just that. You know Google has definitions right?
    mid�dle-of-the-road
    adjective
    avoiding extremes; moderate.
    "the paper reflected the views of its middle-of-the-road readers"

The best cameras on phones are on the iPhone 5s, Nokia 1020.
    Next best are the 13 mp cameras on Samsung phones and Nokia 9XX models.

Middle of the road would be the ones on BB phones, Moto X, Nexus 4, and on some windows phone 8 devices I don't know much about.
    All of the Lumia 92x devices are better than the BB10 devices IRT camera. Cameras aren't just for pictures. Yes, those devices have mid-range specs, but their optics are not mid-range by any means (extreme low light performance, OIS, glass lense, Xenon Flash on some models, etc.).

BB10 device cameras perform like 2011 Flagship phones. Almost all of the 2012 and beyond Flagships from Apple, HTC, Samsung, and even Sony are better than the BB10 devices.

BB10 gives camera performance you'd expect from present day mid-range phones, which is what the Moto X basically is.

I wouldn't say it's terrible, period, but they are pretty much terrible compared to the better phones out there. Video is getting more important. I think more people will be giving more emphasis to it in the future. Samsung phones are better than almost all competitors for video recording. They tend to give some of the best output with a high bitrate compared to other phones. They've always been very good at that.
    10-12-13 12:06 PM
    Its obligatory for Engadget to make negative blackberry review, its a given. Its iphone or galaxy, nothing else matters to them. They are so blindsided, preaching 2013 hardware blah blah on iphone5, device which got smallest screen, least flexible os in 2013. Probably easier to just benchmark "compared to my iphone " rather than using and judging a system objetively.
    engadget is shallow and clearly biased against blackberry. Waste of time.

Posted via CB10
    I agree, every review I have read concerning BlackBerry, specifically hardware, seems to just thrash BlackBerry on so many different little things that the general consumer does not experience.
    10-12-13 12:07 PM
    A lot of people have already commented on this but when I read the Engadget review I felt compelled also. In the review, he mentions that the reception in poor signal areas was comparable to Iphone or Galaxy. But he says nothing else about the actual call quality per se. Only in the summary does he tack that on. I find it hard to believe that the call quality - that is, the clarity of the sound, the options for volume, the ability to hear yourself clearly - is poor. It's outstanding on my
    Q10. Arguably better (slightly) than the iPhone 4S I came from.
    You guys should leave (respectful, polite) comments on the Engadget page pointing this out. The reviewer is awfully disingenous and it's an important point - because after all, making calls is still the priority numero uno of smartphones.
    10-12-13 12:58 PM
    I just want to point that its HIS review so unless he misquotes something like the processor is 1.5ghz instead of 1.7 ghz you cant really tell him he is "wrong" about camera or call quality. He could have a bad device but it doesnt change the fact that his experience is what it is.
    Saiga, kevinnugent and litig8or98 like this.
    10-12-13 01:20 PM
    where are they getting all these dumb claims?

he constant crashes, middle-of-the-road camera and poor call quality erase much of the goodwill the handset has otherwise earned.

stability

Like wtfff these writers must be getting paid to write such crap
    10-12-13 01:24 PM
    Thanks for the find. The comments about the crashes / reboots is concerning. That's the third review I found mentioning reboot issues. I guess we take solace that they are not emphasizing it as much as they probably could have. Maybe they're distracted by the iOS 7 BSOD problems so it tempered the reviews. Either way, hopefully it stabilizes or gets fixed ASAP before the Z30 comes to North America.
    You think they would be able to fix their performance issues. They cannot do that. How can they say it is good - It is expected what the company is going through
    10-12-13 01:38 PM
    I just want to point that its HIS review so unless he misquotes something like the processor is 1.5ghz instead of 1.7 ghz you cant really tell him he is "wrong" about camera or call quality. He could have a bad device but it doesnt change the fact that his experience is what it is.
    How about Forbes?
    10-12-13 01:38 PM
    Well, at least those that are getting the device know what to expect - if or when some actually have the same issues. Historically, it's not uncommon for experiences to be different(better/worse) for consumers utilizing the same smartphone.
    10-12-13 01:56 PM
    You think they would be able to fix their performance issues. They cannot do that. How can they say it is good - It is expected what the company is going through
    Ummm, I think my answer to your question is yes.

10-12-13 02:02 PM
    This site has trolls and some critical commentators. Trollers should disappear.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 02:55 PM
    This site has trolls and some critical commentators. Trollers should disappear.

Posted via CB10

Yah trollers. I want to live in my bubble in peace!
    10-12-13 03:32 PM
    Ya know, Its like Capt Kirk chastising Khan in "the wrath of Khan" You keep missing the target!!!!!! IS it really to much to ask that if you are trying to claw your way to the top that you put forth a flawless device.
    10-12-13 04:47 PM
    Seems a pretty fair review to me.

There are a couple of small oddities there, but really I think the conclusions drawn are pretty much indisputable at this point: namely that BlackBerry have failed in their attempt(s) to produce a worthy flagship device.

A decent device, sure. But that's not what the doctor ordered.

Posted via CB10
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-12-13 05:24 PM
    Seems a pretty fair review to me.

There are a couple of small oddities there, but really I think the conclusions drawn are pretty much indisputable at this point: namely that BlackBerry have failed in their attempt(s) to produce a worthy flagship device.

A decent device, sure. But that's not what the doctor ordered.

Posted via CB10
    What did the doctor order? More apps isn't a device.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 05:46 PM
    That is an awesome thank you gift! I would own a Z30 right now if it weren't for the off contract price. Once the price becomes more realistic and they can be had for $300-$350 I'll probably pick one up.
    Given the timing on the Z10, that will be sooner than you might imagine.
    10-12-13 05:55 PM
    What did the doctor order? More apps isn't a device.

Posted via CB10
    A suitable flagship which, regardless of app availability should have meant hardware and design that is at, or suitably close to, a cutting edge.

Regardless, this needed to have happened in January's launch. It's just a shame that even at this late stage, company staring down the barrel, the best hardware BlackBerry can muster is something merely competent.
    kevinnugent likes this.
    10-12-13 05:59 PM
    A suitable flagship which, regardless of app availability should have meant hardware and design that is at, or suitably close to, a cutting edge.

Regardless, this needed to have happened in January's launch. It's just a shame that even at this late stage, company staring down the barrel, the best hardware BlackBerry can muster is something merely competent.
    What's wrong with the Z30 as a flagship?? It's obviously focusing on longer battery life,bettet sound for video conferencing and upping the gpu for better browsing experience and media.

Posted via CB10
    10-12-13 06:03 PM
    What's wrong with the Z30 as a flagship?? It's obviously focusing and longer battery life,bettet sound for video conferencing and upping the gpu for better browsing experience and media.

Posted via CB10
    Dave, you're not fooling anyone with the blind acceptance routine. You must realise this is a pretty ordinary specc'd device for a flagship. Compare it to the LG G2, or the S4, HTC One or the iPhone 5s. It's just not there, and won't be. Maybe the next flagship .... if it has a 1080p screen at least.
    10-12-13 06:07 PM
    What's wrong with the Z30 as a flagship?? It's obviously focusing and longer battery life,bettet sound for video conferencing and upping the gpu for better browsing experience and media.

Posted via CB10
    There's nothing that would appear to be particularly wrong with it as a device. My qualm is with what a flagship needs to be, particularly for a company in such a precarious position as BlackBerry.

Battery life is the device's strength. The rest of it (design aesthetics and materials, performance specification, screen quality, camera quality) is lacking where compared to pretty much any other device in this price bracket, let alone where viewed in the context of a device on which BlackBerry's future as a hardware manufacturer depends.

It isn't as good as it needed to be. Sales will reflect.
    10-12-13 06:14 PM
    There's nothing that would appear to be particularly wrong with it as a device. My qualm is with what a flagship needs to be, particularly for a company in such a precarious position as BlackBerry.

Battery life is the device's strength. The rest of it (design aesthetics and materials, performance specification, screen quality, camera quality) is lacking where compared to pretty much any other device in this price bracket, let alone where viewed in the context of a device on which BlackBerry's future as a hardware manufacturer depends.

It isn't as good as it needed to be. Sales will reflect.
    With regards to design aesthetics and materials, where would you put the Z30 compared to the other Android flagships? I would put it over the G2 and S4 as I'm not a fan of the glossy plastic look. The Z30 looks to be more premium than those at least.

Toodeurep likes this.
    10-12-13 06:36 PM
141 ... 23456