12-05-13 10:10 AM
49 12
tools
    I've had Verizon for over a decade now and always had great signal... until we moved into our first house last year (it was almost a deal breaker). There is LTE all around except in this tiny 2-mile radius around our neighborhood (it's a bit mountainous). I have a 3G network extender, and wifi at home so that's been alright for the Z10, but it bugs me to know I'm screwed if my Internet goes out (what's the point of a cell data plan if I can't count on it).

Anyway, I get one bar of LTE if the wind is blowing the right direction (lol, jk). I'm curious to see of the Z30 actually makes a difference.

The alternative is a 3G+LTE directional antenna and booster package... at the tune of a cool $1000 (which would still stop working if my power goes out, as it did for a week during Sandy last year).

Posted via CB10
    11-12-13 10:22 PM
    What? You know, cause they use two different antennas, right? Right?

*facepalm

Better reception is better reception. On topic, sorry OP that it is not making a difference to you. However, all reviews so far have shown tangible benefits to the Paratek antenna in low signal coverage areas.

Posted via CB10
    Why are you facepalming me? The main benefit of the new antenna is for call quality and power usage.

Posted from my 295ppi super amoled s stripe 720p Z30
    11-12-13 11:01 PM
    Will using a case cause for reduced signal? I remember reading the glass weave backs were supposed to help signal strength and I have had the flip case since day 1. Haven't had signal problems but just wondering.

Via my z30
    11-13-13 12:45 AM
    I find no difference in reception and signal between Z10 and Z30 at my place. May be I was getting all 5 bars with Z10 all the time so not making any impact on Z30. Let me go sometime outside at lower reception area and see the difference. It's my 3 day with Z30.
    11-13-13 01:05 AM
    i live in a very small town area (low coverage) I was actually getting bbm's on the highways notorious dead spots.

to be fair though all blackberrys do well in this area... samsungs not so much.
    11-13-13 01:22 AM
    Why are you facepalming me? The main benefit of the new antenna is for call quality and power usage.

Because better reception is better reception, period. It improves voice and data, not just voice, and especially not just "voice clarity".

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 09:56 AM
    Comparing battery life in low reception areas between the Z10 and Z30 is clearly misleading. The battery on the Z20 is about 1000mAh larger than the Z10. Such a comparison is worthless. Compare it with a Note 3, G2, or some other large Razr Maxx type phone with a big battery.

The battery in the Z30 is two times the size of the iPhone 5S. Again, such a comparison is misleading.

A lot of things affect signal strength and signal quality - most of which haven't even been touched in this thread.

In any case, most people tend to trust Blackberry IRT being reliable "phones."

They just don't see need for one in a world where they are increasingly NOT using their smartphones to make calls.
    11-13-13 10:14 AM
    Does the 10.2 diagnostics/task manager stuff display power consumption by component?

Posted via CB10
    11-13-13 08:35 PM
    Paratek antenna certainly makes a difference for me. I have a basement apartment and used to have to stand by the window to make calls with my Z10 (still got signal throughout my room). Yesterday, I had a few calls to make and decided to sit at my desk for a change. And boy oh boy, I was surprised that the call not only went through, but it didn't cut out once! This is great news for me because standing on my bed with my head out my window is certainly NOT an ideal situation (roommate laughed at me a bunch of times).
    anon8091350 likes this.
    11-14-13 08:54 AM
    Weird, I thought the Z10 also had Paratek as some had said, it just wasn't advertised. I guess not?

Because my Z10 gets near perfect reception almost anywhere I go where my N4 (which I'm getting rid of when a new 10.2.1.XXXX drops) which has better reception than any Sammy and other Android would fail me.

So there it is.

Sammy 1 bar, with people waiving the phone near windows in a residential area, I have full bars, blowing away through 3G or LTE, whatever pleases my heart.

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 09:40 AM
    I've had Verizon for over a decade now and always had great signal... until we moved into our first house last year (it was almost a deal breaker). There is LTE all around except in this tiny 2-mile radius around our neighborhood (it's a bit mountainous). I have a 3G network extender, and wifi at home so that's been alright for the Z10, but it bugs me to know I'm screwed if my Internet goes out (what's the point of a cell data plan if I can't count on it).

Anyway, I get one bar of LTE if the wind is blowing the right direction (lol, jk). I'm curious to see of the Z30 actually makes a difference.

The alternative is a 3G+LTE directional antenna and booster package... at the tune of a cool $1000 (which would still stop working if my power goes out, as it did for a week during Sandy last year).

Posted via CB10
    Funny - I am in exact same position. I work in NYC, but when I moved from NY to Northern CT, that was the end of cell reception. I am seriously considering Z30 for this, and wifi direct and miracast and quad core graphics...
    11-14-13 09:50 AM
    Weird. I get reception in the basement of one of my university buildings (which is all concrete and bricks) with my Z30, while my Z10 had problems keeping up.
    Yes, both myself and a friend who have Z30's have found that this phone firstly does not drop as many calls from bad reception, has the ability the actually stay attached where other phones(apple,samsung and legacy BlackBerry) have lost signal. Also the battery life when on the fringes is noticeably better

From the Z30 of Rockivy @10.2.0.1803 soon 10.2.1.1055!!!!
    11-14-13 11:23 AM

He can because he's a tough guy Internet poster who hides behind his computer screen and slams people constantly on here, don't you remember his other non-sensical arguments from previous Z30 threads?

There's at least one in every crowd, I think he gets off on pissing people off.

And your right better reception and battery life

From the Z30 of Rockivy @10.2.0.1803 soon 10.2.1.1055!!!!
    11-14-13 11:27 AM
    Held on to Telus H+ in an elevator...

Posted via CB10
    Thachoc1 likes this.
    11-14-13 12:08 PM
    Yeah seems this Paratek antenna makes a difference. On my z10 I sometimes used to see the signal dropped to EDGE inside the elevator then it went diminished but on the Z30, even though sometimes the signal also drops off but it picks up the network within 1-2 seconds and it directly picks H+, I've always been getting a 100% H+ reception since day 1 I got this phone. Yeah, Paratek is something!

And I also notice this phone runs cooler most of the time. There is some time when I feel it warms up a bit but I believe it's due to the system indexing (in which every OS also does that) but after it's done, it's back on the cool mode

Yesterday was quite a torture to this phone. I've been using a lot for BBM and the battery sucker WhatsApp but it still managed to be at 37% from 7.30am yesterday until 4AM this morning!

Posted from Z30 STA -2
    11-14-13 01:52 PM
    Someone change this thread title. There are enough misleading titles on Crackberry.
    11-14-13 02:36 PM
    Someone change this thread title. There are enough misleading titles on Crackberry.
    What are you talking about? The OP does not think the Paratek antenna makes a difference and people are either agreeing with him, or telling him it does make a difference.
    11-14-13 02:39 PM
    What are you talking about? The OP does not think the Paratek antenna makes a difference and people are either agreeing with him, or telling him it does make a difference.
    No.
    Nobody has agreed with him at all. The overwhelming majority agree that they get better reception on their Z30's. The only people who see no difference are ones who had full strength signal anyway.
    It obviously makes a signal difference to pretty much everyone.
    11-14-13 02:57 PM
    Because better reception is better reception, period. It improves voice and data, not just voice, and especially not just "voice clarity".

Posted via CB10
    Unless your carrier is only using LTE for data and is dropping down to 3G or GSM for voice calls in which case "better reception" of LTE will make absolutely no difference for voice.

And you don't have to say 'period' because you ended the sentence with a '.' anyway. Or were you just doing a Peter Griffin impersonation?

Posted via CB10
    11-14-13 03:38 PM
    The internet in the hotel where my team and I are staying went out. All the others with Samsungs and iPhones had to walk 10 mins to get Wifi from the hotel across the river. I simply stood on my balcony with my powerful z30. Love telling people they should get a blackberry.

Via my z30
    11-17-13 01:58 AM
    I hate to be agreeing with the masses but the antenna does help to some extent... just not in the ways everyone was originally thinking or hoping. if you move from an area of good coverage to an area of low /spotty signal gradually, it will retain better signal strength over similarly designed devices in a call will not disconnect quite so quickly, or a data connection may hold on a touch longer than otherwise. I know this because in places I have been where signal is very very low, this has been the case for me. If, however, you are moving from an area of no signal to an area of low signal, it won't pick up on the signal any faster than competing devices from what I have found.

It also does definitely help save on battery life as it is a more power efficient antenna compared to what is used by all other manufacturers.

It should be noted, if you are on a carrier that has the option of switching down from LTE to HSPA+ / HSPA-DC, take advantage of not only the improved battery life of these technologies, but also the improved signal strength that HSPA networks tend to have in comparison to LTE networks in most places in the world.

Posted by my Z30 via CB10
    11-17-13 05:15 PM
    Dropped call are gone forever since I got the z30 I am soooo happy .....Just need the perfect call reject feature then I will have the perfect phone
    11-17-13 05:38 PM
    I was on a call - travelling through a tunnel earlier where calls usually cut off. I warned the person on the line so we said bye, talk later and by that time I was halfway through the tunnel under water so some kind of witchcraft is at play.

Also, how wide spread is the greatness of these Paratek antenna's known. At times we used to put the phone down on some who bored us and made out it was our reception.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 09:13 AM

Also, how wide spread is the greatness of these Paratek antenna's known. At times we used to put the phone down on some who bored us and made out it was our reception.

Posted via CB10

One time I didn't want to speak to my boss. So instead of rejecting the call or let it ring out, I answered and relayed my voice mail message (including the beep). Still don't know to this day why I did it.

... he fell for it though

Posted via CB10
    Ben1232 likes this.
    12-05-13 10:10 AM
49 12