When I turn my backlight down or when some sort of checkbox appears on my screen and dims the background I notice the dimmed section has a noticeable red hue. Is this the same across all z30s? Curious because my z30 was opened when I got it with a clever resticker job.

Should notice it if you dim the screen in settings. Perhaps its the Amoled tech?

Also seems like the bottom of the screen is slightly brighter than the top. I use my z30 with the brightness all the way down so that might be the reason but if anyone else has noticed this please chime in.

Let me know if you guys are seeing this too so I can put my fears of a return to Telus to rest.
    10-20-13 12:13 PM
    I see this as well
    10-20-13 12:15 PM
    This is a "feature" of AMOLED screens; the SGS-II did it as well and Samsung also limited the minimum brightness to prevent it from being as noticeable. The latter REALLY SUCKS when you want to use the device on a nightstand as a clock, for example.

The reason is that LED emitters are slightly different in efficiency between different colors and drive levels, with red being the most-efficient. You can minimize this (and they do) but not completely eliminate it.

If you give a damn about color fidelity you want an IPS screen. This is one of the reasons that I prefer the Z10 over other phones on the market today, as I find the AMOLED fidelity distortion really annoying.

Then again I do photography and videography and have for a long time, both as an amateur and semi-pro, and I find color-space problems to be particularly annoying. Some people not only don't care they actually prefer jacked up color (particularly, over-saturated color rendition.)
    dejanh and Mugenski like this.
    10-20-13 01:06 PM
    This is a "feature" of AMOLED screens; the SGS-II did it as well and Samsung also limited the minimum brightness to prevent it from being as noticeable. The latter REALLY SUCKS when you want to use the device on a nightstand as a clock, for example.

The reason is that LED emitters are slightly different in efficiency between different colors and drive levels, with red being the most-efficient. You can minimize this (and they do) but not completely eliminate it.

If you give a damn about color fidelity you want an IPS screen. This is one of the reasons that I prefer the Z10 over other phones on the market today, as I find the AMOLED fidelity distortion really annoying.

Then again I do photography and videography and have for a long time, both as an amateur and semi-pro, and I find color-space problems to be particularly annoying. Some people not only don't care they actually prefer jacked up color (particularly, over-saturated color rendition.)
    Count me as one of the many that vastly prefer the over saturated color of the AMOLED. Just now, I'm playing with my old Nexus One, SGS-II, and Z10, comparing the display. I love the SGS-II Super AMOLED, bright, gorgeous, incredibly deep black, excellent viewing angles. Very pleasant. While the IPS on the Z10 is okay, and for some range of color, more accurately reproduced, it appears washed out and dull in comparison. It doesn't have the vibrancy and life.

So the bottom line is, it's good to have a choice. If the Z30 is only 90% as nice as the Super AMOLED on the SGS-II, I will be happy indeed. That display (along with Gorilla glass) is the only thing I miss on my Samsung phone.
    10-20-13 07:53 PM
    "Gorilla Glass" is a marketing ploy; tempered glass is going to be nearly-identically hard irrespective of the brand name, and they're all tempered glass.

Are there minor differences? Sure. Can you scratch either? Yep, if you try hard enough. Will both shatter in very inconvenient ways and at approximately the same level of "overload" when it comes to impact?

You bet.

Ps: My family has a history in glass-related work; speaking from first-hand knowledge here, not my Google-fu.
    10-20-13 08:57 PM
    screen looks good to me..its surely better cooler coloured than samsung screens.
    10-20-13 09:04 PM
    "Gorilla Glass" is a marketing ploy; tempered glass is going to be nearly-identically hard irrespective of the brand name, and they're all tempered glass.

Are there minor differences? Sure. Can you scratch either? Yep, if you try hard enough. Will both shatter in very inconvenient ways and at approximately the same level of "overload" when it comes to impact?

You bet.

Ps: My family has a history in glass-related work; speaking from first-hand knowledge here, not my Google-fu.
    You didn't address the primary reason why I love the Gorilla glass on my SGS-II. The silky smoothness to the touch is far superior to any other glass finish I've had on my phones, or phones I've demoed. The difference is starkly noticeable. The finger just glides on it. The ability to resist damage is definitely secondary to me. I've never scratched or cracked any displays in any phone I've ever owned. Maybe I'm excessively gentle on my devices, but they just don't get damaged.

So I stick with my point, I miss the SuperAMOLED (with its Gorilla glass).
    10-20-13 09:07 PM