I recieved my Otterbox Defender case from the manufacturers website today (couldn't find one on eBay or Amazon, which would have been cheaper).

Design - It's really your typical Otterbox Defender design I've had on these cases before. It covers the volume rocker area keys. the power button and the HDMI and charging port. It's got the cutouts for the sensors, cameras and speakers. In fashion of how their iPhone cases are, they left a little window for the BB symbol on the back. There is little to no texture on this case. Some ribbing on the back would have been nice for grip.

Quality/Durability - Unfortunately, I feel the case is not as strong as other Defender's I've had. The rubber material seems thin and flimsy. The shell doesn't seem too strong. While it's nice to have the HDMI and charging port covered, it leaves a thin strip of rubber above it that wraps around the shell, which is very flimsy and could tear. The built in screen protector does have a little play in between the case and the touch screen.

Considering there are not many options for a rugged case for the Z30, this may be the best option. Second would be the Commuter case with a quality screen protector. Third would be the Case Mate Tough Case with a quality screen protector. I'll field any questions you may have.
    11-18-13 02:05 PM
    Which color did u order?
    11-18-13 02:59 PM
    Black

Posted via CB10
    11-18-13 04:22 PM
    Thanks for the review. I have been anxiously awaiting for any info on the z30 otterboxes.

Disappointing to hear of the build quality. After how poorly received the z10 defender was, I was hoping they would get it right this time around. The product pics on OB's website look really good but I guess seeing is believing.

Would you mind posting some pics? I'm curious to see how the cutouts on the front look. The z10 had a massive cutout on the screen protector for the earpiece/LED/flash which ended up being a major dust trap. Also, how flush is the built in screen protector with the z30 screen? The z10 defender was not very flush so I saw tons of air pockets.

Thanks for the Intel!

Posted via CB10
    Atmarix likes this.
    11-18-13 05:49 PM
    The commuter for Z30 is excellent! Sturdy rubber all around. Does not interfere with swiping from the side when in landscape. Good, solid case. Much better to have a stick-on screen protector, than the built in one on defender, IMO

Posted via CB10
    Elite1 and terdferguson3 like this.
    11-19-13 09:49 AM
    After owning this case for a few days I've decided I do not like it. I can just tell it's not one of their more quality cases. Several quirks about it that I can't get past. I did find the Trident Aegis case, but I don't think I will buy it. I want to buy the Case Mate Tough Case, although it's currently out of stock on the website and I can't find it on Amazon, eBay, or anywhere else. Any ideas?
    11-20-13 10:29 AM
    Sorry to answer you 2 weeks later, but I don't think the Tough is released yet, just coming soon. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm mistaken.

I was looking at the Commuter as the Defender is just too big for my tastes. I'd really like to see one in person, but you really can't find Z30 cases here in Vancouver.

Just ordered a black Transform and a Smoke/transparent tpu skin from the CB store with this 25% promo.
    12-03-13 11:40 PM
    I have the defender as well and got it simply for the holster which the commuter does not have. It's really the only case with a holster I have found for the 30. I do find that the rubber is flimsy in places such as over the cut outs but overall I'm satisfied as I don't think any damage can come to my device. I did pop the screen protector out first thing as I'm not a fan of them and it didn't sit well. If there are any other cases with a holster please let me know as I'd be very interested. Hoping Seidio brings the surface with kickstand and holster out for the 30.

Single finger flickin fun from the best Damn virtual keyboard in existence...the BlackBerry Z30 Everybody!
    12-06-13 11:27 AM
    I have had the defender for about a month. I replaced the screen protector and have found the case to be great. The rubber has been fine and hasn't come loose in any spots. It overall feels quite sturdy and does the job as intended.

I have had otterbox in the past for my iPhone and have found this version is actually better than the one for my iPhone. I find the port covers work well and are easy enough to remove. The case slides in and out of the pocket well. I don't use the holster so I can not comment on that.

Posted via my Z30
    12-06-13 11:41 AM
    What do you think about this one?

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/hk-fr...456215903.html

I wish I could get it at the right angle, with charger connected for bedtime mode.

Thoughts?

Posted via CB10
    12-06-13 12:41 PM
    Thats a nice looking alternative and wished I could use it, but my needs and work dictate a holster
    12-06-13 07:14 PM
    I just got my grey/white Otterbox Defender case in the mail and here are my impressions:

Pros:
    - Beautiful design! I prefer the grey being the dominant colour over white on the Defender to the wuite being the dominant colour over the grey on the Commuter (FYI, I have a white Z30)
    - Sleek and lightweight. It feels lighter and deceptively smaller than the Z30 Commuter even though it's slightly taller and wider by about 2mm.
    - Easy to put on/off unlike older Defenders
    - Unlike the Z30 Defender, Otterbox got it right this time by giving more room for bezel gestures. The BlackBerry logo is no longer obstructed and swiping from the bottom, top or sides is no problem (no crazy pronounced ramp like on the Z30 Defender)
    - Feels great in my hand... I love the form factor!
    - There is no interference with the micro USB port like there was on the Z30 Commuter (the upper bar is a bit higher giving more clearance -- follow Z30 Commuter owners will know what I'm talking about)

Cons:
    - The built-in screen protector does NOT sit flush with the Z30 screen. There's a tiny bit of space and you can feel the screen protector tapping off the Z30 screen when you type. I tried padding the back with some paper to push the phone flush to the screen protector but haven't quite got it yet.
    - The advantage of the case being lightweight is offset by the disadvantage of this case feeling a lot less tougher than previous Defenders. With my Z10 Defender I felt like I can literally play wall ball with it. WIth the Z30 Defender, not so much.
    - Major design flaw! The included holster is a much better design than the Z10 Defender's... HOWEVER... when you place the Z30 in screen facing out in landscape mode using the kickstand to watch media, the magnet automatically turns your Z30 off so you can't even watch it! I know this is really a BB10 problem since there are no holster settings, but it just makes the kickstand attached to the holster kind of useless. BlackBerry when are you going to get holster settings into the next leak??? Or have they already and I just missed it?

Summary:

Overall I like the case, but I don't see myself using it on a daily basis. I definitely like it over the Z30 Commuter but the tiny bit of space between the screen protector and the Z30 screen can get annoying. I suppose I could remove the screen protector from the casing as others have reportedly done, but I don't like the thought of hacking up a case than I literally received less than an hour ago! The inability to use the kickstand on the holster is also a shame.. although I realize that that's more of a BlackBerry issue than Otterbox's.

I'm going to use this case when I'm vacationing or doing any day-long outdoor activities (i.e. skiing, spending time at the beach, going to a football game). It's definitely going to be my go-to Otterbox over the Commuter. For daily usage, I'll stick with my cheapie clear TPU case.
    12-19-13 02:41 PM
    Great info- thanks!

Anyone have pics??

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:21 PM
    Best case out there by far

Posted via CB10
    12-20-13 08:31 PM
    Here is the way I use kickstand hohoho
    Z30 Otterbox Defender Case Review-img-20141028-00035.jpg

I much remove screen protection as well for best use.
    10-28-14 01:49 AM
    I love my Otterbox Defender case for my Z30. That being said I HATED the plastic screen protector! I removed it and installed an iSmooth screen protector. I was a Zagg screen protector guy at one time, but no more! iSmooth all the way! I believe in the Otterbox Defender case. My last BB took a loooong slide down the interstate highway when my wife tried to remove it while riding our Harley. Case took a beating but the phone never missed a beat!
    10-28-14 07:34 PM
    Where do You work so You need such a monstruosity to ruin such a Nice phone?
    10-29-14 02:30 AM
    Where do You work so You need such a monstruosity to ruin such a Nice phone?
    When your daily ride is this:

Z30 Otterbox Defender Case Review-img_20140925_072527.jpg

... and the best room for the night is:

Z30 Otterbox Defender Case Review-im001136.jpg

Then the next week you are running around here

Z30 Otterbox Defender Case Review-img-20120601-00007.jpg

Posted via CB10 on my Z30
    10-29-14 05:54 PM
    excellent ..
    10-30-14 11:49 AM
    My gear gets as bumped and shaken as I do so the Defender is insurance.

In town I use a oem holster under a suit jacket or the oem flip

10-30-14 08:43 PM
    I agree with pretty much all the op said. I have one and all that he said was wrong I would say too. On top of that it makes the phone huge. Won't fit in my cargo pockets for crap.

Posted via CB10
    10-30-14 08:46 PM
    I agree with pretty much all the op said. I have one and all that he said was wrong I would say too. On top of that it makes the phone huge. Won't fit in my cargo pockets for crap.

Posted via CB10
    That's why I got the Defender instead of the Commute... Holster

A lot of times it's clipped to a shoulder strap or the outside of my messenger bag. (what I use for a brief case)

10-30-14 08:53 PM
    - Unlike the Z30 Defender, Otterbox got it right this time
    You meant Z10, right?

Neat to know there are white Z30s. On the BB us site, it only shows black.
    11-06-14 05:21 AM