The first time I had ever heard about on-the-go USB was in the Z30 forums while I was trying to figure out if upgrading from my Z30 would be worth it. It was.

I haven't played around with OTG yet, but the concept got me thinking (hang on while I nerd out hard) when I was watching an old episode of star trek TNG when Dr Crusher was using a medical tricorder - which is an ordinary scientific tricorder, with an attachment for Dr Crusher to decide when best to administer a stout dose of inaprovaline.

Anyway, I got to thinking I could use a short wave radio attachment to take into the outback with me. I imagined that if I designed one, it would be a pack with a battery, antenna and a USB cord, which would allow my phone to utilize the mic and speaker for short wave transmissions and handle the frequencies and recording, etc. I figured it could also be a cheap way for short wave radio enthusiasts (something I learned about while on a huge Wikipedia tear a few weeks ago) to enter the field.

The sci-fi geek in me sees a huge number of peripherals that would be better suited being attached to a phone rather than something bulkier like a laptop or desktop. Like maybe a digital scale for weighing something like... mail. yeah mail. It would measure something completely innocent like mail. ;-) Or maybe a night vision camera attachment, or digital microscope for the classroom, or maybe in the future ultra sound probes.

I could also see a huge field for all types of medical sensors, BP monitors, etc that medical professionals could tap into a phone to handle the computing and let the sensors do the sensing.

Without all the specialized microprocessors for computing and operation being thrown into the sensors , they could probably made much more cheaply and/or compact. Which could make technology more accessible in the developing world, or in remote operating environments. One computer (the blackberry) with many, many specialized attachments.

BlackBerry 10's QNX base would be, I imagine, a logical platform to pair into something like these kind of peripherals since, as I've been reading on these forums, that lots and lots of industrial technologies use QNX anyways.

I thought that with the wean on leaks, maybe we could go back to teching-out in our imaginations instead of ripping along the bleeding edge of maintenance releases.

What do you guys think of the possibilities? Would kind of peripheral would you like to see blinking on the end of your Z30????

Z30 Fido
    Last edited by chiefx13; 04-27-14 at 04:46 AM.
    04-27-14 04:31 AM
    Too many drivers or applications would be required for all different peripherals , no?

Also it'll need for be self powered, or have access to ac.

Posted via CB10
    chiefx13 likes this.
    04-27-14 05:02 AM
    Too many drivers or applications would be required for all different peripherals , no?

Posted via CB10
    There'd need to be lots of driver's for the peripherals we all know and love. Printers, cameras, uses, etc.

But I was thinking more long the lines of having apps that control these add-ons. Assuming these peripherals were generally more specialized, like say, a short wave radio. The drivers and control functions would be within an app. So it wouldn't be blocking everyone's OS with drivers , just the radio nerds would have a radio nerd app.

As far as self powered... yes I think they'd need to be as well. but with wireless charging becoming more and more ubiquitous (I hear one model of Z30 does this), you could just toss all your gadgets on top of an area of your desk or in a drawer and they all charge just the same.

I'd like to think that since the gadgets wouldn't need specially designed computers and microchips and mini-OS's, they'd have a little more room for a battery pack of their own while the phone acts and the brain.

So you'd go to the store and get your "night vision camera", "stud finder" or "blood sugar tester" and it'd have its cost, on the back of the packaging would have some kind of link to download it's controlling app from an app store (NFC tag, 2D bar code, etc)

I guess it would be a lot of apps. But maybe people will want to replace their flappy bird or fart app with something like a blood sugar monitor that securely sends results right to their doctor's office where it gets added to their medical file.

Or maybe a geologist uses their phone to calibrate and test and collect data with a field instrument that's app-ed into their blackberry. Then they plug in a satellite transmitter and transmit the data right their. Or makes a satellite call for direction from the company.

That kind of picture more fits my idea of a smart phone/device. It's be good for industry too, since I'd bet it's cheaper for a sensor company to make their equipment talk to blackberry, then say a satellite communications company that has a completely different set of programming standards and gouges them because they can.

(can anyone tell that I can't sleep tonight??)

Z30 Fido
    Furell and lazypapichulo21 like this.
    04-27-14 06:41 AM

Posted via CB10
    They make it work with printers on some of these phones so....

Swordsmanship Channel _C000C9AF6
    04-27-14 08:12 AM
    BlackBerry/ John Chen are you listening? I really think you may have something here, now the right people need to take this are run with it. I'm loving the concept, good stuff!

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 08:35 AM
    Great post, love thinking of future possibilities! I would like my TV OTA USB stick to work in my phone.

Posted via CB10
    04-27-14 10:37 AM
    Bye, Bye...
    Last edited by xenrobia; 05-04-14 at 05:25 PM.
    04-27-14 12:33 PM
    I came up with these two ideas but no one was interested in the least. They rather just cry about loss of BB user base and market share instead of asking why Whatsapp is so popular.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...lution-914494/

My second idea was to manufacture a Bluetooth keyboard and incorporate a track ball as a mouse into the keyboard. Most people that use a Bluetooth keyboard use a Bluetooth mouse. Manufacture a Bluetooth keyboard with a mouse in it say maybe to the right of the buttons somewhere. it would be slightly larger than the one on the 9900 with a smaller button on the right of it for your right click function. The keyboard can be the size of a Z30 up to the size of the Playbook BT keyboard or bigger. I use my iPad blue tooth keyboard with my Z30 but miss a mouse.
    04-30-14 03:59 AM
    Almost forgot about this thread.

Had a random thought today which may not be necessarily "new" but could probably handled very well by QNX and some fancy agreement footwork.

How about controlling the utilities of you home as well as home security systems and appliances from anywhere.

The smart home of the future, which I remember hearing about as a child on discovery channel could actually be at least one step closer with a good implementation.

Imagine receiving a message saying your homes solar cells have finished charging a capacitor and then you get to choose where the energy is going to go while at work, or during a late night at the office. Though, for anyone with dreams of "living off the grid" and saving on energy. I remember reading an article about a guy near Squamish BC that tapped a stream running through his property right by his house for energy with a water turbine. He started actually getting money back from BC Hydro because he was actually adding power to the grid. After two years and nearly reaching energy self sufficient, they told him to take his set up down because he had been using a water way owned by BC Hydro and generating electricity off that water could only be done by BC Hydro (that's the gist I remember - I read it on the Internet so it must be true).

But starting my coffee, laundry, opening and closing windows, opening a door for an unexpected guest without a key and monitoring some IP cameras from my phone, pad, or computer sounds like a good idea.

Anyone else come up with a connectivity dream?

Z30 Fido
    lazypapichulo21 likes this.
    05-25-14 04:30 PM
    Instead of using the USB port, wireless would be better or even a small dongle for the USB port if needed.
    05-25-14 05:05 PM
    Instead of using the USB port, wireless would be better or even a small dongle for the USB port if needed.
    Wifi, bluetooth and NFC have some untapped potential, I think.

I remember reading something in the forums about a huge ad hoc bluetooth network. Very interesting concept.

Z30 Fido
    05-25-14 07:00 PM
    It's more an issue of getting all the drivers to work. I don't know if bb10 is even open enough to support that kind of thing.

Posted via CB10
    05-25-14 07:30 PM
    The first time I had ever heard about on-the-go USB was in the Z30 forums while I was trying to figure out if upgrading from my Z30 would be worth it. It was.

I haven't played around with OTG yet, but the concept got me thinking (hang on while I nerd out hard) when I was watching an old episode of star trek TNG when Dr Crusher was using a medical tricorder - which is an ordinary scientific tricorder, with an attachment for Dr Crusher to decide when best to administer a stout dose of inaprovaline.

Why do you think blackberry is investing so heavily in the medical Industry. ? There is plenty of Opportunity for a secure patient database/ diagnostic device. This would reduce so much of the redundancies and reduce the amount of time it takes to amalgamate all the info and diagnostic results into one place.

The sci-fi geek in me sees a huge number of peripherals that would be better suited being attached to a phone rather than something bulkier like a laptop or desktop. Like maybe a digital scale for weighing something like... mail. yeah mail.

Haha hahaha. Yeah all those little white or green packages of "mail" lol

Posted on a Post-It!
    05-25-14 11:47 PM
    I came up with these two ideas but no one was interested in the least. They rather just cry about loss of BB user base and market share instead of asking why Whatsapp is so popular.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/general...lution-914494/

My second idea was to manufacture a Bluetooth keyboard and incorporate a track ball as a mouse into the keyboard. Most people that use a Bluetooth keyboard use a Bluetooth mouse. Manufacture a Bluetooth keyboard with a mouse in it say maybe to the right of the buttons somewhere. it would be slightly larger than the one on the 9900 with a smaller button on the right of it for your right click function. The keyboard can be the size of a Z30 up to the size of the Playbook BT keyboard or bigger. I use my iPad blue tooth keyboard with my Z30 but miss a mouse.
    The second already exists. My boyfriend has a tiny keyboard like this, with a little trackball and right and left click buttons built into either the top left or top right corner.
    05-30-14 08:56 AM