Greetings! I've been lurking here forever and feel like I know some of you.

A very brief introduction:
    I'm looking at purchasing my first cellphone/smartphone. No, I'm not 12, I'm 53. Yes, I'm a dinosaur. A pretty computer-savy dinosaur though, I've been working with computers, building them and worked on networks since around 1990. But when it comes to smartphones I'm admittedly pretty out of touch. I guess it's finally time to screw up my life forever by actually getting one of these evil devices.

Been researching for a long time and I've decided that I despise everything Apple, particularly iTunes, and I have had nothing but frustration attempting to do anything with my wife's Android (Samsung). I'm leaning towards Blackberry and if I'm finally going to pull the trigger I may as well go for the Z30.

Here's my question:
    I spend a lot of time with an iPod and if I'm going to get a Z30 I want to make sure that it can perform the same functions. Hopefully with a lot less hassle. I'm very keen on ridding myself of iTunes.

So, what I would like to do is transfer a lot of mp3s on to my phone. None were purchased through iTunes. I ripped my collection myself, probably 100GB or so and encoded them to mp3 at a very good quality. How is the sound quality from the earphone output? Comparable to an iPod? I use pretty decent earbuds, my current everyday favorite is the Klipsch S4. I want to be able to easily change up what I have on the device once in a while. I actually prefer a simple directory interface for organizing and selecting music. Also, I regularly listen to several weekly podcasts which I would like keep up with easily. iTunes is horrible at all of this and I'm looking for better. Oh, and does the Z30 support FLAC? I have some of those as well. Is the Z30 up to the task?

Thanks in advance.
    02-18-14 09:02 PM
    Yes, BB10 supports FLAC.

As for media management, BlackBerry Link has the option to sync from iTunes/Windows Media Player. I prefer mapping the Z30's SD card as a drive in Windows Explorer and manually moving things around.

I don't think the native media player supports podcasts, but there are podcast apps on BlackBerry World. The same goes for certain more audiophile-oriented features (for that, I'd recommend Neutron Music Player).
    Last edited by thurask; 02-18-14 at 09:27 PM.
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-18-14 09:10 PM
    Well, if you want great sound quality I would suggest to buy the Neutron player when you get the Z30. The sound quality of the Z30 is really good IMO, I haven't used an open for a while so I can't compare them.

The neutro player is for regular users and for audiophiler geeks since it has a lot of options I can't even understand, so as long as I play with what I know, all is good.

Spread the word!!! http://www.petitions24.com/attz30 http://www.change.org/petitions/john...blackberry-z30
    Carl Estes and Dr Remulak like this.
    02-18-14 09:18 PM
    The native music playback quality (of which Neutron is a great boost to) is what I would call World-class. I think you will be satisfied.

Regarding podcasts, I say ditto to Thurask' post. What audio format are podcasts typically using?

Posted via CB10
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-18-14 09:25 PM
    Thanks you for the quick replies!

I like the idea of mapping the SD card as a drive. I think that would work really well for me. I'm assuming that this will allow me to connect to my desktop and just drag and drop files?

I'll check out Neutron Media Player, it sounds very interesting and I don't mind paying $5 for something that I'm going to use daily.

All of the podcast are mp3 which is what I'm using now. Some have other formats, perhaps I can experiment with them but they are pretty much all "spoken word" so I suppose it doesn't matter too much. I did see some apps for podcasts in BBW, perhaps someone who listens to podcasts a lot will recommend one that they like.

Sounds like I'll be happy! The Z30 wins on everything else that matters to me, I just wasn't sure about the audio and podcast end. It's not really talked about much in the reviews I've read, although the speakers on it are supposed to be quite good.

Thanks again!
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-18-14 09:45 PM
    Yes, you can map the SD just like a thumb drive.

Posted via CB10
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-18-14 10:12 PM
    Neutron Media Player looks like just the thing. I'll admit, I don't understand half of what it does either but I see some great features. Looks like a steep learning curve but I'm fine with that. At least when I join the smartphone crowd I'll have something to play around with and not feel too out of place while others are playing Angy Birds.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-18-14 10:12 PM
    Yes, you can map the SD just like a thumb drive.

Posted via CB10
    Perfect!
    64GB dedicated to music. I like this.
    Carl Estes likes this.
    02-18-14 10:13 PM
    Neutron is very much worth it. Just concentrate on the EQ feature first and then branch out.

Posted via CB10
    Carl Estes and Dr Remulak like this.
    02-18-14 10:14 PM
    I recommend bpod for a podcast client

Posted via CB10
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-18-14 10:14 PM
    I recommend bpod for a podcast client

Posted via CB10
    I'll check it out. Thanks!
    02-18-14 10:17 PM
    I think that you were reading my mind in what I want in a podcast app! Delete after listening, auto-download, wifi-only download, not restricted to XML/RSS..... It sounds perfect!

[edit] And a developer that participates here who seems very dedicated and open to constructive criticism.
    02-18-14 10:25 PM
    OP please beware of buying SanDisk Extreme Pro for your Z30, many members, including me, reported issues with those cards on the Z30, all sizes. I'm not saying they're bad (the SD cards) at all, is just that the Z30 is not compatible with those apparently.

Get the SanDisk Ultra which aren't bad at all.
    That is if you buy SanDisk SD cards

Spread the word!!! http://www.petitions24.com/attz30 http://www.change.org/petitions/john...blackberry-z30
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-19-14 06:29 AM
    Thanks for the heads Atmarix. I happen to have a Lexar Platinum II card that I was planning to use. Got it just recently as a spare for my camera while on vacation and now I don't see any need for it.
    02-19-14 08:41 AM
    Thanks you for the quick replies!

I like the idea of mapping the SD card as a drive. I think that would work really well for me. I'm assuming that this will allow me to connect to my desktop and just drag and drop files?

Thanks again!
    Or, with Link setup, you can use the Files app to copy the files to your BB. Of course, synching is just as easy.

Posted from my Z30 using CB10
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-19-14 04:48 PM
    If you're willing to stretch a bit out of your comfort zone and use BlackBerry Link along side your device and manage to shell out some pocket change for specific apps, you should be just fine!

Considering your stuff is mostly "mp3", per se, you shouldn't have a problem using the default music player as it should be enough to satisfy your music needs. That being said, if you've accommodated yourself to some kind of EQ preset such as "Treble Boost" on iOS, get Neutron Music Player. Bit more manual in terms of setting everything up but being that you're of the Silicon Valley era man (kneels and begins worship chants of "I'm not worthy"), you should be just fine, once again.

Couple apps for Podcasts for bb10, ask on the forums first though to choose the best one.

Overall, it is a shift. I'll tell you that much. Everything is a DIY kinda deal when it comes to BlackBerry 10 and leisure type apps but you'll be making a great choice once you learn to love it.
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-19-14 05:42 PM
    Thanks for the heads Atmarix. I happen to have a Lexar Platinum II card that I was planning to use. Got it just recently as a spare for my camera while on vacation and now I don't see any need for it.
    I have the same lexar its a 32gb micro sd card but works perfectly and really fast!

Posted via R115-Aramis.
    Dr Remulak likes this.
    02-19-14 08:52 PM
    Thank you everyone for your most helpful replies!
    As I said earlier, after much research I'm sold on the z30 but I was a bit concerned about replacing my ever-present iPod with a device that can play music and keep up with my podcasts. You have all reassured me and I thank you for that. (Looking forward to dumping iTunes!)
    I'm awaiting a good sized cheque from work in the coming weeks and in the meantime I'll continue to prepare so that I can set things up right when the time comes. This site has been an incredible resource and as a newby, having the support of a great community is really appreciated!
    Djlatino likes this.
    02-20-14 03:22 PM