Powerful OS, run-of-the-mill handset IMHO.

Posted from an ME173X
    06-07-14 07:58 PM
    Excuse me? Have you ever used a bb10 phone?
    Just this.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I own two. Perhaps you should try one someday. BB10 cannot put up popups when the phone screen is not lit. It doesn't light up when a message is received. No third party popup can light the screen. And the tiny banner you DO get (if you're ALREADY looking at your phone) lasts for just a few seconds. Only BB10 has this critical limitation. Not Android. Not Iphone. Not BBOS7.
    06-07-14 08:00 PM
    I have owned iphone 5 and Nexus 5, Now my daily phone is Z30 which is definitely a fun to use with hub and swipe to wake functionality.
    06-07-14 08:07 PM
    You should turn instant preview on, in system settings/notifications the notification pops up with preview of the message. What are the multiple steps you are completing? Powerful meaning versatile I suppose; or powerful in its ability to do many tasks.
    Instant preview only works if you are already working on your phone (screen is lit) and only stays up for a few seconds, and only shows a few words.

If your phone is not lit (on desk, in pocket, etc) the multiple steps after you hear the alert are:
    First, swipe to activate screen (or touch a number on the Q). If you do a full swipe on the Z you MIGHT be at the hub at the top where your new message is...If so, then second, tap message to actually read it. That's the minimum amount of steps. If you opened to some other area, you need to do at least another one or two actions to find your message.

If you swipe to lock screen (or get there by touching a number on the Q or power on Z), you MIGHT get the previews next to the icon if you swipe just right....otherwise another step is to touch the icon to get lock screen previews. Then double tap the preview to finally see the phone do a little dance and finally show you the message.

Compare these 2 to 4 steps to the Zero steps required on 9930 with Berrypop, or Iphone, or Android with various apps.....all of which simply light the screen and put the message up and you look at it. No navigation at all. Dozens of times a day my phone alerts......so a phone that makes me go digging each and every time is, in my opinion, less than powerful as a communications device. It basically saying "hey, I've got a message....but you can't see it like your iphone and andriod and OS7 friends....you gotta work for it".
    mm26 likes this.
    06-07-14 08:18 PM
    Maybe you prefer that, but it's a security and privacy weakness to have notifications turn on the screen and pop up even when the screen is locked and off.

I've seen many iPhone friends have to embarrassingly try to explain/hide what that last "compromising" message was allll about.

Fun times, but not for me.

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 08:25 PM
    Maybe you prefer that, but it's a security and privacy weakness to have notifications turn on the screen and pop up even when the screen is locked and off.

I've seen many iPhone friends have to embarrassingly try to explain/hide what that last "compromising" message was allll about.

Fun times, but not for me.

Posted via CB10
    Yes, I prefer what BlackBerry (you know, the, uh, security phone company) has been giving me for years on one of the most popular devices they've ever produced.

Your iphone friends only have to "explain" something if they purposely put their phone on the table, with other people around, when the previews are activated. That's their choice. That's Android users choice. That's OS7 users choice. BB10 doesn't give you a choice. I've never been in the situation you describe since I don't put my phone on display, if someone is close enough to read what it might say. It's in pocket or in holster.

And, the "embarrassing" event could just as easily happen if people are looking at your phone while you are working on it (or the screen hasn't timed out yet) and an instant preview shows up.
    06-07-14 08:45 PM
    Turn on screen when received new notification options in os 10.3

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 08:52 PM
    Turn on screen when received new notification options in os 10.3

Posted via CB10
    That's great news....if only they could put the actual message on the screen too so you could read it. Maybe the two popup apps will be allowed permissions to turn on the screen and display their popup like the most other phones out there. One can only hope.
    06-07-14 09:46 PM
    That's great news....if only they could put the actual message on the screen too so you could read it. Maybe the two popup apps will be allowed permissions to turn on the screen and display their popup like the most other phones out there. One can only hope.
    http://forums.crackberry.com/showthread.php?t=931231

Posted via CB10
    06-07-14 10:05 PM
    Instant preview only works if you are already working on your phone (screen is lit) and only stays up for a few seconds, and only shows a few words.

Compare these 2 to 4 steps to the Zero steps required on 9930 with Berrypop, or Iphone, or Android with various apps.....all of which simply light the screen and put the message up and you look at it. No navigation at all. Dozens of times a day my phone alerts......so a phone that makes me go digging each and every time is, in my opinion, less than powerful as a communications device. It basically saying "hey, I've got a message....but you can't see it like your iphone and andriod and OS7 friends....you gotta work for it".
    I can't recall now, but don't you have to open up the message to read all of the text in most phones? Anyway, activating the screen is not such a big deal. My phone is a work phone and it requires a password to activate after about 2 to 5 minutes depending on how you set it, and that would be the case for all of our phones be they iPhones or other. A few steps are inevitable in my case. To me power is the ability to do work on a mobile basis - like reading a legal document when I have to, in a clear enough and legible enough basis when I need to. I had a large purchase and sale agreement to look at on a black-lined basis in the airport - it was perfect, right-sized to the screen and easy to read. And if the time out function saves battery life, I'm all for it.
    06-08-14 12:50 AM
    Do you mean that the new message notification that activates the screen should show the whole message on the screen at the same time? With no user input?

Posted via CB10
    06-08-14 02:11 AM
    Hold it. Just to be clear; on the issue of reading emails, if my Z30 is not timed out requiring a password to get to my workspace, I can swipe from the bottom to activate the screen and then if I tap the mail, or text or say Linkedin icon I can immediately scan the messages in summary form. If I tap on the message, it opens it up. This takes a second or two and is clearly designed like this so messages are not visible to someone who might be glancing at your phone. That's no big deal.
    06-08-14 06:43 AM
    Sharap
    06-08-14 06:44 AM
    I can't recall now, but don't you have to open up the message to read all of the text in most phones?.
    It simply depends on how long the message is. Sometimes the entire message fits into the popup on say, Iphone, but apps like Berrypop for 9900, and others for Android actually DO put the entire message in the popup, you just scroll. Cumulatively I've probably saved lots of valuable billable hours over the years by not constantly hunting for emails, especially ones that aren't important.

Anyway, activating the screen is not such a big deal. .
    In your opinion. If you do it dozens of time a day it's excruciating. If you get messages while walking through an airport, driving a car and various other busy activities of the day it's amazing to just either glance at the phone to see the message (especially while driving) or pull it from holster and glance. While people like my mother in law, who might get that present at Christmas known as a message, have no problem with ritual of actually reading it....the novelty was lost on me years ago. That's why I buy BlackBerry's....for speed.

My phone is a work phone and it requires a password to activate after about 2 to 5 minutes depending on how you set it, and that would be the case for all of our phones be they iPhones or other. A few steps are inevitable in my case. To me power is the ability to do work on a mobile basis - like reading a legal document when I have to, in a clear enough and legible enough basis when I need to. I had a large purchase and sale agreement to look at on a black-lined basis in the airport - it was perfect, right-sized to the screen and easy to read. And if the time out function saves battery life, I'm all for it.
    Me too. We all have different reasons for using a BB, and if previous models and um, nearly all other phones in existence do this....then I think it's reasonable to expect the latest BB do this.
    Last edited by redlightblinking; 06-08-14 at 07:18 AM.
    06-08-14 07:07 AM
    Do you mean that the new message notification that activates the screen should show the whole message on the screen at the same time? With no user input?

Posted via CB10
    Not sure what you mean by "no user input". Of course there should be options to restrict how much, if any, information pops up for those that don't want this. But at least some portion of it would be helpful. I've got an app (Berrypop) on my 9930 that lets me actually see the entire message (as long as it's not epic) by scrolling, and many times I simply glance, and scroll, I don't even go to the inbox. I can even delete, or clear, or reply right from the popup.
    06-08-14 07:12 AM
    Hold it. Just to be clear; on the issue of reading emails, if my Z30 is not timed out requiring a password to get to my workspace, I can swipe from the bottom to activate the screen and then if I tap the mail, or text or say Linkedin icon I can immediately scan the messages in summary form. If I tap on the message, it opens it up. This takes a second or two and is clearly designed like this so messages are not visible to someone who might be glancing at your phone. That's no big deal.
    Yes, this is the current capability.....you are clear.

However your 2 step method is still longer than zero steps.

Also, on both of my BB10 devices the most info I ever get on the lock screen notifications is sender and subject.....not the actual text of the email.
    06-08-14 07:16 AM
    Thanks for this. Looks like, at the moment, it's still only capable of simply triggering the backlight (the equivalent of hitting the lock button) and so what you see at that point is unclear. I would hope you at least can see the previews and not just the icons..one poster seems to indicate this. Hopefully by allowing this trigger, they will also give apps permission to light the screen as well. Hub++ and BeBuzz Pro are currently not able to light up the screen and so their popup (back when they included one prior to headless) appears in darkness.....past the lock screen, which sort of defeats the point.
    06-08-14 07:30 AM
    In using my wife's windows phone, which is very easy to use, you still have to tap into your mail icon to read the message and the phone does go to sleep often to save power so you need to activate that as well. There's two steps. You activate an iPhone too when it goes to sleep don't you (haven't used one recently, my wife traded hers for the Windows phone). As to emails in the car....now there is where the BB has an advantage over the iPhone. In my car the messages are sent to my on-screen iDrive hub and can have the car read them to me. I can then, call the person back with the press of a button, or dictate an email message back through the phone...now that's powerful.
    06-08-14 09:55 AM
    You activate an iPhone too when it goes to sleep don't you (haven't used one recently, my wife traded hers for the Windows phone).
    Nope. The screen lights up and there's your message on the screen (or at least the first few lines depending on your settings). This goes back a few versions of I-devices. Not sure if this is the case if you lock the phone though, you may have to put in the code then you see the popup underneath....not really sure about that.
    06-08-14 11:45 AM
    I'm sorry but id have to say it's far from the most powerful in the world. It's great what they do with the phone considering how old the specs are but many of the things qnx was hyped for haven't been realized in BB10 quite yet. Besides, if u are going to use the word power, you have to consider its processing power and in that respect, there are plenty of processors that run circles around the Z30's processor
    Last edited by Rello; 06-08-14 at 08:46 PM.
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-08-14 12:09 PM
    Yes, I own two. Perhaps you should try one someday. BB10 cannot put up popups when the phone screen is not lit. It doesn't light up when a message is received. No third party popup can light the screen. And the tiny banner you DO get (if you're ALREADY looking at your phone) lasts for just a few seconds. Only BB10 has this critical limitation. Not Android. Not Iphone. Not BBOS7.
    I personally like that the message preview doesn't light up the screen when my phone is on my desk. That keeps my employees seeing my message when I'm not beside my phone. There iPhone does put it on the screen however anyone can read it when the phone is just laying around with a glimpse

Rockin Z30 on 10.2.1.2947 on AT&T
    06-08-14 01:29 PM
    Funny how different people are isn't it? I get lots of messages when travelling around too - so I can sympathise with the point about it being a pain to keep having to enter the password and so on. But the very first thing I did when I got it was turn the damn preview off, I hate them potentially appearing to people, and the idea of it lighting up when a message comes in fills me with horror. Ah well....
    06-08-14 01:59 PM
    Not the most powerful by any measure and a TERRIBLE camera, but definitely the most battery efficient, which is a major plus. I am a cross-platform user and use/have them all and I've never seen battery life on any device hold a candle to the Z30 (which I think may be even better than my Q10 if that's possible).
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-08-14 04:40 PM
    I can't open candy crush on my Z30 without crashing. So No!
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-08-14 04:58 PM
    Anyone has their own needs but some things require common sense.
    06-08-14 05:03 PM
73 123